Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

View Poll Results: What Do You Think It Will Be?
Twin Turbo V6 (Leno Car) 14 10.61%
Supercharged V8 (LSA etc.) 118 89.39%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Dboy23
2G1FB1EV7A9100028

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Hemi
New To This, Got An Idea (Poll)

I have a feeling that the Z28 is going to be a lot like the Jay Leno car, too many hints and with cafe standards it's gonna be hard not to be. They might just offer a special edition SS with the S/C, too many company's with Superchargers for the Camaro for GM to do it too. I'm thinking Twin Turbo 6 with racing suspension/brakes etc. input, ideas? Try to keep it clean guys, just asking opinions, check out the Poll.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
oldbowtie

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 2013 Regal GS
I think S/C 8. To be in the league with performance "muscle" it has to make a statement with power from a V8. IMHO
oldbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
I dont think anyone else has come up with this idea yet...(not gunna say im 100% sure about that tho)

What if GM released a TT z28 and a LS9 ZL1

Just saying it would fit with what they represent. The Z28 being a high-revving track car and the ZL1 being a monster

I know its a long shot...but just throwing it out there...
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT 99 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to CAP'N B
I already have my SS but they shouldn't even offer the Camaro with a V6, much less a Z28 with a V6,V8, monster cubes, Supercharger or Turboed, and a race level automatic tranny
Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
hollywoodGU

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP'N B View Post
I already have my SS but they shouldn't even offer the Camaro with a V6, much less a Z28 with a V6,V8, monster cubes, Supercharger or Turboed, and a race level automatic tranny
Just an FYI ppl like you get flamed a lot on this site!
40 posts and already saying something like this???
To me it just sounds ignorant
Camaro's shouldn't be offered as a v6? Name one year in the HISTORY of the camaro that a V6 wasn't offered.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
RSHugger

Drives: 1969 RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
Camaro's shouldn't be offered as a v6? Name one year in the HISTORY of the camaro that a V6 wasn't offered.
or straight 6 for the early years.

V6 is needed in the line up for those people who just don't need/want the horse power and want the looks and styling of the Camaro... AND the v6 kicks some serious butt with the efficiency and HP it has... win win situation.

RSHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
what hints say TT v6? because obviously you are ignoring all the other hints too. . .choosing to only see what you want to see? IF the Z28 were a TT v6 it would need to put out more then the 420 hp the jay leno put out. the weight of the turbo's and such negate any benefit they give to performance. just sayin. . .jay leno's camaro is not a good choice. and a low volume HI performance car like the Z28 is speculated to be would not impact Corp. average that much.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
G8GT4now

Drives: 09 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
what hints say TT v6? because obviously you are ignoring all the other hints too. . .choosing to only see what you want to see? IF the Z28 were a TT v6 it would need to put out more then the 420 hp the jay leno put out. the weight of the turbo's and such negate any benefit they give to performance. just sayin. . .jay leno's camaro is not a good choice. and a low volume HI performance car like the Z28 is speculated to be would not impact Corp. average that much.
Exactly!
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
Dboy23
2G1FB1EV7A9100028

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
Well just looking at previous years the Z28 has never had more power output than the SS (if I'm not mistaken). No matter what if the Z28 has an LSA and ends up with 556 HP it won't compare to some of the Mustangs, and definitely won't compare to the GT500 price wise. The GT500 starts at $48,000 and has 550 HP, to compare the CTS-V has 556 HP and starts at $62,000. Also to top it off the Mustang is lighter, it just wouldn't make sense for GM to do something like the Z28 and have it be a S/C V8.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
cHaotix

Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Send a message via AIM to cHaotix Send a message via MSN to cHaotix Send a message via Yahoo to cHaotix
This thread has been made a billion times.
cHaotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
hollywoodGU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSHugger View Post
or straight 6 for the early years.

V6 is needed in the line up for those people who just don't need/want the horse power and want the looks and styling of the Camaro... AND the v6 kicks some serious butt with the efficiency and HP it has... win win situation.

thanks 4 the correction lol i was up too late
yes, I meant ANY 6 cylinder (l6 or v6)
Old 05-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I know nothing official has been released, but I would be floored if it were anything but the V8 with everything I have read.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
BustedCrank

Drives: Broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboy23 View Post
Well just looking at previous years the Z28 has never had more power output than the SS (if I'm not mistaken). No matter what if the Z28 has an LSA and ends up with 556 HP it won't compare to some of the Mustangs, and definitely won't compare to the GT500 price wise. The GT500 starts at $48,000 and has 550 HP, to compare the CTS-V has 556 HP and starts at $62,000. Also to top it off the Mustang is lighter, it just wouldn't make sense for GM to do something like the Z28 and have it be a S/C V8.
The SS had a higher rating in the first gen and that was it. Cant really count the 4th gens because the SS was made by SLP and was the exact same motor.

Its not just the motor you are paying for in the cts-v. A camaro with that engine could sell for less then 60k. And it makes perfect sense for them to use the LSA, much less engineering to go into it.
BustedCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedCrank View Post
The SS had a higher rating in the first gen and that was it. .
That may be it, but that is THE generation. SS was in the early 70's and didn't show up again until the 1996 SS when again it had more power than the Z28. SS is a very powerful moniker, but it's life on the Camaro really hasn't been that long.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #16
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z28 + 2015 Z/28 F250 SD
So, if a one off engine setup (Leno's) has the rumor mill going about the Z/28....I'll add another log, err engine to the fire!
Our Camaro club was invited to bring our cars to have them on display at The Vintage Grand Prix in Pittsburgh, Pa. I can't remember the year, but it had to have been around 2000 or a few years after that. We take our cars (mine an original '69 Z/28 i've owned since 1973) to the show where I met FbodFather for the first time. I remember talking to Scott and some other GM folks (they brought 3 camaros too) about various things. Scott wanted to hear my ole 302(chambered exhaust) run some, so I obliged....and he dang near cried I think! Then the conversation turns from my 302 to the one off 302 they were building/built for a 199x's Camaro that had been half destroyed. They were re-doing it for whatever reason and dropping this one off 302 into it. I've never heard anymore about this car. Maybe they'll redo a 302 with all this money they are pouring into v8s! Hey, anything is possible. With todays/tomorrows technology you could be shifting at 8,000 and making all the horsepower you would need. Food for thought?
Anyone else ever hear of this car? It was owned by GM at the time.

Oh,fwiw department, yes I still shift the ole 302 at 7000 a few times a year, although i only put about 150 miles a year on it. Ain't nothin' like a small block twisting up,up and up some more!
macalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #17
SpeedDemon21

Drives: 69' Z/28 Camaro Black on Red
I think it would be cool if they specaily made a smaller high reving V8. Can be tt or sc, I don't care if it was this case, but that would be financailly impossible. It would be like the good-old days though.
SpeedDemon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I've said it before, I'll say it again. A TTV6 Z28 (like Jay Leno's car) makes absolutely no sense. The only thing that might get carried over is the styling. Why doesn't it make sense? Well, it would deliver about the same power as an SS. With about the same weight as an SS. For more money than an SS. Probably with the same fuel economy too. While the V6 you start with is lighter than a V8 by 50-75 lbs, a pair of turbo chargers do not weigh 0 pounds. And their plumbing doesn't either. And neither does the intercooler. Plus, GM would have to extensive (and expensive) R&D for a low volume engine. So the millions upon millions of dollars spend on R&D and tooling would get spread across a small number of engines. The LSA has an assembly line running, its development paid for, and offers a lot bigger performance gain than a TTV6 would. The CAFE argument isn't too strong either. GM will sell around 5000 Z28's per year. Their total US fleet is in the millions, so several thousand Z28's getting something like 15/21 will hardly be felt. Strangely, the SS will likely be a bigger strain on their CAFE score than the Z28 will, due to volume.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #19
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboy23 View Post
and? you are taking history and trying to fit it to your expectations. plus the CTS-V is a luxury car. the engine is only a $13,000 engine. while the LS3 I believe is around 6k in itself. so it's only a 7 k upgrade just for the engine. there are many threads that break the pricing down on how easy it would be to compete with price on the GT500. and just because the lsa is 556 hp in the CTS doesn't mean it would be that in the camaro. just look at the V-6 for a quick example. the camaro gets 6 more horses. . .just a start.

And who says it can't be a Gen V engine with direct injection. . .? you are speculating on a car that hasn't even been confirmed by official channels. who knows what's under the hood.

the comment about the mustang being lighter. that doesn't matter in the 1320 according to what I recently read in car and driver. the mustang still did a 13.2 while the camaro did a 13.0. obviously something that close is going to be a drivers race but it's still a point. if the car performs you can't really say too much about it's weight. and think about it. If it performs and you can drop weight personally. think how much better it would perform then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I've said it before, I'll say it again. A TTV6 Z28 (like Jay Leno's car) makes absolutely no sense. The only thing that might get carried over is the styling. Why doesn't it make sense? Well, it would deliver about the same power as an SS. With about the same weight as an SS. For more money than an SS. Probably with the same fuel economy too. While the V6 you start with is lighter than a V8 by 50-75 lbs, a pair of turbo chargers do not weigh 0 pounds. And their plumbing doesn't either. And neither does the intercooler. Plus, GM would have to extensive (and expensive) R&D for a low volume engine. So the millions upon millions of dollars spend on R&D and tooling would get spread across a small number of engines. The LSA has an assembly line running, its development paid for, and offers a lot bigger performance gain than a TTV6 would. The CAFE argument isn't too strong either. GM will sell around 5000 Z28's per year. Their total US fleet is in the millions, so several thousand Z28's getting something like 15/21 will hardly be felt. Strangely, the SS will likely be a bigger strain on their CAFE score than the Z28 will, due to volume.

thank you my point exactly (first post) better explained. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #20
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
It better be a V8
Old 05-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #21
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm under the impression that the TTV6 was a feeler to see how people responded to a Camaro with that configuration. After all, GM is working on a 3.0L TTV6 that might go into a future Camaro and other products. The Leno car also may have been a feeler for a different styling package. The response was very positive for the hood and fog light assemblies. This styling package could be a Z28, just as rumor has predicted.

We can only speculate until GM tells us something solid.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #22
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
I hope they produce more than 5000.
If people are willing to buy them they should make them. The more they sell the more money they make and the happier the customer is.
Mark

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
I hope they produce more than 5000.
If people are willing to buy them they should make them. The more they sell the more money they make and the happier the customer is.
Mark
That was a guess on my part. Could be 10,000. But there just isn't a market to support tens of thousands of Z28's each year. It will be roughly in line, in terms of volume, as the SRT8's and the GT500's.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 05-11-2010, 04:13 AM   #24
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT 99 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to CAP'N B
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
This is a public forum and If u feel like their should be a v6 then you're entitled to your opinion , I'm just using this forum to express mine. Have I tried to tell anyone on here that they can't have their opinion, isn't this a free country. I see there are other people on here that feel the same, why didn't you dog them out too
V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8
Old 05-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP'N B View Post
This is a public forum and If u feel like their should be a v6 then you're entitled to your opinion , I'm just using this forum to express mine. Have I tried to tell anyone on here that they can't have their opinion, isn't this a free country. I see there are other people on here that feel the same, why didn't you dog them out too
V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8
Often, its not what gets said, but rather how it is said.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum