Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
future2010camaroowner
Still learning
 
Drives: none yet
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 120
Is this considered excessive force?

A police officer from Seattle punches a woman in the face for interfering with an arrest and for shoving the officer.

http://www.providingnews.com/seattle...necessary.html



Please feel free to weigh in your opinion especially police officers. I'd like to hear your point of view.
__________________
"His fat ass wife/ GF was smiling and chuckling in the passenger seat, as if she just found an extra powdered donut at the bottom of the bag that she thought was empty." - jrc1122

Last edited by future2010camaroowner; 06-16-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: redundacy
future2010camaroowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Blade


 
Blade's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS SIM RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 4,632
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Everyone's an idiot in that video.

1) Apparently it all escalated from a jaywalking crime. So the officer decides to exercise a pretty useless law in the middle of the day.
2) Idiot #1: The jaywalker who decided to resist arrest. By being beligerent and trying to run/walk away from the cop.
3) Idiot #2: Her sister who decides lets gang up on the cop, because you know at this point the cop is pissed and nothing better than to resist and engage a pissed off cop.
4) Idiot #3: The cop, obviously had no control of a situation that didn't require such a mess. And also forgot that this is 2010 and everyone's got a cell phone camera.
__________________
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, Audi Q5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 8,582
Living in Seattle, here's my take.

1) The school nearby requested police to enforce jaywalking there because jaywalking there has been a problem.
2) There is a pedestrian overpass which you see in the video which was built specifically to alleviate jaywalking on the busy street.
3) When an officer asks you to do something, be polite and do it. Don't assault the officer.
4) These idiots (I don't care about the race) brought this on themselves.
5) The cop showed amazing restraint in not breaking out a gun or taser.
6) And this is the scary part of this - look at around 1:30 in the video - see the guy with the gun out?
__________________
2014 LBM Stingray Z51, Mag Ride, Perf Exhst, Comp Seats
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.

Last edited by Steve Dallas; 06-16-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Steve Dallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Everyone's an idiot in that video.

1) Apparently it all escalated from a jaywalking crime. So the officer decides to exercise a pretty useless law in the middle of the day.
2) Idiot #1: The jaywalker who decided to resist arrest. By being beligerent and trying to run/walk away from the cop.
3) Idiot #2: Her sister who decides lets gang up on the cop, because you know at this point the cop is pissed and nothing better than to resist and engage a pissed off cop.
4) Idiot #3: The cop, obviously had no control of a situation that didn't require such a mess. And also forgot that this is 2010 and everyone's got a cell phone camera.
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
d69chris
Florida C5
 
d69chris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tequesta, FL
Posts: 2,615
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
+1 for Steve in Dallas

No respect for Police officers.

It's always easier to do the right thing, but a lot of poeple choose to go the other way.
__________________
Ordered 11/08/08....Del. 08/05/2009 Loving every minute of it! Don't hate me because i'm Pretty....
d69chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
KowalskiCamaro
 
KowalskiCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 1SS & 2011 Durango
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seneca, SC
Posts: 160
This officer had every right to use force. He ended her attack immediately. Jumping on his back while he carries a weapon is STUPID. The officer doesn't know if these people are on drugs or could take his sidearem from him. Then all the yahoos just standing around not helping the officer are instead filming the scene with cell phones. Just plain sad excuses for human beings. That's my .02.
KowalskiCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, Audi Q5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 8,582
What people are not talking about is the guy that had the gun out behind the officer. As I said, I think the officer showed amazing restraint in not escalating this by pulling out the taser or gun. If he had done that, what do you think the guy with the gun might have done.

The cop did what he was trained to do. Sometimes this means throwing punches to defuse the situation. It did rile up the crowd, but one guy did pull the person in pink away to keep her from continue to assault the officer. This allowed the officer to do HIS JOB in arresting the first woman. He than arrested the other...as he SHOULD have.

People are making a big deal about this being overreaction for jaywalking, but as I said earlier...the School REQUESTED they do this because they've had accidents and other issues recently with jaywalkers.
__________________
2014 LBM Stingray Z51, Mag Ride, Perf Exhst, Comp Seats
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.
Steve Dallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, Audi Q5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 8,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
+1 for Steve in Dallas
I'm in Seattle

Steve Dallas is a cartoon character I've used for years as my pseudonym.

__________________
2014 LBM Stingray Z51, Mag Ride, Perf Exhst, Comp Seats
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.
Steve Dallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,797
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I gaurantee the officer will be found at NO fault.

I don't care what the situation, woman or not, you can't shove an officer while he's engaged with an offender. And that was no small lady.

Me? I doubt I swing at her like that, but it certainly got her out of the picture so he could make the arrest. It was effective.

The spoiled little girl thought she was above following the rules and escalated it for whatever reason. She should have just taken her ticket like most of us would have done.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
Moriartii

 
Moriartii's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 1,298
Wow just wow, I cannot believe this. Not the fact he punched her but the fact the all those people were just standing around and filming it all nonchalant like. Then the bystander with the gun right next to the cop!!! Holy crap, I think that is a statement of todays degredation of society, noone cares.
WOW
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
cowboy1948

 
cowboy1948's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 LT2/RS-08 SILVERADO-05 COBALT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 929
Cool

The officer was doing his duty. She was interfering and would not keep her hands off of him. Yes. he was right. Do not touch a officer.
__________________

Retired
cowboy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family
 
guiLT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Maxima
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 6,634
I honestly think its wrong for the Police Officer to punch her in the face.

But I also think its wrong for the girl to resist arrest.
__________________
guiLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
YLWJKT
 
Drives: 2010 SC'd 2SS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 241
Worst part is they were released with no charges.
Also they both have previous arrests including one for a previous assault on an officer.
YLWJKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
cplhester
 
cplhester's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS LS3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Muskogee Oklahoma
Posts: 465
Im on the officers side. He did what he had to do in a potentially volatile situation. He was out numbered and had to get things under control. He protected himself plain and simple.
cplhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!
 
prostock69's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mansfield, TX
Posts: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Everyone's an idiot in that video.

1) Apparently it all escalated from a jaywalking crime. So the officer decides to exercise a pretty useless law in the middle of the day.
2) Idiot #1: The jaywalker who decided to resist arrest. By being beligerent and trying to run/walk away from the cop.
3) Idiot #2: Her sister who decides lets gang up on the cop, because you know at this point the cop is pissed and nothing better than to resist and engage a pissed off cop.
4) Idiot #3: The cop, obviously had no control of a situation that didn't require such a mess. And also forgot that this is 2010 and everyone's got a cell phone camera.
I agree on all four accounts. Ticketing someone for jaywalking is just ridiculous. Which I'm sure is why the woman was resisting his attempts to detain her for it. However, she should have complied, took her ticket and fought it in court. He's just doing his job. HOWEVER, him hitting this woman in the face because she shoves him is ridiculous. Is this the "maneuver" cops are being trained to use when they can't get someone to comply? I don't think so. He punched her because he lost control of the situation and he let his anger get the best of him. Not good.
__________________
2SS/RS Inferno Orange w/ black stripes, black/orange interior, Automatic, w/ sunroof and polished aluminum wheels

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #16
Havok

 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock69 View Post
I agree on all four accounts. Ticketing someone for jaywalking is just ridiculous. Which I'm sure is why the woman was resisting his attempts to detain her for it. However, she should have complied, took her ticket and fought it in court. He's just doing his job. HOWEVER, him hitting this woman in the face because she shoves him is ridiculous. Is this the "maneuver" cops are being trained to use when they can't get someone to comply? I don't think so. He punched her because he lost control of the situation and he let his anger get the best of him. Not good.
1. I don't think she was getting the ticket.

2. You can't take just what you see from this video. I'm sure the person didn't have it out right when it happened so there is probably more before this that we don't know about.

Did the cop use excessive force? I don't know as I'd have to see what was going on before this was filming. As like someone else said it kind of disgust me to see a bunch of people just standing around with their camera phones out probably hoping to send it into the news organizations to show how another cop goes about beating on a poor helpless woman that was trying to help someone.

As for jaywalking its kind of a dumb law, but sometimes when you get those people who just jump out of no where into the road and you have to stop on a dime or you'll hit the person while they go on to take like 20 minutes to walk across the street because they feel that they own the road or something it doesn't look like that dumb of a law.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,515
Ok. I retract my statement after watching the video again.

The womean pretty much attacked him while he was trying to arrest the other one. She had no right to even be nearby him when that was going on. He was already in a dangerous situation as it is.


But one thing, I didn't see a gun in the video. Can someone point it out?
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #18
Shardik2SS
How U Doin?
 
Drives: #21,644
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Californication
Posts: 24,566
In a stressful and potential dangerous situation I feel he handled the situation as he saw fit. He didn't know if the woman who attacked him was armed or what. She had no business interfering or attacking the officer. It's pretty simple, follow the laws and don't put yourself in a situation like that. Most people have little use or respect for law enforcement unless they are in need of help.
Shardik2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #19
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, Audi Q5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 8,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
But one thing, I didn't see a gun in the video. Can someone point it out?
If you watch the above video (the second one), it is at about 1:30 on the video.

Here's a picture as well - look in the lower left. Video shows longer and clearer though:

__________________
2014 LBM Stingray Z51, Mag Ride, Perf Exhst, Comp Seats
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.
Steve Dallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,650
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Excessive force? No way. I've seen cops use Tasers for less. That officer showed incredible restraint.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #21
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,515
Sorry, but it still doesn't look like a gun to me.
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #22
Keedy
Should have waited...
 
Keedy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Sorry, but it still doesn't look like a gun to me.
agreed. It doesn't have enough form. To me, it looks like a rectangular shape in a dark colored bag, and he's holding the item while the excess bag hangs down.
Keedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #23
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, Audi Q5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 8,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keedy View Post
agreed. It doesn't have enough form. To me, it looks like a rectangular shape in a dark colored bag, and he's holding the item while the excess bag hangs down.
I full-screened the video and watched frame by frame...after watching it several times, it really could be a gun. Nothing conclusive, but the way he carries it definately makes it seem to be one.

Here's another pic:

__________________
2014 LBM Stingray Z51, Mag Ride, Perf Exhst, Comp Seats
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.
Steve Dallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #24
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 123,978
The cop should have arrested all those idiots.
__________________
Jannetty Racing JRE Street Package
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #25
WhiteSnake79
 
WhiteSnake79's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 179
I'm pretty sure that's a gun, and if it is, that dude should be arrested as well. What sorry excuses for youth these days. Not only the two females resisiting arrest, but the D-Bags standing around that close; cussing and interfering like that. Makes me sick.
WhiteSnake79 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minimum HP for 200mph Christiancoach General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 27 06-24-2011 02:40 PM
Former task force head bullish on GM, Chrysler ShnOmac General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 0 10-21-2009 08:06 PM
United States Air Force PureEvil Off-topic Discussions 6 12-15-2007 11:46 PM
John Force taken to Dallas hospital KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 12 09-25-2007 02:05 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.