Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 06-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
plastrd
Indecisive

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Small cheap wheels that clear SS roller skate brakes

It's 90 degrees outside but I'm already trying to think ahead to winter when the Pirellis are going to have to come off in favor of some winter meats.
Essentially I'm looking for the cheapest and smallest wheels I can find that will clear the roller skates on the SS brakes.

Tirerack has these in 19's for $79 a piece. Is there any info from the specs that will give me a hint about whether they'll clear the front brakes? Are there any 18's that will fit?
If I accelerate my upgrade plans and buy some fancy ceramic pads without the roller skate counterweights will all 18's fit then?

Sport Edition ST3 Bright Silver Paint

(Specs in case link doesn't work):
Attached Images

plastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM #1340(app.) 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastrd View Post
It's 90 degrees outside but I'm already trying to think ahead to winter when the Pirellis are going to have to come off in favor of some winter meats.
Essentially I'm looking for the cheapest and smallest wheels I can find that will clear the roller skates on the SS brakes.

Same question here, wondering if anything smaller than 20's would work...
Old 06-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
tyler20c

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro SS/RS
not sure about the wheels but I don't believe the pads have anything to do with the counterweights on the calipers.
tyler20c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Just call Tirerack they should be able to tell you what fits and what does not!!!

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
Gforce8
WFO all the way

Drives: Yellow 1SS/RS
Yes, tirerack has 18's that fit on SS that don't have the counterweights.
Change pads or cut them off if you want to run 18s on SS.
I have no weights on mine (stock).
The wintertires made all the difference.
No problems and a blast to drive
Attached Images

Mods:
Knighlight, Eibach sways and 1"dropsprings, usb PDIM and steering buttons from 2SS,
footwelllights, fogs AAC PW13 with jumper, Trak+ widetrack spacers,
1-4 eliminator, Pedders bushings, subthumb+10" sub with amp, flowmaster axleback and CAI, Barton short shifter, BMR trailing arms, stainless steel brake lines.
Also:
blue metallic painted stripes and yellow interior.
Gforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Nice winter wheels George. I also don't have the goofy counterweights. My

Tirerack 18" pkg with Blizzaks made winter fun again.
Attached Images

JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler20c View Post
not sure about the wheels but I don't believe the pads have anything to do with the counterweights on the calipers.
The new "roller skate" style weights are part of the pads, so switching pads will eliminate them.

Some 18" wheels will fit when the weights are gone - but you really need to test fit them before buying to make sure you still have about 1/2" clearance to the calipers.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
tyler20c

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro SS/RS
are we talking about the weights on top of the caliper? im confused...
tyler20c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
Ol'Fart
why slow down now?

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS L99
Me too, what are "roller skate" style weights? Ans how do I know if I have 'em?
Ol'Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2011 Camaro SS
"Roller Skate" weights were on later builds of the 2010 Camaro. Here is the thread with photos:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58624

Yes, they are part of the brake pads. You need to get new (aftermarket) pads to get rid of them.
Nine Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Fart View Post
Me too, what are "roller skate" style weights? Ans how do I know if I have 'em?
DUDE Sorry, but thanks for the great LAUGH.

I didn't know until George showed me, they are SO UGLY.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
plastrd
Indecisive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
Nice winter wheels George. I also don't have the goofy counterweights. My

Tirerack 18" pkg with Blizzaks made winter fun again.
Jeff, are the wheels in your picture these (Sport Edition F9)? (They look pretty damn close!)
It's a shame Tirerack only has "fewer than 2" in stock on those or I'd snap them up in an instant. I wonder if the other Sport Edition's have a similar inside diameter... I guess the only way I'm going to find out is to buy a set and either have them fit or get screwed.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
CeeJay

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Hey, plastrd... Did you ever get the answer to your original question re: will the 19" wheels noted mount over the roller skate brakes? I know the 18" won't.
CeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
plastrd
Indecisive

Nope :/
I wound up buying two sets of the front 20x8's from the RS package to make my snow package. Overall I think I'll be about $200 over what a clearance set of 19's and tires would have cost from tirerack which sucks but isn't horrible.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Guys if you DO NOT HAVE THE "ROLLER SKATE" design give me a call as I have 18 inch wheels that will fit. We have removed them from the site as Tire Rack thinks this will be to confusing and will cause customer service issues for a lot of customer. You the enthuiast understand the difference or I can help in that as well.

To the OP if you have the roller skate brakes I have a bad feeling those wheels are not going to clear. If they do I would like to know about it. The drop center looks like it will hit on my CAD programming. You would need to change to the older size pad or cut the dampers off the new style pads (This could lead to increased brake noise).

When ordering online please reference "Camaro5" at checkout. This helps to support the forum.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #16
Al

Drives: 2011 SS CGM
News Flash - Some 19"ers will NOT fit without cutting first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack View Post
Guys if you DO NOT HAVE THE "ROLLER SKATE" design give me a call as I have 18 inch wheels that will fit. We have removed them from the site as Tire Rack thinks this will be to confusing and will cause customer service issues for a lot of customer. You the enthuiast understand the difference or I can help in that as well.

To the OP if you have the roller skate brakes I have a bad feeling those wheels are not going to clear. If they do I would like to know about it. The drop center looks like it will hit on my CAD programming. You would need to change to the older size pad or cut the dampers off the new style pads (This could lead to increased brake noise).
Rudy sent me a 19" to test fit and it didn't fit over the "roller skate style" brake pads. Check my pics. I liked the test wheel so much I tried first by cutting the skate wheels almost in half using my sawsall. It takes balls I know, I was actually laughing while running my saw in the driveway on my brand new SS! The second attempt to fit STILL didn't clear! So out came my Dremel (yes a Dremel) and I cut the skate wheels flush off. Wrenched on the wheel and drove down the road no problem!
Attached Images

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
Rudy@Tirerack

^ Good info. I am curious do you notice more brake noise with the dampers off? Most 19's are not going to fit without cutting off the dampers.

When ordering online please reference "Camaro5" at checkout. This helps to support the forum.

Last edited by Rudy@Tirerack; 09-23-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
Al

Quote:
^ Good info. I am curious do you notice more brake noise with the dampers off? Most 19's are not going to fit without cutting off the dampers.
Hey Rudy you da man! Thanks again for helping out. I have cut the dampeners on just the passenger side to test the fitment. I did about forty miles of driving today and there is no noticeable difference with the weights gone. I will be cutting the other side soon, not tomorrow, it supposed to be 85 degrees here in upstate NY! (not good to test snow tires. . . )

I will do a write-up with pics when all is said and done just so no-one will have to spend the countless hours I did !

Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #19
Fraxum

Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Cool! I have been looking for this. I have a 2011 with the roller skates. So first I must change out my front pads to a non roller skate design.

Rudy you can tell me which 18s you have that will fit without the skates? I even have a set of michelin 18 winters i bought from you I can mount.

One other question, maybe someone else will know. I have 235/40 18s, can I tune my speedometer back to true?
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #20
Rudy@Tirerack

^ I can help you with an 18 inch wheel if you cut the dampers off.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #21
Rudy@Tirerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Hey Rudy you da man! Thanks again for helping out. I have cut the dampeners on just the passenger side to test the fitment. I did about forty miles of driving today and there is no noticeable difference with the weights gone. I will be cutting the other side soon, not tomorrow, it supposed to be 85 degrees here in upstate NY! (not good to test snow tires. . . )

I will do a write-up with pics when all is said and done just so no-one will have to spend the countless hours I did !
Sounds great. I am sure this info will help others out!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #22
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2011 Camaro SS
It only takes about 10 minutes per side to change out pads, LOL. I'd not recommend cutting brake pads, just replace them.
Nine Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #23
Al

If you own a dremel all it takes is ten minutes of cutting time per side and you don't have to buy $$$ a thing.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #24
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Not sure if this helps or not, but "Jekyll and Hyde" and myself actually spoke to one of the engineers in Oshawa about the wheel weights and he called them "Mickey Mouse Ears."

The official name is acoustic dampeners. He said only under certain circumstances, like if you put the car away at night, and you get dew, condensation etc.. That is where the Brembo brakes make noise.

The noise wasn't discovered until the car was about to be released. So the wheel weights were added until a more permanent solution could be found.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #25
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce8 View Post
Yes, tirerack has 18's that fit on SS that don't have the counterweights.
Change pads or cut them off if you want to run 18s on SS.
I have no weights on mine (stock).
The wintertires made all the difference.
No problems and a blast to drive
What is your exact set up? Do they rub when you turn the wheel? Looks nice......