Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
chozn4service
Five-O

Drives: 2011 2SSRS RJT
Trunk light bulb removal

I've done the search mod on how to do this and nothing came up.

Trying replace the bulb with a LED. I've done the dome and license plate bulbs and this is the last one to remove. I have it out and see there is some sort of metal clip over the bulb but I don't see it pulls up or the bulb just slides out. What I do know is the bulb get hotter than shigady!

Anyway, if some can advise I'd appreciate it!
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
If I remember correctly there is a little indention on the plastic cover to stick a flathead in. Just pry out from there. If there isn't and I'm wrong just pry from one of the smaller sides and it comes out pretty easy. Yes it gets hot fast so work quickly haha
ackeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
TK

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
Hmm, i just ordered a set of those bulbs from AAC so I decided to go out to the car, i can't even figure out how to get the interior bulb changed hah, the first step says to remove the switch cover but i can't seem to "pop" it out without ****ing up the plastic, is there a good side to pry from?
TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeight View Post
If I remember correctly there is a little indention on the plastic cover to stick a flathead in. Just pry out from there. If there isn't and I'm wrong just pry from one of the smaller sides and it comes out pretty easy. Yes it gets hot fast so work quickly haha
He's not talking about that. The housing restricts your fingers from getting around the actual bulb.

I used needlenose pliers wrapped with the same material as the rubber that helps your remove jar tops. (That non-slip rubber material).

You can always pull the fuse or disconnect the battery so the light doesn't light...it's only hot when it's lit
Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
LadiesMan217

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
Hmm, i just ordered a set of those bulbs from AAC so I decided to go out to the car, i can't even figure out how to get the interior bulb changed hah, the first step says to remove the switch cover but i can't seem to "pop" it out without ****ing up the plastic, is there a good side to pry from?
Just be careful...it pops out rather easily. A small flathead worked fine.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
TK

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
Just be careful...it pops out rather easily. A small flathead worked fine.
Thank you, got both out without a hitch.
TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
chozn4service
Five-O

Drives: 2011 2SSRS RJT
The dome light was easy. Just pry it on each end and it comes out but that trunk light was another issue. First you need to leave the trunk open until the light goes out so it's cool to touch, then take a screw driver and push the contact end out towards you. I have my LED's installed and all looks good good! I have LEDs at my entry lighting up the Camaro sill plate and footwells and now the dome, trunk and license plate with LEDs. Paid like $28 bucks for my four 5202 bulbs.
The total look is awesome!
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
thebighar

Drives: 2010 1LT CGM RS/CC
I read these posts to take out my trunk light and had to laugh at some of you after i did it, seems i got lucky. I pulled the plastic plate off and yes the bulb is hotter than the sun, but if you keep pulling you can pull the excess wire out and you can see that you can unclip part of the housing and just pull the bulb out with part of the housing attached. Take the bulb out a minute later when it cools and put the new bulb in and snap the housing back together, then just snap the plate back on.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
LadiesMan217

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebighar View Post
I read these posts to take out my trunk light and had to laugh at some of you after i did it, seems i got lucky. I pulled the plastic plate off and yes the bulb is hotter than the sun, but if you keep pulling you can pull the excess wire out and you can see that you can unclip part of the housing and just pull the bulb out with part of the housing attached. Take the bulb out a minute later when it cools and put the new bulb in and snap the housing back together, then just snap the plate back on.
Hehe, I replaced mine while I had the battery disconnected putting in the Knightlight. Can't get hot if no power is getting to it :-)
Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
The dome light was easy. Just pry it on each end and it comes out but that trunk light was another issue. First you need to leave the trunk open until the light goes out so it's cool to touch, then take a screw driver and push the contact end out towards you. I have my LED's installed and all looks good good! I have LEDs at my entry lighting up the Camaro sill plate and footwells and now the dome, trunk and license plate with LEDs. Paid like $28 bucks for my four 5202 bulbs.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
CamaroVision

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeight View Post

You can push in the 2 'prong' like things on the trunk lid (eye level or something like that, the pin things sticking out on the left and right side of the escape-pull thingy. Pushing those to prong/pin things in turns the trunk light off, or just one I don't remember....but then push it out from the bottom with a screwdriver or something.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
wangtangjf7

Drives: CGM LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
Are you talking about the inside dome light? if so, the best side is the side closest to the window and pop out the right corner first. once, you've done that, the rest is really easy to get off.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
johnriganati

Drives: 2013 SS/RS BLACK WITH INFERNO ORANG
Send a message via Yahoo to johnriganati
how long does the trunk have to stay open before the light goes out??
johnriganati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
johnriganati

Drives: 2013 SS/RS BLACK WITH INFERNO ORANG
Send a message via Yahoo to johnriganati
riggzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
how long did the trunk have to stay open for the light to go out??
johnriganati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #15
Adrian97c

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
AAC red led aren't that bright... Hopefully it'll look brighter in the dome light.
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-Subthump 12"kit & BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted sidemarkers

Previous cars:
2011 Kia Optima SX T-GDI
2010 Mercedes C-300 Sport
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #16
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnriganati View Post
how long did the trunk have to stay open for the light to go out??
It is about 7 minutes. I just opened up the trunk and went inside for 10 or so and when I came out it was off and cool.

This is what I got http://www.southerncarparts.com/2010...ng-p-4226.html
Forgestar F14s, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, DBA Series Gold Hat XS Drilled and Slotted Rotors , Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, Magna Flow cat back exhaust, CAI Cold Air, Painted Heritage Grill, Ducted Street scene lower grill, Technostalgia LED Tail Lights, Lite-Right LED All in One Harness and 5k DRLs, Diode Dynamics cup holder and foot well lights, Oracle mail slot scanner, Wheel well lights, Emblem Pros lighted under hood bowtie, Billet interior and engine bay upgrades, Ghost Armor, Lloyd's interior and trunk carpet

Last edited by LnLSS; 03-25-2014 at 07:32 PM.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote