Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Heres one... ordering the Engine cover option...

I didn't order the Body painted engine cover. I noticed in the options list that if you do order it there is no selection of color, which would make me believe that it would come in the color you order the car in. Am I right maybe?

My car is black with the Inferno Orange Interior, if I get that cover I want to get it in Inferno Orange as well, I think that would look cool!
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
I ordered the same color scheme and also wanted the cover to be orange. It is in fact listed as being body colored. I left it on the order with the anticipation that I will make some changes later. Also, depending on the cost of this option, I may delete it anyway and have the factory one painted later if I don't swap it out for something else.
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
I believe the engine cover must be the same as the color of the car. I ordered a silver ice and wanted a colored cover, but, everytime we selected a color for the cover it forced us to change the color of the car to match. It could be just another bug in the order process. I decided not to bother with it until the order is actually ready to go to GM.
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Drives: '11 2SS M6
wouldnt you be able to order the color cover you want through the parts dept. once your car is delivered?

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipj3 View Post
wouldnt you be able to order the color cover you want through the parts dept. once your car is delivered?
Yeah that is what I will most likely do. It just would be nice to get it on the car when it is delivered and have it on the window sticker but whatever.

Its possible once the real order system is available you can select the color, I'm sure that wont happen till January-ish....
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
RCowan

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
What I want to know is, is the cover you are ordering like the one on the silver SS shown at Indy? Or is it like the one below:

Is this the "stock" cover?

Last edited by RCowan; 10-14-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added image
RCowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
i could be wrong but i would bet it would be the silver ss at indy one.
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
My question is, we were told that the engine cover is available in 5 colors (silver, gray, yellow, red, and orange with black being default) but if the cover is body colored what if you order a car that isn't one of these colors?
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
ChrisB

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
My question is, we were told that the engine cover is available in 5 colors (silver, gray, yellow, red, and orange with black being default) but if the cover is body colored what if you order a car that isn't one of these colors?

Are you sure that we get a black one by default?

I always tought the engine cover wasnt standard on any of the models.I think if you dont pay the 285$ to get a colored one then you just dont get any

Last edited by ChrisB; 10-15-2008 at 10:01 AM.
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Are you sure that we get a black one by default?

I always tought the engine cover wasnt standard on any of the models.I think if you dont pay the 285$ to get a colored one then you just dont get any
It was my understanding that the cars come with an engine cover as there was talk of several people not wanting one and was told they would have to take it off when they get home. Also the slide that was shown with the available colors didn't show black that we've been seeing on the pre-pro cars.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
JohnnyCamaro

Drives: 98 Camaro
Quote:
This is JohnnyCamaro AKA John Cox from GM Accessories and this is a great question I wanted to answer for you guys. The engine cover will default to the body color of your vehicle. If you do not want the body color but rather a different color please specify to your dealer. We have distributors who contact the dealer before the vehicle is delivered and confirm the order. At that time the dealer should tell our distributor to deliver an "orange engine cover" as opposed to the black one for the black car as referenced above in one of the threads. I would recommend you telling your dealer what color you want if it is Not the exterior body color.
JohnnyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #12
Bone'Maro

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
I'm different in the respect I would remove the cover to show off the big LS3.
Bone'Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
That really cool to find out...

so let me make sure I have this correct...

I ordered victory red exterior...so the engine cover will be red??
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Does anyone plan to switch to the Corvette style engine covers?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCamaro View Post
This is JohnnyCamaro AKA John Cox from GM Accessories and this is a great question I wanted to answer for you guys. The engine cover will default to the body color of your vehicle. If you do not want the body color but rather a different color please specify to your dealer. We have distributors who contact the dealer before the vehicle is delivered and confirm the order. At that time the dealer should tell our distributor to deliver an "orange engine cover" as opposed to the black one for the black car as referenced above in one of the threads. I would recommend you telling your dealer what color you want if it is Not the exterior body color.
thanks John its nice when we get answers from you GM officials on here
Old 10-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #16
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Thanks a lot John. I was planning on ordering a Rally Yellow SS and if the engine cover already will come as yellow then that will save me some money from not needing to order one separate.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #17
RetroDude
Owner of VIN # 35278

Drives: IBM 2SS, A6, Leather & Sunroof
Quote:

Hi John,

Does this mean that if I order a 2LT/RS in Imperial Blue that the cover would also be painted in Imperial Blue as well or would I just get one of the 5 preselected colours?

Thanks,
RetroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #18
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
I plan to get orange too, since my car will be black with orange stirpes and orange Accents. I really want to see what it will look like.
linkwpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:57 AM   #19
BBfan24

Drives: '10 Black 1SS/RS
can we purchase an engine cover at the dealership? or is this a strictly order from factory kinda thing? and if so, do you think it would be more expensive to purchase and have installed later?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:08 AM   #20
MCMLXIX
1967 Chevelle Pro-Touring

Drives: 1967 Chevelle
Quote:
Thanks a lot John. I was planning on ordering a Rally Yellow SS and if the engine cover already will come as yellow then that will save me some money from not needing to order one separate.
I dont think that's what he meant. If you purchase the Engine Cover Option, it will default to the body color. If you want something else it needs to be specified. If you order a yellow car, you do not automatically get a yellow cover... If you look at the pics from Indy, the yellow car has a gray/black cover. (if I remember correctly)
MCMLXIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #21
iKONA
Banned

Drives: 76 Deville / 05 xB / 06 tC
IMO its a waste because the dealer probably charges several hundred more for the painted engine cover where as if I did it (FYI I'm a pro paint and body expert I'm not just saying this to say it) Id be able to do a better then factory finish for half the price. Factory finish always has a very small amount of orange peel. Thats why if you ever look at a repaired panel it sometimes looks better than the stock one next to it because the refinished one was wet sanded and buffed afterwards.
iKONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #22
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXIX View Post
I dont think that's what he meant. If you purchase the Engine Cover Option, it will default to the body color. If you want something else it needs to be specified. If you order a yellow car, you do not automatically get a yellow cover... If you look at the pics from Indy, the yellow car has a gray/black cover. (if I remember correctly)
This is definately how I read JohnnyCamaro's post.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #23
iKONA
Banned

Drives: 76 Deville / 05 xB / 06 tC
Has anybody ever thought of having their engine covers painted chrome like this?

iKONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #24
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
then again the car at indy might not have that option on the car anyways
Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #25
JohnnyCamaro

Drives: 98 Camaro
Let me clear some things up...

Quote:
This is JohnnyCamaro, AKA, John Cox from GM Accessories and GMPP. If you order a yellow camaro, you will get a yellow engine cover. It does default to body color. This can be ordered at the dealership as well, for someone who asked that question. Also, we dont offer every color so if someone wants a blue one, than they or the dealer would have to paint the black one to blue as an example.
I hope this clears up any confusion.
JohnnyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote