Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #101
Dom
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 119
I can't believe anyone seriously believes that a Honda will handle better then the Camaro. Even being lighter it's still made for the driver not to spill his Starbucks while driving to Save the Rain Forest rally. Camaro has a suspension that is way more advanced and made for spirited driving.
__________________
2000 Z28 - current daily
1996 Camaro 3.8 - previous daily
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #102
Beau Tie
 
Beau Tie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2007 Camry
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 145
Send a message via AIM to Beau Tie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I can't believe anyone seriously believes that a Honda will handle better then the Camaro. Even being lighter it's still made for the driver not to spill his Starbucks while driving to Save the Rain Forest rally. Camaro has a suspension that is way more advanced and made for spirited driving.



__________________

Last edited by Beau Tie; 10-31-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Beau Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #103
Mblock66
 
Mblock66's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Tie View Post
Thanks for your insight, and thank you for taking the time to respond. As for "Scott", I really wouldn't care if Scott was "Bob Lutz". It still has no bearing on my opinion, feelings, or thoughts on the competitive nature of the 5th generation Camaro. No doubt that "Scott's" knowledge of the Camaro exceeds my knowledge a billion to one. If "Scott" is on the Camaro team, well then, job well done on the new Camaro. One of the best cars to come out of GM in the most recent years (next to the CTS, Malibu, Enclave, C6, and now a host of others).

For the record, I am new to this particular forum (because I am getting a new Camaro), but I am not a "newb" to cars, nor the Camaro specifically. So I don't have any "questions" or "answers" that I need to "search" for.
But that is the thing, it is simply YOUR opinion that you don't think they are market competition. Thats all fine and good that you "like" cars. I do too and know just as much about the availability of what is out there etc etc etc. Being a car freak doesn't mean that you know "for a fact" what is or isn't.

They wouldn't make a high performance enthusiest Altima 3.5 R if it wasn't to compete with the other performance 6's on the market. And the whole import can't compete against domestic b/c they aren't muslce cars is hogwash. You are being WAY too closed minded. If you understood how GM was marketing this car as someone said in a previous post, you would see why these other V6's have targets on them in the eyes of the company BUILDING THE CAR.... GM.

They have stated already they do not even want to be compared to the mustang anymore as they will not try to compete with them on price and the camaro is a more upscale refined machine now etc.....(even though they will never NOT be compared to each other)

So they are looking to broaden the base upon which the camaro is compared. You are letting history get in the way and that is only letting you see the Challenger and the Mustang. The V6 Camaro other then being RWD (which I think the H. Genesis will be also) it is right there with the other performance V6 versions of this market.

You also have to remember that you are a biased "educated" enthusiest. The average joe that wants to get a new car but wants a peppy V6 thats "cool" will look at the accord coupe, altima, genesis, mustang, chally, camaro, etc. Price is just one point of comparison these vehicles are just too similar in many areas and it would be close minded to not see that they are direct competition for each other. And if the camaro steals sales from these other applications doesn't that inherently make it competition lol.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #104
Beau Tie
 
Beau Tie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2007 Camry
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 145
Send a message via AIM to Beau Tie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
But that is the thing, it is simply YOUR opinion that you don't think they are market competition. Thats all fine and good that you "like" cars. I do too and know just as much about the availability of what is out there etc etc etc. Being a car freak doesn't mean that you know "for a fact" what is or isn't.

They wouldn't make a high performance enthusiest Altima 3.5 R if it wasn't to compete with the other performance 6's on the market. And the whole import can't compete against domestic b/c they aren't muslce cars is hogwash. You are being WAY too closed minded. If you understood how GM was marketing this car as someone said in a previous post, you would see why these other V6's have targets on them in the eyes of the company BUILDING THE CAR.... GM.

They have stated already they do not even want to be compared to the mustang anymore as they will not try to compete with them on price and the camaro is a more upscale refined machine now etc.....(even though they will never NOT be compared to each other)

So they are looking to broaden the base upon which the camaro is compared. You are letting history get in the way and that is only letting you see the Challenger and the Mustang. The V6 Camaro other then being RWD (which I think the H. Genesis will be also) it is right there with the other performance V6 versions of this market.

You also have to remember that you are a biased "educated" enthusiest. The average joe that wants to get a new car but wants a peppy V6 thats "cool" will look at the accord coupe, altima, genesis, mustang, chally, camaro, etc. Price is just one point of comparison these vehicles are just too similar in many areas and it would be close minded to not see that they are direct competition for each other. And if the camaro steals sales from these other applications doesn't that inherently make it competition lol.
Well, YOUR opinion is noted as well, and thanks for sharing it. We are all entitled to our opinions. I never stated it was a FACT, so no need for you to spin the topic. My opinion (as well as others that have posted here) differs with your opinion (and others that have posted here). Nothing wrong with that.

(BTW, I agree that the Genesis Coupe will be a competitor).
__________________
Beau Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #105
Mblock66
 
Mblock66's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 313
I have an opinion yes, but I also listen to the company that is marketing the car. And their opinion is fact. They don't just randomly build a car and throw it out there. It is designed with a specific target market to compete in and GM has shown where they have decided to compete. So that kinda matters more then what you and I and everyone else "thinks". Whether you want to beleive it or not, they are competition in GMs eyes. Period
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #106
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
fwiw, this is GM's (Chevy's) slogan/catchphrase for the new Camaro:

"A 21st century sports car"

And they pay careful attention to not call THIS model a muscle car in anything they publish, but they do refer to its muscle-car roots...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #107
Beau Tie
 
Beau Tie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2007 Camry
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 145
Send a message via AIM to Beau Tie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
I have an opinion yes, but I also listen to the company that is marketing the car. And their opinion is fact. They don't just randomly build a car and throw it out there. It is designed with a specific target market to compete in and GM has shown where they have decided to compete. So that kinda matters more then what you and I and everyone else "thinks". Whether you want to beleive it or not, they are competition in GMs eyes. Period
Good for you (and your opinion), and good for GM, I and others disagree. Please accept that and move on.
__________________

Last edited by Beau Tie; 10-31-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Beau Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #108
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Tie View Post
Good for you (and your opinion), and good for GM, I and others disagree. Please accept that and move on. Also, this confuses me:

"And their opinion is fact." How is that possible? How can an opinion be fact?

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/thel...ro_since_1967/

More proof that Chevrolet is aligning this car with their muscle car era:





HTH

mblock used the wrong word. they arent giving you opinions they are giving you facts....

regarding the Musclecar heritage of the camaro. They are not marketing it as a Musclecar. Have you seen an ad or heard a blurb about it? Motortrend called it the american g37.....they liked the g37 because it handled very well. and they liked the v6 camaro because it handled very well. They put that refinment into the car because they are not marketing it as a fast car in a straight line. its a fast car on every line. Thus they have the slogan that is its a 21st century sports car....they aren't marketing it as a 21st century muscle car.

as pertaining to this thread a g37 will destroy a honda accord and thay is the v6 camaro is a better choice, sure they in the same price range but the camaro is a better buy.


also great job introducing yourself to the site. As far as scott Goes. Scott Settlemire does know more about the camaro then you do because he is an insider. dont try to belittle his information that he gives to the forum because it only shows how much more you have to learn.
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #109
Beau Tie
 
Beau Tie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2007 Camry
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 145
Send a message via AIM to Beau Tie
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
mblock used the wrong word. they arent giving you opinions they are giving you facts
I know what GM is giving me. I know what every manufacturer is giving me in marketing (I minored in marketing). Just like I know that Ford says they have the most reliable trucks. Just because they say they do doesn't mean they do.

Quote:
regarding the Musclecar heritage of the camaro. They are not marketing it as a Musclecar. Have you seen an ad or heard a blurb about it?
No, have you?

Quote:
Motortrend called it the american g37.....they liked the g37 because it handled very well. and they liked the v6 camaro because it handled very well. They put that refinment into the car because they are not marketing it as a fast car in a straight line. its a fast car on every line. Thus they have the slogan that is its a 21st century sports car....they aren't marketing it as a 21st century muscle car.
I never questioned the RWD G37 sports car. I questioned the FWD econobox, Accords.

Quote:
also great job introducing yourself to the site.
Thanks. Nice to meet ya.

Quote:
As far as scott Goes. Scott Settlemire does know more about the camaro then you do because he is an insider.
Sweet! I already stated, if you read above, that this Scott probably knows more about the Camaro than I do, 1 billion to 1.

Quote:
dont try to belittle his information that he gives to the forum because it only shows how much more you have to learn.
When I did I belittle him? I have never met him, spoke to him, replied to posts of his, or questioned him.

Do you have some sort of issue?
__________________
Beau Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #110
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,849
I have an issue.

This goes for everyone.

Get this thread back on topic or I'll intervene. Be respectful to everyone here. Everyone

State your opinions and respect those of others. DO NOT TROLL HERE. We don't tolerate it. No one is in danger of any punitive action.... Yet.

And furthermore, as Tag has already said, one of the foundations as to why this site has grown so much is the GM employees/insiders that take time out of their busy days to share with us. We want that to continue and will not allow them to be insulted, belittled, or offended. The same thing we do for all our members.

Like I said state your opinion and respect eachother's

Please don't push it.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #111
Beau Tie
 
Beau Tie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2007 Camry
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 145
Send a message via AIM to Beau Tie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I have an issue.

This goes for everyone.

Get this thread back on topic or I'll intervene. Be respectful to everyone here. Everyone

State your opinions and respect those of others. DO NOT TROLL HERE. We don't tolerate it. No one is in danger of any punitive action.... Yet.

And furthermore, as Tag has already said, one of the foundations as to why this site has grown so much is the GM employees/insiders that take time out of their busy days to share with us. We want that to continue and will not allow them to be insulted, belittled, or offended. The same thing we do for all our members.

Like I said state your opinion and respect eachother's

Please don't push it.
Thank you! And well stated.
__________________
Beau Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:37 PM   #112
Mblock66
 
Mblock66's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Tie View Post
Good for you (and your opinion), and good for GM, I and others disagree. Please accept that and move on.

Good for me?... I guess you don't get it. Being that you are a marketing minor you should understand market segments, product placement, and target consumer. I am a financial analyst professional for a fortune 500 (as long as we are throwing around "expertise") with a BS in finance and economics. (but honestly I don't think that means much in this argument)

You certainly are allowed to think what the camaro is and what its competition is for YOU, but the producer sets all of the above and places its product. Whether it is successful or not is determined by the market. Did GM do a good job in placing its product against the likes of accord, genesis, altima, and so on......we will see. But that IS where they are attempting to compete which inherently makes those product direct and I will repeat, direct sales competition.

So sure you and others are allowed to compare whatever cars you want (or not want) to the camaro, that is totally fine. No issues with that. But the business model IS and WILL be attempting to steal performance V6 market share from the accord, altima........

Whether we think it is or not based on performance or price or whatever is mearly a formality.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #113
Beau Tie
 
Beau Tie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2007 Camry
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 145
Send a message via AIM to Beau Tie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
So sure you and others are allowed to compare whatever cars you want (or not want) to the camaro, that is totally fine. No issues with that.
At least we can agree on something.

Back on topic (as requested), I still don't feel that the Accord stands a chance against the Camaro in a full out head to head. Paper is one thing, driving experience and mechanics is another. While none of us (most I should say) have no experience driving a new Camaro, I am confident that the Camaro driving experience will be night and day better than the Accord could offer. This is based on everything from engine torque performance, suspension setup, RWD vs. FWD cornering, straightline and cone performance.

The Camaro delivers a substantially better car for less money in regards to being a "drivers" car. The Camaro IS a sports car, the Accord is not.
__________________
Beau Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:18 AM   #114
swifttal
Man, this guy's a d!*k
 
swifttal's Avatar
 
Drives: '91 Z-28, '94 BMW 540i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hi
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
I'm glad someone posted this....

Here's what you guys need to be discussing right here....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9130
Gee, funny how the accord wasn't mentioned in that comparison, being such a big competitor and all

The Genesis, I would most definitely agree with you on. The whole automotive industry will be competing with both the coupe and sedan this year

Last edited by swifttal; 11-01-2008 at 12:29 AM.
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #115
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
But would you agree that it would be wise for Chevy to market the V6 Camaro towards the people who normally buy Accord V6s, and Altima V6s, etc (in addition to the red, white, and blue-blooded people you mentioned later on)?

In my opinion, they'd be really ignoring a fine chunk of potential buyers if they didn't.
I suppose, but one look at the Camaro and you can tell it's a world of difference from any accord or camry etc.. When most people think accord or camry their thoughts do not immediately rush to the classic muscle cars of yore or even the modern/retro bumblebee of today. Instead they think of a practical car that is uber reliable. When you say Camaro to me I think of my dad's 68 SS or the monster LS1's I see at the drag strip. It's a very different feeling.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #116
Mblock66
 
Mblock66's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 313
Yes but that is you. Turn it this way.

Some random 18 year old girl that wants a new cool car from daddy! She wants it to be sporty but knows nothing or cares nothing about engines or 0-60 or FWD or RWD.

They will look at the altima, mustang, accord, solara, camaro, etc. I promise that. I have seen way too many high school girls driving around in V6 mustangs and camaros in my day. Yet I bet they have no idea what a camaro is as far as muscle car history and such. We are all in the minority here most buyer aren't NEAR as informed as we are.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #117
swifttal
Man, this guy's a d!*k
 
swifttal's Avatar
 
Drives: '91 Z-28, '94 BMW 540i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hi
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Yes but that is you. Turn it this way.

Some random 18 year old girl that wants a new cool car from daddy! She wants it to be sporty but knows nothing or cares nothing about engines or 0-60 or FWD or RWD.

They will look at the altima, mustang, accord, solara, camaro, etc. I promise that. I have seen way too many high school girls driving around in V6 mustangs and camaros in my day. Yet I bet they have no idea what a camaro is as far as muscle car history and such. We are all in the minority here most buyer aren't NEAR as informed as we are.
Very true - in most cases like this the luck of the draw mostly depends on what dealership brands are closest to them. Very few buyers have an actual car in mind when they go shopping (like we do). They just have a type of image they want and the car salesmen convince them of what car will fit that.

Also talked w/ my 17 year old cousin this morning who informed me he wants a new camaro bad. I asked him about a few other cars, one of which was the accord, and he said that "the accord is an old japanese man's car". This combined with how many members we have on this board under 18, the camaro will do just fine with the younger generations.
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #118
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Detroit, Mi
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Yes but that is you. Turn it this way.

Some random 18 year old girl that wants a new cool car from daddy! She wants it to be sporty but knows nothing or cares nothing about engines or 0-60 or FWD or RWD.

They will look at the altima, mustang, accord, solara, camaro, etc. I promise that. I have seen way too many high school girls driving around in V6 mustangs and camaros in my day. Yet I bet they have no idea what a camaro is as far as muscle car history and such. We are all in the minority here most buyer aren't NEAR as informed as we are.
Exactly! Camaro sales aren't going to thrive alone on enthusiasts buying them alone! And even though a large majority of the pre-orders were actually 2SS's when GM starts loading them off at the lots you can bet there's going to be more LT's and LS's sitting on the lots...

GM knows that they need not only enthusiasts, but more importantly a broader customer base which the success of the Camaro depends on! So if GM can get anyone to buy the Camaro they don't care who buys them, just as long as it sells, and get ready to start seeing a lot of chicks rolling around in Camaro V6's & some V8's....

And other people that you normally would figure to buy a Camaro...
__________________
4 life!
Currently Driving: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #119
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Yes but that is you. Turn it this way.

Some random 18 year old girl that wants a new cool car from daddy! She wants it to be sporty but knows nothing or cares nothing about engines or 0-60 or FWD or RWD.

They will look at the altima, mustang, accord, solara, camaro, etc. I promise that. I have seen way too many high school girls driving around in V6 mustangs and camaros in my day. Yet I bet they have no idea what a camaro is as far as muscle car history and such. We are all in the minority here most buyer aren't NEAR as informed as we are.
Well if they don't care about RWD vs FWD I doubt they will care if the Accord is a .2 seconds quicker from 0 to 60 either. I know that for my wife it's all about how the car looks. Yup, she loves how the Camaro looks.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #120
Dom
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 119
General public that will buy the Camaro V6 will not care about any specs it has. The gear heads that buy the SS will care about the specs.

I personally can't wait to get one as my daily and beat that 14.2 ¼-mile to close this thread forever.
__________________
2000 Z28 - current daily
1996 Camaro 3.8 - previous daily
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #121
Evilangel
 
Evilangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
General public that will buy the Camaro V6 will not care about any specs it has. The gear heads that buy the SS will care about the specs.

I personally can't wait to get one as my daily and beat that 14.2 ¼-mile to close this thread forever.
ugh I'm still stuck between the 2lt/RS and the 1SS.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #122
Dom
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilangel View Post
ugh I'm still stuck between the 2lt/RS and the 1SS.
If that's going to be your only car I'd go with the SS. I already have a Z28 and plan on getting a LS3 vette to replace it eventually. This V6 will just be a daily. I'm getting a 1LT with upgraded radio as the only option. I'll be saving $8K, which will be used to help buy the future vette. If the vette was completely out of the question I'd go with the SS for sure.
__________________
2000 Z28 - current daily
1996 Camaro 3.8 - previous daily
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #123
MrIcky

 
MrIcky's Avatar
 
Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 1,536
Back to the OP, it is a legitimate question. The V6 accord COUPE (you clearly said coupe not the 4 door, right?) is actually a pretty strong car. Honda has long been known for good steering feel and precision which is what most people think of when they think of feeling sporty. The 2LT/RS and V6 Coupe compete pretty well on equipment and price.

The Accord coupe looks OK but looks is in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't think a car has come up in the last 15 years that looks as good as the new Camaro excluding a couple Italian exotics.

The Accord dash is a turn off in my opinion (and my wife's). There are too many buttons that detract from driving. The Camaro looks much less cluttered. However some people don't care for the retro-ish ness of the Camaro- again up to you.

The Accord does get better mileage, slightly. Hard to say on reliability, although GM has convinced me that they are doing much better.

If you actually steer with your right foot on public roads, then the answer is clear- Camaro. Otherwise it's much more about aesthetics and reputation.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #124
TomServo
 
Drives: 2007 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Swansea IL
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
Back to the OP, it is a legitimate question. The V6 accord COUPE (you clearly said coupe not the 4 door, right?)

I did and in a subsequent follow up I also added that this question was generated by my 27 year old son currently serving in Iraq. He contacted me regarding his plans to buy a new car upon his return, you know how GI's serving overseas dream about these things. I did when I was in Viet Nam.

He started off asking for info on the 2009 Accord Coupe (his mom has a 2008 Accord sedan that he drove while home on leave - it's the EX-L I4 w/Nav).

So while I was gathering info on the 2009 Accord Coupe my dealer called informing me I could order a new Camaro. I had "casually" mentioned I wanted to be the first Camaro buyer in line at my dealer that was back in 2006. I have the first two allocations at Jack Schmitt Chevrolet in O’ Fallon IL. I have ordered my 2LT/RS and am waiting on my son to make up his mind. Here’s the rest of the story hence this thread.

I started passing on the URL's and car magazine reports. Still even armed with all that he was leaning towards the Accord coupe, he even mentioned that also every other Security Forces troop in his squadron (all under the age of 27) felt the same way. This may not be very scientific but when red blooded American military youth lean heavily towards the Honda one has to ask - Why???

So that was the reason for starting this thread. Not to justify or confirm the purchase decision of feelings of a coupleof thousand die hard Camaro fans that are most likely over the age of 45.

I'm talking about the youth of today and what their dreams and aspirations are. Hell I'm 57 and have owned a 1969 Firebird 400, a 75 Firebird T/A, a 78 Firebird T/A 6.6, a 83 Camaro LT, a 85 Camaro IROC and 7 vette's since 1972.

So it's not so much about me and my generation but about the current generation. I’ll say it again,- This Generation, not mine/ours.

Thanks for listening and I hope this get's back on track.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #125
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Detroit, Mi
Posts: 595
That's great what you are doing for your son! Tell your son thank you for his sacrifices and for fighting for our country!

I'm a little younger than your son, well 5 years younger... but... I'd ask him what he wants. The Accord Coupe V6, and the Camaro V6 offer and bring different things to the table. As far as price goes... depending on what he wants they're going to be competitive, however.... If he opts for a fully loaded 2LT w RS, it's going to cost less than a V6 Accord Coupe w navigation, I believe those are going for over 30k...

Performance wise... By going off of #'s alone the V6 Accord Coupe probably will be just a few ticks quicker, however until either GM releases official performance stats for the V6 Camaro or once the car magazines like C&D AND NOT EDMUNDS!!! do their tests, we can't be certain.

Looks are a personal opinion. The Camaro in my opinion looks 100x better than the Accord Coupe V6, although the Accord Coupe actually isn't that bad looking. I keep seeing one in the really nice electric Blue and it's too not bad looking.

Lastly he really can't make a decision until the V6 Camaro comes out so he can test drive them himself. I don't know what other cars he's owned in his lifetime, but the V6 Camaro and the Accord Coupe V6 are probably going to offer very different driving dynamics. The Camaro V6 being RWD will behave differently vs the Accord Coupe seeing it's FWD. Also is he planning on getting a manual or auto trans?

Those are concepts that I'd forward to him. Maybe even take some suggestions from this posting.

In my opinion, I'd take a equally equipped Camaro V6 (like a 2LT w RS) over the Accord V6 Coupe. Unfortunately I don't think the V6 (for what I want) will deliver the level of performance that I'm looking for (i'm hoping to be proven wrong though ), so in the mean time I'm looking at a 08 350Z and then having that for a few years until I can save and get myself the Camaro SS that I really want...
__________________
4 life!
Currently Driving: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 05:38 PM
AW: New Camaro a one trick pony? Scotsman 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 16 09-04-2008 10:07 PM
NEW!! Voice Your MARKETING Suggestions/Input for Focus Group on 2010 Camaro. Mr. Wyndham 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 114 05-08-2008 10:24 PM
Cheryl Pilcher (Fbodmother) Questions & Answers camaro5 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 2 04-19-2008 06:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.