Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
DaveNAndi

Drives: 2013 Camaro
XM Radio

I just got a 2013 Camaro 1LS. I am looking to upgrade the factory radio. I have been searching for information on the stock radio/xm radio.

Is the stock XM radio part of the radio that is behind the dash?
If they are seperate, where is the stock XM radio?
Regardless of where the XM radio is, what is the antena connection?
I have been told that the stock XM radio has a 'protietary' connection and that I would have to get adapters, but those same people can't tell me what or where the radio is, or what the connection is.

This is my delima, I want to pugrade the factory radio, but DO NOT want another antena on the car. I realize that I will have to buy the XM radio that works with the head unit that I pick but what is the factory antena connection for the XM, and where is it, so I know if I also need a extention.

We are looking at a Kenwood head unit, focal speakers, Kenwood amp, and JL Audio sub.

I also would like feedback of other things that I am wanting to do, such as, lamboing the doors, and reversing the hood. Who makes the best that people that have actually done it think?

Hope to post pics soon.

Also, the day after I bought it I had a clear bra put on it, and brought it up 24" on the hood, abd had the windows tinted.

If anyone has pics of where the actual XM radio is and and a pic of the antena cable connection and the pic of the XM radio connection would be GREATLY apreciated.

DaveNAndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
IneedAZ

Drives: not enough power
I just updated my factory radio this past saturday and bought the XM tuner to go with it. I am using the factory sharkfin antenna as i too didnt want another antenna on the car. I bought an adapter from Amazon. Was under $10. I also had to buy a usb cable so i could retain usage of the center console usb.
2012: Vmax TBody, CAI w/scoop, Solo HFC, ZL1 FP, Magnaflow TruX, Dynomax VT, RX catch can, HP Tune, BMR; Springs, Sways, Trailing Arms, Toe Ends, & Safety Loop, Pioneer Z150bh, Phoenix Gold Sub, Hertz speakers & 5ch Amp, SS rear with 3.91 gears w/Eaton TrueTrac, and BMR bushings, Baer Decela Rotors, Goodridge brake lines, Brembo(GM) 4 piston calipers, Hawk Ceramic pads, and Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta Tires, Ny-Trex Nitrous, and more. 345RWHP/354lbsTQ 12.8@108
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
DaveNAndi

Can you tell me what the adapter was, and where is the factory XM? Is the factory XM in the stock radio, like I have been told? But I have also been told that it is behind the glovebox, it's burried in the dash behind the radio, it's under the back seat, it's in the dash kinda infront of the driver.

I have been told so much conflicting stuff, that I don't know.

The reason that I am asking is that I would prefer to plan on taking the Camaro apart only ONCE. LOL
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
kennyo

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS L99
I just put in a Kenwood HU recently,I'd like to know about that adapter myself!
Mods-Dark Red Rally Stripes,Rotofab CAI,Dynatech ZL1 long tube headers and high flow cats with Borla S-Type catback exhaust,JRE tune,SS badges on trunk and grille,SM Tach chrome rims,Kenwood DNX890hd head unit,Hybrid audio clarus component set and Mirus 6x9 speakers,JL XD 700/5 amp.
kennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
IneedAZ

this is the adapter used http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A stereo shop did the install, so i dont know if he had to modify anything with the adapter. At first he didnt think he would need it, but then during the install he said he could use it. I dont know if the XM has a separate component from the stock radio as when i got my old stuff back i got the faceplate and the radio box, no separate box stating sirus/xm. The Pioneer XM tuner cost me $69 to go with my radio. He hid the navigation antenna under the center speaker grill.
2012: Vmax TBody, CAI w/scoop, Solo HFC, ZL1 FP, Magnaflow TruX, Dynomax VT, RX catch can, HP Tune, BMR; Springs, Sways, Trailing Arms, Toe Ends, & Safety Loop, Pioneer Z150bh, Phoenix Gold Sub, Hertz speakers & 5ch Amp, SS rear with 3.91 gears w/Eaton TrueTrac, and BMR bushings, Baer Decela Rotors, Goodridge brake lines, Brembo(GM) 4 piston calipers, Hawk Ceramic pads, and Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta Tires, Ny-Trex Nitrous, and more. 345RWHP/354lbsTQ 12.8@108
Old 08-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
DaveNAndi

To me that looks like the AM/FM antenna adapter. Could you post pics of the factory radio connections. Also did you get the Metro or Schose dash kit? The latter is tgd touch screen.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
IneedAZ

I did the Metra kit...i must admit i like the looks of the Scosche, but too many issues.
There are some pics of mine near the bottom of my thread found here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312213

I can dig out my old one and take some pics tonight if i dont forget.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
DaveNAndi

I leaning towards the Scosche kit. But I REALLY want to use factory ant for XM.

Hope you don't forget to take and post pics of factory radio, don't need factory face, actual radio. LOL
Old 08-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Ok I will let you know what I know about the xm antenna. I installed my upgraded radio . I think the XM radio is built into the factory radio because the shark fin XM antenna will work with a XM radio. I am about 95% certain that the shark fin XM connector are the same for the XM radio upgrade. I hope you have a strong XM signal where you are at because the shark fin is lousy for an XM. I live in the Seattle Washington area and a test I did I can only get XM about 50% of the time with the shark fin. With the XM antenna it was about 75% of the time. Next I tied it with a Sirius radio using the shark fin. The reception was about 75% then I used the Sirius antenna and the reception went up to about 95% of the time. I using the Sirius antenna. I do not like it but I hate regular radio more.
You will need the the adapter that IneedAZ posted for the AM/FM radio section.
If you need a extension for the xm radio let me know I have one that I can give you.

Caddy
Caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
IneedAZ

Here are two pics of the back of the factory radio:

Old 08-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
DaveNAndi

K to me it looks like the black port is the AM/FM
Old 08-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNAndi View Post
K to me it looks like the black port is the AM/FM
Yes the black port is the am/fm connector and the one at lower left is the XM connector.

Caddy
Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
jeffa

Drives: 2012 1LT Victory Red
The XM radio receiver is in the main factory radio unit.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
jeffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
this is the adapter used http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A stereo shop did the install, so i dont know if he had to modify anything with the adapter. At first he didnt think he would need it, but then during the install he said he could use it. I dont know if the XM has a separate component from the stock radio as when i got my old stuff back i got the faceplate and the radio box, no separate box stating sirus/xm. The Pioneer XM tuner cost me $69 to go with my radio. He hid the navigation antenna under the center speaker grill.
That adapter listed in the link is to convert the factory AM/FM antenna's European style connector to a standard Motorola connector that all aftermarket radio's use. It has nothing to do with the XM antenna connector.

I will look at my factory radio that I removed along with the universal aftermarket XM tuner that I have to verify that the connector on the factory shark fin XM antenna is the same that is used on the aftermarket XM tuner. I will post information tomorrow...
Old 08-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
IneedAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
That adapter listed in the link is to convert the factory AM/FM antenna's European style connector to a standard Motorola connector that all aftermarket radio's use. It has nothing to do with the XM antenna connector.

I will look at my factory radio that I removed along with the universal aftermarket XM tuner that I have to verify that the connector on the factory shark fin XM antenna is the same that is used on the aftermarket XM tuner. I will post information tomorrow...
Very well possible, I went into this blind following other threads I bought what they bought and being the shop installed it not me I just gave them the cables to use. All in All, I am happy with the radio swap as I find the music much cleaner and really bring out the best in the Hertz speakers.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
jeffa

Quote:

UPDATE:
I checked the factory radio's XM antenna connector, and it is NOT the same connector that the aftermarket XM receiver uses. That means you will not be able to use the factory XM antenna in the shark fin, you will have to use the XM antenna that comes with the aftermarket XM receiver. It needs to be mounted on top of the dash below the windshield, it can't be hidden below the dash pad like a GPS antenna can.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
IneedAZ

Quote:
UPDATE:
I checked the factory radio's XM antenna connector, and it is NOT the same connector that the aftermarket XM receiver uses. That means you will not be able to use the factory XM antenna in the shark fin, you will have to use the XM antenna that comes with the aftermarket XM receiver. It needs to be mounted on top of the dash below the windshield, it can't be hidden below the dash pad like a GPS antenna can.
Someone must make an adapter or know how to make it work as two weeks ago I had Pioneer XM tuner installed with my Pioneer Z150bh radio and I am using factory original antennas
Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
Caddyroger

Quote:
UPDATE:
You can use the sharkfin for the xm antenna. You can get adapter from TSS radio for it. I had my Camaro sharkfin connected to a Sirius radio. The XM and Sirius use the same type of connector. The only thing about you lose a about 5% of the receiver antenna power.

Caddy
Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
Someone must make an adapter or know how to make it work as two weeks ago I had Pioneer XM tuner installed with my Pioneer Z150bh radio and I am using factory original antennas
TSS radio sells the adapter for the change. I let DavenAndi have it has I will not use the sharfin antenna. Here in Washington state it to hard to get a reception using the sharkfin so I use the Sirius antenna.

Caddy
Old 08-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
jeffa

OK, did not know of the TSS adapter....good info.