Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
moiy1983

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs
Question Emission legal? (Texas)

I am wondering if all my mods or any future mods will effect my car passing state inspection. So far i have Kooks headers, Kooks catted exhaust, LMR CAI, Cam, & Custom Tune. I am planning to install a Kenne Bell Supercharger. I need some good noligible answers to ease my nerves.
moiy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
1CAMSS

Drives: 2010 1SS CAMARO/GBA/M6- sold.

1SS @ home. 12/14/2009
1CAMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Duke

Drives: Red SS/RS
I'm interested in this discussion also. I live about 40 miles from La Porte and also in a "non-attainment area". Their is another thread, "tuner will VOID waranty", its a gruesome read, but has some good stuff.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Go here and read up. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/index.htm

Not from Texas, so I can't give you first-hand information...but looks to be a pretty easy-to-use website.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
HtownSS

Drives: Silver 2SS, 68 Firebird 400,70 vett
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiy1983 View Post
I am wondering if all my mods or any future mods will effect my car passing state inspection. So far i have Kooks headers, Kooks catted exhaust, LMR CAI, Cam, & Custom Tune. I am planning to install a Kenne Bell Supercharger. I need some good noligible answers to ease my nerves.
Hey bro you forgot to mention about that killer nasty cam!!
HtownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Duke

Drives: Red SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
Go here and read up. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/index.htm

Not from Texas, so I can't give you first-hand information...but looks to be a pretty easy-to-use website.
Thanks Gary, you saved me some time. I read most of the website and I would like to summarize to see if I got it right.

In the DFW/Houston/Galveston area and for 1996 and newer cars, the emission test consists of checking the cars OBD-II. No sniffing. They check for Check Engine Lights and the status of the emission component monitors. It is the status of these monitors that could...and I repeat could...give our OP some grief.

The monitors look at stuff like the EGR, O2 sensors, etc. The monitors read either Ready or Not Ready. And if more than one is Not Ready, then you do not pass the test. This became effective October 15, 2008 for 2001 and newer cars. Prior to that you have two monitors Not Ready and still pass, now you can only have one Not Ready and still pass. I think this is a big change.

So, its my guess that the O2 sensors monitors will be the OP's most likely Not Ready problem, since the cats have been relocated with the new LT headers and the two back O2 sensors think something is wrong with the cats. When the OP put on the headers, the Check Engine Light probably came on shortly after or he had a tune that cleared the CEL and perhaps did something else to keep the CEL from coming back on.

So, for peace of mind, the OP can go to a tuner that can check the OBD-II monitors to see if they are all Ready and if Not Ready...well I sure want to hear about the fix.

Perhaps some of our G8 friends have already been through this, and we have 2 years to figure this out. I wonder why these performance shops are not also Inspection Stations...hmmm. Maybe some are and I would sure like to hear from them.

Have a great day...
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Thanks Gary, you saved me some time. I read most of the website and I would like to summarize to see if I got it right.

In the DFW/Houston/Galveston area and for 1996 and newer cars, the emission test consists of checking the cars OBD-II. No sniffing. They check for Check Engine Lights and the status of the emission component monitors. It is the status of these monitors that could...and I repeat could...give our OP some grief.

The monitors look at stuff like the EGR, O2 sensors, etc. The monitors read either Ready or Not Ready. And if more than one is Not Ready, then you do not pass the test. This became effective October 15, 2008 for 2001 and newer cars. Prior to that you have two monitors Not Ready and still pass, now you can only have one Not Ready and still pass. I think this is a big change.

So, its my guess that the O2 sensors monitors will be the OP's most likely Not Ready problem, since the cats have been relocated with the new LT headers and the two back O2 sensors think something is wrong with the cats. When the OP put on the headers, the Check Engine Light probably came on shortly after or he had a tune that cleared the CEL and perhaps did something else to keep the CEL from coming back on.

So, for peace of mind, the OP can go to a tuner that can check the OBD-II monitors to see if they are all Ready and if Not Ready...well I sure want to hear about the fix.

Perhaps some of our G8 friends have already been through this, and we have 2 years to figure this out. I wonder why these performance shops are not also Inspection Stations...hmmm. Maybe some are and I would sure like to hear from them.

Have a great day...
That's what I was getting from the Texas site...but didn't want to venture an opinion since I wasn't a resident. I've got family in Dallas, but their cars are either bone-stock 1-5 year old cars or pre-1970 limited use vehicles. Good luck to the OP...
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
If 2 DTC's have been shut off there will be issues.

Big cam and long tubes? I wish you luck, seriously.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
moiy1983

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs
well i spoke with the shop thats does my tuning and they say i shouldnt have any problems. they leave every sensor that the state looks at "ready". so i feel confortable when they say it should be okay.
moiy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Drives: 13 ZL1 , 14 Silverado Crew Cab
If u live in a lil I wouldn't worry at all they don't do the same test the big cities do!!! Jus go to sum rundown town !!! Or come to Waco I'll get it done for ya!! Lol
Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
you will not have any problems, emissions tests at the inspection place is the same as the one that onstar receives and sends to you monthly.

i have my rear O2s and cat codes disabled and my emissions test is green every month!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Drives: 13 ZL1 , 14 Silverado Crew Cab
There ya go it's all good