Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #18
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Detroit, Mi
Posts: 595
To give you an idea.

Let's look at a 350Z or a Pontiac Solstice/Sky for comparison.

The Nissan 350Z having a N/A V6 would probably be the closest to compare to a V6 Camaro. They both have around the same HP too.

According to turbokits.com http://www.turbokits.com/350Z_turbo_kits.html
There are four turbo kits available for the 350Z...
Two single turbo kits for $4795 & $4895
Two twin turbo kits for $6895 & $8895

Now, if you don't have the know how and don't install it yourself it's also going to cost you labor to get done professionally.

You'll also need supporting mods such as...
Transmission = upgrade clutch and/or flywheel
Electronics = boost controller, turbo timer, etc
you may also have to upgrade axles, possibly suspension...

And for running high boost applications you probably would have to upgrade the internals, either by getting a re-inforced block, cams, pistons, etc.... Those aren't cheap either...

Oh and you'll have to tune it as well.

So there's more than you think.
__________________
4 life!
Currently Driving: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:13 AM   #19
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
I see your point, but there will be people who can't afford the V8 or its gas consumption for that matter, and will want to mod their Camaros later on. I do believe the aftermarket support will be better than the 350z's, which is quite pricey comparedto other cars like the Evo or Ls1 based vehicles ( I have a friend who owns a modded 350z ). With the way this Camaro will hopefully sell, there will be a large demand. I know what you mean when you say that there is more than you think, once I started modding my car for serious hp I went through 2 clutches and had to put t-bolt clamps and Samco hoses on everything because my intercooler pipes kept pooping off everytime I went WOT. Not to mention all the fuel upgrades.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #20
Dom
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilangel View Post
Hello. First let me say to that I am well aware that the SS V8 Camaro owns all and is the best platform for modifications, so no need to remind me. I want the V6 for the gas mileage and when it's paid off then I'd like to mod it. Anyways I've noticed that currently there are v6 mustangs that are in the 11 and even 10 seconds in the quarter mile ( Heck, my 4 banger is in the 11's ). I know anything said here is speculation, but what do you think it would take to Mod the new DI V6 maro into the 11's? Bolt-ons? Cams? Tuning? FI? Internals? All of the above. With the way these cars will sell, and the way the aftermarket has supported the V6 mustang I'm sure people will get there, I just want your help speculating until then.
You know you're going to get much worse gas mileage after you mod it. If you want to get into the 11s I highly suggest the SS. It will cost you much more to buy the V6 and mod it then to buy a V8 and mod it. You will need expensive mods for the 6, while the 8 can get there with the stock engine. There are plenty of converter only 4th gens in the 11s. Trust me on this one, I've seen many V6ers spend a ton of money and end up with a highly unreliable track only car in the end. If you have all this money for mods, you surely have money for gas.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:23 AM   #21
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,748
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
You know you're going to get much worse gas mileage after you mod it. If you want to get into the 11s I highly suggest the SS. It will cost you much more to buy the V6 and mod it then to buy a V8 and mod it. You will need expensive mods for the 6, while the 8 can get there with the stock engine. There are plenty of converter only 4th gens in the 11s. Trust me on this one, I've seen many V6ers spend a ton of money and end up with a highly unreliable track only car in the end. If you have all this money for mods, you surely have money for gas.
not necesarilly, there are aussies with 700hp LSx engines with 30Mpg
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #22
Dom
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
not necesarilly, there are aussies with 700hp LSx engines with 30Mpg
I don't know what I said that made you say that.

Aussies are good with cars.



My point was, don't heavily mod the 6. In the end it's better to have a stock V8 then a modded V6 even if both run the same. Trust me from experience on this one. I plan on upgrading the suspension and doing intake/exhaust.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #23
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
You know you're going to get much worse gas mileage after you mod it. If you want to get into the 11s I highly suggest the SS. It will cost you much more to buy the V6 and mod it then to buy a V8 and mod it. You will need expensive mods for the 6, while the 8 can get there with the stock engine. There are plenty of converter only 4th gens in the 11s. Trust me on this one, I've seen many V6ers spend a ton of money and end up with a highly unreliable track only car in the end. If you have all this money for mods, you surely have money for gas.
Again, I agree. I know the LS is a better platform. It's just that for now I'd like the V6 for gas mileage purposes until it is no longer my daily driver, then mod it, still not sure yet though. Then I won't care about the gas mileage once it is no longer my daily driver.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:32 AM   #24
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I don't know what I said that made you say that.

Aussies are good with cars.



My point was, don't heavily mod the 6. In the end it's better to have a stock V8 then a modded V6 even if both run the same. Trust me from experience on this one. I plan on upgrading the suspension and doing intake/exhaust.
Hey Dom, off topic but I just noticed that you're from Rockford, have you found your Chevy dealer yet? I might go with Newman out in WI because they will honor my supplier's discount.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:34 AM   #25
Dom
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilangel View Post
Again, I agree. I know the LS is a better platform. It's just that for now I'd like the V6 for gas mileage purposes until it is no longer my daily driver, then mod it, still not sure yet though. Then I won't care about the gas mileage once it is no longer my daily driver.
Sounds good. You'll save $8K right off the bat.

That 3.6 is a highly advanced engine. Can't wait to see what it can do with mods. I wonder if there are any mods out for it since it's already in the Caddy.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 AM   #26
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Sounds good. You'll save $8K right off the bat.

That 3.6 is a highly advanced engine. Can't wait to see what it can do with mods. I wonder if there are any mods out for it since it's already in the Caddy.
From what I understand D3 the co. that mods cadillacs including the DIV6 CTS are already making plans.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #27
Dom
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilangel View Post
Hey Dom, off topic but I just noticed that you're from Rockford, have you found your Chevy dealer yet? I might go with Newman out in WI because they will honor my supplier's discount.
If everything goes fine financially I plan on getting one in the summer. I hope they have their employee price deals during that time. I think I have a suppliers discount also. I haven't checked which is lower. It will save me about $3K. I also hope to be able to use at least $1K from my GM card rewards. No dealer picked out. Will look when I'm ready to buy.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 AM   #28
fazm
 
Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: arizona
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
fazm, I wanted to ask you just to give an idea to the other members on here of what it costs to convert a N/A 6cyl such as the mustang with the kit, could you give us an idea of what you paid total with installing everything? Did you have to upgrade the transmission? What other costs were associated with converting to F.I.?
the required upgrades?

turbo kit 4500
limited slip diff 200+ (depending on what you want to do)
driveshaft 300-500

if you are an auto, the trans is ok, otherwise the T5 needs to be upgraded.
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #29
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Detroit, Mi
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazm View Post
the required upgrades?

turbo kit 4500
limited slip diff 200+ (depending on what you want to do)
driveshaft 300-500

if you are an auto, the trans is ok, otherwise the T5 needs to be upgraded.
Not bad. I'm assuming the kit probably came with an intercooler and other cooling mods, did the kit come with a boost controller?
__________________
4 life!
Currently Driving: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #30
stratman
Goldmember
 
stratman's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 CTS-V
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Sounds good. You'll save $8K right off the bat.

That 3.6 is a highly advanced engine. Can't wait to see what it can do with mods. I wonder if there are any mods out for it since it's already in the Caddy.
You might save $8k up front but I guarantee you the first major mod you do will take that $8k right out of your pocket and then some. Mods like that are not only expensive they are fickle as hell. A buddy of mine dropped a Twin Turbo Supra motor in a Lexus LS-430. Ran strong for a while and I mean strong. Then he took it to the dino to get tuned. Dumped like 430hp on the first pull then ate itself. In the last three years that motor has crapped on the dino twice, been out of that car 4 times, had two cranks installed, had heads ported and had a valve job, been converted to a single turbo (this is what I call the Tool Time upgrade) and a tone of stuff I can’t even think of with the drive train.

Not to mention mods to brakes and suspension cause if your going to add considerable amount of power and not upgrade that as well, I recommend budgeting for a five point and a roll cage. I got a handful of stories like this I can tell ya about almost every moded car I know of. You can spend $8k now or $12-$15k (try to put a number on what I just wrote: drivetrain, brakes, suspension) tomorrow. Making power is easy. Making RELIABLE power you can street is very difficult. And honestly, it’s been my experience few people do it better than the factory. I’m not saying don’t do it, cause who doesn’t want to see forced induction on these things, but don’t do it thinking your going to save money. Plus what is three miles per gallon really going to cost you?
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #31
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Detroit, Mi
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
You might save $8k up front but I guarantee you the first major mod you do will take that $8k right out of your pocket and then some. Mods like that are not only expensive they are fickle as hell. A buddy of mine dropped a Twin Turbo Supra motor in a Lexus LS-430. Ran strong for a while and I mean strong. Then he took it to the dino to get tuned. Dumped like 430hp on the first pull then ate itself. In the last three years that motor has crapped on the dino twice, been out of that car 4 times, had two cranks installed, had heads ported and had a valve job, been converted to a single turbo (this is what I call the Tool Time upgrade) and a tone of stuff I canít even think of with the drive train.

Not to mention mods to brakes and suspension cause if your going to add considerable amount of power and not upgrade that as well, I recommend budgeting for a five point and a roll cage. I got a handful of stories like this I can tell ya about almost every moded car I know of. You can spend $8k now or $12-$15k (try to put a number on what I just wrote: drivetrain, brakes, suspension) tomorrow. Making power is easy. Making RELIABLE power you can street is very difficult. And honestly, itís been my experience few people do it better than the factory. Iím not saying donít do it, cause who doesnít want to see forced induction on these things, but donít do it thinking your going to save money. Plus what is three miles per gallon really going to cost you?
Couldn't have said that better myself.
__________________
4 life!
Currently Driving: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #32
stratman
Goldmember
 
stratman's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 CTS-V
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazm View Post
the required upgrades?

turbo kit 4500
I don't know who you got to sell, install and tune a turbo kit with all the trimmings ready to run for $4500 but I think that was a bargain.

Plus you gotta remember this is a brand new car. Aftermarket parts will be more expensive and a little difficult to find until it has been out for a few years. The first moded cars you see will be custom one-offs($$$$$) and aftermarket manufacturer research cars for kits they will eventually sell. Even if stuff exists for the CTS it's not as simple as throw it on the Camaro. I think you talked about waiting until you paid off your car but I think a lot of people looking to do it in the first couple of years are overlooking this.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #33
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,830
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Fast
Cheap
Reliable



pick 2.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.Ē
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #34
stratman
Goldmember
 
stratman's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 CTS-V
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Fast
Cheap
Reliable



pick 2.
Exactly. As my old boss would say about products in general..."You can have it good and cheap but it won't be quick. You can have it good and quick, but it won't be cheap. Or you can have it quick and cheap, but it won't be good." Speed costs. How fast you wanna go?
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.