Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS, Black
Opinions requested...

and I don't have a picture, at the moment, so this is sort of a general question.

I ended up with a possibly-caused-by-door damage on my passenger door, right on the crease. The damage to the paint is a bit bigger than the diameter of a pen. But, it looks like it went down to the primer.

So I had called my insurance company, because of fear of exposed metal leading to rust, so I wanted to take care of this ASAP.

I have all the materials to detail my car, I just haven't had a chance this spring yet...so...in theory, I can just clean up that spot, use touch up paint, then compound/polish/wax. It would leave the dent, though.

Or, if I go through my insurance company, they'd get the dent out, but that would also mean they'd (I'd imagine) be sanding and repainting a large section, which could end up years down the line looking different than the rest of the car.

So my question to you guys is...would you go ahead and just clean up the paint, and leave the dent...or have the whole section of the door redone via insurance?

My deductible is $250, and they said after I get the quote from their repair place, I can decide if I want to put the claim through or pay out of pocket (already have a claim number).
Old 04-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Black is the worst color to show any dents or imperfections. I am not sure if they could get that dent out since its on a crease. They would probably end up using a little bit of bondo.
If it was a light color I would just touch it up but it isn't so I would see how much it would cost to get it fixed and then make a decision.

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Black is the worst color to show any dents or imperfections. I am not sure if they could get that dent out since its on a crease. They would probably end up using a little bit of bondo.
If it was a light color I would just touch it up but it isn't so I would see how much it would cost to get it fixed and then make a decision.
You are right about black, because when it reflects something like parking lines, you see it distort with any bit of damage.

I guess it couldn't hurt to get a quote. Perhaps my concerns about them doing a bad job is unfounded. At least, they can probably do a better job than me!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
Its up to you, but if it were me and the damage required a repaint then I would scope out the best shop available to accomplish the work. It could mean that the entire panel will need a repaint, and the adjacent panel will need to be blended to match. I would never accept a spot repair on an otherwise mint car. If the damage is nothing more than a small paint chip (assuming no denting) then I'd just touch it up and move on.

Sometimes with small areas, the repair and paint can be done without base coat repainting the entire panel. Its hard to say whats needed without seeing it, and it will be your best course of action to visit a couple of shops and/or speak with experienced auto body people before making a move. Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i had the same thing happen to my car.because there was a slight dent , the repair cost me $700.00.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
i had the same thing happen to my car.because there was a slight dent , the repair cost me $700.00.
Ouch.

I'm sure this will happen to me a few more times, as it's my daily driver. I think I need to learn how to fix minor body damage myself, even if it isn't 100% perfect. Otherwise I'll go broke, or get dropped from my insurance.

I'll attempt to fix the dent aspect with a dent puller, but I'll be focusing on cleaning up and touching up the paint damage.

Times like this, I think how nice it would be owning a Wrangler, where body damage looks like battle scars. "That's not from a shopping cart, it's from the Dakar rally!"
Old 04-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Ouch.

I'm sure this will happen to me a few more times, as it's my daily driver. I think I need to learn how to fix minor body damage myself, even if it isn't 100% perfect. Otherwise I'll go broke, or get dropped from my insurance.

I'll attempt to fix the dent aspect with a dent puller, but I'll be focusing on cleaning up and touching up the paint damage.

Times like this, I think how nice it would be owning a Wrangler, where body damage looks like battle scars. "That's not from a shopping cart, it's from the Dakar rally!"
Doesn't GM make a body side molding that is body colored? It may upset the clean look but I think it would be better than getting a bunch of door dings.

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Doesn't GM make a body side molding that is body colored? It may upset the clean look but I think it would be better than getting a bunch of door dings.
Hmm...I'll look into it!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
NJScorpio

UPDATE!

So the guy came out and gave an estimate. Long story short, it's about $500, with me paying $250 of it. Much of that cost includes removing the mirror, replacing my pinstripe, etc...lots of labor that is NOT needed if a spot repair is done.

Now, I know that a spot repair, especially one done by myself, won't look 100%...but I also know that respraying the whole door may result in the whole door not matching a few years down the road, or the pinstripe not matching....plus, I'd be paying (through the deductible and through raised rates) for all this work.

I have a well reviewed dent remover, I have the paint, I have hundreds of dollars worth of compounding/polishing/waxing supplies....

So I canceled the claim, and I'll be attempting the repair myself. Of course, I'll document it.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #10
scandata

Drives: 2014 1LT Convertible, blue metallic
Wishing you the best of luck on that project. Definitely keep us posted on the progress!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/strip_zps825b0ac9.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote