Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,746
My Dealer says Your Dealers are all ripping you off!

Hello Camaro5 folks!

I decided that I would go to my dealer today and see if I could place an order and then when they finally offer blue I would change the color on the order at a later date.

I had been reluctant do order one thinking I would be depriving another person of a car but I figured if there were any left on his allocation by now that everyone who was truly a die-hard would have ordered already and I wouldn't feel guilty if I ordered one and had to cancel it if they don't offer blue.

So, I went to the dealer and the salesman I normally see was not there so another guy offered to help me. I asked him what his allocation was and he said that GM has not given out that information, and they won't give it out for a long time. He said that dealers may get a showroom car in April or May but they had doubts that production would begin until the summer.

I asked the guy why he didn't know his allocation and he said that that information was not being given out. I said he could check on chevylaunch.com and find out and he said that they have been checking constantly but the info is just not there.

He then told me that nobody in my area would be seeing Camaros for the better part of the year because most of the dealers that get them would be the big dealers in major cities like NYC, LA, etc. He said that those dealers will surely ration them out with a $30K markup.

He told me that they could take a deposit like some dealers are but that just means I'd be giving them money to play around with indefinitely because they had no idea when the cars would actually start getting built and they couldn't place any orders not even for their own dealer stock.

He assured me that since they had hired a new sales guy 2 years ago that specialized in selling Corvettes that they were assured of a great allocation because of the high volume of vettes they had sold in the past 2 years which was huge compared to other local dealers. I just had to wait for GM to tell them their allocation.

I then said I didn't want to call him a liar but several of my friends on Camaro5.com has already placed orders and were even given order numbers and knew what place they had on their dealer allocations. Some guys were #1 out of 5, other guys were #2 out of 3, and so on. The guy told me to "forget what you read on the internet." and "it's all a bunch of B.S." and that nobody was given any allocation and all dealers were doing was taking deposits to "reserve a space in line" for when GM finally gave out allocations.

He said he would be happy to take a deposit from me to reserve my place in line and that he had several other guys foaming at the mouth as well but he talked them out of it too. But if I was really that eager they would be glad to take my money and give me a slip of paper saying I was reserving my place for when allocations become available. He said that he was "doing a favor" for me by not taking money from me and that dealers that were supposedly taking orders were going to have all that money to "play around with" and were ripping enthusiasts off by leading them on like that.

I just wanted to put that out there and see if any of you had any reaction to what my dealer was saying and perhaps if I had miscommunicated to him in some way what I wanted or misunderstood what he was saying. This dealer has been serving my family for 30 years and always has been good so I am saddened by the fact that what he says seems to be so my different than what I read here.

Of coruse he did warn me to not pay any attention to the internet...
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,123
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Sounds like he's just misinformed.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
The_Blur
Rock Chalk
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: Demon Super Sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,689
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I don't really blame salespeople for not knowing everything about this car or even GM policy. How much do any of us know about our companies, products, or services? It is hard to demand a car salesperson to know everything about this car and its allotment, features, or options.

This guys does not know what is happening when it comes to the Camaro. Many of us here at Camaro5 have an expertise in the Camaro. We don't have expertise in other cars. For example, I can tell you all about the Camaro, but don't think I'll be able to recite options or pricing for a Chevy Aveo. I know a little about the Aveo, but I couldn't tell you all of the features like I can with the Camaro. As a salesperson, this guy is responsible for a lot of cars and trucks. It is impossible to memorize every feature of every car on the lot.

Basically, just expect them to price it for you. You can learn the features and options here. Camaro5 is full of great buying advice, too. Don't expect your salesperson to guide you through the process. They're only there for a paycheck; you're there for your favorite new Chevy.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me
 
GothamCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NW Gotham, IL
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Sounds like he's just misinformed.
Yup. He could be the nicest guy in the world but he's misinformed.
__________________
Own- "Does it come in Black?" Exterior/ Grey Interior 2LT/RS Automatic
_____________________________________
The Batman would only drive a 2010 Camaro and buy from Camaro Scotty. 'Nuff said.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
NVMY68SS
Drives #296
 
NVMY68SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smithfield, NC
Posts: 953
It's really a shame that they can't just read the information that GM sends them and follow simple directions. My dealer called me and asked me not to come in until the information was up. I had to tell him it was, we know MSRP, let's go! I think some of them may resent how much the general public (or enthusiasts) knows before they do. I mean come on, it's a guaranteed sale. No pressure. Reading things like this makes me think some of them are not hurting as much as they'd like us to believe.

Funny thing is, they are probably sitting there with a huge allocation and probably don't even know it. Truly sad............
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,746
When I was talking to him I couldn't help but shake the feeling that he was perfectly informed and was trying to misinform ME!

I'm going to try a different dealer on Monday.

I am a bit worried though because the guy was talking about huge markups being put on by other dealers. I was getting the feeling maybe he was going to say his markup was much smaller than others...
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,267
Captain - we have published the MSRP and dealer cost for everything here on camaro5. How can anyone here get ripped off? Nobody who does research on Camaro5 will get scammed. Your dealer is not well educated with respect to the Camaro. Look for a dealer on Killer74Z28 thread to find someone who is fair and has sold to fellow Camaro5 members.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
Silverghost
 
Silverghost's Avatar
 
Drives: Z28
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 533
if I wanted you to come back to me for the sale then I too would tell you that everyone else will be marking it up an outragous amount.
__________________
Speed Kills - Drive a Ford and live forever!

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,747
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Hello Camaro5 folks!

I decided that I would go to my dealer today and see if I could place an order and then when they finally offer blue I would change the color on the order at a later date.

I had been reluctant do order one thinking I would be depriving another person of a car but I figured if there were any left on his allocation by now that everyone who was truly a die-hard would have ordered already and I wouldn't feel guilty if I ordered one and had to cancel it if they don't offer blue.

So, I went to the dealer and the salesman I normally see was not there so another guy offered to help me. I asked him what his allocation was and he said that GM has not given out that information, and they won't give it out for a long time. He said that dealers may get a showroom car in April or May but they had doubts that production would begin until the summer.

I asked the guy why he didn't know his allocation and he said that that information was not being given out. I said he could check on chevylaunch.com and find out and he said that they have been checking constantly but the info is just not there.

He then told me that nobody in my area would be seeing Camaros for the better part of the year because most of the dealers that get them would be the big dealers in major cities like NYC, LA, etc. He said that those dealers will surely ration them out with a $30K markup.

He told me that they could take a deposit like some dealers are but that just means I'd be giving them money to play around with indefinitely because they had no idea when the cars would actually start getting built and they couldn't place any orders not even for their own dealer stock.

He assured me that since they had hired a new sales guy 2 years ago that specialized in selling Corvettes that they were assured of a great allocation because of the high volume of vettes they had sold in the past 2 years which was huge compared to other local dealers. I just had to wait for GM to tell them their allocation.

I then said I didn't want to call him a liar but several of my friends on Camaro5.com has already placed orders and were even given order numbers and knew what place they had on their dealer allocations. Some guys were #1 out of 5, other guys were #2 out of 3, and so on. The guy told me to "forget what you read on the internet." and "it's all a bunch of B.S." and that nobody was given any allocation and all dealers were doing was taking deposits to "reserve a space in line" for when GM finally gave out allocations.

He said he would be happy to take a deposit from me to reserve my place in line and that he had several other guys foaming at the mouth as well but he talked them out of it too. But if I was really that eager they would be glad to take my money and give me a slip of paper saying I was reserving my place for when allocations become available. He said that he was "doing a favor" for me by not taking money from me and that dealers that were supposedly taking orders were going to have all that money to "play around with" and were ripping enthusiasts off by leading them on like that.

I just wanted to put that out there and see if any of you had any reaction to what my dealer was saying and perhaps if I had miscommunicated to him in some way what I wanted or misunderstood what he was saying. This dealer has been serving my family for 30 years and always has been good so I am saddened by the fact that what he says seems to be so my different than what I read here.

Of coruse he did warn me to not pay any attention to the internet...
he is a sack of poo
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!
 
Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
When I was talking to him I couldn't help but shake the feeling that he was perfectly informed and was trying to misinform ME!

I'm going to try a different dealer on Monday.

I am a bit worried though because the guy was talking about huge markups being put on by other dealers. I was getting the feeling maybe he was going to say his markup was much smaller than others...
I could see where you might get the impression. First off, we know for a fact the the dealers recieved their allocation numbers last week, we also know from the podcast and from experience, that orders were taken starting the 13th.

I feel really bad for the people that have to deal with this crap. My dealer has been in Tucson for 86 years. Still a family business, and will not sell over MSRP unless there are dealer installed options.
Finding a "dealer" that still has a passion for the cars they sell is getting hard to find. That's one of the main reasons I will not buy from Jim Click Ford/Mazda/Kia... you name it he owns it and could give a rats a$$ about people, only the quick buck.

/rant off
__________________
1969 Camaro
2010 2SS/RS CGM traded for...
2013 ZL1 Triple Black
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Captain - we have published the MSRP and dealer cost for everything here on camaro5. How can anyone here get ripped off? Nobody who does research on Camaro5 will get scammed. Your dealer is not well educated with respect to the Camaro. Look for a dealer on Killer74Z28 thread to find someone who is fair and has sold to fellow Camaro5 members.
In a nutshell, I am trying to say I believe you guys over the dealer but I cannot imagine why he would give me such a crazy story that doesn't jive with anything I see here if he wanted my business. Essentially, I had a deposit in hand and could have placed an order just like you guys did, but he was talking me out of it.

The second he said he didn't know what allocation he had I decided I wasn't going to place an order with him but I tried to keep the conversation going to find out what his game was and I couldn't figure it out.

Why turn away a potential order?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
In a nutshell, I am trying to say I believe you guys over the dealer but I cannot imagine why he would give me such a crazy story that doesn't jive with anything I see here if he wanted my business. Essentially, I had a deposit in hand and could have placed an order just like you guys did, but he was talking me out of it.

The second he said he didn't know what allocation he had I decided I wasn't going to place an order with him but I tried to keep the conversation going to find out what his game was and I couldn't figure it out.

Why turn away a potential order?
because if he admits that he doesnt know about a product, then his liability is at stake. especially if he isnt the guy you normally talk to.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
rayhawk

 
rayhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: Trailblazer SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 998
The answer is simple, he probably wants to order cars for the lot planning to make as much money as possible off of them. Unfortunately there will always be people that will pay a big markup if they can go down to the dealer and pick a car up as soon as it comes out. This guy wants to discourage you from taking that spot, as he knows the big markups will not last long. If he uses one of his spots for you, he loses the chance to make the big markup. He knows the car will sell if it is on the lot. Find a different dealer.
__________________
Hooters, hooters, yum yum yum, hooters, hooters on a girl thats dumb.
-Al Bundy

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
OldTimer
 
OldTimer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 376
$30,000 mark up? I have my deal to buy at msrp in writing so if someone wants a silver and black 2SS/RS for $30K mark up mine is available........
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did you get an order # or any refernce for your pre-order? D1BADZ Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 21 05-22-2009 05:39 PM
Factory Striping vs. Dealer Installed RetroDude Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 1 04-23-2009 01:01 AM
UPCOMING CAMARO IMPORTANT DATES CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 125 01-11-2009 12:31 AM
Looking for a new dealer.... (Dealer Transcript) GreySteele06 Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 41 12-18-2008 05:42 AM
FAQ's Angrybird 12 Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 1 10-14-2008 03:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.