Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
soniccj7

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM
Opinion on dealer removing/installing new stripes.

Sorry if this questions has been asked before.

I am in the market for a IBM Camaro with white stripes. My dealer located one with black stripes. He said they can remove the black stripes and install white stripes.

I am afraid they would damage the paint if they try to remove the black stripes. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Ed
soniccj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Patriot

Drives: 2011 LS3/RS on order... ..
They can be removed easily. They heat up an edge to soften the vinyl, then the peeling begins. They come right off if they are fairly new.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
rlchevy

Drives: Current Scion future Camaro
removing stripes

I had several issues with my dealer that I won't get into now. However, I had white stripes applied to my jewel tint red Camaro. They applied them crooked and had to remove them. It was not a problem for them at all. So that shouldn't be a problem.
rlchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Removal is easy. As rlchevy noted, I would be more worried about the installation.
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
How did the White look on the RJT?? I'm still muddling over really metallic silver or Pearl white stripes.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
They can be removed easily. They heat up an edge to soften the vinyl, then the peeling begins. They come right off if they are fairly new.
This

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
soniccj7

Who usually installs the stripes? I know last year the dealer said it was a dealer installed option.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 06-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Have them remove. That should be fine.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
rjcamaro
312 HP

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
They use a big ice scraper, comes right off, not to worry.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
Removal will be fine. I ordered mine without stripes then decided I wanted the rally stripes. My dealer claimed they tried two sets and still left air bubbles, ripped the thin outline stripe and did not line the stripes up evenly. After bringing this to their attention, they said they would either order me one more set and I would need to install them myself, or I could leave them on and they would give me $350 back. Hopefully your dealer is more respectable! I finally got them to remove them and give me a full refund. I would recommend looking for a shop that does this professionally (as I did with my aftermarket rallys), or be sure your dealer can do this right.
Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniccj7 View Post
Who usually installs the stripes? I know last year the dealer said it was a dealer installed option.

Thanks,

Ed

Reading the note below is why the dealers are no longer in charge of the install when the stripes are ordered from the factory. There is a local shop near the factory that handles the stripe installs. This way they are done correctly and consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak 2010 View Post
Removal will be fine. I ordered mine without stripes then decided I wanted the rally stripes. My dealer claimed they tried two sets and still left air bubbles, ripped the thin outline stripe and did not line the stripes up evenly. After bringing this to their attention, they said they would either order me one more set and I would need to install them myself, or I could leave them on and they would give me $350 back. Hopefully your dealer is more respectable! I finally got them to remove them and give me a full refund. I would recommend looking for a shop that does this professionally (as I did with my aftermarket rallys), or be sure your dealer can do this right.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
soniccj7

I just came back from the dealer and they said their vinyl guy cuts their own rally stripes. Would it be possible to order them direct from Chevy? I am afraid aftermarket cut ones won't look right.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 06-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
I'm sure you can order the GM ones from your dealer's parts department. However, there are several shops that have both the rally and bumblebee style, and from what I've seen there is little or no difference from the factory ones. Take a look at my garage if you think it can help you decide.
Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
lwlkr92

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
I would save the $$ and have them painted on when you can afford to. I love the look of mine, but they always seem to have white swirl marks on them. I plan to have them painted on in the near future.
lwlkr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post
Removal is easy. As rlchevy noted, I would be more worried about the installation.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwlkr92 View Post
I would save the $$ and have them painted on when you can afford to. I love the look of mine, but they always seem to have white swirl marks on them. I plan to have them painted on in the near future.
agreed
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Sounds like you don't trust your dealer.

They come off easier than you can imagine.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #17
soniccj7

I have a hard time trusting anyone who works on my vehicles.

My dealer was able to locate a 1SS/RS that has factory installed rally stripes. Should be in this week.

ED
Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #18
jennnchuck

Drives: 2010 yellow 2lt/rs
mine came without stripes. i had the dealer order and install them. i told them i would like there best guy to do it, and i would be there with them to make sure they were done right, and installed straight. they had no problem with that and actually encouraged it. i am very happy with the job they did.
jennnchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #19
Riddikulus5Gen

Drives: 2010 ABM RS 2LT
See, this is one of my downfalls as well, the stripes.

Aqua Blue in my opinion needs no stripes, and I am searching far and wide to find the perfect car, but I have some reservations about getting one with stripes, even if everything else is a go, because I would want the stripes removed, and do not in any way/shape/form want to damage the paint or anything like that.

you said if the stripes are fairly new, they should not be a problem to be easily removed, but what if the stripes are over a year old?

what's the standings on that?

thanks!

Built: October 2010 / ABM Chevy Camaro RS 2LT
Grey/Ebony Leather Interior / 6-Speed Manual Trans.
Gauge Cluster / Silver Rally Stripes (May remove?)
20" Polished Aluminum Rims.
K&N Cold-Air Intake / Corsa Exhaust.
Riddikulus5Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #20
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
When I talked to my vinyl guy about stripes before he did my car he said the real issue wouldn't be from them sticking or anything but from the fine scratches.

Believe it or not, your paint is going to get tiny little scratches from things like road debry and from wiping down the car with a towel...things like that. Obviously under the stripes their won't be those tiny scratches. When you remove the stripes you may or may not see the difference depending on how long they've been on the car an how may miles. A darker colored car is also going to be more noticable than a light colored car.

Now....you should be able to get a professional detailer that knows what they are doing to be able to buff out those tiny scratches with differnt polishing compounds.

I think with these cars only have stripes on for a year or two you'll probabaly be okay. Just look into finding a good detailer and factor in their price as part of the car.

BTW: They may chemicals/sprays that are designed to take vinyl off without issues. Look up RapidTac.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote