Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
Inuyashas_Brother
 
Inuyashas_Brother's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 547
ZL1 bumper on LS with DIY harness + switches

I did this install back in November but haven't had a chance to post about it till now. I would like to thank all the members who contributed to this forum because it was great help. This actually was multiple installs in one: I got the ZL1 bumper, DIY harness, Curb Alert, and camaro2lt's idea of ZL1 bumper cold air intake ducting.

For the bumper, I contacted MaureenM@RodgersChevrolet, and she had a pre-painted ZL1 bumper. I took a risk and got lucky because the paint match was perfect. Specifically, I got:

#22831868 Fascia
#22895338 R Bezel
#22895339 L Bezel*
#22894223 Lower Grill*
#20952857 Support*
#20952853 Absorber
#20957334 DRL Retainer (you need 2)*




For the nuts and bolts, I refused to pay GM's prices and got replica parts with the same dimensions that worked just as well. For the bolts part #11570637 , I bought "Phillips Pan Head Sems Tap Screw M4.2-1.41 X 20mm." For the nuts part # 11610157, I bought "Nut With Silicone Pad." The only thing I got from GM were the plastic rivets (# 92231490) and two clips*(#11562364) because they weren't expensive.

For the upper fog lights, I got 2007-2012 Chevy Avalanche/Tahoe fog lights (same as Camaro's) off ebay, which house Putco Pure Jet Yellow 3000k 9009/H16 bulbs. I had to modify ZL1 DRL retainers to hold the lights by cutting off the top part of my LS retainer, where the adjust arm would sit, and using some plastic weld epoxy to add it to the ZL1 retainer.




I got the lower fog lights off amazon, and used 6000k H11 7w LED lights (match my 6000k EE halos).

Making the harness was the most challenging part but was fun because it forced me to relearn the basics of electricity physics and circuit design. Also, because I have an LS, I had no pre-wiring for fog lights and I wanted to be able to control each set through in-dash toggle switches. The most important things are to figure out the amperage, correct wire gauge, fuse sizes, and select the right power sources. It also involves a lot of splicing and connecting (through crimps and liquid electrical tape), and you need the right wire pigtails for the bulbs, but I integrated everything into one harness by using a wire loom.

(wires before loom)


The Curb Alert system, LED fog lights and LED indicators on the toggle switches, which all draw little power, are all connected by an dd-a-circuit plugged into slot F18 in the driver side fuse box. The halogen upper fog lights are rated at about 37 watts so I connected those to the battery through a $10 ebay relay, with the trigger coming from the F18 fuse going through one of the toggle switches. By the way, the F18 fuse is an ignition fuse, so the power goes out when the key is removed, which will protect the battery if you leave the switches on the "on" position.




Lastly, since Virginia requires front plates and I didn't want to ruin the fascia, I didn't like the off-the-shelf solutions, I decided to cut off the bottom on the plate and installed it in the lower grill. I cushioned the back of the plate and held it with long bolts and padded washers.



It's been six months and the harness has held up through winter with no problems.



__________________
Inuyashas_Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
FilibustaRhymes
 
FilibustaRhymes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2SS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Posts: 458
Great work! Thanks for sharing the part numbers and stuff - something to keep in mind.
__________________
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3/M6 | SLP LMII Axle-Back Exhaust | BMR 1" Lowering Springs | GM Dovetail Spoiler | GM Heritage Grille (still in a box - to be installed) | SLP Hockey Stick Stripes (White) | SLP Rear Panel Blackout/Retro SS Emblems | Oracle Concept Side Markers | Diode Dynamics LED DRLs| TechNostalgia RapidFire Taillights| Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter| CAI Intake
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
sdmaro
 
Drives: 2011 LS Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 457
Friggin awesome! Still waiting to find a cheaper set of RS lights since I will spend a ton in harnesses.
__________________
2011 CGM V6. Magnaflow catback, X-pipe, Injen intake, 1.5in lowering springs, ZL1 conversion, AAC plasma afterburners 2.0, GFX rear, red footwells.
sdmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
mattuz
 
mattuz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 victory red camaro
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ky
Posts: 92
Looked great, nice job!
mattuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
jgray1978

 
jgray1978's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Claremore, Oklahoma
Posts: 829
So do you run all six lights at night? I believe that it's illegal in most if not all states to have more than 4 but I run all six myself. Never hassled.
jgray1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Inuyashas_Brother
 
Inuyashas_Brother's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 547
Thank you all. Just to note, my headlights and halos are Eagle Eyes off ebay, and they have been working great since 2010.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that you might want to invest in getting a Dremel. I bought one just for this install and used it to 1) modify the DRL retainers, 2) cut the two pieces circlered below, 3) drill the the extra hole needed to bolt the wheel well onto ZL1 bumper, 4) drill the holes for the switches, and 5) trim the license plate.




Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray1978 View Post
So do you run all six lights at night? I believe that it's illegal in most if not all states to have more than 4 but I run all six myself. Never hassled.
I don't know what the rules are in VA, but I usually don't. That's the beauty of independent switches - I can pick and choose based on mood or need.
__________________
Inuyashas_Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
sdmaro
 
Drives: 2011 LS Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 457
I forgot to cut those and mine won't sit flush.. I am too lazy to redo it until I get my heritage grill haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyashas_Brother View Post
Thank you all. Just to note, my headlights and halos are Eagle Eyes off ebay, and they have been working great since 2010.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that you might want to invest in getting a Dremel. I bought one just for this install and used it to 1) modify the DRL retainers, 2) cut the two pieces circlered below, 3) drill the the extra hole needed to bolt the wheel well onto ZL1 bumper, 4) drill the holes for the switches, and 5) trim the license plate.






I don't know what the rules are in VA, but I usually don't. That's the beauty of independent switches - I can pick and choose based on mood or need.
__________________
2011 CGM V6. Magnaflow catback, X-pipe, Injen intake, 1.5in lowering springs, ZL1 conversion, AAC plasma afterburners 2.0, GFX rear, red footwells.
sdmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR
 
JCO2185's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 940
great write up
__________________
Air Ride Suspension, BBK Longtube Headers, Hi-Flo cats, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Elite Catch-Can, Airraid CAI, Phantom grille, Painted White wheels, ZL1 side skirts
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
FloMaro
 
FloMaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 V6 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 369
Wow Bro This Is Exactly what I needed To See! Tudah(Thank You)
FloMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
Optimus
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE Transformer
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Warwick, NY
Posts: 116
Freaking Sweet! I just picked up a brand new 2013 2SS 1LE and love it. While a ZL1 is way more than I need at this point in time, that bumper is sick. Tons of possible mods and what you did was one of the first ones on my to do list. Nice Work.
Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
EDFHOBBIES
 
EDFHOBBIES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS BumbleBee
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 459
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyashas_Brother View Post
I did this install back in November but haven't had a chance to post about it till now. I would like to thank all the members who contributed to this forum because it was great help. This actually was multiple installs in one: I got the ZL1 bumper, DIY harness, Curb Alert, and camaro2lt's idea of ZL1 bumper cold air intake ducting.

For the bumper, I contacted MaureenM@RodgersChevrolet, and she had a pre-painted ZL1 bumper. I took a risk and got lucky because the paint match was perfect. Specifically, I got:

#22831868 Fascia
#22895338 R Bezel
#22895339 L Bezel*
#22894223 Lower Grill*
#20952857 Support*
#20952853 Absorber
#20957334 DRL Retainer (you need 2)*




For the nuts and bolts, I refused to pay GM's prices and got replica parts with the same dimensions that worked just as well. For the bolts part #11570637 , I bought "Phillips Pan Head Sems Tap Screw M4.2-1.41 X 20mm." For the nuts part # 11610157, I bought "Nut With Silicone Pad." The only thing I got from GM were the plastic rivets (# 92231490) and two clips*(#11562364) because they weren't expensive.

For the upper fog lights, I got 2007-2012 Chevy Avalanche/Tahoe fog lights (same as Camaro's) off ebay, which house Putco Pure Jet Yellow 3000k 9009/H16 bulbs. I had to modify ZL1 DRL retainers to hold the lights by cutting off the top part of my LS retainer, where the adjust arm would sit, and using some plastic weld epoxy to add it to the ZL1 retainer.




I got the lower fog lights off amazon, and used 6000k H11 7w LED lights (match my 6000k EE halos).

Making the harness was the most challenging part but was fun because it forced me to relearn the basics of electricity physics and circuit design. Also, because I have an LS, I had no pre-wiring for fog lights and I wanted to be able to control each set through in-dash toggle switches. The most important things are to figure out the amperage, correct wire gauge, fuse sizes, and select the right power sources. It also involves a lot of splicing and connecting (through crimps and liquid electrical tape), and you need the right wire pigtails for the bulbs, but I integrated everything into one harness by using a wire loom.

(wires before loom)


The Curb Alert system, LED fog lights and LED indicators on the toggle switches, which all draw little power, are all connected by an dd-a-circuit plugged into slot F18 in the driver side fuse box. The halogen upper fog lights are rated at about 37 watts so I connected those to the battery through a $10 ebay relay, with the trigger coming from the F18 fuse going through one of the toggle switches. By the way, the F18 fuse is an ignition fuse, so the power goes out when the key is removed, which will protect the battery if you leave the switches on the "on" position.




Lastly, since Virginia requires front plates and I didn't want to ruin the fascia, I didn't like the off-the-shelf solutions, I decided to cut off the bottom on the plate and installed it in the lower grill. I cushioned the back of the plate and held it with long bolts and padded washers.



It's been six months and the harness has held up through winter with no problems.




Looks awesome.. so if you have fog lights but not a Zl1 bumper it should be easier? No wire nightmare lol?
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Inuyashas_Brother
 
Inuyashas_Brother's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 547
Sorry - just saw your question. Yes, though you would need splice in the wires for the lower fog lights. In case there are LEDs and draw very little power, but I have seen others install HIDs with a relay. It also depends on whether you want to be able to control them independently from the regular fog/DRL lights, which why I installed a separate circuit and switch.
__________________
Inuyashas_Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
fog lights, harness, zl1 bumper

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.