Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
chicagojoe16

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Car is 'Pulsing' Power

I have an SS with the LS3. I've been experiencing something that is kinda scary at times, I'm hoping someone here can give me advice. If I'm at a stop and decide to put the hammer down, I'll be fine in first gear but once I put it in second gear the car starts to give power in pulses. My right foot is still on the pedal but the car is jerking forward about every half second. Any idea what the problem is? Would the battery reset help this? A mechanical engineering friend of mine suggested that perhaps it's due to the way the body shop at my Chevy dealer put the left front wheel on after my accident back in January. He thought it might be a traction control issue.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Do you have any mods?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
wbdinger

Drives: NSMNJW=2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
kinda sounds like traction control cutting in an out ?
DYI Clearcoated Brake Calipers,
Eibach pro 1" lowering springs,
GM Heratige grill,
GM skipshift eliminator,
GMPP 92206992 Exhaust
2-10" Kenwood subs w/350watt pioneer amp
RiderGraphics hood spears/gill outlines
wbdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
BikeRacer13

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojoe16 View Post
I have an SS with the LS3. I've been experiencing something that is kinda scary at times, I'm hoping someone here can give me advice. If I'm at a stop and decide to put the hammer down, I'll be fine in first gear but once I put it in second gear the car starts to give power in pulses. My right foot is still on the pedal but the car is jerking forward about every half second. Any idea what the problem is? Would the battery reset help this? A mechanical engineering friend of mine suggested that perhaps it's due to the way the body shop at my Chevy dealer put the left front wheel on after my accident back in January. He thought it might be a traction control issue.

I know exactly what you're referring to as I was experiencing the same thing. I took it back to the dealer, they did a 'reprogram of the ECM for power hop' at launch. This seemed to work for about 1 1/2 - 2 months of daily driving, but now I'm having the same problem again. Guess I'm gonna take her back in again but this time I want them to find what's causing this. No mods. Yet.
BikeRacer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Maybe try the fuse pull, 5 and 20 for 3 hours.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Dave2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Maybe try the fuse pull, 5 and 20 for 3 hours.
He has the LS3, the fuse pull is for the L99.

Richmond (Houston), TX
Dave2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
mmm weird... tell us when you find out
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Take to dealer. Let them fix it.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpsyphered View Post
He has the LS3, the fuse pull is for the L99.

It works for the LS3 as well...at least it did for mine. Noticed an immediate difference.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
Dave2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
It works for the LS3 as well...at least it did for mine. Noticed an immediate difference.

Oh ok.. then I stand corrected. I thought the battery disconnect was for the LS3.

Whatever works!!

Richmond (Houston), TX
Dave2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
Scott@Bjorn3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpsyphered View Post
Oh ok.. then I stand corrected. I thought the battery disconnect was for the LS3.

Whatever works!!
Battery disconnect is not needed for either car. Just 3 hour fuse pull. There is a battery backup unit for ECM so the battery disconnect may have to be for days.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Old 05-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
chicagojoe16

No mods, don't really know what you mean by traction control sound. I think I'll try the fuse pull, see if that does anything. I can't get to my dealer for a while as I am at college until the end of May so hopefully the the fuses take care of it.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
R1CH

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Check the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor); make sure it's tightened down all the way and not loose.
R1CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:

Sounds like the traction control is kicking in when you shift into 2nd which limits power to the wheels when they try to spin.

Before you do anything, turn off the traction control and try it again. If your issue goes away, then this is what it is and pulling the fuses nor the dealer can help you as the car is running normal.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
The 2010 Sin
CorkTulsa.com

Drives: 2010 2SS BLK, 2013 2SS CRT
I noticed it in my car also but its not a power thing. its a traction control thing im sure. were you on competitive mode in your traction control?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
chicagojoe16

This occurs when I have both traction control and stability control on, I have not driven my car with either of them off. I really want to though, just afraid I'll wreck the car.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
Scott@Bjorn3D

Just tap the button once for traction control to be off and see if it goes away. If it does then you need to not rev it as high shifting gears. If it is doing it at low RPM shifts with traction control on, but fine with it off you need to go to dealer.

Fuse pull will not hurt. Just do not go inside the car or try to start it with the fuses pulled. That does cause and problem.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
upstateny

Drives: 2012 ZL1
i experienced the same thing-
while holding the gas pedal steady, there is a very noticable "pulsing" of power. That describes it perfectly, almost as if the flow of fuel isn't consistent. It was bone stock. I have since installed the vararam tune only intake. I dont get the sense its the traction control. I just had LT headers/borla axle back and tune by Jannetty today- I haven't noted that pulsing yet after about 300 miles.
upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #19
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2SS/RS IBM M6-when she lets me
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeRacer13 View Post
I know exactly what you're referring to as I was experiencing the same thing. I took it back to the dealer, they did a 'reprogram of the ECM for power hop' at launch. This seemed to work for about 1 1/2 - 2 months of daily driving, but now I'm having the same problem again. Guess I'm gonna take her back in again but this time I want them to find what's causing this. No mods. Yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
i experienced the same thing-
while holding the gas pedal steady, there is a very noticable "pulsing" of power. That describes it perfectly, almost as if the flow of fuel isn't consistent. It was bone stock. I have since installed the vararam tune only intake. I dont get the sense its the traction control. I just had LT headers/borla axle back and tune by Jannetty today- I haven't noted that pulsing yet after about 300 miles.
I had the same problem...
We confirmed this during some dyno pulls! My LS3 only pulled 343 and we could clearly see the pulsing on the dyno sheet, I freaked out. I posted and "Uncle Ted" from Jannetty Racing responded, he told me I had BAD gas and the ECU had pulled timing and set the car to a different fuel timing table, something to do with the octane level. I ran all the gas out of the car and ran another tank though the car and went back to the dyno. I did do a fuse pull after I ran through the tank of good gas, I got 388rwhp
I live in So Cal so the best I can get at the pump is 91 and I have found that the car is "picky" I hope this helps and works for you also!!!
:flag2:
Old 05-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #20
chicagojoe16

Quote:
Originally Posted by comm54 View Post
I had the same problem...
We confirmed this during some dyno pulls! My LS3 only pulled 343 and we could clearly see the pulsing on the dyno sheet, I freaked out. I posted and "Uncle Ted" from Jannetty Racing responded, he told me I had BAD gas and the ECU had pulled timing and set the car to a different fuel timing table, something to do with the octane level. I ran all the gas out of the car and ran another tank though the car and went back to the dyno. I did do a fuse pull after I ran through the tank of good gas, I got 388rwhp
I live in So Cal so the best I can get at the pump is 91 and I have found that the car is "picky" I hope this helps and works for you also!!!
:flag2:
Interesting...I'm only putting premium in my car, usually it's 93 octane. I'll do the fuse pull as soon as I can, probably tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #21
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I've had the problem for over 17k miles. I've been told multiple things, everything from the fuse pull to the CAI needing to be replaced. The engine is bone stock and "pulses" even when I'm not getting on it. I will be swapping out my CAI, Headers, Mid Pipes and bolting on a KB. I'm sure that will fix it.