Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Is it just me...

...or are the mods on here starting to go crazy with the shutting down of threads???
I'm sure this will get closed to and I'll get a warning or ban or something...but IMO its really ruining this site...We are all (most of us atleast) adults here...as long as things dont get crazy out of control we can govern ourselves. Two great recent examples are
1. The global warming thread that ppl were joking and having a good time on
and
2. Scotty's thread that he was saying goodbye on....

IDK i think its alienating people...it is for me at least...dont know how much longer I am willing to stay on a site that has nazi-like mods
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Shardik2SS
How U Doin?

Drives: #21,644
IBTL...no comment
Shardik2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
A favorite classic:

Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
bozbot
Boom goes the dynamite

Drives: '02 civic
Send a message via AIM to bozbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
why is scotty leaving?

bozbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
...or are the mods on here starting to go crazy with the shutting down of threads???
I'm sure this will get closed to and I'll get a warning or ban or something...but IMO its really ruining this site...We are all (most of us atleast) adults here...as long as things dont get crazy out of control we can govern ourselves. Two great recent examples are
1. The global warming thread that ppl were joking and having a good time on
and

IDK i think its alienating people...it is for me at least...dont know how much longer I am willing to stay on a site that has nazi-like mods
All global warming threads are shut down before they get out of hand because they can take a nasty turn very fast.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
hollywoodGU

This just proves my point, people dont even know Scotty is gone because the thread was deleted AND justt because something could go ad its locked? Mustang vs camaro threads go bad 75% of the time but i dont see those getting locked anytime one pops up. That global warming thread was obviously light hearted and no one was getting upset
Old 06-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
bozbot
Boom goes the dynamite

Drives: '02 civic
Send a message via AIM to bozbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk View Post
Scotty left because........if I say Ill get banned.

This thread will disappear too.

Lots of things vanish from this site though.
would you please PM me the reason?

bozbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozbot View Post
would you please PM me the reason?
Would you please PM me when you know?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_Killer View Post
IBTL...no comment
@ SK. You're a whore.

@ the OP. The mods always have a reason for closing or deleting a thread. Whether or not its a good reason can often be largely up to personal opinion, but I've never seen them shut down a thread just to be mean (though they did once play a practical joke on us with PWA).

I won't claim that I've agreed with every decision that the mod team/Tran has made (and sometimes I've flat out thought that a decision was terrible) but they're just trying to do the best that they can to keep this forum a good place to be for as many people as possible.
- X
Old 06-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
OK....

wow, where to begin...

First off... there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that you guys don't see.

Mostly because the stuff that gets deleted is only going to stir the pot and put one group against another. Not because we have some deep dark secret that Camaro5.com is trying to hide.

As a general rule anything that will instigate a fight will get closed. Look at all the Mustang threads that we leave open until it gets ugly then we close it.... it used to happen weekly...

A lot of times when we have a parting of the ways with a member, we choose not to respond as we'd rather not appear to be bashing anyone. obviously we have the upper hand as we can delete and edit anything that gets posted here. so for us to go toe to toe with members in most cases just makes us look bad... So in the end we just close or delete it so the site and our members don't have to deal with the drama that comes with being a site this big.

Some sites hang out the dirty laundry for all to see... we'd rather not do that. We'd rather keep the drama to a minimum so the majority of our members can just enjoy the site and be a part of the community.

I'm not going to comment on Scotty. He and I do not get along nor do we see eye to eye. So it would not be fair for me in particular to comment. I'm biased.

But we did not force him to leave. And he is welcome back should he choose to come back. But like any member he has to play by the same rules as anyone else.

As I said earlier.....

We prefer to keep the bickering and controversial stuff off our boards. Even if it makes us look bad at times. For now it seems to be working.... I don't see us changing the way this site is run any time soon.

And no, I won't close the thread, nor will anyone else, until it becomes disrespectful or argumentative.

FWIW.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'd like to add a further note on CamaroScotty. He claimed that because of the new sponsorship rules, and since his boss says they cannot afford the fees, he would not be able to answer questions and left before he received a permanent ban for violating sponsorship rules. For the record, CamaroScotty is always completely welcome to stick around as an enthusiast just like 99% of the members. But he cannot stay to sell cars, unless he becomes a site sponsor like every other vendor on the site.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
The mods are correct for the most part above -

I really can't be here to help, as some of the questions may work themselves into "business" communications, which I can't have being a non-sponsor. C5 has chosen a paid sponsorship program, fair enough. I have sponsored other sites prior to their invite, and I just can't do more and more. Had it started much earlier when I inquired about it, that may have been different. It it may change in the future.

Yes there are MANY people I respect here (including some MODS), and yes GTAHVIT and I tend not to get along. Perhaps if he met me in person rather than reading the text I type, he might get a different impression - but I won't hold that against him

Don't think of me as gone....think of me as "transparent". I'm easy to find so no one's abandoned....Hopefully this clears up some of the questions so no drama needs to unfold. No need to blame anyone or anything - so for me, let it rest. Go in your Camaro, grab the Sammy Hager CD, play "I can't drive 55"....that's how life SHOULD be lived!

Thanks guys & C5.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
As a former moderator of a different forum (and a large gaming one no less, which is worse then car forums), it's ALWAYS better to close/lock before something gets out of hand. And this is the internet.....it'll always get out of hand. The mods here do a pretty damn good job of A)keeping it in order and B)keeping things where they belong and keeping the forum uncluttered.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I can tell you I've quietly left a forum for real petty stuff. I really hope things don't get to the point where you can't say things like "damn" or "sucks"

In the one case I wrote, I can't keep these corals worth a dämn and had someone edit it. Saying sucks? There are many legit reasons to say "sucks" such as "I need to get my air hose to suck more air" Yet that word was censored.
One of the pet stores who sponsored the forum was called "Moby Dicks" and I am sure you can guess the word that was censored in that. You couldn't even talk about the name of the sponsor without your post being edited. It seemed those that got to be a mod on that board were looking for a reason to ban.

I've seen the mods doing a pretty good job. I also noticed that they don't seem to do double standards. There was once a thread someone started about complaining that Camaro scotty was banned. I am not sure of the circumstances, nor do I need to know. What it did show me was that people weren't getting special treatment.

I also noticed that a question was asked, and us members can talk about vendors who are not sponsors. So I think that is good. We can suggest to a member that they go to Newman Chevrolet, and I don't think that violates any rules.

I've also looked at history of the persons posts when I see account suspended to see what exactly they were suspended for. I really haven't come across any that I think were petty.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I look at it like this.....
Name:  albatross-l-stare.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  17.9 KB
Old 06-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #16
Da Hose
ACCOUNT HOZED BY GN......

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS #26731
And I look at it like THIS!
Attached Images

I'd bet $100 that you smile like that all the time, even in your sleep... and you don't snore when you sleep, you giggle.

Da Hose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #17
Den4176
El Maligno....

Drives: 2ss/rs,'10-E350, E46 328i
Thumbs up

Thank god no nazi-like mods here and all the paranoia got sorted out but............

jk
Old 06-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #18
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hose View Post
And I look at it like THIS!
You just really like using that picture.
- X
Old 06-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
Shardik2SS
How U Doin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
You just really like using that picture.
- X
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Hm.

Can't say anything much better than this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
OK....

wow, where to begin...

First off... there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that you guys don't see.

Mostly because the stuff that gets deleted is only going to stir the pot and put one group against another. Not because we have some deep dark secret that Camaro5.com is trying to hide.

As a general rule anything that will instigate a fight will get closed. Look at all the Mustang threads that we leave open until it gets ugly then we close it.... it used to happen weekly...

A lot of times when we have a parting of the ways with a member, we choose not to respond as we'd rather not appear to be bashing anyone. obviously we have the upper hand as we can delete and edit anything that gets posted here. so for us to go toe to toe with members in most cases just makes us look bad... So in the end we just close or delete it so the site and our members don't have to deal with the drama that comes with being a site this big.

Some sites hang out the dirty laundry for all to see... we'd rather not do that. We'd rather keep the drama to a minimum so the majority of our members can just enjoy the site and be a part of the community.

I'm not going to comment on Scotty. He and I do not get along nor do we see eye to eye. So it would not be fair for me in particular to comment. I'm biased.

But we did not force him to leave. And he is welcome back should he choose to come back. But like any member he has to play by the same rules as anyone else.

As I said earlier.....

We prefer to keep the bickering and controversial stuff off our boards. Even if it makes us look bad at times. For now it seems to be working.... I don't see us changing the way this site is run any time soon.

And no, I won't close the thread, nor will anyone else, until it becomes disrespectful or argumentative.

FWIW.
I WILL add, however...it's impossible to please everyone. We make decisions based on past experiences on this site, and the intent to maintain a fun, clean place for as many people as possible to enjoy. If that makes you uncomfortable, I am terribly sorry -- but it's worked so far, and like Gtahvit, I don't see it changing.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
OK....

wow, where to begin...

As I said earlier.....

FWIW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Hm.

Can't say anything much better than this:

I WILL add, however...it's impossible to please everyone. We make decisions based on past experiences on this site, and the intent to maintain a fun, clean place for as many people as possible to enjoy. If that makes you uncomfortable, I am terribly sorry -- but it's worked so far, and like Gtahvit, I don't see it changing.
Man you two always beat me to the punch...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #22
Shardik2SS
How U Doin?

It's like X said earlier, I don't agree with the way the mods handle everything but for the most part I feel they act unbiasedly and do what they feel is right for the betterment of this site. We may not always like what they do (merging posts ) but it's their job to monitor the threads and make judgement calls. Personally I wish they'd shut down half of the Mustang/Camaro threads faster than they do because it usually goes sour due to Mustang trolls fishing for trouble or some of our own members acting like asses. I didn't like the fact that Scotty's thread was deleted because I saw it as a slap in the face to him but I can see why it was done after reading the above explanation. Overall, this is a great site and I'm happy to be a part of it.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #23
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Aw, [edit] they let me say all kinds of [edit] [edit] and no mod ever says a [edit] word about it! C5 ROCKS "headbang:

I was here.....

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"

Last edited by Milk 1027; 06-04-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: lol.....
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:32 AM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
You know...I'm actually happy this came up.

First, other mods...great points and really well put.

But, I wanted to add this (and it's SO perfect timing). I got this two days ago before this thread popped up. I AM going to edit who it was from, though. This IS a private message, but I want to share (without naming the person) so you can all see some of the comments we get.

Quote:
I find on many sites that the folks that bitch the loudest are the ones who fail to realize these are FREE sites. We all gain things from these types of forums...if poeple don't like it, they can go to another forum. I don't think you owe an explaination to anyone, I dig the site and think it's probably the most prefessionally run on line forum I've been to.

Again, thanks for the work bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT
Quote:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=83015&page=2

I thought this thread was out-effing-standing. Very well put, I belong to several on line forums and I don't think I have witnessed a more professional approach to a thread than this.

Thanks for the work man...and keeping this a fun and enjoyable site.

EDITED NAME

Thanks, EDITED.

We try to keep a lid on a lot behind the scenes stuff over here. Buuuuuuut, every once in a while, we have to kind of explain. If not, people hate...and they think they know why...but in actuality, haven't a clue. So, I let out just enough for people to understand.

There's a TON that people don't know about...a TON. Dude...if you knew the real info behind ................. a lot of other stuff. There's a lot of people that don't like us very much right now. But, they don't have the full story. And, the reason they don't is because we don't like to go into detail regarding certain things. We take the higher road and just try to let things pass.

Man, there is one issue I want to tackle right now....

Thanks for your comments. We really try. We work FOR the people and take so much into account. So, to get a comment like that from you,... I appreciate it. Most folks would rather be pissy and complain. So, thanks.

Doug

We ARE here for the members first. Not everyone is going to agree with what we do. We know that. We've been LIVING with that. Shoot...we tried politics...and you know what? When it was said it wouldn't last, we STILL tried it thinking everyone would be mature about it and be able to hold a polite conversation. Well, it only took a couple rotten apples to spoil it for the bunch. We got rid of the politics on the site.

Cussing? Well, while we don't necessarily WANT cussing, some words are so "normal," that we might tend to think it really doesn't matter. Yet, yes...there ARE some words that will be taken out. No, "sucks" isn't one of them...and if you are specifically talking about a book/movie called, "Moby Dick," then no...it won't get edited. Those sounds like a site "filter" which when someone types in the filter screen words, no one will ever get to type them or read them.

To sum it up (as I'm getting really sleepy), we don't do anything on purpose to tick people off. We don't like having to close threads....but we do. We don't like having to edit, but we do. We don't like to remind people they have to follow the rules, but THEY DO. RULES ARE PUT IN PLACE FOR YOU! THE MEMBERS. Those that don't want to follow the rules are shown the door...regardless of who you are, how much money you make, how "big you are" on the site, etc.

This place IS my 2nd home. I've been here for quite some time. I personally won't let anything happen to it. And, luckily we have a great team of 12 other mods that care that much about it too!

I have more to say...but really, I'm falling asleep....talk tomorrow!

G'night!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #25
hollywoodGU

Yea, i never said anything about bias or anything like that. The mods are fair IMO no one gets special treatment...even the ppl here from Day 1. All I am saying is it seems to me like threads are getting closed faster and faster. And IMO if a thread gets out of hand they have every right to close it. The problem I have is when a thread "could" get out of control so it is banned. IDK...kinda ruins the experience for me a little bit. Feel like i am walking on egg shells at time. That being said I have been here since the very begining (not as a member at first, but as a lurker) and I hope this little issue doesnt get too crazy to push ppl like me away...thats just my 2 cents tho....

I hope nothing has been taken the wrong way, I just was expressing my point of view. Not trying to bash on anyone or the site.