Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #35
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,830
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Hugger View Post
Yea that would be the one MAFs
yeah, but my point is aftermarket maf's arent worth the money if you plan on doing a lot of modding/tuning with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyrx View Post
for corvette they make something called the "vette-air", it helps "shove" air up & into the filter. It has been shown/proven to help 1/4 mile times and trap speeds!
But it does not show any gains on the dyno...
due to the fact that it only helps when the car is actually moving air and being "forced"
same concept as this.....
http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/f-body-lt1-free-ram-air/

only you have a RCAI..... Ram Cold Air Intake....


you are basically supplementing the cold air intake of the vette with the "ram air" box. you are basically giving the incoming air a route in which to flow smoother instead of it just coming from all directions
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #36
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,830
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
ok.... got to see what kyle was thinking... not a bad idea....

in fact it's already in use with the Holden Commodores and Utes







however, you still need to work out the fitment issues with the intake in front of the hood latch
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #37
SoFlaZ

 
SoFlaZ's Avatar
 
Drives: Nothing special :-(
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 940
My friends Kia had an intake like on that BMW ^^. We took it off an put on a K&N cone and gained more hp with the filter bringing in air from the engine bay. I can't prove the power gains but he keeps up better when we accelerate up to the speed limit as fast as we can.LOL But I'm sure the air temp will be lower like that.

This is what I want to get on my Camaro, just a simple cone filter with an enclosed box around it. Also a fat Strut brace like in the picture. (GTO)
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #38
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper
 
Kyle2k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
My friends Kia had an intake like on that BMW ^^. We took it off an put on a K&N cone and gained more hp with the filter bringing in air from the engine bay. I can't prove the power gains but he keeps up better when we accelerate up to the speed limit as fast as we can.LOL But I'm sure the air temp will be lower like that.

This is what I want to get on my Camaro, just a simple cone filter with an enclosed box around it. Also a fat Strut brace like in the picture. (GTO)
I think it had a lot to do with a freer-flowing filter, not the fact that it was moved to the engine bay.
__________________
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #39
swifttal
 
swifttal's Avatar
 
Drives: '91 Z-28
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
I think it had a lot to do with a freer-flowing filter, not the fact that it was moved to the engine bay.
Just guessing, but that's the stock location
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:23 AM   #40
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper
 
Kyle2k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
Just guessing, but that's the stock location
Yeah, but he was referring to moving it from the above position in the commodore/ute to where it was in his picture...This is where the stock location for the Camaro will be!
__________________
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:36 AM   #41
Dan
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 GTO
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I was explaining the existence of something you claimed doesn't exist. Please explain why it's useless on a car motor.
CLUE: google...cold air density and venturi effect
For exactly the reason I stated. A car cannot go fast enough to introduce any pressure differential just by moving through the air. Gas is considered incompressible when the speed is below .3 mach which is about 230 mph depending on altitude. In other words, unless you can go faster then that, ram air doesn't exist.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:02 AM   #42
camaro5


 
camaro5's Avatar
 
Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 3,842
Don't tell the Pontiac Ram Air boys that. Cowl induction, Trans Am shakers, Corvette Z06 and ZR1 front fascia scoops, even NASCAR race cars use an air pick-up at the base of the windshield (cowl induction) to utilize the pressure coming off the windshield. Either many a horsepower has been gained with ram air, or an awful lot of people and engineers are full of garbage. IDK...
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:24 AM   #43
swifttal
 
swifttal's Avatar
 
Drives: '91 Z-28
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Yeah, but he was referring to moving it from the above position in the commodore/ute to where it was in his picture...This is where the stock location for the Camaro will be!
I guess I don't understand what you saying... that's the stock location for all 4 cars (ute, commadore, gto and camaro) - Are you talking about adding the air scoop above the radiator support, or are you talking about adding a K&N and removing the stock cover?

Last edited by swifttal; 10-19-2008 at 02:59 AM.
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #44
swifttal
 
swifttal's Avatar
 
Drives: '91 Z-28
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
For exactly the reason I stated. A car cannot go fast enough to introduce any pressure differential just by moving through the air. Gas is considered incompressible when the speed is below .3 mach which is about 230 mph depending on altitude. In other words, unless you can go faster then that, ram air doesn't exist.
It's more about density than compression - trying to access the cooler denser air outside the engine compartment, and I sure wouldn't call that ram air
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #45
Dan
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 GTO
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
It's more about density than compression - trying to access the cooler denser air outside the engine compartment, and I sure wouldn't call that ram air
Exactly, all those intake systems gain power by getting cooler denser air into the engine not by getting more air in due to a pressure increase.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #46
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 13,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
For exactly the reason I stated. A car cannot go fast enough to introduce any pressure differential just by moving through the air. Gas is considered incompressible when the speed is below .3 mach which is about 230 mph depending on altitude. In other words, unless you can go faster then that, ram air doesn't exist.
Where did you get your information?

Here's a very good article about cold air intake that also addresses the issue of ram-air.
http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...es/rpo_zl2.htm

Keep in mind that hood is 40 years old. I guess they didn't know ram air doesn't exist under ~230mph. Silly Mr. Shinoda

Also keep in mind the ram air turbulence is no longer an issue, and any gain in air pressure at the intake is good, blowers attest to that fact to an extreme. The engines are considerably smaller, but motorcycles are seeing very good gains from ram-air.

I should also mention, I never stated incredible gains from ram-air in an auto, if you'll re-read my posts you'll see I'm touting 'cold air' intake. But when you say ram air doesn't exist, well, it does but only at ~230, well it does, but it's somewhat insignificant for a car...That last part I'll come closer to agree with. I'm sure you'll also agree that most of us at some time or another have used 'tricks' to gain even insignificant horsepower...K&N maybe? Hotter plugs? You get the idea.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 10-19-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #47
454lsxss
 
Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: dallas, tx
Posts: 122
If only we had enough room in there to do this...:(



454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 AM   #48
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,565
^Oooooh. Daddy likes!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #49
454lsxss
 
Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: dallas, tx
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^Oooooh. Daddy likes!
i knoww, they had one at the Dallas Auto Show with the hood up, I was drooling...
454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #50
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 13,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
It's more about density than compression - trying to access the cooler denser air outside the engine compartment, and I sure wouldn't call that ram air
In this case, air density and air compression (pressure) are the same thing. And that's exactly what it is...Ram Air. Guess what a blower is...Yup, a mechanical Ram Air.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 10-20-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #51
Dan
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 GTO
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Where did you get your information?

Here's a very good article about cold air intake that also addresses the issue of ram-air.
http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...es/rpo_zl2.htm

Keep in mind that hood is 40 years old. I guess they didn't know ram air doesn't exist under ~230mph. Silly Mr. Shinoda

Also keep in mind the ram air turbulence is no longer an issue, and any gain in air pressure at the intake is good, blowers attest to that fact to an extreme. The engines are considerably smaller, but motorcycles are seeing very good gains from ram-air.

I should also mention, I never stated incredible gains from ram-air in an auto, if you'll re-read my posts you'll see I'm touting 'cold air' intake. But when you say ram air doesn't exist, well, it does but only at ~230, well it does, but it's somewhat insignificant for a car...That last part I'll come closer to agree with. I'm sure you'll also agree that most of us at some time or another have used 'tricks' to gain even insignificant horsepower...K&N maybe? Hotter plugs? You get the idea.
Looked it up in an aeronautical engineering textbook.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A FAKE SCOOP??!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!! MotorCityAgent 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 222 03-01-2009 08:17 AM
Camaro (concept) Press Release!! Pencil.Fight 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 4 07-21-2008 04:33 PM
United States Air Force PureEvil Off-topic Discussions 6 12-16-2007 12:46 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.