Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
bozbot
Boom goes the dynamite

Drives: '02 civic
Send a message via AIM to bozbot
baby on the way...

for those of you who thought this was a thread about me having just ordered my camaro or having it delivered soon, sorry to disappoint.

I am soon going to be a dad. now you may ask why am i posting it in the camaro section as opposed to the off topic section...simple. I am looking to see if there are any people with a baby out there who own only a camaro for their daily driver (sorry but families with two cars dont really help my situation)

if so, is it a good car to have with a baby/kid? my gut says no since it is a "sports car" but part of me feels that is just my mother talking. the other part of me is saying I am trying to justify buying the sports car and I should be getting something more..."Responsible"

thoughts?

edit - and if not, what would be a good car?

bozbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Inferno Man

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS 2010
Sorry to say this but the safer/smarter thing would be an Honda Odyssey Van. JMHO.......worked great for us for over 10 years and counting......

2000 4/21/2010
3000 4/28/2010 TPW 5/10/2010
3300 5/5/2010
3400 5/10/2010
3800 5/11/2010
HOME 5/28/2010!!!!!
Inferno Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
congrats! 25 minutes late... but Happy Father's Day!

I've seen pics of car seats in the new Camaro, so I would assume its do-able. The Camaro is a very safe modern vehicle, so I would not think twice about it. Plus.... dont you want the Camaro to be the first piece of automotive metal in your child's memories??? Perfect way to break in a new baby gearhead!! Goodluck in whatever you decide!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 13 SRX Premium 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Methinks you might need a 94-96 or 05-09 Impala SS. Four doors can be fast!
Not that the Camaro is awful, but the two door deal gets old fast...
Old 06-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
theoneriggs

Drives: 10 Challenger R/T
Personally the car seat in and out of the car...i have visions of paint scratches etc. I mean a booster seat is one thing, but a full on newborn car seat would be interesting to say the least. Personally if you still wanted some power id say look for a pontiac g8 or a dodge charger. Both nice 4 door cars with some giddy-up. Good luck on the search and grats on the baby!
theoneriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
the car is pretty big. i would go with it. as long as you do not have to deal with snow

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
G8 GT would be perfect for you.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
SSIN

Drives: 2SS/RS Jewel Coat
Im doing it and its no big deal. Kids are small and flexable.
SSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #9
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
The room in the Camaro is fine for the new born. And congrats on being a soon-to-be dad!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
I don't have any kids, but I did want to congratulate you on your upcoming bundle of joy!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #11
G10
GForce

Drives: 2010 Honolulu Blue 2LT M6
Congrats bud... I just found out a week ago im gonn be a dad too! Id only had my car five days at that point. Im glad i got it before i found out or i might have had to give up on it.
G10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:27 AM   #12
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
Congrats bud... I just found out a week ago im gonn be a dad too! Id only had my car five days at that point. Im glad i got it before i found out or i might have had to give up on it.
Hey, Congratulations to you too!!!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
Old 06-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #13
VR Code R6P

Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
From experience, I would go with some kind of vehicle like a van, that you can get a car seat in EASILY without having to stoop over. You will not like any other choice if you have to bend over with a car seat loaded with an infant, and then have to strap in. When they get a little older, it's better, but still a lot of work. When our children were small, we had Aerostars. Just my 2 cents.
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 AM   #14
G10
GForce

Drives: 2010 Honolulu Blue 2LT M6
Thx Scattergun!
G10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:11 AM   #15
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
Thx Scattergun!
You're more than welcome, Sir!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #16
dmiller66
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '13 2SS/RS, Blue Ray Metallic, Auto
I dont have any kids that I know of but if I did, I'd prob invest in a 4 door Camaro. It's just easier to get things in and out with the extra doors...
dmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #17
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Why wouldn't you buy it? When I have kids my toys aren't going to go anywhere. My kid is also not going to be going in it either until they are old enough not to make a mess. The other cars are for them and the family.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #18
PUNISHER

Drives: 2SS/M6 IBM CGM Stripes
It's gonna be tight....

with a baby-securing device facing backward in the back seat. I carry my 5-year old in a car seat in the back and it makes for a tight fit for the passenger, if any, in the right seat. Do-able but you may tire of the contortions involved to get him/her in and out.

TIme to go further in debt and get a CUV or SUV. NO MINIVAN!!
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #19
PonyKiller74

Drives: 2012 Triple Black ZL1 M6
Send a message via AIM to PonyKiller74 Send a message via Yahoo to PonyKiller74
Camaro back seat = no room for grown-up....
Camaro back seat for infant = perfect

Just like any other vehicle on the road with a baby on board wether a sports car or a mini van, it's how you drive it.

Congrats on making a family and becoming a dad. I look forward to the day I have my own child. I could only imagine the love and joy that will come.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #20
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Hey congratz on the news!

My fiance and I are going to start trying for a baby sometime in the next 12 months or so!

I've never personally tried it, but as others have said, I'm pretty sure you can get a car seat in the back. I mean, why would they have put LATCH in the back if you couldn't get a car seat in there?

I'm just glad my fiance has a 4 door.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #21
bozbot
Boom goes the dynamite

Drives: '02 civic
Send a message via AIM to bozbot
thanks everyone for the congrats!

Congrats to G10 as well.

my biggest concern is that this will be my only car. my mother is telling me that I am going to be needing more room than I think to transport a baby, and everything that goes with it, around. I appreciate all the advice my mother (and family and friends) are willing to give, however this situation is a little different. Unfortunately things did not work out with the baby's mother and myself, so I will be a single Dad. Due to that fact I assume (not really sure here) that I will not have the baby in my possession during the first month or so.

again, thanks for all the advise. it is much appreciated.

bozbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #22
rudack
Rudack

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to rudack Send a message via MSN to rudack
I use 2 cars. 1 for fun and 1 for the kid. I can't imagine fitting the wife and all the crap that is needed with our son in my Camaro. IMO Get a LARGE car if you can only have 1.
ABM 2SS/RS #33390

Last edited by rudack; 06-21-2010 at 12:32 PM.
rudack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #23
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Methinks you might need a 94-96 or 05-09 Impala SS. Four doors can be fast!
Not that the Camaro is awful, but the two door deal gets old fast...
You should put much thought into accessibility with regards to car seats. It isn't bad, at first, when you are using the two-piece carrier/base setup. In this configuration, you strap the baby into the carrier while it's out of the vehicle and just snap the carrier into position on the base. When he/she gets old enough to require a regular car seat, that's where access becomes paramount. My wife has a 4-door Saab 9.3 with the car seat in the middle position. After loading my son, who's almost 2, into that seat a couple of times a day, we are left wanting more space and accessibility...and that's from a sedan. I can't imagine doing it every day in the confines of the Camaro's back seat. However, it certainly isn't a no-brainer and would require a serious amount of consideration. If it meant Camaro vs. no Camaro, I'd be prepared to put up with quite a bit of inconvenience.

Safety wise, I wouldn't worry a bit about this car. From the pictures I've seen of Camaro crashes, I'd say it would hold its own in a crash.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #24
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
You will need to have the carseat rear-facing until the kid is at least 30lbs ideally.... My Camaro has two boosters in it and its even tight for my 5 & 6 year olds. A rear-facer means VERY limited room for the passenger since the car seat will HAVE to be on that side. Also, putting a newborn/baby in a rear-facer is WAY harder in a car like a Camaro than putting one in forward facing. Also, you will need to be REAL careful on windy days that the door doesnt smash your shins against the car (been there, done that OUCH) as you are strapping the littleone in...

From ALOT of experience with 5 kids in 4.5 years and going through ALOT of vehicles (Ford Explorer Sport, G35 Coupe, 350Z, Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Suburban, and finally a fullsize Chevy Conversion Van) I can tell you that the Camaro is do-able with kids ages 3+ in a booster. Barely. But, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a beater mini-van for doing the kid transporting!

Oh, and CONGRATS on being a dad!
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #25
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozbot View Post
for those of you who thought this was a thread about me having just ordered my camaro or having it delivered soon, sorry to disappoint.

I am soon going to be a dad. now you may ask why am i posting it in the camaro section as opposed to the off topic section...simple. I am looking to see if there are any people with a baby out there who own only a camaro for their daily driver (sorry but families with two cars dont really help my situation)

if so, is it a good car to have with a baby/kid? my gut says no since it is a "sports car" but part of me feels that is just my mother talking. the other part of me is saying I am trying to justify buying the sports car and I should be getting something more..."Responsible"

thoughts?

edit - and if not, what would be a good car?
Perfectly fine...We've owned Corvettes, Camaros, a TBSS, a Typhoon, and a few non-memorable "practical" cars while raising our kids. The only issue is that you may experience is the fit of the car seat in the back. I haven't asked my brother how that is working for him...if I talk to him in the next couple of days I'll let you know. They have a one year old and a 10 year old.

I'd also make sure the wife is ok with getting the baby in and out of the back...That was a reason my brother sold a two-door grand prix when they had their first child.

Don't feel like you have to go buy a family truckster just because you have children. Get what you enjoy and what works for your family.

edit - and if not, what would be a good car?[/QUOTE]
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote