Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
tom692010
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 1,404
20-`18 tire change issues

I put on nitto on an 18" rim I normally run 20" for racing only. When I drive 5 miniutes thought all the gauges come on . Was I supposed to do something when I install the 18"?
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
ROD1
Back to the hunt....
 
ROD1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
I put on nitto on an 18" rim I normally run 20" for racing only. When I drive 5 miniutes thought all the gauges come on . Was I supposed to do something when I install the 18"?
Same happens to me. The size difference front to back fakes the sensors into thinking that the rears are slipping. Even with trak/stabil off you get the xmas tree on the dash after awhile. Nothin you can do that I know of. Were you able to get the malfunction light off the dash some way. I found that the only way was to retune the car or put the 20s back on and drive it. I wonder if it bothers anything having the malf light on. I read somewhere on here that some guy was bracket racing and his car went nuts on his last pass and he almost lost control after making several passes with the malf light on..
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
2SSCAMARO

 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 786
You should be able to run the 18" wheels without problems provided you use the proper tire size to equal the 28.7 inch height of the stock 20" wheels with 275-40-20 tires. See the tire and wheel combination heights in this forum.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
tom692010
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Same happens to me. The size difference front to back fakes the sensors into thinking that the rears are slipping. Even with trak/stabil off you get the xmas tree on the dash after awhile. Nothin you can do that I know of. Were you able to get the malfunction light off the dash some way. I found that the only way was to retune the car or put the 20s back on and drive it. I wonder if it bothers anything having the malf light on. I read somewhere on here that some guy was bracket racing and his car went nuts on his last pass and he almost lost control after making several passes with the malf light on..
Once I threw 20"s back on everything was normal again.
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
ROD1
Back to the hunt....
 
ROD1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
You should be able to run the 18" wheels without problems provided you use the proper tire size to equal the 28.7 inch height of the stock 20" wheels with 275-40-20 tires. See the tire and wheel combination heights in this forum.
Yupper but then ur giving back all the gear ratio you gained!
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
2SSCAMARO

 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
I put on nitto on an 18" rim I normally run 20" for racing only. When I drive 5 miniutes thought all the gauges come on . Was I supposed to do something when I install the 18"?
Did you run the same type nittos on the 20" rim also and if so how much et improvement did the 18" wheels do?
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
600hp-lpe


 
600hp-lpe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS RJT MN6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 4,701
you need 18's on the front too.. if the fronts and rears are the same height there is no light issue.

The different size front / rear is raising havoc with the stabilitrac.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS RJT 6SP
600 HP Lingenfelter package 526 RWHP 491 RWTRQ
Pedders Justice package with Z-bar and supercar coilovers
LPE ZR-1 twin disc Clutch, LPE rear w/3.73 gears
NHRA cert. 8.50 CM 10 point roll cage, Cobra racing Seats
Gforce 5 PT. Harnesses, MOMO steering wheel and pedals
285/35/19 Bridgestone RE-11 Tires, CCW 19X10 SP16A Wheels
315/30/18 Front, 335/30/18 Rear Hoosier tires, CCW C2K Wheels
Racing Brake Rotors, stainless lines, MT800 Brake pads
HD Rear Axles, Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Lower Control Arms
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
HJ's Garage
 
HJ's Garage's Avatar
 
Drives: Black on Black 2SS RS A6
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 71
What type and size of 18" rim did you use? I am looking to mount a set of Nitto 305/45 drag radials on 18x10 rims of some sort. That keeps the tire diameter at 28.8" and gives it some tire wall to work with.
HJ's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What song are you listening to right now Muscle Master Off-topic Discussions 6065 Yesterday 01:32 AM
Ruined Tire scott53 Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 10 05-20-2010 07:00 PM
Bridgestone RE11 Performance Tire Review Info@PeddersUSA.com Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 4 12-28-2009 10:58 PM
500.00 per perelli tire not a myth! AVman Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 51 10-20-2009 03:45 PM
Obama Climate Change Advisers Holdren and Lubchenco Are Told Global Warming Is Over bigralph Off-topic Discussions 15 02-06-2009 07:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.