Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 10-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
kalel
Future Camaro Driver

Drives: 1995 Salvaged Pathfinder
swaPping wheels at home

there was a thread a out changing summer and winter tires at home. Is this feasible with the tire pressure monitoring system? Just trying to plan for winter time.
kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
divvichild
Corvette Owner

Drives: '06 MS Corvette Coupe
Unless you have the proper machine to remove the tire from the rim, no, it is not possible.

A car tire is not like a bike tire. There are two iron rods that run the circumference of the rim that keep the tire on. So, have fun trying to get it off, and even more fun trying to get it on. Plus, you will probably damage your rims.

Go to a local high school that has a auto shop. They should do it for you for REAL cheap, maybe even free. I took auto during HS, and the machines they have rival most mechanics.

Or find a buddy with connections.

EDIT: Another option. If money isn't an issue, buy a second set of rims, lol. Have the summer on one set, and winter on another. Not the cheapest option though.
divvichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:20 AM   #3
Tal

Drives: Old
I agree that changing just the tires in your own garage would be a huge pain at best. I suggest a relatively cheap set of steel rims for the winter season. As I understand it the tire pressure monitor attached to the valve stem with a long life battery, so you'll need extra monitors for the extra tires. I think you'll also need a tool to reset your car to work with the different sensors when changing tires. I would guess that in total this would add $500 (maybe less, I'm just guessing!) to the cost of having an extra set of rims with winter tires. If I still lived up north it's what I would do though, keeps your good rims out of the nasty and if you look at the longer term cost it's not that bad IMO.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
mbauer14085RS/SS2010

Drives: 99 blazer/2010 2ss/rs iom now
why would anyone even drive this beautiful car in the winter?
mbauer14085RS/SS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
If you MUST drive it in the winter, do yourself a favor and goet some steel wheels from a junkyard. If you're lucky, they'll have decent M&S tires on them already. I took that option when I was younger and it saved my nice rims from getting damaged by the salt.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Spaceballone

Drives: 1992 Custom RS, 2006 Civic
tool used

ok well swapping back and forth to the dealer for my stock 20's and added 21's i want to know if there is a way or what is the tool used to make the sensors communicate to the cars computer. I was told that each sensor 4 at a time (i have 8) have to be individually sync'd wit hthe cars computer to work. Now my question is to avoid going to the dealer every time i want to swapp out my wheels, can i buy a tool do help me sync my sensors to the car???
Spaceballone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Move to Arizona........ Problem solved!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
Move to Arizona........ Problem solved!
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballone View Post
ok well swapping back and forth to the dealer for my stock 20's and added 21's i want to know if there is a way or what is the tool used to make the sensors communicate to the cars computer. I was told that each sensor 4 at a time (i have 8) have to be individually sync'd wit hthe cars computer to work. Now my question is to avoid going to the dealer every time i want to swapp out my wheels, can i buy a tool do help me sync my sensors to the car???
Last I heard that sensor is over 500.00. And you need to prom scanner to interface it.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
Boy you guys make stuff harder than it needs to be!

Go to your dealership and buy a new set of sensors....I swap rims/tires on my 2007 Avalanche for winter....cost me $70 for the set of 4 sensors. At the most they should charge you no more than $90.

My local dealer (ELCO Chevrolet) charges me $25 to swap the tires, set the CPU to the correct tire size, and sync up the pressure sensors.

Delivered: 29 June 09 !!!

Current:
'57 BelAir 2Dr Post
'07 Avalanche LTZ (daily driver)
'10 Traverse (wife's demo)
'99 Harley FLHTC
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
On my 2008 GMC Sierra, there is a procedure in the owner's manual for re-syncing the TPMS sensors. I can't imagine the Camaro would be any different. It's a simple procedure that you can do in about 5 minutes. It involves putting the truck into "TPMS relearn" mode and letting air out of or adding air to each wheel/tire in a set sequence. As each wheel location is learned, the horn beeps once. The horn beeps twice at the very end to confirm the process was successful.

Also, like josh said, just buy a second set of sensors to install in your winter wheel/tire combo.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
JChen

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT RS
I plan on swapping my wheels out for winter ones and winter tires when the weather demands it...

My question is... I don't think I'll bother with the TPMS on the winter wheels... Besides a indicator on the dash, everything will be kosher, right?
JChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
SilverIce1
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
On my 2008 GMC Sierra, there is a procedure in the owner's manual for re-syncing the TPMS sensors. I can't imagine the Camaro would be any different. It's a simple procedure that you can do in about 5 minutes. It involves putting the truck into "TPMS relearn" mode and letting air out of or adding air to each wheel/tire in a set sequence. As each wheel location is learned, the horn beeps once. The horn beeps twice at the very end to confirm the process was successful.

Also, like josh said, just buy a second set of sensors to install in your winter wheel/tire combo.
I have my stock 19's and bought a complete set of LS 18's for winter.

Having done this on my Camaro twice, Summer to Winter to summer already, it is really easy. Put the DIC into learn mode, start with the driver front and add or release air for up to 10 seconds until the horn beeps once. Move to pass. front and do the same, pass rear and driver's rear. When the drivers rear is done it will beep another two time indicating total success. You will have 2 minutes to complete all four tire/sensors.

Also, when my tpms was not working (prior to reading the owners manual!!!!!) it was a major pain to have the car show me at every start up that service is needed on the tpmw system. I will not run any wheels without tpms.
SilverIce1 is offline   Reply With Quote