Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
Corsa, Magnaflow, Dynomax or Walker Exhaust?

Ok guys here's the deal. I'm looking for a muffler with the following specs. I don't really want pricing, as I'm just looking for the specs.

Muffler needs to be:

Straight through Design
3" in/3" out
Fit the Camaro without any modification to the body/frame
Be as quiet as humanly possible

I really like my sleeper set up and would like to keep it that way. I'm going to install headers and have custom exhaust piping done (mandrel bent 3") so the car will be considerably louder than normal. I want to try and counteract that as much as possible to keep my car a sleeper.

Thanks in advance...
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
AlSuwaidi


 
AlSuwaidi's Avatar
 
Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UAE - SHARJAH
Posts: 2,878
maybe a magna street version, or borla street version (im not sure exactly on the name but not the S or ATAK)
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
66 views and no replies?
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
wbt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
66 views and no replies?
It is a hard question to answer. What is quiet to one may be too loud for another.

IMO if I were looking for performance and low noise level I would go with:

http://www.cherrybomb.com/products/vortex

Unique design on the market that I feel would meet your requirements.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
Looks like a quality product. CFM is pretty close to straight 3" piping too. I'll see if I can find some sound clips. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Scrappy Doo


 
Scrappy Doo's Avatar
 
Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: W8n 4 Snow, Minnesota
Posts: 4,646
MAgnaflow.

I got the 16579, I know it's a 2.5" system and you asked for 3", but it was ridiculous quiet. Could hardley tell the difference from stock. (I cut out the resonated x pipe and put in a true x pipe, and it's a lot louder now.)
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #7
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
I'm looking at part# 12219 from Magnaflow. Looks pretty solid.

Any other options?
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
MileMAN402
RIP JoePa
 
MileMAN402's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2001 Audi S4
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 640
you definitely want 3" the whole way thru? i was gonna suggest noweeds diverters right behind the cats, that way its a sleeper but if you get next to some punk in a civic you can scare the crap out of him
__________________
MileMAN402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
alssiri

 
alssiri's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 A6
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 932
I dont know if this is what you want but i love the SOUND
I am running ARH LT with no cats 3" piping all the way + 2 chambered 3" mufflers after the x pipe as resonaters completed with the SLP PowerFlo exhaust, I will try to get a sound clip soon

Ahmad
__________________
2012 ZL1 A6
alssiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileMAN402 View Post
you definitely want 3" the whole way thru? i was gonna suggest noweeds diverters right behind the cats, that way its a sleeper but if you get next to some punk in a civic you can scare the crap out of him
I would look at cutouts/diverters, but that comes later when I have more money. I have to install the headers which have 3" outlet from the cats, which means I have to get the exhaust at the same time. Also because of the headers, I'll drop in boost so I need to get a smaller pulley for the supercharger at the same time. Those two pieces + installation is about what my budget is going to be off the bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alssiri View Post
I dont know if this is what you want but i love the SOUND
I am running ARH LT with no cats 3" piping all the way + 2 chambered 3" mufflers after the x pipe as resonaters completed with the SLP PowerFlo exhaust, I will try to get a sound clip soon

Ahmad
The reason I'm going for quiet is that I leave work at 2 am in San Francisco. I don't want to be pulled over for waking the dead.
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
bump...
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
linkwpc
The punching cat
 
linkwpc's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 4,011
I got my SLP 3" system, you can see my sig for video. But it is a little loud. You can add mufflers to if you wish.
__________________
My car build (COTW 7/23/12) - - - - - - > CLICK HERE! : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80725
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
Camaro54
 
Camaro54's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Ok guys here's the deal. I'm looking for a muffler with the following specs. I don't really want pricing, as I'm just looking for the specs.

Muffler needs to be:

Straight through Design
3" in/3" out
Fit the Camaro without any modification to the body/frame
Be as quiet as humanly possible

I really like my sleeper set up and would like to keep it that way. I'm going to install headers and have custom exhaust piping done (mandrel bent 3") so the car will be considerably louder than normal. I want to try and counteract that as much as possible to keep my car a sleeper.

Thanks in advance...

Here is what I have done to quiten my headers and pipes (3") as much as possible. I found with the L99 the drone is terrible inside the car. It really sucked. I have KOOK headers with 3"cats and exhaust with round Magnaflow mufflers just before the tips. To tone it down I added resonaters (one on each side after the X pipe). That helped a lot. I decided I still needed it quiter so I again added resonaters after the first ones and before the bend at rear end. All of this is straight through. The car purs while crusing ontil you put your foot in it to wake up the SC. It's just right. I'm sure you'd like the sound. I don't know if the same can be accomplished without the resonaters. You'll need a good shop who can custom build your system or modify a shelf system. Good luck. PM me if you need more info.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
So I've narrowed it down to four mufflers

Corsa PB (or is it BP?)
Magnaflow 50 series
Dynomax VT
Walker "Quiet Flow"


Anyone have videos of the above mufflers/catbacks on a car with longtubes?

Thanks!
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
topgun1

 
topgun1's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 1,944
Magnaflow
__________________
5th Gen Camaros of the Carolinas SIM, 2SS/RS LS3 5/7/11 453.9 RWHP 427.5 RWTQ
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #16
mikey8
 
mikey8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS Transformer LS3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
So I've narrowed it down to four mufflers

Corsa PB (or is it BP?)
Magnaflow 50 series
Dynomax VT
Walker "Quiet Flow"


Anyone have videos of the above mufflers/catbacks on a car with longtubes?

Thanks!
I didn't know that you could buy Corsa Mufflers. I thought they only sold the whole catback or nothing.
__________________
mikey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
Ace
 
Ace's Avatar
 
Drives: On order: Camaro SS/RS,A6, SIM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 83
I am about to drop my car off (tomorrow) for headers and a cam package. I currently have the corsa catback and I as well am concerned about how loud it will be. I reached out to Corsa and received an email from them that stated the following:

"We do have a Touring set up for the Camaro. This was designed for the cars with long tube headers!

This is an axle back set up…because most of the long tube systems come with an x-pipe, our axle back makes the installation pretty easy".


I sent a reply back on Friday asking about the price and availability since they are not on their website. I know Corsa makes touring exhaust for the G8's and Corvettes but I didn't know there was this option for the Camaro.

I will post what I hear back from them!
__________________
2010 Camaro SS/RS, A6, SIM
1100 3/20/09
2000 4/20/09
3000 4/21/09
3300 5/14/09

3400 5/23/09
3800 6/3/09
IN MY GARAGE 6/11/09!!!!!!!!

REBORN BY LIVERNOIS MOTORSPORTS 5/21/2010!
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 AM   #18
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey8 View Post
I didn't know that you could buy Corsa Mufflers. I thought they only sold the whole catback or nothing.
I don't know. I was jut told to check into the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I am about to drop my car off (tomorrow) for headers and a cam package. I currently have the corsa catback and I as well am concerned about how loud it will be. I reached out to Corsa and received an email from them that stated the following:

"We do have a Touring set up for the Camaro. This was designed for the cars with long tube headers!

This is an axle back set up…because most of the long tube systems come with an x-pipe, our axle back makes the installation pretty easy".


I sent a reply back on Friday asking about the price and availability since they are not on their website. I know Corsa makes touring exhaust for the G8's and Corvettes but I didn't know there was this option for the Camaro.

I will post what I hear back from them!
That's good news. I'll definitely reach out to them and see what I can find out.
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:01 AM   #19
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 23,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
66 views and no replies?
I guess when you say 3" in and out it narrows things down. Even with the blower most systems neck down to 2.5 at the axels.

I had prime opportunity to change systems w/ the new car and went right back with Corsa... Driven it for almost a year and love it...
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 AM   #20
wbt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,107
I still think the Cherry Bomb vortex would be the best bet.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #21
godfathercrc
 
godfathercrc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 244
I have corsa no drone from corsa and its not to loud until you put your foot in it when you do it realy sounds awsome

Last edited by godfathercrc; 05-17-2010 at 09:05 AM.
godfathercrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #22
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I guess when you say 3" in and out it narrows things down. Even with the blower most systems neck down to 2.5 at the axels.

I had prime opportunity to change systems w/ the new car and went right back with Corsa... Driven it for almost a year and love it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfathercrc View Post
I have corsa no drone from corsa and its not to loud until you put your foot in it when you do it realy sounds awsome
They have a 3" muffler? I called them and they said they have the touring system but it's a 2.5" muffler. They said that Hennessey and Lingenfelter use their systems on their forced induction systems.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
I still think the Cherry Bomb vortex would be the best bet.
Can't get ahold of them via telephone. Waiting for a call back from someone after leaving a voicemail.
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #23
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 123,985
I have Corsa LS3 system with Dynatech Longtubes and it is awesome.
__________________
Jannetty Racing JRE Street Package
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #24
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,066
is it a) 3" system all the way through and b)quieter than most systems? Would it give a San Francisco police officer reason to pull me over at 2:15am when I leave work (while they're looking for drunks since the bars close at 2am)?
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #25
wbt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
They have a 3" muffler? I called them and they said they have the touring system but it's a 2.5" muffler. They said that Hennessey and Lingenfelter use their systems on their forced induction systems.




Can't get ahold of them via telephone. Waiting for a call back from someone after leaving a voicemail.
Call Jim Gruss at PerformanceExhaustPlus.com

http://www.performanceexhaustplus.com/contact_us/
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official 1/4 Mile (V8) 2010+ Camaro Fast List Merc Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 2617 07-08-2014 02:40 PM
V8 Camaro Aftermarket Exhaust Video Clips Compilation tjbusa Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 470 05-06-2014 02:59 AM
V8 Camaro Performance Upgrades List Milk 1027 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 85 11-11-2013 12:48 PM
EXHAUST Milk 1027 Wiki 2 03-07-2010 09:20 PM
Heard exhaust of L99 tonight - OMG!!! Hylton 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 60 03-06-2010 05:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.