Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
Unhappy Delete Resonators with X-pipe?

Hello I'm new to camaro5 but have been lurking since I got my 2010 camaro 1SS LS3. I recently put on some borla S-type axle back exhaust on my babygirl and the tone is nice but I was expecting just a bit more of a meat eating sound to it. I now regret not going with the full catback cause the YouTube videos I've seen sound very nice. I was lead to believe there is no difference in sound between the catback vs axle back other than hp gain.

Okay stay with me now

Well I live in California so I can't remove my cats. Borla suggested I buy their x-pipe setup which would give me the piping for my axleback to become what it would have been had I thrown on the catback exhaust but it costs almost 700 bucks! I've read that the resonators act as mid mufflers and tone down sound and raspyness (not as much as the L99 but they do). So I'm thinking, would I be able to put on a magnaflow 2.5" x-pipe and delete resonators with just straight pipe? would that give my exhaust a bit more growl? and would there be problems with magnaflow metal going on borlas 304 stainless steel metal, or would the 2 be far from each other that they wouldn't touch? Sorry I just want my exhaust to sound throatier and not like a BMW!(YouTube 2010 camaro s type axle back)

please don't jack my thread with intake questions I see that happening a lot haha

Last edited by ducq; 05-11-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Mispell
ducq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
96rss/ls6
Inferno is the only color

Drives: 96 ls6 camaro, iom 2ss/rss /
I dont think many people are responding here because of all the variables going on here. The s type is definately quiet. As far as the x pipe sound it will change the sound, but it sounds to me like you are really just looking for more volume. The resonator delete may give you a little more sound. And cuttting off the rear set of cats would probably give you a little more. But I would suggest finding the sound you want and then try to trade with someone in the classified forums that wants there car more quiet.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rss/ls6 View Post
I dont think many people are responding here because of all the variables going on here. The s type is definately quiet. As far as the x pipe sound it will change the sound, but it sounds to me like you are really just looking for more volume. The resonator delete may give you a little more sound. And cuttting off the rear set of cats would probably give you a little more. But I would suggest finding the sound you want and then try to trade with someone in the classified forums that wants there car more quiet.
I would probably have to agree with this.

You're probably better off selling your axle-back for 50%-60% of what they go for. Then use that money to buy either the Magnaflow Comp 2.5" cat-back or the SOLO Mach X. Both of these are basically a resonated x-pipe with a muffler delete.

You can get the Magnaflow from MagnaflowPlus.com for about $650 shipped if you call them (don't go by their web site prices). For the SOLO you'll have to buy from them for about $750 shipped.

Do a search on the forum for both of these systems. There is plenty of info and videos out there.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Just for your reference, I just did the X-pipe w/ resonator delete on my car this last sunday...

The thread is here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82032

I went with the Dynomax Axleback, hoping it would be louder, BUT I had to go a little farther. Deleting the resonators didn't make a HUGE difference, but it is noticeable, probably more in person than on the videos. Deffinitely louder under load.

There is a before the X-pipe and resonator delete, and an after X-pipe and resonator delete video, both with the axleback installed. I don't have a video of stock. Check it out, maybe it will give you an idea if doing the x-pipe & resonator delete is enough.

I pretty much did mine myself for $111 dollars. If your axle back is like mine, it doesn't go past the front of the axle, and you still have factory pipe. Look into the Edelbrock 6717 setup ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-6716/ ), you have to cut your factory pipes, but I think it would probably work fine with your borla axleback, and not hurt your wallet. Unfortunately, I built my setup before I ever knew this Edelbrock piece existed.:-/

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
Yea sorry for my jumbled up post, i wrote it up on my iphone while in my work truck on break. I just have so much running through my mind about my car! haha i spend all my off time looking up parts and skimming through these forums. Well i don't think ill be removing my borla axle backs to sell them, i just want to modify them a bit. I do like the tone they have, i just want to add a bit of a raspy growl to it.

i can notice the difference between the two racnjsn. It did pick up just a bit more of a chunky rasp to the exhaust. It's just about the same change in my exhaust im looking for, perhaps a better quality X-pipe might give just a bit more? i don't know if different metals and slightly different shapes to the X-pipe make a difference.
ducq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Check out the clips in my sig for some samples. Not apples to apples but gives you some idea of resonator delete. I'd say go for it. I'm glad I did. You should be able to get a local muffler shop to do this for a fairly good price. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
Im lost..
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post
It's just about the same change in my exhaust im looking for, perhaps a better quality X-pipe might give just a bit more? i don't know if different metals and slightly different shapes to the X-pipe make a difference.
If I could do it again, I'd get the edelbrock piece. I think it's the only one available that I've seen that replaces the H pipe with an X and deletes the resonators in one shot, and if there is more, the edelbrock one is probably the easiest on the pocket book. Unfortunately, i'd never seen it advertized, and didn't know it existed before I built mine.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
longbeachss2010

Drives: black SS
JUST GET AN X PIPE. AND GET WHAT U NEED. I GOT STARIGHT PIPES NO RESO. ND NO X PIPE.
longbeachss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
miSSouri_5

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS RS
I just put on Flowmaster Axle-back exhaust. Good for now, but I can see replacing resonator with the Edelbrock X-pipe in the future.

Mods so Far: - Tinted windows - Molded Quarter Flares - cgm vinyl bow-ties - weathertech dig-fit floor liners
COMING SOON: Catback Exhaust - Painted Stripes (gloss black) - tinted brake lights/side markers
miSSouri_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
SS>GT

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Just for your reference, I just did the X-pipe w/ resonator delete on my car this last sunday...

The thread is here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82032

I went with the Dynomax Axleback, hoping it would be louder, BUT I had to go a little farther. Deleting the resonators didn't make a HUGE difference, but it is noticeable, probably more in person than on the videos. Deffinitely louder under load.

There is a before the X-pipe and resonator delete, and an after X-pipe and resonator delete video, both with the axleback installed. I don't have a video of stock. Check it out, maybe it will give you an idea if doing the x-pipe & resonator delete is enough.

I pretty much did mine myself for $111 dollars. If your axle back is like mine, it doesn't go past the front of the axle, and you still have factory pipe. Look into the Edelbrock 6717 setup ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-6716/ ), you have to cut your factory pipes, but I think it would probably work fine with your borla axleback, and not hurt your wallet. Unfortunately, I built my setup before I ever knew this Edelbrock piece existed.:-/
That X-pipe is no longer available from summit racing. Do you know of anywhere else to get it?
SS>GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS>GT View Post
That X-pipe is no longer available from summit racing. Do you know of anywhere else to get it?
There are several other companies that make X pipes. Depending on what you want, the prices vary. Magnaflow makes a universal 2.5in True X pipe for around $75 that works great and fits perfectly. It's a weld in piece though, unless you want to put a bunch of clamps in a small area.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I ordered my x-pipe from Heartthrob. A very good fit and sound. It was $105 and my local shop welded it in for $48.
Attached Images

Edelbrock EForce - Stainless Works Headers - BMR Sways & Arms - Rotofab CAI - Assorted Interior, Exterior, Underhood Bling - Red Jewel Stripes & Full Body Clear - Lexani LX15 Wheels - JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade & Tune - Kenne Bell BAP - Heartthrob XPipe - Elite Catch Can - Pedders Cradle & Front Arm Bushings - Hotchkis Strut Brace - MSD Wires - Carbotech Brakes - DSS 1000HP Axles - Mickey Thompson Tires - Halo Harness - Whats Next?
Camaro_Custom_Painted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
SS_Matt
permagrin

Drives: 2012 LS3 SS/RS
I have the Flowmaster Outlaw axleback. It's definitely loud enough, but I'm wondering what an X pipe like this would do for the tone.
Can someone describe the difference in tone?

Also... in that pic- how does the welder weld the top of that pipe when it's up so close to the car?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
Carolina SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Why not just get the Borla X-pipe that goes with your axle-back to convert it to a cat-back? See it here: http://www.borla.com/products/produc...prod_sku=60512

2011 Camaro SS/RS L99
Carolina SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
Devilstrip12

Drives: 2011 1LT RS imperial blue camaro
would a X pipe 2.5in work with a Magnaflow axle back as well?
Devilstrip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilstrip12 View Post
would a X pipe 2.5in work with a Magnaflow axle back as well?
Necro thread!

Anyways, the stock piping is 2.5, so it should work just fine.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
I would just skip buying a x pipe and just do a delete on your h pipe resonators .
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
I would just skip buying a x pipe and just do a delete on your h pipe resonators .
H pipe sounds more muscle car allegedly then a x pipe but as to sound not really much difference. Just delete the stock resonators. Maybe a 10-15% difference with them out, not much but it's there.
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
ok, you could go with the magna x pipe...i did and got rid of the resonators BUT if you really want more sound get HF cats. they make a huge difference and add about 20rwhp. i have HF cats xpipe, muffler and res delete...basically straight piped, lol...and its AWESOME!
caper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla, delete, exhaust, magnaflow, resonator