Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HRE Wheels
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
how much does it cost to get a car clear coated

i have serious swirls and scratch swirls over the entire surface of my white 2014 SS. i dont know if its to the point that i need a new clear coat but i want to know if anyone on here knows the general price area for getting a new clear coat on a 14 SS.
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
SSJ455

Drives: "Jeanie" 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Did you try polish and a machine? It is much cheaper than getting new clear coat. My car had some serious scratches in the clear as if someone was using the hood as a chair. I used my buffer and some Mother's M105 and M205 and they came out. It takes work but it is worth it. Go to yotube and look up The Junkman. He has some really good videos of taking out scratches.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
RKCamaro13

Drives: 2011 Red 2SSRS A6
You can't just replace clear coat either you repaint the whole car or the much easier and cheaper solution is to polish the car and remove the swirls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MPD1 Z Force hood, 1LE splitter, ZL1 rockers and diffuser, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations emblems, Struct Tower Brace, Foot well Lighting, CNC ported throttle body, Roto-Fab CAI, SW long tube headers, High flow cats, Lethal Racing Prowler Cam, LS3 conversion, Yank 3400 Stall, Corsa 3" cat back exhaust, RX Catch Can, BMR Suspension, BC Coilovers, Slotted and Cross-drilled rotors, Magnuson Supercharger (soon to be).
RKCamaro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
ba2ss

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKCamaro13 View Post
You can't just replace clear coat either you repaint the whole car or the much easier and cheaper solution is to polish the car and remove the swirls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 try this first, but have a professional do it if you've never attempted before. Or if you're insistent on trying yourself, take a look at "junkmans" youtube how to videos first
ba2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Swirls can be fixed easily, however you will need the right tools and products. You're looking at $300-400 if you don't have any detailing supplies. Also 12-24 hours of work depending on what you do and how quickly you can do it. Not including research time.

Your car isn't old enough to be having clear coat failure, which the only fix is to repaint the car.

You will need to wash, clay, mask off trim, compound, polish, and wax/seal your car to get it back to new.

So you can make the investment of trying it yourself, which is cheaper and more rewarding than taking it to a pro. But it's a lot of work and takes a lot of time. Or you can take your car to a reputable detail shop and have it done for you, which I'm sure will run $300+ depending on shop and skill level. Beware of cheap detailers, I'd expect to pay closer to $500 for a clay, compound, polish, and wax/sealant job.

1100 Status - 12/08/15
SPARTAN sui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Before you correct or repaint your car, I would find out what your doing in your wash/dry routine that is causing the swirls first. No sense to do either until you stop putting them in, otherwise you'll end up with the same issue down the road.

My car was heavily swirled when I bought it last November , I was able to negotiate a better price based on this. I used megs D300 on their DMC cutting pad with a Griots Garage 6" polisher, and removed all the swirls. Only a few areas needed a second application.

What are you using to wash the car with? What kind of soap? What kind of mitt, sponge, pad, towels, etc.? I'm assuming since your in California, your under water restriction and your only option is rinseless.

What type of towel are you using to dry?

You need to fix the cause before you fix the problem.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
thegreatwhite

the cause is drive through car washes iv been doing for the past year. obviously iv stopped going through washes. the swirls only appeared after i had it detailed once so i thought maybe it was cause of a buffing job that wasnt good but after talking to a couple guys that own detailing businesses we are 99% sure its fine swirl scratches in the clearcoat from a combo of going through drive through washes that have the scrubbers spinning around on your car, and when i got it detailed once they tried to buff out the swirls an it did not help, only made it worse if anything. one of the guys suggested having the surface cut, polished and then waxed to get out the swirls. for whatever reason the detailer i took to did not cut it he had it clay barred, polished then waxed. which made it look good for about 2 days now the swirls are back to being visible. i have a guy who will cut polish and wax it for 150-200$ which seems completely worth it to me. if the price stretches closer to 300$ for more work than expected im fine with that to if thats what it takes to get the exterior looking good. i work 60+ hours a week i dont have a whole day or the time that it would take to fix the entire surface of the car and i also dont see it worth it to spend hundreds of dollars on detailing equipment if you arent using it all the time. i got some spray wax and meguiars wash n wax which i can use to maintain the car but i dont think it will really benefit me until i get the swirls completely out. i dont want to put a new clear coat on it i dont think thats necessary but i need to know all my options
Old 09-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Be sure and ask your detailer what % of defects you can expect to see removed. The price you stated is kind of low for a full correction. You should be able to find a good reputable detailer that can remove 90-95% of your defects for around $300 or so.

A lot of detailers who do jobs for $150 or so don't remove defects, they just glaze your car to death and it looks good for a couple days to 2 weeks, as you have already experienced.

Instead of putting wax on your car that will last a few weeks up to a few months, go with a sealant that lasts 6 months plus, or if your budget can afford it, a long term coating. These last 2-3 years.

Some detailers offer reasonable maintenance packages, they will wash your car either once a week or once every 2 weeks, apply a wax over your sealant every 2 months, along with vacuuming interior and wipe down to remove any dirt or interior dust.

If you somehow have the energy after those long work days to wash your car, use 2 buckets with grit guards along with your megs soap, you can buy a foamaster bunny K foam gun for less than $30 on amazon, and the rag company sells good microfiber wash mitts and drying towels. If you want the best (IMO) microfiber stuff, check out Microfiber Madness.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 09-16-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
thegreatwhite

what do you think of the soap by armor all called wash wax and protect. its a thick white/silver/grey looking soap. i got that with the intention of using that on saturday or sunday afternoons when i can. iv used it before on a black car i had and i liked it.

yea i plan on finding out for sure what this detailer will be able to remove. the last guy i went to did not 'cut' the surface and the guy i am going to now is the one who said he would 'cut' it first which someone at the body shop today to me is sanding down the clear coat just enough to get any scratches in the clear coat out. thats really my goal here so im only gonna let someone work on it if that can do that. if the cost gets up to 300$ it is what it is, it will be worth having the exterior of my car fixed
Old 09-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #10
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I would spend the money and get the car coated with a quality coating. Thus will make cleaning easier and add a sacrificial layer above the factory clear. Look for a detailer that reps cquartz pro, opticoat, or 22ple brands. Then any swirls that will eventually develop are usually in the sacrificial coating. Stay away from carwashes, car wash fund raisers, Buy only quality products especially things used fro washing or drying. The stuff you can buy at your local store is garbage.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #11
thegreatwhite

also what do you consider the difference between a wax and a sealer. im sure a sealer is more solid and long term but i dont know much about it...
Old 09-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
thegreatwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
I would spend the money and get the car coated with a quality coating. Thus will make cleaning easier and add a sacrificial layer above the factory clear. Look for a detailer that reps cquartz pro, opticoat, or 22ple brands. Then any swirls that will eventually develop are usually in the sacrificial coating. Stay away from carwashes, car wash fund raisers, Buy only quality products especially things used fro washing or drying. The stuff you can buy at your local store is garbage.
what do you mean by quality coating. a sealant?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #13
Nor Cal ZL1

Coatings are quartz or glass based. They can be good for years is properly cared for. Sealants last for maybe 6 months. Here are some coating links for you to look into. The first is fairly easy to apply for the diyer. Keep in mind the paint will need to be corrected before applying anything including wax products for the best result.
http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-pa...ating-kit.html

This is another and is fool proof easy. Another plus is the coating does not need to be polished off for re-application. Just prepped and redone.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/polis...l#.VfoBH4Hn-BY

Here is another outstanding product line and easy application.
http://www.esotericcarcare.com/kamikaze-ism-coat/

Basically it is an additional layer that is very durable that is above the factory clear. Cleaning is a breeze as not much sticks and washing is a breeze using waterless, rinseless, or the traditional 2 bucket method.

Keep in mind much of the damage caused to paint is from poor products, improper techinque. Good products which are many, are most often bought at sources such as autogeek or Adams polishes. Soaps off the shelf do not contain the same ingredients as the upper tier products and can be lacking in lubricants. Washing media also is a big cause of paint damange, so you need to seek out good products from suppliers that are top quality mictofiber. Here is a good starter set up

http://theragcompany.com/Auto-Detail...PLATINUM-P.htm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GbfopTju_es

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o6d9z7DBQUw

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=853Dj5dywJw

Last edited by Nor Cal ZL1; 09-16-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #14
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
also what do you consider the difference between a wax and a sealer. im sure a sealer is more solid and long term but i dont know much about it...
Waxes are carnuba based and provide a certain look. The cost differences usually relate to ease of use and how long it will last. Some good wax products are Adams Americana, Blackfire products, Kamikaze Infinity wax which is a hybrid that has coating properties.... and the list goes on.

Sealants are synthetic based on polymers and typically are longer lasting, but usually have a candy wrapper look when compared to traditional wax. Expected life is around six months.

Coatings are more permanent and offer the higest level of protection, and various looks. Some look like wax, and others like glass sprayed over the paint.

Which route you take depends on what look you are going for, how often you want to detail car, and how much protection you desire.

I have some decent products to include coatings, so seeing that you are in Norcal if your close to me you are welcome to come over and see what works for you. I have polishes, waxes, coatings.

I also use waterless and rinseless wash if your interested in learning about that.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #15
thegreatwhite

where in norcal are you im in stockton. i want to start by just get all scratches on the surface of the car out so i can start from a clean an clear surface then get a good layer of protection on it whether it be a good wax or a sealant or coating like you guys mention and at that point i think i can just maintain it with doing spray waxes an spray wash n waxes like weekly or a couple times a week. then i have a soap for water washes that is a soap an wax in one that iv used before thats good for if it gets real dirty. but i lean towards wax because people have told me if you can keep it waxed that dirt an dust wont stick to the car an it will come off easily with a spray wash n wax an microfiber an an that point you dont have to actually wash your car too often cause nothing will really stick to it.... if coatings or sealants provide longer protection and also that characteristic of not letting dirt stick then id definetely want something like that...
Old 09-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
where in norcal are you im in stockton. i want to start by just get all scratches on the surface of the car out so i can start from a clean an clear surface then get a good layer of protection on it whether it be a good wax or a sealant or coating like you guys mention and at that point i think i can just maintain it with doing spray waxes an spray wash n waxes like weekly or a couple times a week. then i have a soap for water washes that is a soap an wax in one that iv used before thats good for if it gets real dirty. but i lean towards wax because people have told me if you can keep it waxed that dirt an dust wont stick to the car an it will come off easily with a spray wash n wax an microfiber an an that point you dont have to actually wash your car too often cause nothing will really stick to it.... if coatings or sealants provide longer protection and also that characteristic of not letting dirt stick then id definetely want something like that...
Im a couple hours north of Stockton not sure if that works for you. The best detail shop I know of in our area is Detail Maniac. They do opti coat and 22ple coatings. Thier work is outstanding and highly rated.. Coatings will do what you want much longer and safer than the other products. Here is a link to them as well. Asides from myself they are the only others that I allow to touch the paint.

http://www.detailmaniac.com/

http://m.yelp.com/biz/detail-maniac-sacramento-5

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Detail-...39026669459879

They will make it look better than new and show you how to care for it when they are done. Or you can still head up and I can help you but it is a couple of hours away.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #17
Nor Cal ZL1

Here is my wifes car with Blackfire crystal coat. The car has not been washed for a week. This is this evenings rain and an example of water behavior on the coating.
Attached Images