Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True
 
2Fast4Mu's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 317
MyLink customizations?

Just got my 2014 2SS last night. I'm still getting used to MyLink (my old 2010 didn't have it). I had a few questions and was hoping someone might give a little advice. I spent a few min searching here and googling, but didn't really get what I was hoping to find...

1. Is there anyway to change the background color or image on MyLink? I'm just not into that gradient blue.

2. Is there a way to dim/brighten the MyLink disply on the fly? It's very bright, especially at night. I know you can turn off the display by going through Config...but that's several steps and just isn't very convenient. I'd love to just turn it on and off without really spending much thought or time.

3. I'm unfamiliar with these kinds of systems, but was wondering if there are downloadable ROMs or mods or anything where you can radically change the behavior of the system (like downloadable android ROMs)

4. Since they have an app developer kit (I'm not a developer of any kind), are there other downloadable apps that you can add to MyLink?

5. This is a biggie -- I noticed that if I had the stereo turned off (because I wanted it silent), I had to turn on the stereo just to place a call. However, when I turn on the stereo, some source immediately begins to play (Bluetooth, Pandora, FM, etc.)...and that's annoying. I suspect this is because I'm not yet fully comfy with the system, so there must be some easier way to deal with this. I listen to a lot of music....but it'd be nice to have the system on constant standby without playing anything and be able to initiate a phone call with ease without turning on some audio source. My Jeep and my old Camaro could initiate a phone call with the stereo turned off...and the audio would go through.

6. Considering the above (that the MyLink needs to be on when initiating a call), does the stereo also have to be on when *receiving* an incoming call?


Sorry for so many questions...they just kinda came rushing through when I started.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with MyLink (as compared to what I've had in the past)....but surely there are more customizations, right?

Thanks in advance!
__________________
...Nothing is True, Everything is Permissible...
2Fast4Mu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,671
1-5 is a no, not sure on 6 as my radio is always on.

Felix- speeding in my SS/RS
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True
 
2Fast4Mu's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
1-5 is a no, not sure on 6 as my radio is always on.

Felix- speeding in my SS/RS
Disappointing, but I really appreciate the quick, concise response. I'm sure I'll get used to it all - overall it's a pretty nice system with lots of features.
__________________
...Nothing is True, Everything is Permissible...
2Fast4Mu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
tw78911sc
 
tw78911sc's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 505
Yeah, my local dealer had a MyLink expert from Detroit come and provide training and answer ??. There are so many variants of mylink throughout the GM product lines it is crazy. SOme of the cheapest GM cars have a much better mylink than the Camaro, Silverados as well. I asked why not consolidate and develop a single unit, then development costs are down and you could go from car to car and know how it works. They haven't learned much from the bailout, they must have ten teams working on mylink for different cars, that is why what you have is what you will have, highly unlikely you 2014 can be a hot spot like some of the 2015, but the camaro didn't get that feature in 2015 either, only 2 GM models. Crazy business model IMO
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
JessicasCamaro
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18
#6 - The mylink will still ring with an incoming call if the radio is powered off
JessicasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True
 
2Fast4Mu's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
Yeah, my local dealer had a MyLink expert from Detroit come and provide training and answer ??. There are so many variants of mylink throughout the GM product lines it is crazy. SOme of the cheapest GM cars have a much better mylink than the Camaro, Silverados as well. I asked why not consolidate and develop a single unit, then development costs are down and you could go from car to car and know how it works. They haven't learned much from the bailout, they must have ten teams working on mylink for different cars, that is why what you have is what you will have, highly unlikely you 2014 can be a hot spot like some of the 2015, but the camaro didn't get that feature in 2015 either, only 2 GM models. Crazy business model IMO
Wow...didn't realize they had so many variations. You're right -- that makes no sense. It would be so much cheaper and efficient to work on one single great system.

Although I do like it and it is indeed several steps beyond the system I had in my old Camaro and the system in my Jeep, I admit I was a little surprised that it was still a little clunky. With the power of today's android and other touch screen systems, I really expected it to be faster, more responsive, and more detail rich. I'm not sure what OS it's running, but I'd kill for just a basic android system with some well designed apps

Then again, I'm a big ol' nerd lol....if the technology were high end and feature rich, it might isolate some folks due to a higher learning curve.
__________________
...Nothing is True, Everything is Permissible...
2Fast4Mu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True
 
2Fast4Mu's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasCamaro View Post
#6 - The mylink will still ring with an incoming call if the radio is powered off
Thanks -- I meant test this, but just hadn't had the opportunity yet.
__________________
...Nothing is True, Everything is Permissible...
2Fast4Mu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
JessicasCamaro
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18
Glad to help, I've had my '13 since April and it still blows my mind that the radio must be on for me to initiate a call. Just a small price to pay to drive such a sweet ride though!
JessicasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True
 
2Fast4Mu's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasCamaro View Post
Glad to help, I've had my '13 since April and it still blows my mind that the radio must be on for me to initiate a call. Just a small price to pay to drive such a sweet ride though!
No doubt lol

I'm still learning and I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I found it difficult to pause or silence audio (instead of just turning off the system). I mostly play bluetooth or Pandora and it would be nice to have a single pause button. I know I could turn down the volume, but that doesn't stop the current song on Pandora, for example. Again, there's probably a way -- I've only spent a couple of hours with the car thus far so not sure of the details just yet.
__________________
...Nothing is True, Everything is Permissible...
2Fast4Mu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
PinLover
 
Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2013 2LS
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 39
I have a '13 that I bought this past April (new) as well. I will have to check, but I don't think I have to have the radio on to initiate or pickup a call with my iPhone. I just need to remember to turn on the Bluetooth on my phone when I get in the car (I normally don't have it on because the iPhone battery sucks so I turn off most features I don't really use a lot). It would be nice to customize the system, but as stated GM has made a mess of the system with all the versions for different vehicles.

I have so many glitches with the MyLink and my iPhone...

First, it does not always remember the last song it was playing - it will go back to the first A song and play it alphabetically instead of pickup from the last song it was playing and keep it on randomize. I say not always because it will do it properly sometimes. I use the USB port in the console with my iphone cable so it charges while playing music and seems to me better control/sound than bluetooth. Also, for those wondering, I do not exit the music app on the iphone.

If it does go back to the first alphabetic song in the A's and I open the music app to select "shuffle songs", sometimes the MyLink display doesn't change the song name/album on the screen. And yes, I have album covers for all 800 songs on my iphone.

Sometimes when I plug in the cable to the phone, "Reading USB..." will just sit on the screen and not start playing the phone.

Just things like this that can be annoying when trying to get going and not wanting to mess with settings and crap when the car is moving! I'm sure I can chalk some of the issues up to MyLink, and others up to iOS 7!
__________________
2013 2LS, 2013 2LT/RS
Build Page: 2 THE CAVE... I'm Batman! 2LS Blackout
Build Page: The Evolution of Iron Man
PinLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True
 
2Fast4Mu's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinLover View Post
I will have to check, but I don't think I have to have the radio on to initiate or pickup a call with my iPhone. I just need to remember to turn on the Bluetooth on my phone when I get in the car (I normally don't have it on because the iPhone battery sucks so I turn off most features I don't really use a lot). It would be nice to customize the system, but as stated GM has made a mess of the system with all the versions for different vehicles.
Android Note II here... and if I have MyLink turned off and I hit the call button the the steering wheel, it tells me I have to first turn on MyLink (you'd think it'd be smart enough to just turn it on for me lol).

I'll have the opportunity to mess with it more later today - can't wait to finish work
__________________
...Nothing is True, Everything is Permissible...
2Fast4Mu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #12
tw78911sc
 
tw78911sc's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 505
You hit on it, Ford went with Microsoft, a business used to delivering consumer software/hardware, GM elected to go it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
Wow...didn't realize they had so many variations. You're right -- that makes no sense. It would be so much cheaper and efficient to work on one single great system.

Although I do like it and it is indeed several steps beyond the system I had in my old Camaro and the system in my Jeep, I admit I was a little surprised that it was still a little clunky. With the power of today's android and other touch screen systems, I really expected it to be faster, more responsive, and more detail rich. I'm not sure what OS it's running, but I'd kill for just a basic android system with some well designed apps

Then again, I'm a big ol' nerd lol....if the technology were high end and feature rich, it might isolate some folks due to a higher learning curve.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #13
jeffa
 
Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
No doubt lol

I'm still learning and I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I found it difficult to pause or silence audio (instead of just turning off the system). I mostly play bluetooth or Pandora and it would be nice to have a single pause button. I know I could turn down the volume, but that doesn't stop the current song on Pandora, for example. Again, there's probably a way -- I've only spent a couple of hours with the car thus far so not sure of the details just yet.
You must have the My Link with Navigation. On a non navi My Link, it has a pause button where the Navigation button is on a navi My Link...at least that is the way my unit is. So, there is no way of pausing music playback on a navi My Link.

You can use the hang up button on the steering wheel to instantly mute the audio playback.
jeffa is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
background photo, customize, mylink

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.