Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Help with Defender Works Kickplates

I just purchased the 'Defender Works' kick plates. They are billet aluminum with a brushed and black finish. Very thick and nicely done. They go on the door in that tiny recessed area that is on the bottom of panel and the units are cut out for the speaker housings.

The problem is that the 3m tape supplied on the plates don't even begin to hold it on the door. I've used other items that mount with the 3m tape before, sometime the tape sticks so strong that it impossible to pull off. Not with these. It does nothing. I tried one door with the special bonding enabler and it works no better than the other side without the bonding agrent.

Help, any thoughts? Anyone run across this issue? What did you do?

Jim
Old 12-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Drives: 2011 1LT Synergy Green
I cleaned the door with alcohol , like crazy clean. Then put on the plastic promoter and took a lighter and heated up the 3M tape melts it a little and stuck it on the door .
Held it in place for 15 mins. And kept pushing on it . I kept going back and replied pressure. They finally stuck in place. Been on for 3 years now. Also I found that the gray 3M tape holds better than some of the black 3M tape. Just make sure you put it on away from the edge of the item you putting it on ,so you can't see it. Hope this helps, good luck.
BIO-HAZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Sounds good, a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIO-HAZARD View Post
I cleaned the door with alcohol , like crazy clean. Then put on the plastic promoter and took a lighter and heated up the 3M tape melts it a little and stuck it on the door .
Held it in place for 15 mins. And kept pushing on it . I kept going back and replied pressure. They finally stuck in place. Been on for 3 years now. Also I found that the gray 3M tape holds better than some of the black 3M tape. Just make sure you put it on away from the edge of the item you putting it on ,so you can't see it. Hope this helps, good luck.
Did you put plastic promoter on door itself?

Are yours the heavy defender billet ones?

HOw about super glue applied to the 3m tape?

Jim
Old 12-31-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
TRABlackCamaroSS

Drives: '10 Blk Camaro SS/'08 Blk Silverado
Used Clear Silicone on mine as well as on my billet engine caps/fuse box cover! works real well & if U decide to remove/replace the silicone will come off with just a puttyknife or plastic body knife!
Attached Images

TRABlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Drives: 2011 1LT Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
Did you put plastic promoter on door itself?

Are yours the heavy defender billet ones?

HOw about super glue applied to the 3m tape?

Jim
Hi Jim, yes I got the solid black door kick plates & door sill plates ,& yes every thing defender work makes is billet. Yes I put the promoter on the door ,you have to let it sit a few minutes before you install the plates .Like I said heat up the 3 my tape with a heat gun or lighter also makes the tape super sticky. I myself would not use super glue, that would be up to you to try.
BIO-HAZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
I also used clear silicone to attach mine. Been on there since March 2010, no issues.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Thanks to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I also used clear silicone to attach mine. Been on there since March 2010, no issues.
Thanks to all for the help. I will try the alcohol and heating the 3m tape first with the promoter.

if that fails for some reason. What is this Silicone? Is it a silicon glue and if so where can I get it?

Jim
Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
you can get a clear silicone glue at any hardware store or even a hobby lobby probably, it comes in a tube but be sure to get the clear kind because it also comes in white and some other colors.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Thanks forall the help again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Crazy Camaro View Post
you can get a clear silicone glue at any hardware store or even a hobby lobby probably, it comes in a tube but be sure to get the clear kind because it also comes in white and some other colors.

Thanks to all.

jim