Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #967
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,718
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
That's what I'm going to try and do, though I'll be dropping to 18s. I guess we'll see how big that difference is and see what we can deduce.
If I had to guess, I'd say you'll see a 30 hp difference.

Once you pass up 20 inches it gets worse. 18 to 20 may not be so bad. I'm guessing 30.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #968
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE
 
Dr Jkel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oxford, Alabama
Posts: 4,441
Ok I am not trying to be a smart A** just trying to learn something here. I stolt some idearrs from Em and PQ with the PFadt suspension, sways, swings and trailing arms, I love them. I also have 22's well you know what kind. They are supposedly the same diameter as the stock wheels only wider in the rear, same height etc... not real sure about the weight.

PQ, Em and I have the same wheels, same brand, size etc just different styles.
I have an LS3 they have L99's we all have CAI, Header etc... they have Maggies I have a cam. But the difference is we have a wide variety of numbers in the dyno, A BIG difference Em has basically 37 more than me and 29 more than Randy.

Ok now I don't know alot but if the wheel is the same diameter, same size then what difference does it make? Wont the revolutions be the same no matter what? Maybe I am looking at it wrong.

I guess by what you are saying if my thinking is correct, if I put my stock wheels back on and go back to the Dyno I should increase my dyno numbers almost 20HP? Am I correct? So I should make around 483 with just the cam?

What is this sprung and unsprung weight you talk about Chris?
__________________
MUSTANG...Like Bringing a Hot Dog to a Steak Dinner....There is no comparison.

Last edited by Dr Jkel; 01-27-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #969
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
...Wont the revolutions be the same no matter what?...
Here's a quote from Tony in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
It isn't simply about total static weight. While that may be a factor, it is more about Moment Of Inertia. MOI is dependent on that static weight, but also the relative distance from the center of the wheel, to the location where most of that weight is. The further from the center that the weight is situated on a spinning object, the more effort it takes to spin or accelerate the object.

Generally, a 22" wheel will have a greater distance from center where its weight is situated, compared with a 20" wheel. Even if both wheels weigh exactly the same amount, it is likely the 22" wheel will take more effort to accelerate (and decelerate).

Think of a figure skater on ice. When they have their leg sticking out, they turn very slowly. When they bring their leg in closer, and stand straight up, they spin very fast. Even though both cases, the weigh the same amount.

The best performance will be found with lower diameter wheels, which have more of their weight centered around the hub area, not the outer lip area. The worst performance wheels will usually be the heavier cast aluminum wheels, since they have thicker hoops than a forged wheel does. Cast wheels also have thicker spokes, since their material cannot handle the stresses as well as a forged wheel does. This is the main reason that forged wheels are better for performance.

Hope that helps

Tony
__________________
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #970
WadeWilson
How U Doin?
 
WadeWilson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Sky Redline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Californication
Posts: 24,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Ok I am not trying to be a smart A** just trying to learn something here. I stolt some idearrs from Em and PQ with the PFadt suspension, sways, swings and trailing arms, I love them. I also have 22's well you know what kind. They are supposedly the same diameter as the stock wheels only wider in the rear, same height etc... not real sure about the weight.

PQ, Em and I have the same wheels, same brand, size etc just different styles.
I have an LS3 they have L99's we all have CAI, Header etc... they have Maggies I have a cam. But the difference is we have a wide variety of numbers in the dyno, A BIG difference Em has basically 37 more than me and 29 more than Randy.

Ok now I don't know alot but if the wheel is the same diameter, same size then what difference does it make? Wont the revolutions be the same no matter what? Maybe I am looking at it wrong.

I guess by what you are saying if my thinking is correct, if I put my stock wheels back on and go back to the Dyno I should increase my dyno numbers almost 20HP? Am I correct? So I should make around 483 with just the cam?

What is this sprung and unsprung weight you talk about Chris?
Reducing your rotating mass can make a noticeable difference. I shaved 40lbs of rotating mass from my Camaro by going with the TSW wheels over stock and swapping my rotors out for lighter aftermarket ones.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #971
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,718
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
My wheels were already rotating to 4th gear when he dynoed it. I'd have thought it woldnt' be so much loss.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #972
Da Hose
ACCOUNT HOZED BY GN......
 
Da Hose's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS #26731
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 5,879
OH COME ON..... you didn't really think you were gonna get out of this untouched did you?????



I'M N UR BUILDZ THREADZ....POSTIN MY PICZ!!!!!!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Hose,

I'd bet $100 that you smile like that all the time, even in your sleep... and you don't snore when you sleep, you giggle.

Da Hose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #973
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 27,699
Here's the original front plate pic...
Attached Images
 
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #974
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,718
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
That just means you're lame. Nobody comes here any more. lol
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #975
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,718
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Oh shit.

Chris startred it.

LMSAO
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #976
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,496
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #977
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,718
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Hey, this is a serious thread for a serious build. I'm breaking new ground here. Going where no Hobbit has gone before.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #978
Da Hose
ACCOUNT HOZED BY GN......
 
Da Hose's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS #26731
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 5,879
yeah, we know Randy...there is gonna be a race!!!!!


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Hose,

I'd bet $100 that you smile like that all the time, even in your sleep... and you don't snore when you sleep, you giggle.

Da Hose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #979
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,718
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #980
WadeWilson
How U Doin?
 
WadeWilson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Sky Redline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Californication
Posts: 24,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Hey, this is a serious thread for a serious build. I'm breaking new ground here. Going where no Hobbit has gone before.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hose View Post
yeah, we know Randy...there is gonna be a race!!!!!


WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
camaro of the week, the circle

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM unveils Jay Leno Camaro, Camaro Synergy, Camaro Chroma, Camaro Dusk at SEMA irocnroll 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 101 02-27-2012 12:25 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM
The DEFINITIVE EXPLANATION OF CAMARO SUSPENSION, ISSUES, AND UPGRADES Info@PeddersUSA.com Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 106 10-19-2009 06:08 PM
Ambient lighting (ABL) - the FINAL update = LIMITED TO DOOR PANELS CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 338 04-15-2009 05:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.