Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 04-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Beandip2811

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Coming to San Francisco July 2016

Needing some help from my Camaro brethren with where I should stay in the San Francisco area. We are going to do a couple of days of tourist stuff like Alcatraz and the like before we set our sights down PCH towards LA. Looking at hotels online and they are all about the same cost but I need to know what area is the best for lodging. And hopefully we can park our Camaros for the two days and I would like to know your thoughts on parking in the areas as well. Thanks for any input you can provide.
Bryan
Old 04-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Vick415

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I'd suggest Sausalito across from the City and take the ferry. Driving in the city isn't practical with all the potholes and cramped parking spaces. Plenty of Uber drivers to get around town and sightsee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
If you stay at a major hotel downtown they have secure garages to park your camaros. Don't leave your camaro outside in the Bay Area, too risky. Hope you enjoy your time out here and book your Alcatraz tickets now!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #4
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Your going to want a nice Hotel, with underground secured parking. The Bay is a theft hot spot for the 5th gen. That is mostly south and east bay. Not so much in SF, but play it safe. Driving around in the city in a Camaro sucks, roads are trash, and people drive like +$!#. Look for a nice Hotel near Fishermans warf, and you should be set.

The good news is your drive down PCH will be fantastic.

Check this link, and call and ask about parking.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/HotelsNe...alifornia.html

Edit some of the parking garages are really tight. I don't take my car to the city, but have been in some of the garages. My Z would have been a nightmare to navigate, much less park in there. Best of luck. Sf is not a car friendly city.

Your best luck is going to be in the high end Hotels, or stay in Sausalito, or Marin and take the ferry in.

Last edited by Nor Cal ZL1; 05-01-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
Myblackbeast

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
I wouldn't stay in the City itself. Hotels are too over priced and charge a min of $45-$75 a day to park your car. Even if you are staying in their hotel. That don't validate anything. I would say stay in Palo Alto and take the train to the City. Uber can drive you around the city or you can take Muni or cable cars. You don't want to drive your Camaro in the City. Too many shitty selfish drivers.
Myblackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I don't drive my Camaro in SF because of Park Hill Assist. Yours is a 2010 so not an issue for you. When in SF, if you meet people, make sure you check if they have an Adam's apple so you know what you are into.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:15 PM   #7
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
As others have said, best to find a hotel with secured parking because we have had a crazy amount of 5th gen thefts in the Bay Area, and driving around downtown sf is basically useless it's easier and faster to take transit or cabs. The drive down pch is astonishing. My wife and I vacationed in San Diego and drove the coast all the way up to sf and it was one of the best parts of vacation to me
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #8
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
We usually stay near the airport and take the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) everywhere. Like other have said, Parking sucks, driving sucks and people suck.

Last time we drove up it cost us more to park then it did for our hotel, and we stayed in a 5 star hotel.

If you want to be close to a lot of action, there is a holiday inn at fisherman's wharf that isn't bad price wise for what you get and its really close to Alcatraz ferry's, cable cars and Ghirardelli Square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #9
762ch

Drives: 2011 2SS
I was just there last weekend. Stayed at grant hotel. I was able to park directly across the street. The hotel wasn't great at all. But it was a last minute stay on a giants game night. I have a dash cam and the parking garage treated my car well. It's cammed and sounds pretty mean, I'm happy they didn't Rev it to the moon. Didn't get any door dings etc.

Driving the camaro in SF isn't bad, mine is a manual and the hills weren't a problem and I don't have hill start assist. It was fun lighting up the tires going up one of the crazy steep hills.

The weather is crazy hot and cold so plan for that. I highly suggest eating at a Scomas, it's not far from pier 36 on the embarcadero. It's a little pricey $100ish for two but it's really good.
762ch is offline   Reply With Quote