Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Has anyone used a single DIN radio with the Metra Kit yet? Any photos?

I am torn on what direction I go with my head unit. I just started the gutting this weekend and I have most of my equipment on hand.

I have two of the best single DIN head units ever made but everyone is telling me to use a new Double DIN unit like the Kennwood 9960. I am all into sound rather than I Phone type gizmos for me to play with and crash in NY traffic.

Pioneer just brought the 99 unit to the US from Japan and it appears to be an amazing audiophile piece.

Il be honest I don't care much about Bluetooth or the Nav because I am building my car for local track use and shows. I never use the Bluetooth now when I drive the Camaro. As for On Star it gets me lost always and I can easily buy a $200 Garmin for my glovebox if I desired.

From an aesthetic perspective I want to see how a single DIN will look with or without a 1/2 DIN EQ below.

I like the way the Metra kits looks with the Double DIN but then I need to spend like $2k on another head unit just for that look.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Should be able to show you some photos in a couple weeks. Also went single DIN to avoid the gimmicks of DDIN.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
IMO - I would go double din. they arent that much more expensive... the Pioneer premier I put in my wifes car was under 300.00. has front/rear/sub 4v pre-outs, built-in blue tooth, wireless remote, controls an Ipod, plays music from a USB, aux input and looks great.

This is the one I got for her and will be getting for my Camaro:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...FH-P800BT.html

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
If you have the right equipment already go with it.. but for a show car double DIN is best..
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
the single din he is referring to is a high end piece, usually retails in the range of 1000-1200 bucks. just because it is a single din unit does not mean it is cheaper or less expensive. this is also considered a high end audio piece because it does not have all the added stuff that are more flash and gadgets in radios these days. the Unit he is talking about is designed to give some of the best audio output available for car audio...

55Designs, I think you could make the single din setup look good, but I would stay away form the little 1/2 din eq's and look at something from Audio Control or even possibly the Bitone from Audison.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
the single din he is referring to is a high end piece, usually retails in the range of 1000-1200 bucks. just because it is a single din unit does not mean it is cheaper or less expensive. this is also considered a high end audio piece because it does not have all the added stuff that are more flash and gadgets in radios these days. the Unit he is talking about is designed to give some of the best audio output available for car audio...

55Designs, I think you could make the single din setup look good, but I would stay away form the little 1/2 din eq's and look at something from Audio Control or even possibly the Bitone from Audison.
I think my Mac MX5000 might look killer in the Camaro. We will see I need to speak to a real Pioneer Guru to learn more about there 99RS unit.
Gutted the entire car and its fully Dynamat Extreme. 150+ Sqft of it. Now the car is dead solid.

The entire system is planned but the darn head unit integration has me vexed on what to do. I am not feeling the Metra kit.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
I think my Mac MX5000 might look killer in the Camaro. We will see I need to speak to a real Pioneer Guru to learn more about there 99RS unit.
Gutted the entire car and its fully Dynamat Extreme. 150+ Sqft of it. Now the car is dead solid.

The entire system is planned but the darn head unit integration has me vexed on what to do. I am not feeling the Metra kit.

Not a big fan of the Metra Kit either, but it is all we have ATM so use it. I think painting to match body color makes it look better.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Team Stinger
Old 05-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
I agree with IAS, while the Metra kit isn't perfect, it's pretty much the only choice. The Mac will make it look tons better, as would painting it to trim out the interior.

There is the setup from lblaudio? It's quite a bit more pricey, but retains the factory knobs and such.

I'd get the Metra kit, install the single din adaptor, glass over it, smooth it out so there are no seams, paint to preference and call it a day.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
55Designs

this is why i hate the Metra kit. This install was for a Pioneer show car at CES. The head unit is the one I am interesting in getting. I like the unit because it has a ton of features my MX5000 doesnt have. I also feel my mac is overkill for the Camaro and really should go in a high line luxury car one day.

So far I surgically remoted all the OEM internals and I am just waiting for a definite on the radio to do all the detail work.

I am also going to try and find a solution so i can paint my OEM fascia and retain some of the back lit illumination.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
The 2010 Sin
CorkTulsa.com

Drives: 2010 2SS BLK, 2013 2SS CRT
I would love to see the rest of this install.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

I think I would have to make the deck sit on the top and maybe get a pocket or something else below it.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Team Stinger
Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
mthurman04

Drives: 2010 ss
We didn't like the metra kit when we built that Piioneer car but we only had three weeks to complete it and Metra was the only one out there. It looks a lot better in person. It also looks smaller in that picture because we molded the decks trim ring to the kit. All that you are seeing is the faceplate. In the picture you can't really tell but the piece is painted gloss black to match the trim on the pioneer speakers. We thought that there would be too much carbon so we painted it. That is an amazing deck and I'm considering pulling out my Z110 in my GTO an putting the 99 in.
mthurman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthurman04 View Post
We didn't like the metra kit when we built that Piioneer car but we only had three weeks to complete it and Metra was the only one out there. It looks a lot better in person. It also looks smaller in that picture because we molded the decks trim ring to the kit. All that you are seeing is the faceplate. In the picture you can't really tell but the piece is painted gloss black to match the trim on the pioneer speakers. We thought that there would be too much carbon so we painted it. That is an amazing deck and I'm considering pulling out my Z110 in my GTO an putting the 99 in.
Neat your the one who did the car. What is your shops info PM me if possible Id like to ask you about the 99 deck and the A Pillar pods. I am making similar stuff for my car. Is the 99 deck easy to use? Does it let the user defeat DSP, Time alignment and the EQ for a clean stereo signal?