Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 10-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
jordan 572

Drives: none
ls3vl99

so these are both the same engine one is just a manuel that make more horse right? and also what one is the one that make the most hp? I am retarted i searched and i dont know if im right thanks
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The LS3 makes more horsepower at 422. The L99 features more fuel-saving technology, including VVT and AFM. The L99 keeps up with the LS3 and could pass it with very little modification.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
so these are both the same engine one is just a manuel that make more horse right? and also what one is the one that make the most hp? I am retarted i searched and i dont know if im right thanks
The L99 is a variant on the LS3 which includes active fuel management. Active fuel management shuts down half the cylinders when power isn't need. In the process of doing this they had to reduce the power a bit.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
ChevyBoiSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT
L99 is only available on the Automatic and was really built to sell to the markets of Inner-City enthusiats who do alot of city driving therefor consume alot more gas and want the benefits of an automatic. L99 has 22 fewer horsepower but like some other members have said I SERIOUSLY DOUBT you would even recognize the difference in power as in their times on straight aways were split by very minimal times.

Maybe at the track the manual would have an advantage depending on the driver, but on the random Expressway Showdowns believe me, the Automatic wins.

Random Expressway Showdowns (VERB) - A suitation in which two males feel they have been challenged by a car moving in the same direction and both feel that their car is better than the other. In which at a point in time both end up flooring it And the loser is whoever backs off first, or the winner is no longer in sight. -- LOL.

Thinking bout Victory Red 1SS/RS with Matte Black Custom Stripes. Automatic Transmission (L99)
and apparently a $900 dollar whole in my roof.

OHH.. DID I MENTION 24" off THE GROUND?!
ChevyBoiSS is offline   Reply With Quote