Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #76
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Iroquois View Post
i have the first order for 2011 at my dealer in south eastern Ontario. i put my money down over 2 months ago and i have an order number. i am going to cancel my 2011 order tomorrow. i REALLY dont like the current interior. i am happy to wait for a possibility better fit! i am very excited!!
I'd only ask this...is the possibility minor change really worth waiting a whole year more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveprimo View Post
Thats kinda B.S.... We were the first to buy them now more upgrades/quality is gonna be incorporated into next years? Well, live and learn I guess
2012 is 3 years from the start...Did you expect the car to get worse with time?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #77
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Thats kinda B.S.... We were the first to buy them now more upgrades/quality is gonna be incorporated into next years? Well, live and learn I guess
Not really...it's the same with computers, MP3 players, etc. Continual product improvements.

If GM didn't do it, they'd be crucified for that as well.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #78
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Maybe they should look less to Chevrolet for interior cues and look at what Holden did with the last few models that made it over here as Pontiacs. For the price of a 2SS there's no excuse as to why it can't have seats as nice as the last GTO.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #79
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Its good that there is a desire to improve but, who cares about Audi. I don't want a european car. I want a Chevy. And Chevys don't look or feel like an Audi. Just my two cents.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:43 AM   #80
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
You know with all the turrmoil that GM had actually getting the Camaro into production, I think that we are lucky that the 2010 is as good as it is. I personally expected it to be a disaster and was pleasantly surprised when I sat in one for the first time. It's nice to see that GM is trying to improve on what was a rush rush........on hold.......rush rush design, even if we all love it now. I'll be glad to see what they do, as I'm probably buying in 2012.........hopefully a Z28.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:45 AM   #81
rawj7
U.S. ARMY Aviation Mech

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
I've been really hoping they'd do something with the interior. It's the only disappointing thing about this otherwise, amazing looking car.

We own an Audi and a Mercedes and while I'm happy to hear that GM's goal is Audi-quality, it doesn't need to fully match Audi quality to satisfy someone like myself. I realize there is a signficant price-point difference and I just want something more professional and modern-looking with improved materials.

Items I hope they change:
  • Center Stack: Get rid of the gimmicky, robot-looking radio/head-unit and give us a double-din-type unit with a nice LCD screen and Nav/back-up cam capability. They can do this cheaply. They don't need a head-unit that is specifically designed for the Camaro. That doesn't make sense for reducing costs. Go with a standard double-din unit. Should save cost, look better and give people the options they want.
  • Climate control: Get rid of the playstation controls (that looked cool on the concept but didn't translate well in plastic) and give option for automatic/electronic climate control. What car these days doesn't have that option?
  • Tacky-looking loop door handles. Most cars have a nice, small, L-Shaped handle. No need for a big, chrome loop. Or go push-button like the 'Vette.
  • Guages: Shape of speedo/tach is nice and unique. But look of the gauges should be more professional and modern looking with better quality trim.
  • Air-conditioning outlets: The center one looks very unfinished, the way it sits behind the dash plastic.
  • Steering Wheel - Not a major priority for me but prefer something better looking
Address most of these areas and I'll be purchasing in 2012...
On everything except the stearing wheel, I'm one of the off beat ones I guess when it comes to the stearing wheel, I really like it. I sure do hope they put in Automatic climate control that would help them out and better materials. I wish they offered a LCD NAV Screen But I'm thinking the reason they dont is becuase of all the money and marketing theve poored into OnStar, If they start putting in good quality NAV's at a good price point there OnStar will lose ALOT of buisness.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #82
rawj7
U.S. ARMY Aviation Mech

Quote:
Not trying to You, Just want to point something out. GM came out with a great car. But that dosent mean they shouldent always keep improveing it and they will. They have to, You know there Competitors will. This car has been out for a year now, abouts, and we just got ours, and there isnt a day that when I or her take it out we come home with a story about what someone said or there they gave us. In 5 years from now that might not be quite as comin, thats what early adoption gets you, or you can wait and have something a littel better I hope anyway, but the next year will be something even better and so on. Or lets hope because that would truely mean GM has turned a great corner. As for US, Yes we would like something a littel nicer in the interior segment but thats what aftermarkets are for and we LOVE Our Car right now the way it is and We dont plan on tradeing up. Though maybe getting a second one someday is something nice to dream about
Old 05-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #83
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:

Don't forget, your Camaro was designed, engineered, and assembled under turmoil in cash-straped old GM (they did a magnificent job considering the circumstances, but now they can do better). New GM really is a different company. Whitacre is laying the hammer down on decision makers to make better decisions, and the money is available for them to do things they weren't able to do before.

As one of the quality control people checking final pre-production on a Chevy Cruze who rejected one because there was a <1 millimeter gap in the instrument pannel assembly said: "We're not building Cobalts anymore"
Old 05-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #84
Agent Iroquois

Drives: 1992 firebird convert
[QUOTE=Dragoneye;1914048]I'd only ask this...is the possibility minor change really worth waiting a whole year more?

well....i see what youre saying. but, it gives me more time to pay off student loan and save more downpayment. so....while i TOTALLY dont want to wait a year.....i dont completely mind waiting. i find that i am some what a pleasure delayer anyway.

i hope that the interior is not so much audi as much MODERN.

i hope you all have a great weekend!
Agent Iroquois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #85
nosrettap58
nosrettap58

Drives: 2012 cadillac srx
Quote:
That's kind of a lesson for not buying first model years with me. The car always gets better as bugs are worked out and they freshen the car through the years. Just the way it's always been. The first gen only went 2 years before a body style change etc. It's all good, it will always be a sweet car.
nosrettap58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #86
Stormyone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM M6
I like the interior, I like the steering wheel... and I like the gauges.... also like the stereo, climate controls etc... There is probably a happy medium between cost and superior interior materials, but I have no idea what that would be.... I am sure improvements will be made, but if history holds true, the better things get, the higher the cost, in which case GM will outprice the car for the market interested in the car.... I enjoy the car for what it is.... its a chevy, a very nice chevy, but its a chevy... Are people willing to pay for a chevy car which aspires to be a european supercar? I am not sure, how are the Corvette ZR-1 sales?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:39 AM   #87
rawj7
U.S. ARMY Aviation Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyone View Post
I like the interior, I like the steering wheel... and I like the gauges.... also like the stereo, climate controls etc... There is probably a happy medium between cost and superior interior materials, but I have no idea what that would be.... I am sure improvements will be made, but if history holds true, the better things get, the higher the cost, in which case GM will outprice the car for the market interested in the car.... I enjoy the car for what it is.... its a chevy, a very nice chevy, but its a chevy... Are people willing to pay for a chevy car which aspires to be a european supercar? I am not sure, how are the Corvette ZR-1 sales?
I went for a drive yesterday. And I couldent help but think of this thread. And after thinking and ENJOYING, I Love my car. GM did Awsome with this one.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #88
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
Its good that there is a desire to improve but, who cares about Audi. I don't want a european car. I want a Chevy. And Chevys don't look or feel like an Audi. Just my two cents.
You miss the point. GM is saying the measure of interior QUALITY is Audi. That is very much a good thing. That's not saying that they're going to copy an Audi interior. It's saying the want an interior that's approaching the QUALITY that people attribute to an Audi.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #89
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyone View Post
You may like the interior and its quirkiness but plenty of people don't. Chevrolet wants more mass appeal. Nothing wrong with that.

This 2010-2011 Camaro is LEAPS and BOUNDS improved over the previous generation. Is the price unaffordable becuase of all the improvements made? NO. They can continue to make improvments in the interior without skyrocketing the price.

You also miss the point. Chevy hardly aspires to have the Camaro be a European supercar. They are simply putting much needed emphasis on interiors, which help sell cars. Using Audi as a measure of reference is a GOOD THING.

Who cares about the sales of the ZR-1? It has nothing to do with anything. that car is not intended to be a high-volume seller.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #90
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr1950 View Post
I think the interior on the 5th gen is a big upgrade from the 3rd and 4th gen f-bodies I owned. .
No doubt. I am very happy with the interior, but it's nice to see GM wanting to coninue to improve it.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #91
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
You may like the interior and its quirkiness but plenty of people don't. Chevrolet wants more mass appeal. Nothing wrong with that.

This 2010-2011 Camaro is LEAPS and BOUNDS improved over the previous generation. Is the price unaffordable becuase of all the improvements made? NO. They can continue to make improvments in the interior without skyrocketing the price.

You also miss the point. Chevy hardly aspires to have the Camaro be a European supercar. They are simply putting much needed emphasis on interiors, which help sell cars. Using Audi as a measure of reference is a GOOD THING.

Who cares about the sales of the ZR-1? It has nothing to do with anything. that car is not intended to be a high-volume seller.
No offense, but you're missing the point. This Camaro isn't a sedan, it's designers shouldn't prefer an interior like a sedan's. It's a muscle car, it's interior should be affordably brash. It sells fine just the way it is, it's going to sell better once all the options like convertible, Z28, etc... come out.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #92
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
The dash is by far the worst part of the car............. but I doubt we will see nothing but a few refinements for the time being.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #93
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
No offense, but you're missing the point. This Camaro isn't a sedan, it's designers shouldn't prefer an interior like a sedan's. It's a muscle car, it's interior should be affordably brash. It sells fine just the way it is, it's going to sell better once all the options like convertible, Z28, etc... come out.
But would you agree (and I'm just playing Devil's advocate here), that even though something's good with room for improvement...improving is a good thing?

I like that they're not settling down...that's really the message I take away from these reports. There's no compliance...no "rest". constant, constant Improvement.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #94
Texhawk

Drives: 69 Camaro, 87IROC, 96 SS, Z06 & 2LT
The question is whether the average Camaro buyer will pay the premium for an "Audi quality interior".
Part of the reason that that GM can compete with Ferrari, Porsche, etc. at half the price is by concentrating on performance, and less on cosmetics.
Texhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #95
AZCamaroFan
This is the 6thGen

Drives: Camaros
Well the mustang got an interior makeover last year. Besides, GM is selling more SS's than they counted on, which is making the car more profitable. Plus the convertible and Z28 will come out next year too, for much higher prices.
They aren't making the dash nicer with an eye on jumping the price .
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #96
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
IMO, Its fine they are redoing the car and I think it is a win for anyone buying a new car.

But, I have already a FULLY upgraded interior with more done with higher end products than GM will ever use. Plus, indash dvd/nav make it cleaner so we are very happy.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #97
Stormyone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM M6
Quote:

I don't think I've missed the point at all... my point remains, if there is significant "improvements" to the interior of the car, using "better" materials, there is a trade off... At some point the cost of using better will have to increase the price of the car, and consequently consumers will have to pay more... The question is how much more will the "masses" be willing to pay for a better interior in a chevy? I don't know that answer, but I do know that a company can out-price a product so that people will opt not to buy it.... The ZR-1 sales factor in simply because the improvements made on that car impact how many will be sold... even if its not a high volume seller... Will the market that Chevy targeted as being willing to buy a ZR-1 which is a chevy that costs 100k? Last I checked, they are not selling as well as some had hoped..... those were the points I was attempting to convey...
Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #98
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
No offense, but you're missing the point. This Camaro isn't a sedan, it's designers shouldn't prefer an interior like a sedan's. It's a muscle car, it's interior should be affordably brash.
This is where you are wrong, and such thinking is partially to blame for GM's bankruptcy.

The expectation today by and large, for every car buyer, is top quality interior materior and fit and finish. They aren't expecting hand crafted wood trim and grain matched hand stitched leather, but they expect soft touch high quality plastics and impeccable fit and finish on everything. You say I'm crazy? Hyundai now makes interiors that are as good as Audi was 10 years ago. Their interiors are now better than most GM, many Honda, and even Toyota. Fact. GM cannot simply get by with saying "look at all the performance you get for $30k - the Camaro is by far the best deal". When Honda Civics have better grade plastic and fit and finish than a $30k Camaro the expectation is now beyond the fact that it's a muscle car and you get all the performance.

Unfair or silly to compare a Hyundai to a Camaro? When it comes to interior plastics and quality, not at all.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #99
5thGenOwner

Drives: 20TEN SS/RS L99 (SIM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
IMO, Its fine they are redoing the car and I think it is a win for anyone buying a new car.

But, I have already a FULLY upgraded interior with more done with higher end products than GM will ever use. Plus, indash dvd/nav make it cleaner so we are very happy.
That's exactly my point. If you want a real plush interior, you go all out... and it ain't cheap. For a car in the price range of the Camaro, that means doing it yourself, period. GM will never be able to keep the Camaro at the price points it is at if it wants to really impress people.

Gimme my bucket to sit on and 400+ horses! (and a body that = sex on wheels)
Old 05-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #100
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
But would you agree (and I'm just playing Devil's advocate here), that even though something's good with room for improvement...improving is a good thing?

I like that they're not settling down...that's really the message I take away from these reports. There's no compliance...no "rest". constant, constant Improvement.
I'm fine with improvements, it's basing it off the Audi's that bug me. Fit and finish in the Camaro is already excellent. The only "improvement" they can get from an Audi is style.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote