Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
2010IBMSS
 
2010IBMSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro SS RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: (915) TX
Posts: 646
HID bulb replacement...

Have any of you upgraded the stock HID bulb on the RS model type headlight? I am talking about stock replacement, not a halo kit or anything else. I want to change mine out to 6000K, just curious who has done it and how easy/hard it is to change it out.

Is there a DIY anyone can post? I have searched without avail....
2010IBMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
v6sonoma


 
v6sonoma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 8,078
If you scroll down on the home page they had a post of a schematic of the whole car. That might help you. I'm pretty sure it's not to difficult.
__________________

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
2010IBMSS
 
2010IBMSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro SS RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: (915) TX
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
If you scroll down on the home page they had a post of a schematic of the whole car. That might help you. I'm pretty sure it's not to difficult.
thats a parts reference guide, thanks!

but, I want to know who has changed out their bulbs and was it easy or hard to do so...what entails in the removal and replacement of the bulb?
2010IBMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
daphatgrant
June '10
 
daphatgrant's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Upstate NY (FingerLakes)
Posts: 2,397
__________________
RJT, 2SS/RS, M6, Black Int, Sunroof.


(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
chozn4service
Five-O
 
chozn4service's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SSRS A6 RJT
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: +34° 55' 19.15", -117° 53' 22.43"
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010IBMSS View Post
Have any of you upgraded the stock HID bulb on the RS model type headlight? I am talking about stock replacement, not a halo kit or anything else. I want to change mine out to 6000K, just curious who has done it and how easy/hard it is to change it out.

Is there a DIY anyone can post? I have searched without avail....


Not sure what you're asking? If you don't have an RS package and want to make the lights brighter like HID, here is a link where a member changed from halogens to LEDs and it gives the HID appearance and I'm sure it's brighter than stock but again, I'm not sure if this is what you're trying to do or make a RS package brighter than what it is now. You may want use the search feature and put in HID upgrade.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...headlight+leds
__________________
"Praise The Lowered"
SLP Catback Exhaust, CAI intake, ARH LT Headers, VMax Ported TB, BTR Stage II Cam, DSE lowering springs w/ZL1-1LE conversion. 450rwhp/423rwtq
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
MyIBMssRS

 
Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/12 RAV4
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
Not sure what you're asking? If you don't have an RS package and want to make the lights brighter like HID, here is a link where a member changed from halogens to LEDs and it gives the HID appearance and I'm sure it's brighter than stock but again, I'm not sure if this is what you're trying to do or make a RS package brighter than what it is now. You may want use the search feature and put in HID upgrade.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...headlight+leds
He wants to make the stock HIDs brighter. Not sure why though, they're fine the way they are.
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson
 
Shuffler's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,090
Stock are only 4800k. He wants to replace with 6000k. The 6000k is whiter.

I do not have the RS so other than clarifying the above, I'm unable to help.

You might try calling the folks at AAC (Justin or Andy) and asking this question. You can PM them on these boards too.
__________________
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
2010IBMSS
 
2010IBMSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro SS RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: (915) TX
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
Not sure what you're asking? If you don't have an RS package and want to make the lights brighter like HID
I do have the RS package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIBMssRS View Post
He wants to make the stock HIDs brighter.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIBMssRS View Post
Not sure why though, they're fine the way they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Stock are only 4800k. He wants to replace with 6000k. The 6000k is whiter.
Thank you for the clarification.....
2010IBMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl
 
CamaroSkooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,660
6000k isn't any "brighter" than 4800k, it's just a different color intensity, meaning it changes the hue of color emenating from the bulb.

Some people think 4800k looks good, others think 6000k is a better white. It's all a matter of preference.

Both are very close in actual lumen output. So one is not "brighter" than the other, per se.

__________________

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson
 
Shuffler's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
6000k isn't any "brighter" than 4800k, it's just a different color intensity, meaning it changes the hue of color emenating from the bulb.

Some people think 4800k looks good, others think 6000k is a better white. It's all a matter of preference.

Both are very close in actual lumen output. So one is not "brighter" than the other, per se.

Correct.... "whiter". Move up to 8000k and get a very slight blue.

I've noticed that no matter which lights you have, if you turn them off... it gets dark.
__________________
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl
 
CamaroSkooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,660
I don't believe it! I'll have to go see for myself...

Oh, and OP, check out this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=632917

Post #20 has information about bulb type needed (hint, D1S)

The guys at BFXenon may be able to help you find the bulb you're looking for too
__________________

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
2010IBMSS
 
2010IBMSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro SS RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: (915) TX
Posts: 646
Yes, it is a D1S bulb, I just want them to match the AAC LED's (drls) since Jonathan at AAC said they were at 8000K....I figured 6000K would be ok without loosing too much light on the road. The higher the Kelvin, the cooler they look but the less light on the road. 4000K-6000K is not much of a difference but they do look a little more bluish....that's what I'm going for.

Guys this is my Personal preference before anyone starts bashing...if you don't like it yourself, that's cool. I'm not asking anyone to modify/change anything on their car. Just a note.....
2010IBMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet
 
GearHeadPeter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010IBMSS View Post
Yes, it is a D1S bulb, I just want them to match the AAC LED's (drls) since Jonathan at AAC said they were at 8000K....I figured 6000K would be ok without loosing too much light on the road. The higher the Kelvin, the cooler they look but the less light on the road. 4000K-6000K is not much of a difference but they do look a little more bluish....that's what I'm going for.

Guys this is my Personal preference before anyone starts bashing...if you don't like it yourself, that's cool. I'm not asking anyone to modify/change anything on their car. Just a note.....
I have found that the higher the 'K' rating the less light there is to illuminate the road due to the color shift. Stock HIDs are 4300K and if you go to 8000K you will have less light (more bluish) on the road to drive with, and might get a ticket. Again just me 2 cents for what it is worth.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
2010IBMSS
 
2010IBMSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro SS RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: (915) TX
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
I have found that the higher the 'K' rating the less light there is to illuminate the road due to the color shift. Stock HIDs are 4300K and if you go to 8000K you will have less light (more bluish) on the road to drive with, and might get a ticket. Again just me 2 cents for what it is worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010IBMSS View Post
I figured 6000K would be ok without loosing too much light on the road. The higher the Kelvin, the cooler they look but the less light on the road. 4000K-6000K is not much of a difference but they do look a little more bluish....that's what I'm going for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post

Some people think 4800k looks good, others think 6000k is a better white. It's all a matter of preference.

2010IBMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro RS HID Bulb Size alexice1421 Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 23 04-18-2011 03:29 PM
daytime running lamps HID bulb replacement topgun1 Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 5 03-13-2010 10:59 PM
RS HID bulb type HaZe_X Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 13 02-24-2010 01:32 PM
5202 (H16 ; 9009) Slim HID Kits !!! 09-Up Camaro Fog Light HID kits !!! HID_Guy Exterior Parts & Accessories 19 09-08-2009 01:07 AM
HID replacement cost rayhawk 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 10 09-21-2008 08:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.