Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
matt1214

Drives: Camaro
Best Dealer in Arizona

I want to order a Camaro and I am in Phoenix. Does anybody have a dealer they highly recommend? I don't want to deal with crappy dealers and salespeople.
Thanks
matt1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
ajp
Imperial Blue Steel

Drives: Camaro 2010 2SS/RS
Avoid Van Chevy on Scottsdale.

I bought from Superstition Springs in Mesa. John Scarminach was very good and the whole team kept me informed during the loooooooooooong 3 months it took from order to delivery.
ajp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Get it out of state and have it delivered to a dealer in the state.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Loud Pedal

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black on black
I bought mine and 2 other corvettes in the past fromt the fleet manager at Chapman Chevrolet. His name is Syed and he always has made the process totally painless. None of the BS you have to go through with the retail guys.
Loud Pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Unique Auto Depot

Drives: Camaro 2010
BROWN AND BROWN CHEVY ASK FOR DOUG BONAM IN FLEET DEPT
Unique Auto Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
FrankN

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Just placed my order last week for a 2011 2SS so have gotten to know the dealers in this region better than I'd like to!

Agree with AJP: stay far far away from Van in Scottsdale. Same goes for Midway in Phoenix and Freeway in Chandler.

It came down to Thorobred Chevrolet in Chandler and Henry Brown in Casa Grande. I ended up going with Henry Brown despite the drive and slightly higher sales tax (9.6% now, yikes!) The price was excellent and Jacob Berry has been nothing but professional.

Last edited by FrankN; 06-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.
FrankN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
GMI'76

Drives: 10 Camaro 1LT, 02 Avalanche
Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale can be hot or cold. I worked with Bob Mooney in Fleet Sales and he was top notch. Ordered my 1LT in Oct09, I got supplier+Pontiac Loyalty+GM Card points for a swinging deal. Before Bob, I talked briefly with a retail sales guy and that wasn't good. See Bob and I know you will get the straight scoop and I think you can get a really good deal.
3000 Order Accepted by Production Control (1/7/10) TPW (2/1/10)
3400 Order Broadcast (Being built) (1/27/10)
3800 Order Produced (Built and has VIN) (2/2/10)
4000 Available to ship (2/2/10)
4200 Shipped to Dealer (2/2/10)
5000 Delivered to Dealer (2/16/10)
6000 Delivered to Customer (2/22/10)
GMI'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
ajp
Imperial Blue Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMI'76 View Post
Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale can be hot or cold. I worked with Bob Mooney in Fleet Sales and he was top notch. Ordered my 1LT in Oct09, I got supplier+Pontiac Loyalty+GM Card points for a swinging deal. Before Bob, I talked briefly with a retail sales guy and that wasn't good. See Bob and I know you will get the straight scoop and I think you can get a really good deal.
Replied to your PM, but thought I would respond here for everyone else.

Back in July 2009 Brock@Van told me a $1500 price increase was coming and to order ASAP. Stay AWAY!!!

I was also told GFX w/paint cost was $3200.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
matt1214

Drives: Camaro
What is the reason that you suggest going out of state? I will still have to pay the tax when i register, correct?
matt1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
thedonkeyslayer

Drives: XK 4x4 Ordered '11 2SS/RS SW LS3
Whatever you do, DO NOT go to Midway Chevy - horrible
thedonkeyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
ajp
Imperial Blue Steel

Back in June/July 2009. Superstition Springs was the only dealer offering GM supplier. Here is a breakdown of my own ranking based on my own experience from back then...

1) Superstition Springs
2) Sands Chevy - offered GM supplier at one time, but had recalled the offer when I was ready to order.
3) Autonation Arrowhead - MSRP
4) Courtesy Chevy - MSRP

5) Van Chevy - $1500 price increase coming (above thread) - Avoid
5) Chapman Chevy - Over MSRP, wouldnt say how much - avoid
5) Midway - Steve Tucker - no clue - after giving me some questionable 'facts', told me he would check with his manager, never heard from him again. - avoid

I know it is often hit or miss with dealerships, but all the sales guys take direction from management. Bad management = bad practices.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
I live right by Midway, and i havn't cared for them. I actually got a call from a salesman who left there and went to Van and left a message saying he was sorry about Midway calling and harassing people, and please come see him at Van. The one time i went to Van the newspaper claimed they had 9 Camaro's, and when i got there they had one that was already sold, and in the showroom. What's the deal with Van? They dishonest?
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
I got mine from Brown & Brown through fleet.
05/12/2010 - (2500) Order preferenced
05/20/2010 - (3000) Order accepted by production control - TPW 06/07/2010
05/26/2010 - (3300) Order scheduled for production
06/02/2010 - (3400) Order broadcast
06/08/2010 - (3800) Order Produced VIN # 101388
06/10/2010 - (4000) Available to ship from Osh
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
FrankN

More on AZ dealers - Part 1

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but to address the poster's original question, I wanted to give an update on my experience ordering a 2011 Camaro with some Arizona dealers. I will try to be as factual and objective as possible, so that you can form your own opinion and act accordingly...

After a number of inquiries, I ordered a 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS through Henry Brown Chevrolet in Casa Grande. I live in the southeast valley, and there are a number of other dealers closer. However, HB's pricing through TrueCar.com was very good ($100 below invoice). In addition, the salesman I worked with was very persistent but in a polite and professional way. So we agreed a price at several hundred under invoice with no dealer add-ons, and I made the drive down to place a deposit and order. He informed me that I should take delivery of the vehicle in 4-6 weeks.

The car sat at 1100 for almost a month. I know that this is not entirely unusual, but it is clear that certain orders will move faster or slower through the system depending on dealer allocation. Since this particular dealer is in a rather remote location, they have very little volume and therefore low allocation from GM. This order finally moved to status 2500 late this past week. Meanwhile, others on Camaro5 who ordered after me who already have a TPW date :(

Though 2011 pricing had been leaked well before my order, official GM pricing was not yet available. Until this was officially released, the dealer was reluctant to give me an exact dollar figure. Even when pricing showed up on Edmunds and then KBB, the dealer would not commit to a number. I finally received a number on paper this past week -- while the initial price off of invoice was what we agreed upon, the dealer quietly added a $799 aftermarket package that included paint protection, tint and VIN etching.

While pricing was ok (basically $500 over invoice), it was not the deal that was originally agreed upon. So I emailed my salesman late one evening, no response. Late in the afternoon of the following day, I called the dealer and am told twice that salesman was on the phone with another customer. So then I end up speaking to his internet director, Dennis Segatto.

Though I was mildly unhappy at this point, I was willing to be flexible to keep the order going and asked him to remove the paint and VIN. Even though the tint was overpriced, I was willing to pay for it as it was something I need in Arizona.

Dennis informed me that it was not possible to remove the package given the pricing he had given me. He then told me that I had to speak to a general sales manager to have the package removed. When I asked to speak to the GSM, he then told me that they could remove the add-ons, but then they'd have to increase the base sales price of the vehicle, so I'd be paying the same amount whether I'd take the aftermarket items or not. I informed him that his deal was now higher than his competitors due to the higher price, higher tax rate and slightly higher doc fee. Dennis then told me that his competitors in the Phoenix area all charge $2000+ for the same package, and his prices were more reasonable. I informed Dennis that I will definitely be purchasing a Camaro, but I'd have to reconsider doing business with his organization.

That evening, I cancelled my order with Henry Brown Chevrolet via email, phone and US mail. My salesman refunded my $1000 deposit later the next afternoon.

Last edited by FrankN; 07-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
FrankN

More on AZ dealers - Part 2

So all is not bleak as it may seem in my previous post

When I was shopping around, it basically came down to the dealer mentioned above and Thorobred Chevrolet in Chandler. I had initially negotiated with Rick Ashe, so when I decided to cancel my order with Henry Brown, I called him up and asked if he'd be willing to price match my deal. He agreed without hesitation, and scheduled an appointment the next day with Adam Ford to place my order.

Needless to say, I was hesitant and skeptical based off my prior experience, but my experience was like night and day.

I sat down Adam and the owner John Simonson in a back office. Apparently John is involved in any vehicle orders from the factory be it a Camaro, Corvette, etc. John logged into GM's system and proceeded to build my order right in front of me. John explained all of the options as we went through, nuances of the vehicle, technical issues that he had encountered with the vehicle in the past, etc. He was well-educated and well-informed about his product. At the conclusion of the deal, he gave me a stack of paperwork with all of the relevant order screens and an agreed upon price on paper. Very organized, very professional, very honest.

I told John about my previous experience, and he then showed me a screen that indicated the number of allocation he had from GM. I probably shouldn't say the exact number, but it was clear that he can order double-digit 2011 Camaro's next week alone. He then explained that his philosophy from the start was to not charge over MSRP even though his competitors did. So while other dealers were generating higher margin per unit, he was selling higher volume, now has much higher allocation and happier customers.

And a last tip for anyone looking to purchase: he mentioned that Thorobred is part of the Costco Auto Program which sells at just a few hundred over invoice.

The unfortunate part is I'm now at the back of the line and probably won't take delivery for 8-10 weeks with the plant shut down and all, but as I told John and Adam when I left, I should have gone there in the first place...

Last edited by FrankN; 07-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
PrinzII
Future ZL1 Owner

Drives: 2011 Edge Limited
I am glad I found this piece and may do some "shopping" at Thoroghbred and Chapman.

To the poster who wondered about taxes, AZ only charges taxes if you buy the vehicle from a state that has lower taxes than AZ. Case in point, if you buy the car from Nevada, you will be assessed taxes but if you buy the car from the Chicago area, you will not have to pay additional taxes to register the car in AZ (With a 10% sales tax up there, I'd better not have to pay another tax...lol).

In IL, the situation is drastically different. Regardless of state you purchase the vehicle from, you are going to pay a tax and then another tax if you live in the City of Chicago.
PrinzII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #17
FrankN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinzII View Post
I am glad I found this piece and may do some "shopping" at Thoroghbred and Chapman.
I have no basis to form an opinion about Chapman but would highly recommend Thorobred based off my experience. In less than one week, I went from status 1100 all the way to 3300. My TPW is 7/26 -- just one week after my original order with the "other" dealer.

On a side note, I live about one mile from Freeway but will never go there again for a purchase or even service. I was going to trade my beloved SSR for a 2010 2SS some time ago. I felt like I was back in the 1960's with very old school sales tactics and $#!% customer service.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
KATCMRO

Drives: 2010 2LT CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUDPDL View Post
I bought mine and 2 other corvettes in the past fromt the fleet manager at Chapman Chevrolet. His name is Syed and he always has made the process totally painless. None of the BS you have to go through with the retail guys.
We buy ALL our Chevy's from Syed, he is the BEST (bought my Camaro two weeks ago from him)! Sadly, he left for vacation on Friday and will be out of the country for a few weeks. Linda is taking care of his business while he's gone.
KATCMRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
Black Friday
Purchased on Black Friday

Drives: 2010 Black SS Lingenfelter Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankN View Post
So all is not bleak as it may seem in my previous post

When I was shopping around, it basically came down to the dealer mentioned above and Thorobred Chevrolet in Chandler. I had initially negotiated with Rick Ashe, so when I decided to cancel my order with Henry Brown, I called him up and asked if he'd be willing to price match my deal. He agreed without hesitation, and scheduled an appointment the next day with Adam Ford to place my order.

Needless to say, I was hesitant and skeptical based off my prior experience, but my experience was like night and day.

I sat down Adam and the owner John Simonson in a back office. Apparently John is involved in any vehicle orders from the factory be it a Camaro, Corvette, etc. John logged into GM's system and proceeded to build my order right in front of me. John explained all of the options as we went through, nuances of the vehicle, technical issues that he had encountered with the vehicle in the past, etc. He was well-educated and well-informed about his product. At the conclusion of the deal, he gave me a stack of paperwork with all of the relevant order screens and an agreed upon price on paper. Very organized, very professional, very honest.

I told John about my previous experience, and he then showed me a screen that indicated the number of allocation he had from GM. I probably shouldn't say the exact number, but it was clear that he can order double-digit 2011 Camaro's next week alone. He then explained that his philosophy from the start was to not charge over MSRP even though his competitors did. So while other dealers were generating higher margin per unit, he was selling higher volume, now has much higher allocation and happier customers.

And a last tip for anyone looking to purchase: he mentioned that Thorobred is part of the Costco Auto Program which sells at just a few hundred over invoice.

The unfortunate part is I'm now at the back of the line and probably won't take delivery for 8-10 weeks with the plant shut down and all, but as I told John and Adam when I left, I should have gone there in the first place...

I went through John Simonson last September and couldn't be happier. He was able to push it through when it looked like at the time a long wait was in order. Thumbs up to John and Thorobred.
LPE Twin Fuel Pump
Asanti 22" wheels
Borla Atak catback
Heavy duty half shafts
Hotchkis Track Pack Suspension
Auto Meter Dual Gauge Pod w/ Air/Fuel, Fuel Press.
ADM Boost Gauge
DSV D-Style Custom Steering Wheel

Painted stripes & clear by Piccione Paint
NLP Spoiler
GM GFX (front & sides)
Stainless Steel Roto-Fab CAI

Old 07-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #20
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Hi all,

Just my two cents worth on where to buy a Camaro in Arizona, but I bought my 2011 Camaro from Carl Rispoli at AAA (623-695-8696) in Tempe, and it is being delivered this Friday.

Yes, you have to be a AAA member, $35 to join, but I gave Carl what I wanted to order and he got me a great deal through what ever dealer would give him the best deal. I never had to see the dealer, salesperson or their finance person and you take delivery from Carl at AAA. This was the most painless experience I have had in buying a car. I would give him a try, and see what he can do for you.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #21
Hupperware

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Metallic 1LT
Send a message via AIM to Hupperware Send a message via MSN to Hupperware Send a message via Yahoo to Hupperware Send a message via Skype™ to Hupperware
FYI... Van Tuyl owns Van (duh) and Midway. I actually bought my last two cars from Midway with ZERO hassle.

TrailBlazer SS in 2006 - $100 under invoice
Worked a deal on an SS Camaro, 2SS RS 6MT for ~$37K ended up with what I'm driving (1LT Synergy 6AT) for $28K out the door.

Scott Collins is your man there. Both prices were the first prices he came back with, showed me the invoice and asked if we had a deal. Do not go through the normal channels at a Van company. Always work with the internet people.

In fact, tell Scott I sent you and I'll split the referral fee he sends me.
Hupperware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #22
Amanda
Givin em hell since 87'

Drives: 2011 SW 1SS M6
This thread reminds me of a funny story...

About 10 years ago my step dad bought a new truck (gmc something) from a dealer in Mesa, AZ. He traded in an old Ford pickup with a cap and carpeted bench seats someone built into the bed. A few months later, several police officers showed up at our house to arrest my step dad for helping illegal immigrants across the border. They described the old ford pickup and said it was abandoned in a field near nogales. I guess the driver and illegals were caught nearby. Turns out the dealer (who i believe is not in business anymore) sold the truck for cash, and never tranfered ownership. The vin was still registered to my dad and they had put plates on it from a different truck. shaaaady bussiness. Good thing he had his copies of the paperwork from the sale.
Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote