Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1998 Riviera White
Polished Alum. wheels and winter

Have a 2011 on order with polished aluminum wheels and after reading threads now know the pol. alum. wheels are clear coated.
My Camaro will be a daily driver including 5-months per year in winter weather and wheels exposed to winter salts and road chemicals. My trade in was a 1996 Chrysler Sebring with clear coated painted wheels. Drove the car for six years in the states, wheels were perfect, but last 3 years here in Canada clear coat painted wheels, paint started to separate and flake. The outer rims were polished alum. but not sure if clear coated.
My concern is how to I protect the clear coat on my stock 2LT clearcoated polished alum. wheels? Do I wax them etc.? When it is -20 F, I can not apply after market treatments or even get the car washed each week.
Any suggestions on how to protect the wheel finish during winter months would be appreciated.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Richie Carbone

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
Apply a couple of layers of a good polymer sealant and it should protect the wheels during the rough winter months.
Richie Carbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
^ +1

You can tell by my sig that I do not know about such winters. But with so many people taking the wheels off for custom wheels, you might want ot pick up an extra set esp if you run winter tires????
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
norton750

Drives: 2010 2LT sumit white
I just got a set of 4 steel camaro wheels on ebay for $100. these are new take offs. thay are 18 inch wheels, so winter studded tires are a lot cheeper than 19 or 20 inch. I probbly paid to much for them. nobody elce bid on them or any other sets on ebay. thay will work good with a full set of studded ice tires
norton750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I tried to get a set of Heritage wheels, but the dealer wanted a lot and I didn't find any good deals. So I went with the Pirelli Scorpion ice and snow tires and put those on my midnight silver rims.

I later found a set of stock SS wheels, and put those on the car. They are almost the same as the polished!

Anyhow, I use REJEX on my wheels. That stuff works really good. I make sure I apply at least two coats of it. Held up quite well in the Michigan winter.

One thing though, if you get the deep wet snow, the 20" wheels have snow that can get inside the wheels and make your ride a bit rough. So make sure to reach in and get that out.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1998 Riviera White
Thanks everyone. Now know what product to use on the wheels this winter.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
Thanks everyone. Now know what product to use on the wheels this winter.
I should mention this. I don't use REJEX in the winter. I had applied two coats of it before the winter I put mine on in October. I also put the stuff on my summer wheels, and have a real nice look to them. It keeps the brake dust off.

I even saw Rejex recommended for the wheels on the Adams forums

It's real good stuff and lasts awhile. But that stuff is an easy to use polymer based sealant. Here in the US, the only place I could find to buy it was True value hardware store