Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
USB says non-compatible

Some how I lost my USB that had about 20 CD's on it, I can't find it any where. I had another 4GB USB and downloaded about a dozen CD's. I had no problem down loading the CD's to the USB but when I put the USB in the USB port and tried to use it "Not a compatible device" showed on the little screen and now I can't even get the stereo to recognize the USB.

Any idea why the USB I downloaded music on would be non-compatible? Did I do something wrong or is there something wrong with the car USB reader?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
when you downloaded the songs to the flash drive.....what format did you save them in. THAT may be the problem.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
inferno camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro pace car, 2008 cts bl,
Mine does it some times and then out of the blue it starts working. Sometimes it won't act up for a couple months and then it may not work for several days. Every time I take it to get looked at it works fine
Mods, 2r max cam, ls3 conv,kooks lt w/hf cats,kooks street sleeper cat back with magnaflow res x-pipe, roto fab cai, v-max TB, vigilante 3700 stall, 3.70 LPE, 442hp/392tq, Mike Norris Tune 11.71@116.24 1.63 60' m&h DR's
inferno camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
when you downloaded the songs to the flash drive.....what format did you save them in. THAT may be the problem.
I didn't choose a format, the CD's just started down loading. What format should they be, do you know?

Inferno- I have tried it 15 times but I will try it a couple more times. I bought an 8GB drive that I'm going to download one CD and see if it plays OK before I spent 6 hours downloading all of my CD's only to find out it didn't work!!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
Put the USB in your computer and look at one of the files and select properties, it needs to be MP3 format to work. Then look at the program you use to download the CD's make sure it is converting them to MP3 format.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
jerisc

Drives: CAR
CD's direct transfer probably downloaded wma (windows media), - did you format the flash first (before downloading music?) if it has any files like cover art, it may not be able to read those files, so rejects the whole flash. Can you convert to mp3?
jerisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
jerisc

Drives: CAR
But you may be able to get wma to work if you check flash and remove any non-music files. Just be careful to not remove flash root files.
jerisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Put the USB in your computer and look at one of the files and select properties, it needs to be MP3 format to work. Then look at the program you use to download the CD's make sure it is converting them to MP3 format.
Great information, thanks!!

I had Excel spreadsheets on the flash drive and I thought I was just recording the CD's over the spreadsheet data. I'm sure it's not MP3, any way to convert the file to MP3 or should I just start over?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Great information, thanks!!

I had Excel spreadsheets on the flash drive and I thought I was just recording the CD's over the spreadsheet data. I'm sure it's not MP3, any way to convert the file to MP3 or should I just start over?
my sugestion....delete everything on that druve, wipe it and start over.

dependon of what software you are using to rip your CD, nearly all that I can think of, even the standard Windows Media Player, will give you the option of what format the file will be saved in. save them in MP3 that way the files will be a bit smaller, more songs can be pit on the drive, and they all will be compatible pretty much anywhere you want to use the drive at.

IF you use Windows Media Player. just open up the program, click on the "TOOLS" tab, at the bottom you will find "OPTIONS" open that up, in the options box you wiull find the "RIP MUSIC" tab, open that up and about half way down is the "Rip Seetings" box, and within that you will find "FORMAT" select MP3 and save/apply and you are done. now you rip your cd's and they will be in MP3 format.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Ensure the USB is formatted FAT32.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
OHIOSS
Russ

I've tried everything to get the USB to work and no luck. Now it says DEVICE NOT FOUND. The only thing I don't know is if the flash drive is formatted to FAT32. How do I know if it is or not? If I already have 20+ CD's loaded on it can I formatt to FAT32 without losing everything I've down loaded?

If the FAT32 formatting is ok the USB reader must not be working correctly.

Russ
Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
yzark99

Drives: 2012 Silver Ice 1LT
Formatting erases everything. Before you do anything else, make a new folder on your computer, insert the usb drive, open it, select all of the songs, and copy them to your new folder.

I suggest that you download or rip any new songs to this folder, then copy the ones that you want to the USB drive.

Stop fooling around and buy a USB drive that the car can read. Some drives are flaky. I use Sandisk: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer...ds=sandisk+usb If you rip your music to 320k mp3, you can fit over 900 songs on a 8GB drive.

To format to FAT32, insert the usb drive in the computer. Find it in the "devices" window. Right-click the usb drive (not C) and choose "format". Set the option to FAT32 - slow. A window will pop up that says "format complete" when it is done. Then copy your music back to the usb drive. Eject it, and go test it in the car. Wait for it to index, then you should be golden.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
great thread! . i havent downloaded a cd to a flash yet, and going to try this weekend. i am old school, and since new camaro i am looking at (mylink) doesnt have a cd slot , i got to learn how to do all this. thanks for all the info above.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
kevinw

i have a question. i am looking at new LT with mylink. will mylink play a movie that i download on flash drive? if it will, does it have to be the fat 32 and mp3 too? i saw a movie icon on the touch screen, so didnt know. thanks
Old 08-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
FLGator75
Don't Tread on me!

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro. 2LT/RS; V-Red
Send a message via ICQ to FLGator75 Send a message via AIM to FLGator75 Send a message via Yahoo to FLGator75
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293496
FLGator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator75 View Post
I had several hundred songs on a 4GB USB drive that worked great. Some how I lost that USB drive so I loaded a bunch of songs on the same type of USB and now it won't work.

This is to much effort to get to work, I will just use the radio and CD's.

Russ
Old 08-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
FLGator75
Don't Tread on me!

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro. 2LT/RS; V-Red
Send a message via ICQ to FLGator75 Send a message via AIM to FLGator75 Send a message via Yahoo to FLGator75
I had a similar problem when I added new songs/folders to my main USB music drive. I renamed this flash drive & by jove it started working again.
FLGator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #18
kevinw

ok i rip some cd to flash drive, made it mp3. go to work, emplyee car usb dont recongize this. put on desk top, nothing there. i come home put it in and media player and songs there and it plays. what am i missing here that it not recognized in a car at work?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I'm using this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't had any problems and it's really small (hardly noticeable and doesn't stick out into the compartment).
Old 08-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
I'm using one of these I got at Big Lots a year ago and have had no issues.
Attached Images

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote