Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Sully

Drives: Orange 2SS/RS LS3
can some one break down the exhaust for me?

ok so this is probably going to bounce around and be all over the place but i'll do my best to try and keep the questions straight

so after doing some research the way im seeing it is that there are 3 components that make up the full exhaust
stock exhaust manifold (connected to the engine)
stock midpipe? (were the cats are located? connects manifold to exhaust?)
then the stock exhaust itself that runs the length of the car?
am i correct so far?

so a cat back exhaust would replace the 3rd part mentioned?
headers would replace the 1st part mentioned?
now another curveball... Long tubes replace parts 1 and 2? deletes the cats?
and shorties just replace the stock manifold? and keep the stock cats?
is this also the reason i hear that shorties DO NOT throw codes and long tubes do?

im just trying to get a better understanding of how all this works since theres tons of questions on it, and i'd like to know more before i start upgrading
im sure im wrong on multiple parts here so any input would be great
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
Longtubes replace the manifolds and the cats. You can get longtubes with high flow cats, or without cats. long tubes is your best best to make a big power gain.

Shortie headers just replace the manifolds, but has been shown they yeild no power gains, or actually cause you to lose power.

A cat back replaces everything from the cats back. The whole exhaust system comes off with 2 clamps and 4 hangers.

There are a couple threads about long tubes not throwing codes and guys running them without a tune. obviously to maximize the long tubes, get a tune.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Sully

Drives: Orange 2SS/RS LS3
i see.... so i have the basic concept down
i dont want to tune cause i dont want to kill the warranty, sounds like bolt ons are ok, but the tune is what gets ya
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
i see.... so i have the basic concept down
i dont want to tune cause i dont want to kill the warranty, sounds like bolt ons are ok, but the tune is what gets ya
Depends on the dealer.. some are finicky with them, some will tell you to pound sand, and a few will look the other way as long as it's nothing that you definitely caused that is needing to be fixed.. If you know someone there...it definitely helps.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote