Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
How does the GM Supplier Discount work?

Hey guys,

I just started my new job today and had new hire orientation. They started talking about all of the corporate discounts we get and one of them was the GM Supplier Discount. It did not list exactly what this discount consisted of or how it works though.

Does anyone know if you get a certain percentage off, or is it a certain percentage over invoice?

Can you use it on new models (ie Camaro )?

Any info from someone who has used it in the past would be great.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:40 AM   #2
unkbd
 
unkbd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 271
I work at a GM plant and I still don't know if they are going to let me use the discount I am eligible for or not. Sometimes on a new hot model they won't let us use our employee discount right away.
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 4,015
My brother receives this on several makes of vehicles, including 'The Big Three'. (lucky ba@tard)

I've only gone with him once a few years back when he was ordering a vehicle. One VERY important thing...DO NOT let the salesperson know you have that at the time you are negotiating. Wait until you get the best possible deal, and then let them know you have this discount.

In my brothers case, I believe they issue him a certificate which he presents at the dealership.

It may not apply to all models either, re; Corvette, new Camaro...not sure.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
stevenm357
 
Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 380
Ok, not sure if i have exactly the same discount. but I just became a GMAC real estate agent. the program works that you can only get one new car every 6 months on it. except certain cars ( solstice Corvette) must be retained for 2 years. You can be the only person listed as the cars owner.

I plan to use it to buy the new camaro. and i know the dealer well.. I'm quite sure they will cut me a good deal after i explain to them the kind of advertising it will be for them.

If you have any questions on the car discount program, please call 800-274-2366. (this is the number listed in my new company info packet)

also if there is anything else i can do to help feel free to contact me here or via email/IM
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Wait until you get the best possible deal, and then let them know you have this discount.
Very good point!
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
Ok, not sure if i have exactly the same discount. but I just became a GMAC real estate agent. the program works that you can only get one new car every 6 months on it. except certain cars ( solstice Corvette) must be retained for 2 years. You can be the only person listed as the cars owner.

I plan to use it to buy the new camaro. and i know the dealer well.. I'm quite sure they will cut me a good deal after i explain to them the kind of advertising it will be for them.

If you have any questions on the car discount program, please call 800-274-2366. (this is the number listed in my new company info packet)

also if there is anything else i can do to help feel free to contact me here or via email/IM

Yeah, I think that is the same one I am refering to. I guess no one actually knows what kind of discount you actually get though?
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
That's why they give it to you...You know it's there, but you don't know how to use it
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
stevenm357
 
Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 380
I figure it's different for every car.

I'm not exactly sure how the discount plays into the haggling process. I would definitely deal with the sales manager not the average joe salesman.

I honestly can't afford to buy a new car at this point so i don't exactly know how much it is.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
CamaroLovers
Chevy Luv
 
CamaroLovers's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevrolet
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 24
https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/ip-gmsupplier/
click on FAQ on the top

gotta love the search engines
__________________
Camaros We've Owned:
1999 NBM SS
1993 Black Z28
1986 IROC
1988 Camaro w/LS1
2001 Black Z28
CamaroLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #10
alleykt123
err… MEOW!
 
alleykt123's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 422
Send a message via AIM to alleykt123 Send a message via Yahoo to alleykt123
Wow!

I'm REALLY diigin' your avatar!
__________________
2005 GTO - Phantom Black Metallic Red A4 1 of 286


Quote:
Motorcycle Cop: Whatcha got in the trunk?
J. Frank Parnell: Oh... You don't wanna look in there.

Repo Man
alleykt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #11
Kahlis
Gotta love this shit!
 
Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroLovers View Post


Alright,.. so who has a company code?
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:45 AM   #12
ClevelandPlasma
 
ClevelandPlasma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Ford Raptor
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkbd View Post
I work at a GM plant and I still don't know if they are going to let me use the discount I am eligible for or not. Sometimes on a new hot model they won't let us use our employee discount right away.
Never heard of anything like that. Many members of my family work at GM. I would hold out for a prep car or are they called pep cars.....you know about those cars I am sure right? (The list they have at the GM plants for cars that were used by the big shots for 3000-9000 miles, and about 33%-45% off )
ClevelandPlasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:54 AM   #13
unkbd
 
unkbd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 271
They are pep cars.....don't hold your breath for one of those though....you might as well be staking out the north pole for signs of santa.
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #14
dgraves
 
dgraves's Avatar
 
Drives: Avalanche
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 34
A company code won't do you any good Kahlis, you also have to have an account username and password.
I have used the GM Supplier discount, on average you save about $2000 - $3000. I have seen Corvettes that the supplier discount was nearly $8000. You can log on and search dealer inventory and look at the supplier price. You can also share the discount... the following is directly from the gm site.

Now, every time you purchase a new GM vehicle with your GM Supplier Discount, you can pass along supplier pricing to a friend or family member for up to one year from your vehicle purchase date.

How does it work?
After you purchase your new GM vehicle, you will receive a confirmation email stating that you're eligible to pass along the savings to a friend or family member. Then, follow the steps below:

Gather your referral's date of birth, the last four digits of their Social Security number and your Company Code
Select "Obtain Authorization" under "Share Your Discount" from the left navigation bar and follow the prompts
Once you obtain an authorization number, your friend or family member will have six months to use it

Last edited by dgraves; 08-14-2007 at 08:34 AM.
dgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #15
dgraves
 
dgraves's Avatar
 
Drives: Avalanche
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 34
here's a screen shot of what the window sticker looks like online. you can see the supplier price on this Silverado.
Attached Files
File Type: doc windowsticker.doc (91.5 KB, 3137 views)
dgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #16
ClevelandPlasma
 
ClevelandPlasma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Ford Raptor
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 187
Usually it is about 9%-12%.........

I was thinking last night that I would not buy untill the weather broke in '08. No sence in buying a car to store in a garage :(
ClevelandPlasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #17
Kimosen
Insider Informant
 
Drives: 2003 Sunfire
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
One VERY important thing...DO NOT let the salesperson know you have that at the time you are negotiating. Wait until you get the best possible deal, and then let them know you have this discount.

It may not apply to all models either, re; Corvette, new Camaro...not sure.
I'm a sales consultant at a Chevrolet dealership, and I can tell you that this is actually largely pointless, and won't get you a better discount.

The GM supplier discount is a pre-negotiated price that's listed on the invoice of every car. The dealer is contractually obligated to sell the car at that price, and cannot change it one cent. If we sell the car for more, and we get audited by GM (which we do), we have to send out refund checks to our customers.

All this is basically the roundabout way of saying that the supplier discount is fixed, and listed on the invoice.
Kimosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #18
ClevelandPlasma
 
ClevelandPlasma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Ford Raptor
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 187
^^^^ That is what I was told by many dealers, however that is why I look for the best price for the trade !!
ClevelandPlasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #19
Kimosen
Insider Informant
 
Drives: 2003 Sunfire
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandPlasma View Post
^^^^ That is what I was told by many dealers, however that is why I look for the best price for the trade !!
This is definitely the way to go. If we are working supplier, it annoys us if there isn't a trade-in, because there's nothing we can do to change it. On that front, definitely make sure you're getting a good deal.

On a side note, don't tell a dealer what another dealer is giving you for your trade, it never helps. One, we figure you're lying, which you may or may not be doing, two, it cuts your knees out from under you if we were going to give you MORE than that. Now we'll only beat it by $250 or so.
Kimosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #20
DILLIGAF
 
DILLIGAF's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Hummer H3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western NY
Posts: 30
as far as i know there are two different discounts, GM supplier, and GM Employee. unless im talking out my rear, and im just thinking of a deal that my company had worked out with local dealers which was less of a discount than i would get for using my grandfathers employee discount.
__________________
DILLIGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #21
deluke
 
Drives: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ct
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosen View Post
I'm a sales consultant at a Chevrolet dealership, and I can tell you that this is actually largely pointless, and won't get you a better discount.

The GM supplier discount is a pre-negotiated price that's listed on the invoice of every car. The dealer is contractually obligated to sell the car at that price, and cannot change it one cent. If we sell the car for more, and we get audited by GM (which we do), we have to send out refund checks to our customers.

All this is basically the roundabout way of saying that the supplier discount is fixed, and listed on the invoice.
I agree it is figured out by GM. Also the Dealerships don't have to take the discount on a hot car. I didn't get my employee friend and Family on my 2007 Solstice GXP.
deluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #22
Kept-a-rollin
 
Kept-a-rollin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS ABM/Grey/A6/Sunr
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Boylston, MA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosen View Post
I'm a sales consultant at a Chevrolet dealership, and I can tell you that this is actually largely pointless, and won't get you a better discount.

The GM supplier discount is a pre-negotiated price that's listed on the invoice of every car. The dealer is contractually obligated to sell the car at that price, and cannot change it one cent. If we sell the car for more, and we get audited by GM (which we do), we have to send out refund checks to our customers.

All this is basically the roundabout way of saying that the supplier discount is fixed, and listed on the invoice.
This info ... "The dealer is contractually obligated to sell the car at that price, and cannot change it one cent. If we sell the car for more, and we get audited by GM (which we do), we have to send out refund checks to our customers." ... is not consistent with what I've been told. I've been told dealers are not obligated to honor supplier pricing and most will not on a hot car like the Camaro. The 2LT RS I'm pricing for order is MSRP: $31,205; Supplier price: $30,099. This is $1,106 under MSRP but still $527 over invoice. I've spoken with 3 dealers and I don't think any of them will honor this price. Is there a difference in the dealer obligation to honor supplier pricing when it is a car on the lot vs. when you are placing an order? And does the dealer eat the entire $1,106 discount or does GM kick back on this somehow? Thanks for your help.
__________________
Order No. NQRF51 2LT RS ABM/ Gray Int/ A6/ Sunroof
1100 - preliminary order accepted 10-30-09 Best Chevrolet, Hingham, MA
XXXX- abandoned order; bought same car at Durand Chevrolet 11-10-09 Woohoo!!! 2G1FC1EVXA9159071
2500 - order preferenced 11-11-09
3000 - order accepted by production control 11-18-09 TPW 12-14-09
3300 - order scheduled for production 12-9-09
3400 - order broadcast 12-15-09
3800 - order produced 12-18-09 My orig order actually did get built! 2G1FC1EVXA9179031

Kept-a-rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #23
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache
 
jrboyd_1980's Avatar
 
Drives: Everything
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
My brother receives this on several makes of vehicles, including 'The Big Three'. (lucky ba@tard)

I've only gone with him once a few years back when he was ordering a vehicle. One VERY important thing...DO NOT let the salesperson know you have that at the time you are negotiating. Wait until you get the best possible deal, and then let them know you have this discount.

In my brothers case, I believe they issue him a certificate which he presents at the dealership.

It may not apply to all models either, re; Corvette, new Camaro...not sure.
Just saw this post and know its a little late. It doesn't matter how good of a deal you negotiate, the Supplier Discount will be lower. Dealerships don't have the room to give you the Supplier Discount and much more dealer discounts. Dealers only get 3% of invoice back for GSU (supplier discounts) which you are talking like 1000 dollars
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #24
linton23
 
Drives: 1996 Honda ACE
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kept-a-rollin View Post
This info ... "The dealer is contractually obligated to sell the car at that price, and cannot change it one cent. If we sell the car for more, and we get audited by GM (which we do), we have to send out refund checks to our customers." ... is not consistent with what I've been told. I've been told dealers are not obligated to honor supplier pricing and most will not on a hot car like the Camaro. The 2LT RS I'm pricing for order is MSRP: $31,205; Supplier price: $30,099. This is $1,106 under MSRP but still $527 over invoice. I've spoken with 3 dealers and I don't think any of them will honor this price. Is there a difference in the dealer obligation to honor supplier pricing when it is a car on the lot vs. when you are placing an order? And does the dealer eat the entire $1,106 discount or does GM kick back on this somehow? Thanks for your help.
On a Supplier deal we do not have to take it its our car and its our choice if we would like to accept the deal. My dealer has always been willing to do it except on High demand cars and trucks. I just sold our 2SS camaro at supplier because it was on the lot for 2 weeks. GM does compensate us 2% for doing supplier deals so in many cases for us its better than an normal deal. If you want to do supplier tell the dealer up front or after its up to you but understand this once you tell the dealer suppler there is not much room to haggle. With many dealers in IMR programs for advertising now we are seeing many invoices that have an invoice price higher than supplier price this would be another reason why some will trun it down. One of the funniest things we have happen in our dealership is when someone comes in to haggle a price we get done and then they say oh by the way I have a supplier discount how much more do you take off? I get to say oh well the supplier price is $XXX over the deal we made I would be happy to raise the price if you like. If anyone comes to our store that gets supplier I pull the invoice I show the customer and we figure the tax tag and rebates up do the deal that easy. Do not expect retail for your trade in because we have do that price on the deal we can not do better than ACV ( actual cash value) on your trade many customers get upset at this. The customers that do supplier all the time know this and are not to upset. The ones that come in and go to one store get sticker price lees trade then come here remember the supplier discount then see $2000 or so difference in what they are shown for the trade and go balistic.
linton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #25
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cedarburg, WI
Posts: 6,805
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
<~~~~Never was a game playing dealer. We said back in July 2008 we would honor ALL DISCOUNTS....not just now when the cars are becoming a little more available. High demand or not, you've EARNED IT. I've even HELPED people get the credit union discount to save them money. Part of being a Camaro Enthusiast instead of just being another salesman. I can't wait until Camaro-tober!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Day Back to Work! 3whiterag Off-topic Discussions 12 02-01-2007 01:42 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.