Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 10-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Here is one to spark discussion

WHat would you all prefer....

And what do you think would be more reliable over time?

1. A normally aspirated LS3, bored and stroked to 418c.i. All top of the line stuff, long tubes, goal of 600 rwhp or so.

2. A supercharged LS3, 408c.i. or stock c.i. built for boost with forged internals and crank. Build it and put say 10psi to it? Not sure what that HP would be, but maybe 750 or so...

What do you all think. I am working on a Group Purchase for a supercharger system, but could also do it for a normally aspirated set up....Just dont really know what to do!!!
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
I've always had a preference for N/A but that's just me, it just seems more in depth to do N/A tunes. It just seems to easy to do forced induction, I mean with enough cash anything is possible with FI, but with na it's more of an art getting all that you can out of an engine.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
ZZcamaro

But what do you think would be the most reliable?

I would also think the N/A motor would be more fuel efficient....you are making the HP with less air since there is no forced induction.

I am considering building a motor next winter, or I would buy a blower this spring, and maybe forge the internals next winter.... Can't really decide, but I must say it would be SICK to put down over 600 at the rear all motor!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
on 10psi with a supercharger it would be real hard to get 750 hp, with a turbo maybe with amazing tuning that would be possible. I think really though there is no wrong way to go, im looking at an APS twin turbo

thats on stock internals which after a while i will replace with forged goodies. but it shows the potential of the stock motor with a "little" boost.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Talk to WMholden, he's probably one of the best guys on here in regards to forced induction. Send him a private message if he doesn't see this thread he seems pretty amicable so he should be very helpful.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm thinking I'll do the Cam swap and get the engine to 480 and be done with it. Today they shot down my dreams of a factory LS7 :( I was really hoping for a 1 off VIN.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 PM   #7
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinZero View Post
I'm thinking I'll do the Cam swap and get the engine to 480 and be done with it. Today they shot down my dreams of a factory LS7 :( I was really hoping for a 1 off VIN.
lol sorry bro...
Old 10-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #8
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
The beauty of forced induction is that you can usually maintain decent fuel economy. A naturally aspirated motor with big displacement and high revs will send your fuel economy to crap and most likely make it more difficult to meet emissions. I don't even know if a FI car would meet those anyway.

As far as reliability goes, a built motor like that is likely going to be decently reliable. But with high hp applications, you're always going to be pushing the limits of reliability. And as much as I like driving naturally aspirated cars because of the linear torque curves, I would say for a daily driver, FI would be the way to go. If you want a lot of hp for the track and don't mind sacrificing drivability, go all motor.

Last edited by MajorTom; 10-14-2008 at 12:22 AM.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
[QUOTE=ZZcamaro;157303]But what do you think would be the most reliable?

I would also think the N/A motor would be more fuel efficient....you are making the HP with less air since there is no forced induction.

I am considering building a motor next winter, or I would buy a blower this spring, and maybe forge the internals next winter.... Can't really decide, but I must say it would be SICK to put down over 600 at the rear all motor[QUOTE]

Didn't see your post til after I posted mine.

No. A NA motor with big displacement and high hp would not be more fuel efficient. The motor is having to work harder to flow the same air. Which it would still have to flow lots of air to make good power. And modern superchargers are efficient at low rpm so there wouldn't be a lot of drag forcing your engine to work hard at low RPM.

Not to mention that the cam that would be needed to make 600 hp at the wheels would be rough and make your car idle really crappy and possibly not even make great power off the line.

Trust me. For high horsepower daily driven cars, FI is the way to go.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:12 AM   #10
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
All of the above are good points... but nothing says "get out of the way" like the sound of a SC.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #11
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evotion View Post
All of the above are good points... but nothing says "get out of the way" like the sound of a SC.
How about a jet turbine strapped to your Camaro?
96CAMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
ZZcamaro

So it looks like you all suggest going for the supercharger...then building a good block for it over next winter?

I woudl think that should be very doable. I would build a block with all forged internals, the best rings I can get, ported heads, some type of headers....then I would up the boost. What compression ratio should I build for? 9:1 8.5:1?? At 10pse, what do you think my RWHP numbers could be?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Ever since owning the 04 cobra .. I say build the engine and put some sort of boost to it ...

Maybe not the highest HP numbers, but a built LS3 w/ a KB Sitting on top would put out some NASTY torque I'm sure .... Just plain FUN.

Crowley
Old 10-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
ZZcamaro

COme on give me some legit HP numbers you think that motor could do. I want this to be the ultimate daily driveable, untouchabe (for less than a ferrari!!) street monster!!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
COme on give me some legit HP numbers you think that motor could do. I want this to be the ultimate daily driveable, untouchabe (for less than a ferrari!!) street monster!!
ferrari's dont have torque and are wusses off the line...

id say 650hp is very doable with a magnacharger, im not sure about the procharger though...
Old 10-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #16
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
on 10psi with a supercharger it would be real hard to get 750 hp, with a turbo maybe with amazing tuning that would be possible.
Why would a turbo be able to accomplish something a supercharger can't? they both force air into the same manifold, just through different methods

(honest question, in case u thought i was being a smart ass)
Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #17
ZZcamaro

I am in the same boat. I would think the Supercharger could do the same...and I would also think the Super would do it with less lag, and less heat.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #18
bballr4567

Drives: 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Why would a turbo be able to accomplish something a supercharger can't? they both force air into the same manifold, just through different methods

(honest question, in case u thought i was being a smart ass)
A TC will make more upper RPM power then a SC by far. A SC becomes less efficent as the RPMs climb and a TC gets more efficent.

A SC, specifically a Kenne Belle, will make some HUGE gains in the lower RPM curve. If you want torque get a SC. If you want to make huge gains in the top end then go TC.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #19
headpunter

the Supercharger leeches horsepower since it is belt driven, thats why.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #20
ZZcamaro

now lets remember we want a daily driver car....so what would you recommend for that a SC or Turbo (single or twin) set up?
This is a tough decision, but I want to make up my mind so that I can start talking to me distributors and manufacturers to start stockpiling my parts!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #21
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Well .. with the 03/04 cobras and the 4.6 32v engine (which has internals that are "built" already) using Whipples/KBs are very streetable at about 600rwhp .. I don't see why if you built the LS3 interneals to withstand it, you couldn't get 700rwhp and have it be streetable .. (as a matter of fact, I think some GT500's are seeing this with the larger displacement 5.4L 32v engines ..)

Crowley
Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #22
headpunter

any of the above options will work great, magnachargers are fantastic, STS, APS, etc all make great turbo systems. its all really to the point of what do you like your self? which do you think is the coolest personally because they will all give you similar overall performance. just some little nuances will be different
Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #23
Yeahyouknwit

Drives: 2003 Mustang Gt Conv.
ok so i have never had a SC or a turbo. what would i have to do to my camaro engine to be able to run with a SC?
Yeahyouknwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #24
bballr4567

Drives: 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
the Supercharger leeches horsepower since it is belt driven, thats why.
That is true but SC still arent near as efficent in the upper RPMs as a TC. They also will likely produce higher heat depending on the type of SC.

If you are on the fence about what system to build go ride in a car with each. A good H/C car is pretty damn fun to have and is FAR cheaper then a good force induction build.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #25
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
A TC will make more upper RPM power then a SC by far. A SC becomes less efficent as the RPMs climb and a TC gets more efficent.

A SC, specifically a Kenne Belle, will make some HUGE gains in the lower RPM curve. If you want torque get a SC. If you want to make huge gains in the top end then go TC.
thanks, that makes sense i like torque gains over HP, so i'm sticking my the SC preference