Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Hi-flow cats or cat-delete?

Question- if I do a cat-delete and do something like an X pipe, do I need to get the O2 eliminators? anyone have experience doing this? I want to get that powerful sound I'm looking for and let the new Doug Thorley headers breathe.

Inspection is not an issue
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
IMO - High-Flow cats...

I had thorleys, no cats, 2.5" and flowmaster delta-40's on my 1972 Blazer and it was awesome but it was a pre-cat vehicle.

Since then I have had good luck with HF Cats and similar exhaust on other Chevy's... and gotten what felt like the same amount of power.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Mayhem Matt
IS NOW SUPERBEE MATT!!!!!

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS M6 SUPERCHRGED BUMBLEBEE
Interestedin finding out some info on this as well!!
Ordered Bumblebee 10/15/2008Part of the Family 6/11/2009 #11423

My Bumblebee to Superbee build story...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105163
Superbee's 536hp Dyno Run...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE7wePluPAc
Mayhem Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
coptzr
Resistance is futile

Drives: Anything thats fast
ok, on a previous post, Jannetty Racing compaired all popular headers with and without high flow cats and found NO difference in performance.So why not run them?? just curious.

heres the link
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=header+test
Edelbrock CAI
VMS stage 2.5 cam kit
SLP LT's, no cats
NPP muffler's w/x-pipe
Tuned at Vector Motorsports
606 RWHP and 567 RWT
Black 1LE 10 spokes.
Hotchkis drop springs.
coptzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
SS 376

Drives: IBM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coptzr View Post
ok, on a previous post, Jannetty Racing compaired all popular headers with and without high flow cats and found NO difference in performance.So why not run them?? just curious.

heres the link
Probably $$$. Hi flows are something like $400+, but two straight sections of pipe are what, $50?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Probably $$$. Hi flows are something like $400+, but two straight sections of pipe are what, $50?
true, but it does make it easier when you actually need them on the car for warranty work, inspection (If i move away from my local guy), trading, etc.

Would there be any noticeable sound difference b/w no cats and hi flow cats?

also, I don't believe DTH has an application yet for hiflow cats.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
Old 05-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
topgun1

Quote:

heres the link
thanks for posting this. I get people telling me all the time that you'll get signficant power increases with hi flow cats vs. stock. it's good to see real comparos. I'm really looking for the sound.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
coptzr
Resistance is futile

Well the money is a very good point.But with no cats you will have to get that "tuned" out if your not running rear o2's correct?? thats what 300 to 450?? I know they say you should still tune with LT's, but you dont have to right?? I too am having the same issue and would like the same answers as "topdown"...thanks for all the help
Edelbrock CAI
VMS stage 2.5 cam kit
SLP LT's, no cats
NPP muffler's w/x-pipe
606 RWHP and 567 RWT
Black 1LE 10 spokes.
Hotchkis drop springs.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
MileMAN402
RIP JoePa

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2001 Audi S4
you'll need a tune eventually with hiflow cats too or the check engine light will come on. besides youll get a good deal more power if you add the tune
Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
coptzr
Resistance is futile

Valid point.I know I have read in other post that some people say the light comes on and some dont.Sound like the tune is still the best bet.
Edelbrock CAI
VMS stage 2.5 cam kit
SLP LT's, no cats
NPP muffler's w/x-pipe
606 RWHP and 567 RWT
Black 1LE 10 spokes.
Hotchkis drop springs.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
victoryred1ss

Drives: 2010 SS M6
I had Hi-flow cats on then took them off and did straight pipes. You will get DTC's either way. Im going to reinstall cats because It has a very strange rattle rasp noise at about 3k rpms that I dont like since the straight pipes were installed.
Tune done by JRE
victoryred1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
topgun1

Quote:
Well the money is a very good point.But with no cats you will have to get that "tuned" out if your not running rear o2's correct?? thats what 300 to 450?? I know they say you should still tune with LT's, but you dont have to right?? I too am having the same issue and would like the same answers as "topdown"...thanks for all the help
topgun?

well a standard custom tune is usually $300-450 yes, and they can tune that out. If you delete the cats, you can get an O2 delete which would basically be just like a skip shift eliminator to trick the computer.

you should always tune when adding performance items on, like exhaust, headers and intake, and definitely a s/c, since your car's computer is still set on stock settings. you'll need to be able to have the computer learn your new performance items and take advantage of the potential power gains
Old 05-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
MileMAN402
RIP JoePa

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2001 Audi S4
yeah, ive heard of people running hiflows for 4 or 5 hundred miles before the light comes on, but it should come on for everyone eventually since the cats arent heating up as much or as fast
Old 05-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryred1ss View Post
I had Hi-flow cats on then took them off and did straight pipes. You will get DTC's either way. Im going to reinstall cats because It has a very strange rattle rasp noise at about 3k rpms that I dont like since the straight pipes were installed.

hmmm, this is discerning with that noise.

but did you have the O2 sensor eliminator and still got the codes?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
The 2010 Sin
CorkTulsa.com

Drives: 2010 2SS BLK, 2013 2SS CRT
ive been running offroad pipes for several months now.. I have no weird rasp at 3k sounds like it may be harmonics in your catback. I love the way mine sounds with the offroad setup but I was thinking of doing cats just to stay "legal" muahahaha not that I really care in a non-inspection state just maybe thinking a little green, but not prius green.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
victoryred1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
hmmm, this is discerning with that noise.

but did you have the O2 sensor eliminator and still got the codes?

I had 5 codes that came on after the long tubes and high flow cats were installed. I had them tuned out and it stayed off. It came back on with the straight pipes but im willing to bet o2 sims would keep it off
Tune done by JRE
Old 05-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #17
victoryred1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
ive been running offroad pipes for several months now.. I have no weird rasp at 3k sounds like it may be harmonics in your catback. I love the way mine sounds with the offroad setup but I was thinking of doing cats just to stay "legal" muahahaha not that I really care in a non-inspection state just maybe thinking a little green, but not prius green.
Im not sure, it might be.. Its really annoying until the exhaust gets super hot. I have an X-pipe too maybe something with the 3" straight pipes/3" X-pipe/ 3"exhaust combination.
Tune done by JRE
Old 05-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #18
coptzr
Resistance is futile

Sorry topgun1, the second post was from topdown...I easily confused I guess.I have the D.T. shorties on now with the GMPP mufflers.Car sounds great, but I am gping with the Vector Motorsports stage 2 cam, SLP L.T.'s with cats and K&N CAI, plus the Vector tune.I really dont like that "glass-pak" sound like I hear in some cars with the muffler delete, but that is PURELY my opinion...I like that deep rumble like the old big block cars.
Edelbrock CAI
VMS stage 2.5 cam kit
SLP LT's, no cats
NPP muffler's w/x-pipe
606 RWHP and 567 RWT
Black 1LE 10 spokes.
Hotchkis drop springs.

Last edited by coptzr; 05-11-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #19
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Hi Flow cats
Old 05-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #20
The 2010 Sin
CorkTulsa.com

Drives: 2010 2SS BLK, 2013 2SS CRT
yah i bet its harmonics.. every catback has that "Sweetspot" or sourspot to some.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #21
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
U will only gain minimal horsepower without cats so use high flow Ur exhaust note is much cleaner and muscular with high flow cats
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #22
topgun1

Quote:
Sorry topgun1, the second post was from topdown...I easily confused I guess.I have the D.T. shorties on now with the GMPP mufflers.Car sounds great, but I am gping with the Vector Motorsports stage 2 cam, SLP L.T.'s with cats and K&N CAI, plus the Vector tune.I really dont like that "glass-pak" sound like I hear in some cars with the muffler delete, but that is PURELY my opinion...I like that deep rumble like the old big block cars.
nice combo. Yeah, I don't like the glass-pak sound either. that's why I went with Magnaflow 3" exhaust with the mufflers, nice deep rumble and sounds sweet at WOT. man, with that new cam, you'll be sounding like a true old big block!

As far as the option for hi-flow cats or a cat-delete, I think i'm going to go with the hi-flow cats since it would really be more feasible and don't have to worry with putting the cats back on if I need to in the future. don't want to worry with the codes or O2 sensor issues either. thanks for all the info guys.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #23
topgun1

so what are people's recommendations on what brand to use for hi-flow cats? I just want to replace the two stockers. from what i've seen, it seems it's not that common to just buy hiflow cats alone. Just need them to bolt up to the 1 7/8" DT shorty headers and the 3" Magnaflow cat-back.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #24
kelley@vectormotorsports

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
I always suggest HF cats. Mainly because of the smell of the exhaust when no cats are used.

Very strong fuel smell that burns the eyes. The cats clean all of that up.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #25
topgun1

didn't think about that Kirk, but definitely obvious! I'll wait on SOLO performance for their hiflow cat application for the Camaro.