Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: 2SS/RS black/black
Faded paint--roof ditch molding

After 5+ years of sun exposure, the black paint on my roof-ditch moldings has faded beyond repair. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, what was your solution? Repaint? Replace? I'm wondering if I can just order new ones pre-painted and if that would be cheaper than repainting/re-clear-coating them (?). Are they tricky to remove and install? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Mods: Forged LS3 (9.8:1 CR), Maggie TVS 2300 SC with OD rear pulley, Custom Comp cam (223/244, .610/.596, 114 LSA), Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, Dynotech 1-piece driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. 572 rwhp/548 rwtq (Mustang Dyno, 7.5psi, maxed-out injectors). Built & tuned by Lashway Motorsports.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
After 5+ years of sun exposure, the black paint on my roof-ditch moldings has faded beyond repair. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, what was your solution? Repaint? Replace? I'm wondering if I can just order new ones pre-painted and if that would be cheaper than repainting/re-clear-coating them (?). Are they tricky to remove and install? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Im not sure about removal and installation but if I was you I would just buy new ones and they are black to begin with....problem solved.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
Im not sure about removal and installation but if I was you I would just buy new ones and they are black to begin with....problem solved.
The believe the ones you're referring to are unfinished plastic in a dark color. For those of us with the RS package, they're painted in whatever body color you have.
Mods: Forged LS3 (9.8:1 CR), Maggie TVS 2300 SC with OD rear pulley, Custom Comp cam (223/244, .610/.596, 114 LSA), Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, Dynotech 1-piece driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. 572 rwhp/548 rwtq (Mustang Dyno, 7.5psi, maxed-out injectors). Built & tuned by Lashway Motorsports.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/1LE
[QUOTE=fldrummer;7909561]The believe the ones you're referring to are unfinished plastic in a dark color. For those of us with the RS package, they're painted in whatever body color you have.[/QUOTE

The dark color is "black" come on...

And yes Camaro's with the RS package they are painted whatever color the Camaro is.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Same shit happened to mine and I live in the same area as you (probably even passed by one another at car shows, lol).

Looks like early stage clearcoat failure, actually. I've always made sure to wax them too, but they still faded. Your best bet is to just replace from a dealer. I wouldn't trust a body shop to know exactly what kind of paint is meant to go onto those things since I imagine it incorporates a heavy flex additive, which might be why it fades so quick - clearly it's not the same formulation as what goes on the body panels and bumpers. It could also be the rubber substrate, who knows?

My dealer is charging $60.00 each for a brand new painted part, so $120.00 for both moldings. Not too shabby considering it's only noticeable after a couple years.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Same shit happened to mine and I live in the same area as you (probably even passed by one another at car shows, lol).

Looks like early stage clearcoat failure, actually. I've always made sure to wax them too, but they still faded. Your best bet is to just replace from a dealer. I wouldn't trust a body shop to know exactly what kind of paint is meant to go onto those things since I imagine it incorporates a heavy flex additive, which might be why it fades so quick - clearly it's not the same formulation as what goes on the body panels and bumpers. It could also be the rubber substrate, who knows?

My dealer is charging $60.00 each for a brand new painted part, so $120.00 for both moldings. Not too shabby considering it's only noticeable after a couple years.
Yeah, I'm sure we've crossed paths before, LOL... ^That's the answer I was looking for, by the way (thanks). Which dealer did you use? So are you saying they were ordered pre-painted? Any idea what the part #s are? $120 isn't that bad either. Is that just the parts cost or are/did they include installation (I imagine they're easy to replace)? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: A Red 'Maro
Here is a link to a similar thread talking about the same issue, you can apparently remove them yourself but I would take it to a dealer so if they break the dealer is liable and not you

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241319
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194924
J-Crazy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Well, I ordered my car out of state. When I was in the market (mid 2010), it was still hard to get them down here for below MSRP. I ordered from Becky at Rodger's Chevrolet in Detroit and had my car shipped, and I also called her for these replacement parts. I'm sure any dealer down here would get them for the same deal.

Yeah, pre-painted. The parts go to the dealer, the dealer paints them, and then they're sent to you. The good thing about handling it with the dealer is that they are liable if the paint starts to flake off or something (like the above poster said). I don't imagine the formulation of paint used on these RS roof ditch moldings is just a "regular ole' mixture." It probably uses heavy flex additive and a special kind of primer that you might want to make the dealer responsible for.

And they're really easy to uninstall. They just pop right out with minimal effort.

Part # for the moldings themselves for RS Package: 92225861
Part # for the clips (you need 4 of them): 22757072
Old 08-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Thanks for all the tips, guys. 'Big help. Not sure when or where I'll fix these, but I'll figure it out.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
DylanVK

Drives: a few
This is a pretty common point of failure on a lot of newer cars and trucks actually.

Part of the issue is that these channels gather everything that ever hits the roof, rain water, wash water, and then they get tons of sun exposure.

Its important to deep clean them regularly. If they're raw plastic or rubber then cleaning with something like diluted APC Concentrate (8:1 or 10:1 should do it) to remove the oxidized surface. If they are painted or color matched to the vehicle then washing/drying/claying to clean them works.

Once they're clean they need to be conditioned or protected. Raw rubber or plastic should be treated with soemthing like our Exterior Trim Conditioner to give it some UV protection and restore moisture. If its painted then apply your preferred wax or sealant anytime you treat the rest of the paint.

If you stay on top of the care you can prevent the failure a lot of the time. Sometimes if they look bad a good cleaning and dressing might bring them back.
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Well, I finally received my moldings from Maureen@Rodgers Chevy last week and installed them just now. I can't believe how easy it was! 'Just carefully pried the old ones loose from the rear window with a smal flat-head screwdriver and gently pulled them up and off. The original clips were still good so the new ones just snapped right into place. I have to say that this took about 5 minutes to do and took a good 3 years off the age of the car! Thanks everyone for your help and insight. Here are some before and after pics...
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Thanks for the follow up post!

Since you first made this thread, mine are looking even worse. Good to know Maureen came through for you! What did the whole kit n' kaboodle come to price-wise?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
What a difference.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
Stay Fresh Car Care

Drives: Camaro
Awesome
Stay Fresh Car Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #15
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Thanks for the follow up post!

Since you first made this thread, mine are looking even worse. Good to know Maureen came through for you! What did the whole kit n' kaboodle come to price-wise?
$129, including shipping and the clips I didn't need, if I recall.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #16
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
nice job.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #17
xtreme industries

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt RS
I am going to have to have a close look at mine now.
2010 Camaro 2lt RS, IOM on IOM, M6, eibach springs, eibach sways, ported throttle body, black ice-olator, RX catch can, OBX headers - no cats, Pypes cat back, Vibrant resonators, injen intake, DRL over ride, decepticon fender emblems, transformer sill plates, transformer script on cowl, more to come.
xtreme industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I also have this problem. Doesn't this fall under paint warranty? I thought paint warranty was for 6yrs
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #19
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
I also have this problem. Doesn't this fall under paint warranty? I thought paint warranty was for 6yrs
If someone could verify that, then it would save me $130.00.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #20
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Could those of us with non-RS roof ditch moldings replace with the painted ones just as easily? Or is there some difference in the way they are installed?
Old 12-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #21
JTruck

What the hell is a paint warranty?
Old 12-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #22
camarosspower

I think we all have one. It should be good for 6yrs 100000 Mi. I think it covers paint peeling, clear coat peeling, rust etc. I'm not 100% sure anyways thats why I'm asking. I'll probably be going to the dealer soon to see what they say.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #23
JTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
I think we all have one. It should be good for 6yrs 100000 Mi. I think it covers paint peeling, clear coat peeling, rust etc. I'm not 100% sure anyways thats why I'm asking. I'll probably be going to the dealer soon to see what they say.
I've never heard of such a thing. To me it would just be covered in the typical 3yr/36k warranty.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #24
camarosspower

Gm has a 2yr 24k Mi warranty.
3yr 36k Mi warranty bumper to bumper
5yr 100k Mi warranty power train
6yr 100k Mi warranty on paint
8yr 80k Mi warranty on emissions
Maybe I'm missing something else
Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #25
JTruck