Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
BP has stopped the oil leak...

CEO claims that BP put a ring on it and it stopped putting out.

yeah, that was a bad one. but had to share
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....

Last edited by topgun1; 06-15-2010 at 05:15 PM.
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
They should've listened to Beyonce: "If you like it, then you should have put a ring on it." That was bad. I know.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Oh men, its gonna be an ugly one.

Im no invironmentalist or green peace, but this was a bad one and im sure it will have pretty bad consequences.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
yeah, it's a serious deal. I'm an environmental engineer currently working on an EPA Superfund site, but sometimes you have to step back from the situation to keep sanity!
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
All the poor animals...
Old 06-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
yeah, it's a serious deal. I'm an environmental engineer currently working on an EPA Superfund site, but sometimes you have to step back from the situation to keep sanity!
You guys are right. This is a very serious event. :( Louisiana's fishing culture is potentially ruined. Cajun food is sure to have a lot less crawfish. There are a lot of dead animals, some of which may have been on endangered lists. Let's not forget about the people who make their money on the water. Their lives will never be the same. I hope the cleanup campaign restores this disaster quickly, although I doubt that this is possible.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
mdinferno

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT/RS
BP oil spill ship hit by lightning

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...nt_effort.html
mdinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, Audi Q5
Frankly, I think that most people don't really know how serious this spill is. I am not an environmentalist, and I support offshore drilling.

I just read an article that seems to be very in-depth and unbiased in what's going on. In fact, it is the best write up I've seen on what's really going on.

The article comes to the conclusion that it is now a race between how fast they can drill relief wells and how soon the well itself is going to collapse. The writer is fairly certain the collapse of the well is a given, and is almost certainly going to happen before any relief wells are drilled.

I highly recommend reading the article which is long, but informative.

I'm going to post this link in another thread, because this thread is/was more of a joke thread.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Where did you see that the leaked was stopped? I havn't seen that anywhere! I am watching it leak out right now!

-Custom Stripes, Eibach Drop Springs
-MagnaFlow 3" Catback with X pipe
-ADM CAI-Street Version, SLP 160 T-Stat
-Ragin Racin Custom Tune
-Kooks LT Coated Headers, Heritage Grille
-Barton Short Throw Shifter
-Slotted & Dimpled Rotors
-Powercoated Calipers by Mike
-Hawk Ceramic Pads
-Painted Roof
-Painted Gills & Back Panel
-3-M Clear Bra, AAC Plasma DRL's
404rwhp and 403tq
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 2-Tone View Post
Where did you see that the leaked was stopped? I havn't seen that anywhere! I am watching it leak out right now!
It was just a joke thread... Hard for you and I to see much humor in this one.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
Louisiana just cant get a break can they?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:57 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Oh men, its gonna be an ugly one.

Im no invironmentalist or green peace, but this was a bad one and im sure it will have pretty bad consequences.
yeah, this goes a bit beyond the occasional environmental 'whoopsie' that happens from time to time. Latest estimates have about 45k-60k barrels a day are leaking ... thats about 50x what BP initially said it was. And odds are, next week the estimate will be even higher. But, all this negativity towards deep offshore drilling is good for biofuels and the Alberta Tarsands (and the middle east). Oil needs to come from somewhere for at least the next 50 years ... Alberta and algae seem to be better alternatives to potentially ruining coastal fisheries.

For those who are wondering about the effect of the Alberta tarsands ... its an area the size of Florida and so long as its profitable, the area will look something like this:

for perspective, each of those trucks weigh more than a loaded 747 jumbo jet and are the size of a 2 story house.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #13
dmiller66
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '13 2SS/RS, Blue Ray Metallic, Auto
What sux is that we have the technology to get off oil. Its amazing how money runs our world and ruins it at the same time.
dmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller66 View Post
What sux is that we have the technology to get off oil. Its amazing how money runs our world and ruins it at the same time.
get off oil? No, not yet. But there is technology that exists that can take a large bite out of fossil fuels. Problem is, such technology requires oil to be above $75/barrel ... which is where it has hovered for quite a while.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
get off oil? No, not yet. But there is technology that exists that can take a large bite out of fossil fuels. Problem is, such technology requires oil to be above $75/barrel ... which is where it has hovered for quite a while.

I thought you were going to bed....
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #16
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
BP has a double standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #17
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Yes it a huge mess, but...

Steve,

Thanks for the support of offshore drilling... It's critical to our countries economy...

This is a mess, I do not deny that for one moment, but for the doom and gloom people thinking that this is a forever incident, it isn't, unless we allow it to be...

Ixtoc1...Bay of Campeche, Mexico, Look it up... Averaged one million gallons a day, for over nine months.... and there is no evidence of it to be found, and no one outside the industry even remembered or knew of it until it was mentioned a few times by the non knowing press after some search's revealed it...

The Exxon Valdez... yup, another mess, lots of heavy crude in the water, environmental effects still felt today... Same deal,.... not in any form or fashion other than it relates to oil in the water... Consider the topography of Prince William Sound... Rock, mountainous terrain, severe weather, etc...Very very remote...They keep comparing the Deepwater Horizon event to the Exxon Valdez because of the long term environmental effects... DRAMA....

Gulf of Mexico, sand, sand and more sand, moderate weather most of the year, and heavy industrial capacity in close proximity.

The effects of the Ixtoc 1 event were for the most part gone within months, not years, and I challenge you to find any long term effects today... No, we can't recover the dead animals... and for that I'm sorry...

The press fails to keep re-hashing Ixtoc1 since it serves them no purpose... DRAMA...

They sell air time and face time through over dramatizing events such as this... Was BP under-prepared, yes, have they failed to do everything they could, that remains to be seen...

I work in this industry, it is my livelyhood. I understand the challenges they face and have empathy for them, not sympathy...

There are some problems in our industry, but they are related to people...
I've read many of the articles being shoved down the public's throats by the talking heads... OMG, where in the world are they from, Mars?

As with any industry, all the technology in the world is only as good as the people that operate it... Nothing is fully automated... therefore human error can enter into it...

This is the second "major" oil spill in the gulf of Mexico, Ixtoc 1 is the other... Do a search and look at the oil spills related to other industries...or environmental spills to the water from other sources... There are literally hundreds, and they are allmost all related to shipping.
Have they stopped shipping, uhhhh, no... What causes these shipping incidents, the majority of them are due to human error... Why do they not stop shipping, because we need the oil... We as a country have grown super dependent on it... It would take many many years to get away from our oil dependence.

If you firmly believe we can do it today, then stand up and be the first... Remove anything you own that relies on petroleum products... Suffice it to say, you might as well go get a tent, but wait, those are shipped and trucked with petroleum products... ok a box, nope same issues, ok, go find a cave and crawl in... Nope, get off the computer, recycle the cell phone, I'll take the Camaro from you if you are serious...

I know there is some mis-information, but to write an article that is obviously bent on sensationalization is wrong. Why do they do it, BECAUSE WE KEEP BUYING IT...

Where is all this going, I can't say because it is forbidden by the forum rules... but, be informed.. talk to actual industry insiders, not fan boys, but people that work there...

I laughed the other day... there was a woman reporter, that was actually allowed to go to the scene and learn first hand... She was pretty much slamming anyone that had to do with the oilfield prior to her visit...

Post visit, she returned with a hugely different perspective... She wasn't fed a party line, she talked to the men and women that live this work.. She came back with empathy, sympathy, and understanding...

They/we are not looking for any of this. It just happened. There are no unions, no employee protection groups and none of us are looking for any handouts, just let us work, keep the regulations, we can deal with those, but please do not throw an umbrella over the problem and state that it can't be done safely or in a manner friendly to the environment...

I don't do the work that most of you do, so all I can do is imagine what it involves, and you can explain it to someone that is going to put their need based bent on it, and that person could explain it to me... Have I gained any further understanding of your reality... NO... Not at all....

I apologize for the long post, and wandering thought, but research through valid sources of information the truth before you support or condemn an entire industry...

Last edited by SSE 4 2SS; 06-16-2010 at 07:29 AM.
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #18
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Cajun food is sure to have a lot less crawfish.

That is a completely inaccurate statement. Crawfish live inland in the swamps of Louisiana (freshwater). Unless a hurricane blows the oil up into the swamps, crawfish will not be affected.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #19
Big Brunsy

Drives: Silverado
I just wish Hyperion would build thier refinery over in SE SD already. They've had the land options for over a year and have their permits. Only thing stopping them is all of these green hippies that need to wake up and realize the financial impact it would have on the area, creating enough jobs to cover for the closing of John Morell, not to mention that the jobs would pay twice as much.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #20
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
A year or two after Katrina, we had 30+ rigs working in the Gulf... We are only one company.... Now we have 6 or 7... Some of those are heading to the beach to stack (no longer work)after they finish their current jobs. Consider all the companies affected, and the financial burden that is being placed on La. You can pretty much consider the towns and cities south of IH 10 will become ghost towns, and the employment cost will be felt in La. Al. and Miss... In all three of these states, there is a huge percentage of people that work offshore, or work in areas that support offshore work...

If this moratorium persists, you can look forward to the highest gas prices you have ever seen... and we will become even more dependent on foreign oil... hence higher prices...
One of the guys I am working with right now said the only trucking going on in South La is supporting the oil spill... Trucking, tool companies, service companies, material providers, drilling companies, manufacturing companies, helicopter companies, ship yards, work boat companies, tug boats companies, crew boat companies, Health and Safety companies, and the thousands of businesses that support all of the others working in these companies... are going to go under outright, or will move to other locations in other countries and take their money with them...

The only saving grace for La. is that some of the toughest and hardest working people I have ever had the pleasure to meet and work with are from threre. Given the cyclic nature of the oil industry, they have seen this before, and they will go on... One way or another....

But consider this... all of the thousands of people that can't or wont wait it out, will go on to other careers, and when the oil field does come back, the experience level will be substantially less than it is right now... Think About it...
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #21
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
In other news:

Astonished geologists have discovered a wealth of mineral resources in of all places........Afghanistan. They estimate upwards of 1 Trillion dollars worth of raw minerals, including, gold, copper, iron ore, and quite possibly the worlds largest deposit of Lithium.

They claim that Afghanistan could become the "Saudi Arabia" of Lithium.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/wo...4minerals.html

I'm sure the US and China will commence warring over mineral rights soon.