Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > Middle East

Middle East The Near East

Old 06-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: Black 2SS/RS 2014; JK Wrangler 2011
Phet Cyclone

Guys!

We got this very bad weather news. Cyclone Phet Catgory 4 is heading to the coast of Oman .

يا لطيف اللطف يا رب

We need your prayers!!

This is the 2nd Cyclone to attack our coast after Gonu in 2007 which was classified as a 5th Catgory Cyclone .

God help us.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

ooohhhh my god,

It is expected to become even worse, 5th category .

Bye Bye guys
Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
CamaroFreako
KMK

Drives: Slow V6 Camaro
Hope it passes peacefully with no damage.

be careful
CamaroFreako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Darkone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT/RS SIM
Save ure car! Park it somewhere uphill
I was unaffected by gonu last time..my house is sort of on top of a hill, next to royal hospital..so i just watched all the cars parked downhill drown..had my on to avoid rain water hittin my eyes..the angle was horizontal!
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I hope you guys are okay! Be careful.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
suhailrehman

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2010 1LT Imperial Blue
Man, when I saw "Phet Cyclone" here first I thought it was some new turbo or supercharger...

Our prayers with you guys, be careful, take care of your friends and family first and then make sure your baby (the Camaro) is nice and safe!
suhailrehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
hope it's not too bad.put your car away.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
balagan

Drives: V6 RS SW
I was due to drive to Oman tomorrow for some diving at the Daymaniyat Islands. Picked up the new Camaro today and was going to use the trip for breaking it in.

Unfortunately all cancelled now. Keep safe and lets hope it keeps heading North East away from Oman.
balagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Best wishes guys, stay safe.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
HANG IN THERE MY MIDDLE EASTERN CAMARO BROTHER!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 2SS/RS CGM #75,288
Stay safe fellow "cyber gray". Keep us posted..
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
VetteMaro

Drives: 09 Jeep Wrangler
Well it looks like the cyclone has turned into a storm after impact with the mainland. Alhamdillah it's just some HEAVY rain and moderate wind right now
VetteMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMaro View Post
Well it looks like the cyclone has turned into a storm after impact with the mainland. Alhamdillah it's just some HEAVY rain and moderate wind right now
VetteMaro, with all my respect but I never trust the media at all !!

16 people were killed (so far and still more to come!!) because they were told that the cyclone has degraded from category 3 to 1 and everybody left their homes to enjoy the nice weather .

The Cyclone has struck the eastern coast in full force and since it was 600KM wide, even a young maths student can calculate the area that it will cover and it will hit the Capital City for sure .

The rain and wind on my place was much more heavy and stronger than the last cyclone in 2007. My wall was craked and I was lucky to move my Camaro to a high hill before the cyclone (its safe), but my Grand Vitara was damaged from the flying objects .

In matter of 6 hours, I saw around 10 cars drawning one after another in front of me because of the floods and all the people helped the police men to pull them out. I'm talking about my neighbourhood only not about a high way.

I will leave you with some photos here, so you can see what kind of damage :

Last edited by Cyber Gray; 12-08-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Cyber Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #14
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Death Toll has increased to 24 now , and you are telling me to believe the media (SCREW THEM), I only believe my eyes.

All the weather radars have shown that it is a Category 3 Cyclone except ours. They told us that it is a strom in the Arabian sea heading to India and I'm lucky to work in the port as our radar showed that it is coming in full force to us directly.

I moved my car and ran to the market to buy food and water and I remained at home for 48hrs. Others didnt really have this space of time and was taken by sudden.

I rather believe astrologers than our media.

More photos to come (poor Mazda Agent)

Old 06-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by balagan View Post
I was due to drive to Oman tomorrow for some diving at the Daymaniyat Islands. Picked up the new Camaro today and was going to use the trip for breaking it in.

Unfortunately all cancelled now. Keep safe and lets hope it keeps heading North East away from Oman.
Daymaniyat is my best spot for fishing. Lucky you cancelled your trip. The whole coast is in RAGE and you cant even dip your feet.

My advice from now, stay away from Oman in June. I guess this climate change in the Indian Ocen is really serious guys. 2 major cyclones in 3 years is a place where it was not known as a cyclone path is dam serious.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #16
Darkone

HOLY CRAP!! Man i didn't know it was so bad in other places..the government really needs to get a Storm drain system in place in muscat..the stupid wadi system isn't doing anyone any good..
My area is completely fine..South Ghubra..But Qurum CCC etc. drowned again, as expected.

Anyone know if Al-Araimi underground floor got filled up again?

Great to know u saved your car though, wouldve been a pity if it drowned as well.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:05 AM   #17
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkone View Post
HOLY CRAP!! Man i didn't know it was so bad in other places..the government really needs to get a Storm drain system in place in muscat..the stupid wadi system isn't doing anyone any good..
My area is completely fine..South Ghubra..But Qurum CCC etc. drowned again, as expected.

Anyone know if Al-Araimi underground floor got filled up again?

Great to know u saved your car though, wouldve been a pity if it drowned as well.
Do you mean this place .

I guess the photos answer them, but its still lower than Gonu. During Gonu the Mc Donalds tower was covered.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:58 AM   #18
Darkone

Hmm I guess its a safe bet to say that Al-Araimi underground drowned again. Thats very sad considering it took them around a year to clear the water and rebuild last time.

One of my friends took pics inside all those shops after the water was gone..Nando's water level was clearly marked on the walls, Subway similar situation.
I can't post the pics here, cause the moron has watermarked them lol

P.S I just ate at Nando's on thursday, and now its ruined :(
Old 06-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #19
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Hmm I guess its a safe bet to say that Al-Araimi underground drowned again. Thats very sad considering it took them around a year to clear the water and rebuild last time.

One of my friends took pics inside all those shops after the water was gone..Nando's water level was clearly marked on the walls, Subway similar situation.
I can't post the pics here, cause the moron has watermarked them lol

P.S I just ate at Nando's on thursday, and now its ruined :(
I really hate to see Muscat in this state. I'm really depressed .

But I guess that it is a good lesson for those who doesnt know the difference between a storm and a cyclone.

I guess that Phet was far much tender on us than Gonu (The mother of all cyclones). It was in the power of Katrina in the U.S.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #20
Darkone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
I really hate to see Muscat in this state. I'm really depressed .

But I guess that it is a good lesson for those who doesnt know the difference between a storm and a cyclone.

I guess that Phet was far much tender on us than Gonu (The mother of all cyclones). It was in the power of Katrina in the U.S.
I wonder if his Majesty is going to pay the people affected this time around as well. There has to be a limit to every man's "niceness", but knowing him he probably will

Its gonna suck driving through broken roads. It was very depressing last time as well, and muscat had just recently recovered completely. Some bright person in the ministry/municipality HAS to come up with a good storm drainage system and implement it quick. Next cyclone has already been named apparently - Giri
Old 06-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #21
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
I wonder if his Majesty is going to pay the people affected this time around as well. There has to be a limit to every man's "niceness", but knowing him he probably will

Its gonna suck driving through broken roads. It was very depressing last time as well, and muscat had just recently recovered completely. Some bright person in the ministry/municipality HAS to come up with a good storm drainage system and implement it quick. Next cyclone has already been named apparently - Giri
Well Im sure that all the affected people will be paid. There is no drainage system that can manage cyclones Darkone .

In the U.S they face the same problem each year and many people lose their houses.No one would like to mess around with mother nature

We should take care of our building style and construct better roads and highways.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #22
Darkone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
Well Im sure that all the affected people will be paid. There is no drainage system that can manage cyclones Darkone .

In the U.S they face the same problem each year and many people lose their houses.No one would like to mess around with mother nature

We should take care of our building style and construct better roads and highways.
lol I know there isnt any "cyclone drainage system"!..but muscat gets flooded with any amount of "unusual" rain..because there isnt anywhere for the water to go other than the wadi's that in most places don't drain anywhere, just collect water like huge lakes.

Storm drains for example, the really huge wells, perhaps in an interconnected system. Possibly connected with a good new sewage system. Or something else equally brilliant. It's gonna take years, and cost a f*** lot, but in the end it may help in significantly reducing the amount of damage caused by subsequent cyclones/ heavy rains, which inshallah won't happen..atleast not in our lifetimes.