Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
What would it take?

Hello. First let me say to that I am well aware that the SS V8 Camaro owns all and is the best platform for modifications, so no need to remind me. I want the V6 for the gas mileage and when it's paid off then I'd like to mod it. Anyways I've noticed that currently there are v6 mustangs that are in the 11 and even 10 seconds in the quarter mile ( Heck, my 4 banger is in the 11's ). I know anything said here is speculation, but what do you think it would take to Mod the new DI V6 maro into the 11's? Bolt-ons? Cams? Tuning? FI? Internals? All of the above. With the way these cars will sell, and the way the aftermarket has supported the V6 mustang I'm sure people will get there, I just want your help speculating until then.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
alot of all of the above.
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
GamerGuyZ28
5TH GEN BURNOUTS!
 
GamerGuyZ28's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 Z28, and a 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toccoa, GA
Posts: 130
what V6 Mustangs do 10 and 11 in the quarter, do you realize how fast that is? i think you are mistaken.
GamerGuyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,770
Turbo(s) plus supporting mods. I think it will be interesting to see how the DI affects some of this. The past 2 cars I have owned were DI (4cyl, 6cyl) .. seems the limiting factor in these were fuel .. I don't think it is quite as easy to increase fuel in DI applications ..

Crowley
__________________
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,413
Yep...big turbo, exhaust, etc.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,731
A V6 mustang in the 1/4 is a purpose built machine that drive like carp everywhere else. If thats specifically what your after your going to have to do some research and push the envelope with parts (exotic materials and FINE tolerances) and add some type of forced induction.

It might be doable with N/A but its going to be VERY expesive as opposed to F/I
__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!
 
Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 802
Lets also not forget that those 4 bangers weigh just north of 3k lbs, and some not even that.

Don't get me wrong. Do a google search and you will find 9 sec V6's, but the majority are heavily modded cars. I'm all for that if you can do it, just won't be me
__________________
1969 Camaro
2010 2SS/RS CGM traded for...
2013 ZL1 Triple Black
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyZ28 View Post
what V6 Mustangs do 10 and 11 in the quarter, do you realize how fast that is? i think you are mistaken.
Wrong. For starters there is the purpose built "Lil 6" that uses a Vortech supercharger and runs in the 10's. There are also a few guys with built engines and twin turbo setups that run 10's, you can check them out at dragtimes.com. I'm just wondering how different it will be for the Camaro's DI V6 because the mustang has a 4.0 Iron block motor if I understand correctly.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
fazm
 
Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: arizona
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyZ28 View Post
what V6 Mustangs do 10 and 11 in the quarter, do you realize how fast that is? i think you are mistaken.

mine lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
A V6 mustang in the 1/4 is a purpose built machine that drive like carp everywhere else. If thats specifically what your after your going to have to do some research and push the envelope with parts (exotic materials and FINE tolerances) and add some type of forced induction.

It might be doable with N/A but its going to be VERY expesive as opposed to F/I
you live in phoenix, you are welcome to ride around in my v6 mustang, drives just like it did stock, no gutting the car or anything.


to answer the OP, it would take a turbo, slicks, weight reduction, a stick shift (or high stall auto) and praying the car held together. its what i do everytime i travel down the 1320'
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper
 
Kyle2k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Turbo(s) plus supporting mods. I think it will be interesting to see how the DI affects some of this. The past 2 cars I have owned were DI (4cyl, 6cyl) .. seems the limiting factor in these were fuel .. I don't think it is quite as easy to increase fuel in DI applications ..

Crowley
Don't they use less fuel more efficiently though?
__________________
Kyle2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 AM   #11
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Wow, thanks for chiming in. I'd love to see your ride. Some questions- Do you have forged internals? What brand turbo/manifold do you have, and do you have a single or twin turbo setup?
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 AM   #12
fazm
 
Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: arizona
Posts: 606
stock longblock, no modifications.

i run jba shortie headers, but stock ones work just fine (i had the jba's before i went turbo)

the turbo is a precision pt-61 with .81 a/r single setup.
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:45 AM   #13
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Was this a kit that you bought? If so..from where? One last question - how much boost are you running?
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Detroit, Mi
Posts: 595
It's going to be too much.... That's all I can say...
__________________
4 life!
Currently Driving: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #15
fazm
 
Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: arizona
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilangel View Post
Was this a kit that you bought? If so..from where? One last question - how much boost are you running?
yes its a kit, although ive made some changes to the crossover pipe, and slight cold pipe changes. its from www.powerhouse411.com

from 8.86 to 14.4 psi with the push of a button (9, 12, 14psi settings, but boost varies)
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #16
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Detroit, Mi
Posts: 595
fazm, I wanted to ask you just to give an idea to the other members on here of what it costs to convert a N/A 6cyl such as the mustang with the kit, could you give us an idea of what you paid total with installing everything? Did you have to upgrade the transmission? What other costs were associated with converting to F.I.?
__________________
4 life!
Currently Driving: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged

Last edited by SS4EVER; 10-24-2008 at 12:55 AM.
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #17
andyrew
 
andyrew's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A4 STG3, Porsche 914 v8
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Modesto, ca
Posts: 126
http://www.web-cars.com/math/qtr_mile.html
430hp.. I assume thats with sticky tires and perfect everything.. so maybe 475hp...


So.. a turbo, and sticky tires... and all the supporting mods.
andyrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #18
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Detroit, Mi
Posts: 595
To give you an idea.

Let's look at a 350Z or a Pontiac Solstice/Sky for comparison.

The Nissan 350Z having a N/A V6 would probably be the closest to compare to a V6 Camaro. They both have around the same HP too.

According to turbokits.com http://www.turbokits.com/350Z_turbo_kits.html
There are four turbo kits available for the 350Z...
Two single turbo kits for $4795 & $4895
Two twin turbo kits for $6895 & $8895

Now, if you don't have the know how and don't install it yourself it's also going to cost you labor to get done professionally.

You'll also need supporting mods such as...
Transmission = upgrade clutch and/or flywheel
Electronics = boost controller, turbo timer, etc
you may also have to upgrade axles, possibly suspension...

And for running high boost applications you probably would have to upgrade the internals, either by getting a re-inforced block, cams, pistons, etc.... Those aren't cheap either...

Oh and you'll have to tune it as well.

So there's more than you think.
__________________
4 life!
Currently Driving: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:13 AM   #19
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
I see your point, but there will be people who can't afford the V8 or its gas consumption for that matter, and will want to mod their Camaros later on. I do believe the aftermarket support will be better than the 350z's, which is quite pricey comparedto other cars like the Evo or Ls1 based vehicles ( I have a friend who owns a modded 350z ). With the way this Camaro will hopefully sell, there will be a large demand. I know what you mean when you say that there is more than you think, once I started modding my car for serious hp I went through 2 clutches and had to put t-bolt clamps and Samco hoses on everything because my intercooler pipes kept pooping off everytime I went WOT. Not to mention all the fuel upgrades.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #20
Dom
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilangel View Post
Hello. First let me say to that I am well aware that the SS V8 Camaro owns all and is the best platform for modifications, so no need to remind me. I want the V6 for the gas mileage and when it's paid off then I'd like to mod it. Anyways I've noticed that currently there are v6 mustangs that are in the 11 and even 10 seconds in the quarter mile ( Heck, my 4 banger is in the 11's ). I know anything said here is speculation, but what do you think it would take to Mod the new DI V6 maro into the 11's? Bolt-ons? Cams? Tuning? FI? Internals? All of the above. With the way these cars will sell, and the way the aftermarket has supported the V6 mustang I'm sure people will get there, I just want your help speculating until then.
You know you're going to get much worse gas mileage after you mod it. If you want to get into the 11s I highly suggest the SS. It will cost you much more to buy the V6 and mod it then to buy a V8 and mod it. You will need expensive mods for the 6, while the 8 can get there with the stock engine. There are plenty of converter only 4th gens in the 11s. Trust me on this one, I've seen many V6ers spend a ton of money and end up with a highly unreliable track only car in the end. If you have all this money for mods, you surely have money for gas.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:23 AM   #21
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
You know you're going to get much worse gas mileage after you mod it. If you want to get into the 11s I highly suggest the SS. It will cost you much more to buy the V6 and mod it then to buy a V8 and mod it. You will need expensive mods for the 6, while the 8 can get there with the stock engine. There are plenty of converter only 4th gens in the 11s. Trust me on this one, I've seen many V6ers spend a ton of money and end up with a highly unreliable track only car in the end. If you have all this money for mods, you surely have money for gas.
not necesarilly, there are aussies with 700hp LSx engines with 30Mpg
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #22
Dom
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
not necesarilly, there are aussies with 700hp LSx engines with 30Mpg
I don't know what I said that made you say that.

Aussies are good with cars.



My point was, don't heavily mod the 6. In the end it's better to have a stock V8 then a modded V6 even if both run the same. Trust me from experience on this one. I plan on upgrading the suspension and doing intake/exhaust.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #23
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
You know you're going to get much worse gas mileage after you mod it. If you want to get into the 11s I highly suggest the SS. It will cost you much more to buy the V6 and mod it then to buy a V8 and mod it. You will need expensive mods for the 6, while the 8 can get there with the stock engine. There are plenty of converter only 4th gens in the 11s. Trust me on this one, I've seen many V6ers spend a ton of money and end up with a highly unreliable track only car in the end. If you have all this money for mods, you surely have money for gas.
Again, I agree. I know the LS is a better platform. It's just that for now I'd like the V6 for gas mileage purposes until it is no longer my daily driver, then mod it, still not sure yet though. Then I won't care about the gas mileage once it is no longer my daily driver.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:32 AM   #24
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I don't know what I said that made you say that.

Aussies are good with cars.



My point was, don't heavily mod the 6. In the end it's better to have a stock V8 then a modded V6 even if both run the same. Trust me from experience on this one. I plan on upgrading the suspension and doing intake/exhaust.
Hey Dom, off topic but I just noticed that you're from Rockford, have you found your Chevy dealer yet? I might go with Newman out in WI because they will honor my supplier's discount.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:34 AM   #25
Dom
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilangel View Post
Again, I agree. I know the LS is a better platform. It's just that for now I'd like the V6 for gas mileage purposes until it is no longer my daily driver, then mod it, still not sure yet though. Then I won't care about the gas mileage once it is no longer my daily driver.
Sounds good. You'll save $8K right off the bat.

That 3.6 is a highly advanced engine. Can't wait to see what it can do with mods. I wonder if there are any mods out for it since it's already in the Caddy.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.