Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
AParker

Drives: Silver SS ordered!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The goal was 80-100k cars a year. Then gas prices spiked. When gas prices started to come down, credit evaporated. But GM is doing better than the other automakers right now and everything says that the Camaro should be better than the competition. I'd say that GM will be closer (as a %) to their sales goal than Dodge will be with the Challenger.
woah that's a lot of cars to sell in this economy! I got faith tho this is one of the best value performance cars available right now. Heres to the economy picking up later this year so GM can reach the target soon
AParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfret7 View Post
Who really cares if the car sticks around.. As long as you get your 2010 or 2011 camaro. It should be all good. It would be better if they ended the production, because you will have a collector's item. Ha
I care.... I would like for the General to make money and survive. I may need new parts and warranty work in the future.

My gut tells me that the Camaro will make money for the General because:

1. It is much better looking than either the 02 Camaro or any Mustang;
2. The remarkable OHC V-6 for the low 20's, and
3. The bargain basement SS for low to mid 30's if you stay on a diet from some of the overpriced wheels and other options- no other car offers that much bang for that low a price, including Mustang or Challenger.

And no collector car for at least 30 years! I don't plan to keep it that long. All these cars will depreciate.

Regarding the GTO, it failed BECAUSE it looked like a Grand Am. Ugly (or ordinary) doesn't sell, unless you are shopping for a minivan. Just ask Jaguar, who have been using good looks to sell POS cars for years. Even the biggest Mopar and Ford fanatics couldn't honestly call the new Camaro ugly or ordinary looking.
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AParker View Post
woah that's a lot of cars to sell in this economy! I got faith tho this is one of the best value performance cars available right now. Heres to the economy picking up later this year so GM can reach the target soon
Like I said, that was the goal. I will be very surprised if they sell more than 70 000 for 2010 now, given the market. But there are 10 000+ on order right now and the 2010 MY will have a run of 20 months to add up sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfan View Post
Regarding the GTO, it failed BECAUSE it looked like a Grand Am. Ugly (or ordinary) doesn't sell, unless you are shopping for a minivan. Just ask Jaguar, who have been using good looks to sell POS cars for years. Even the biggest Mopar and Ford fanatics couldn't honestly call the new Camaro ugly or ordinary looking.
I won't dispute that it looked ordinary, but the Grand Am was the most styled Pontiac car at the time. The G5, G6, GTO, and to a lesser extent the Grand Prix, were all blobs with a split grill.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #29
Kelster

Drives: Many
And don't forget all the white, V6 automatic Camaros GM plans on selling to rental car fleets. Those should boost the numbers. This generation has a proper trunk so I'm sure it will sell better than gen IV.

Ayn Rand
Kelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Where did you hear they where gonna sell white Camaro's to fleet sales? I must of missed that (linkage pls).
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Where did you hear they where gonna sell white Camaro's to fleet sales? I must of missed that (linkage pls).
Probably just a guess since the stereotype for a rental car is white.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #32
InventoryGuy

Drives: Tundra
The real issue isn't the car or the economy. It is faith in domestic products right now. It is a good boost to the imports since so many normal domestic buyers are at least looking at imports when they would never have thought about it before.

When customers start feeling better about the quality of domestic products then you will see a large surge back to domestics. Not saying either is better but the car business is all about perception, and perception is reality.

Getting confidence back (in large numbers) is the only way GM will hit their Camaro objective. If they did a good job making the Camaro "feel" solid and not turn into a squeaking machine after 10 months (Vette as an example, the C6 is much more solid than the C5), you will see much better numbers for the 2011.

Just my 2 cents.
InventoryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote