Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Do I need to resurface my rotors (and cost)?

My 2013 SS only has ~17.5K miles on it, but I'm starting to hear a bit of a squeal when I brake so it's time to change the pads. I don't drive particularly hard so am a bit surprised I need to change them so quickly.

I bought a set of HPS pads, and my dealer is quoting me ~$450 to install the pads and resurface the rotors. Called another dealer and got same quote...

Do I need to resurface the rotors at this point? I doubt their very worn at only 17.5k miles on it. Can I just change the pads?

Thanks for any help!
SLP TVS2300, 3" Magnaflow catback, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can, white factory rally stripes. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
HAMBO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
First, that price seems really steep for only pad replacement and resurfacing, especially if you are providing pads.

Second, it is always a good idea to resurface with new pads. It has been my experience that the pads seat better on resurfaced rotors.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and Gary's customs bowties, painted emblems and taillight bezels

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport sways, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, high-flow cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
HAMBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
First, that price seems really steep for only pad replacement and resurfacing, especially if you are providing pads.

Second, it is always a good idea to resurface with new pads. It has been my experience that the pads seat better on resurfaced rotors.
Thanks. Ya, I was surprised by the price as well, but have now called three places and got similar quotes

I understand it's best to resurface the rotors, but I'm not experiencing any problems with my brakes at this point, and only my front pads are a bit worn down. I'm replacing the rears just to have the HPS' all around. If I were at 35k+ miles I'd understand, but at 17k it seems early to have to resurface. Is there harm in not resurfacing them?
SLP TVS2300, 3" Magnaflow catback, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can, white factory rally stripes. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Moto7451

Drives: 2013 Camero RS 1LT
With my Malibu I'd go through the same ringer. $450 for $100 in parts and an hour of their time. As a result, when I was really poor I'd just throw on pads and scour the heck out of the rotors. That worked just fine since my rotors were very clean anyway (only a handful of groves from sand and whatnot), but you want to be very thorough in your bedding process.

When I got a better job I got really fancy and just replaced the rotors when I had to redo my brakes. Whole thing ran me ~$150 care of AC Delco parts on Amazon. Fun project too. I might end up doing that, perhaps part of a Brembo swap, for my Camaro when the time comes (unless I get lazy and pay the piper).

That said, usually, getting your rotors lathed at a mom and pop shouldn't be too pricy.
Moto7451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
You don't need to resurface the rotors. I don't when switching between my track and street pads. Going from a street to a street pad though you might need to hit the rotors with some sand paper to get the old pad material off. Track pads when cold do a good job of scraping off the street pad material before I bed them so it's not really an issue.
1LE rear sway bar
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT
Try a tire shop?

BMR sub frame connector, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sway bars, LSR chrome molly control arms & toe links, Sphon heavy duty end links, GM strut tower brace, Megan Racing coil overs, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop drilled/slotted rotors & pads, RX catch can, Vararam Ram Air intake, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow Resonated x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp upgrade, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Dynamat, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, IPF Tuned, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights.
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #7
HAMBO

Ended up taking them to another mechanic in the area. He checked the rotors for me and said I didn't need to resurface them. Put in the new pads, and have been riding around on them for a few days now with no issues (braking feels better).
Old 04-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
adh1208

Drives: 2010 SS
Going to be looking into this tomorrow, got a quote today from a dealership for 900 and another for 540. Insane really, can't understand how they can tell me that they are needing to resurface my rotors and haven't even seen them.
adh1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:19 PM   #9
adh1208

We have the SS, how do I tell if its the Brembo? And what are the difference, when replacing the pads?
Old 04-29-2015, 12:44 AM   #10
backeddy

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
adh is it stock? its brembo, if you see wheels sticking out off of the pads, it's brembo. They are very good pads, even for light track use. avoid ceramic pads, you might be sorry in a panic stop...
Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #11
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
All SS cars have Brembo brakes.
1LE rear sway bar
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #12
adh1208

Thanks for the responses, I'll probably be replacing the pads myself.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #13
Gruby2k

Drives: '14 SS/1LE
A pad replacement on these Brembo's is super easy. I can't believe how much a mechanic will charge for it. I've done it quite a few times now and if I was just replaceing the pad it wouldn't take any longer than 10 minutes a corner. You simply, pop two pins out (releases tention on retaining clip), pull old pads, push pistons in (doesn't take hardly any pressure) greese new pads and drop them in, replace pins first then slide your clip back in. Don't even have to remove caliper. These Brembo brakes were well engineered to be super easy to replace pads. Don't get ripped off!
Any time you change pad material you are suppose to remove old material off of the rotor surface, thats why they tell you to have your rotors turned.
Gruby2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #14
adh1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruby2k View Post
A pad replacement on these Brembo's is super easy. I can't believe how much a mechanic will charge for it. I've done it quite a few times now and if I was just replaceing the pad it wouldn't take any longer than 10 minutes a corner. You simply, pop two pins out (releases tention on retaining clip), pull old pads, push pistons in (doesn't take hardly any pressure) greese new pads and drop them in, replace pins first then slide your clip back in. Don't even have to remove caliper. These Brembo brakes were well engineered to be super easy to replace pads. Don't get ripped off!
Any time you change pad material you are suppose to remove old material off of the rotor surface, thats why they tell you to have your rotors turned.
Thanks for the heads up, I was fixing to start a thread of my own on this. I can't seem to find, using the search button, where people are buying the replacement pads. Most are wanting to upgrade their brakes from brembo or to brembo but no actual threads on servicing them. Im glad to hear that y'all don't take them to a dealership for service every time. I have changed pads all my life, but this is my wife's car and she wants all service done by the dealership so I usually let her take it. But when I heard the quote for 900 and then a different one for 500 I was shocked.
Oreilly has pads for under 100 front and rear but none specify brembo, I'm not sure that that is important or not.
Just to let everyone know, this car has probably never seen 85 mph with her behind the wheel. So it never gets "raced", as some may.
Again, thanks for the help.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #15
Mike_G

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by adh1208 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I was fixing to start a thread of my own on this. I can't seem to find, using the search button, where people are buying the replacement pads. Most are wanting to upgrade their brakes from brembo or to brembo but no actual threads on servicing them. Im glad to hear that y'all don't take them to a dealership for service every time. I have changed pads all my life, but this is my wife's car and she wants all service done by the dealership so I usually let her take it. But when I heard the quote for 900 and then a different one for 500 I was shocked.
Oreilly has pads for under 100 front and rear but none specify brembo, I'm not sure that that is important or not.
Just to let everyone know, this car has probably never seen 85 mph with her behind the wheel. So it never gets "raced", as some may.
Again, thanks for the help.
Here is a how to, not sure if pad part # is listed in there somewhere
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=brake
Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM   #16
backeddy

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
adh, do not buy the o'reilly ceramics if you can afford the OEM...Heck I will sell you a low mile set of take offs before you do that!