Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Cleaning up the oil spill, enlightenment by hillbillies!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
you know the first thing they shoulda done to fix the leak is wrap a wedding ring around the well.

because it woulda stopped putting out!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Shardik2SS
How U Doin?

Drives: #21,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
you know the first thing they shoulda done to fix the leak is wrap a wedding ring around the well.

because it woulda stopped putting out!
Shardik2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Buy your own toxic tar ball on ebay

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Buy your own toxic tar ball on ebay

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Easy way to make money haha
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icandrivejustnotlegally View Post
Easy way to make money haha
Gotta be some legality issues with shipping.........
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
5thGenCamaroChick
Hey y'all :)

Drives: Rosalee
Us hillbillies ain't as dumb as folks like to peg us for.

Seriously, hay is a cheap, environmentally friendly alternative that would actually remove the oil from the gulf, as opposed to scattering/sinking it with synthetic dispersant. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
wow very interesting. i would have never thought of that. and yeah they should use the hay. like he said it wont sink it will just float to shore and you can still pick it up.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
That is a dayam good idea!
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
dmiller66
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '13 2SS/RS, Blue Ray Metallic, Auto
Well, once they study the properties of the hay/oil mixture, have about 50 PHD dissertations written on it, studied every possible side effect of the extra hay in the water, looked at all the lawsuits brought about by the other types of hay that were not used and fought off the lawsuits from so called oil clean up companies maybe then something like this could be utilized. Of course by that time people will say: "What oil spill?"
dmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenCamaroChick View Post
Seriously, hay is a cheap, environmentally friendly alternative that would actually remove the oil from the gulf, as opposed to scattering/sinking it with synthetic dispersant. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Besides the fact that there is a nation wide hay and straw shortage and the amount of hay required for this task is more then the amount of hay/straw currently in the US. Doing so would cause the near extinction of all domestic animals in the US that requires hay/straw to survive. This sounds like a great idea to me, how about you?
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Ya hay floats when it's dry. Cover it in a tar ball and see if it stays any where near the surface...
Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
Ya hay floats when it's dry. Cover it in a tar ball and see if it stays any where near the surface...
oil floats on top of water

according to the video, hay floats on top of water

what makes you think when you have hay and oil combined it won't float

Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
In this case, not all the oil is floating. Crude has different densities, sometimes it's lighter than water, sometimes it's more dense. That's why we're seeing large underwater plumes. We already have the ability to clean up the stuff that's on the surface and/or contain it. It's the stuff that's in under water currents that's sneaking by and making it to the coasts etc.

just because they both float, doesn't mean the combination of the two will float. That's like saying anyone that weighs as much as a duck is a witch because witches burn and wood burns, and ducks and wood float..... etc etc.

I didn't watch the video because online players are disabled here at work, but there are a few holes in that plan.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
They had this on our local news when they did it.

It's great that there are people trying to get proactive and find a plan of action instead of sit around a bitch about it. There will be time for bitching later.

But I doubt we have enough hay or hair to soak up that much oil. There are more effective methods.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2013 Audi Q5 Prestige 3.0T MBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
They had this on our local news when they did it.

It's great that there are people trying to get proactive and find a plan of action instead of sit around a bitch about it. There will be time for bitching later.

But I doubt we have enough hay or hair to soak up that much oil. There are more effective methods.
So you'd rather find a way of automatically picking this stuff up?

Manually doing it may be the only way, because it's faster.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #17
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
I think this would be a good way to get the oil thats near the top. But two things to think about:

1) nothing will be worth the time until the leaking oil is stopped.

2) as said before, unprocessed oil is not always less dense than water. So, don't expect this to be a magic "fix it" solution. It could get some of the oil, but not all of it.
- X

P.S. - PQ, we have a LOT of hay. And the capability of producing a lot more of it very quickly. Personally, I think its a good idea that merits considering, keeping in mind the two points above.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
So you'd rather find a way of automatically picking this stuff up?

Manually doing it may be the only way, because it's faster.
In this case, automatic would definately be quicker. hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
I think this would be a good way to get the oil thats near the top. But two things to think about:

1) nothing will be worth the time until the leaking oil is stopped.

2) as said before, unprocessed oil is not always less dense than water. So, don't expect this to be a magic "fix it" solution. It could get some of the oil, but not all of it.
- X

P.S. - PQ, we have a LOT of hay. And the capability of producing a lot more of it very quickly. Personally, I think its a good idea that merits considering, keeping in mind the two points above.
You think it would be cost effective? You'd need to haul it by the truck load. Then disperse it, then skim it, then haul it away. As opposed to skiming straight from the source and hauling away. From what I understand, they have on site skimmers that don't need hay.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #19
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
In this case, automatic would definately be quicker. hahahaha

You think it would be cost effective? You'd need to haul it by the truck load. Then disperse it, then skim it, then haul it away. As opposed to skiming straight from the source and hauling away. From what I understand, they have on site skimmers that don't need hay.
I honestly don't know whether it would be as cost effective. How many times would you need to skim without hay vs with hay? How much time would it save (also a big factor)? There are a lot of variables.
- X
Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
5thGenCamaroChick
Hey y'all :)

Drives: Rosalee
I don't see how cost effectiveness plays a part in this, really. I don't care how much it costs BP to clean this mess up. If they were to find diamonds are the most effective means of removing oil from water then I expect BP to spend every last penny mining diamonds until the gulf is clean, even if the CEOs have to sell their watches to fund it.

As for the hay shortage I'll say 2 things: 1.There are many different types of hay that can't be used as animal feed that could possibly used in this situation and 2. You said "nationwide" hay shortage. BP can buy it somewhere else and bring it over. Don't tell me they'll go bankrupt, we're talking about a HUGE oil company with MEGA deep pockets.

About the below surface oil - how about encasing the hay in something like a giant mesh pillowcase and using weights to suspend it below the surface into the current for a while, then picking it up with ships. Kindof like a giant lobster trap, only on a larger, more sophisticated scale?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #21
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
I honestly don't know whether it would be as cost effective. How many times would you need to skim without hay vs with hay? How much time would it save (also a big factor)? There are a lot of variables.
- X
From what I've read (I know, not everything you read is true) they have skimmers that can pick up oil at a rate of 67 thousand barrels per day running efficiently. And they have a number of them. Like you, I don't know.

Quote:
I don't see how cost effectiveness plays a part in this, really. I don't care how much it costs BP to clean this mess up.

Don't tell me they'll go bankrupt, we're talking about a HUGE oil company with MEGA deep pockets.
Cost effectiveness will come into play when BP files bankruptcy and stops paying all together. (Have you seen the trade value right now in Europe?) Then you and me and the rest of us get to pay for it. Which is also why the BP boycott is so stupid. It takes money straight out of the private American business owners pocket AND puts BP closer to colapse. You may think BP has all the money in the world, but if they file for BR then they don't pay anything anymore.

Cost effectiveness is definately an important factor.

Quote:
New York Times financial reporter Andrew Ross Sorkin notes that many industry watchers doubt BP can survive. Rivals Exxon and Shell are already circling like buzzards in anticipation that the company may stagger into oblivion. Or, as Sorkin puts it, they're "licking their chops" hoping to acquire a BP in bankruptcy: "Flinty legal minds are dreaming up scenarios in which BP would file a prepackaged bankruptcy and separate the costs of clean-up — and potentially billions of dollars in legal claims — into a separate corporate entity."
Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #22
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
I don't see how cost effectiveness plays a part in this, really. I don't care how much it costs BP to clean this mess up. If they were to find diamonds are the most effective means of removing oil from water then I expect BP to spend every last penny mining diamonds until the gulf is clean, even if the CEOs have to sell their watches to fund it.

As for the hay shortage I'll say 2 things: 1.There are many different types of hay that can't be used as animal feed that could possibly used in this situation and 2. You said "nationwide" hay shortage. BP can buy it somewhere else and bring it over. Don't tell me they'll go bankrupt, we're talking about a HUGE oil company with MEGA deep pockets.

About the below surface oil - how about encasing the hay in something like a giant mesh pillowcase and using weights to suspend it below the surface into the current for a while, then picking it up with ships. Kindof like a giant lobster trap, only on a larger, more sophisticated scale?
Just get crews to go around and rake the extra grass off people's yards when they mow. Same effect (I think?) as using hay. Get a volunteer force to haul it all where it needs to go. And then send all bills to BP
Old 06-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #23
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Quote:
From what I've read (I know, not everything you read is true) they have skimmers that can pick up oil at a rate of 67 thousand barrels per day running efficiently. And they have a number of them. Like you, I don't know.

Cost effectiveness will come into play when BP files bankruptcy and stops paying all together. (Have you seen the trade value right now in Europe?) Then you and me and the rest of us get to pay for it. Which is also why the BP boycott is so stupid. It takes money straight out of the private American business owners pocket AND puts BP closer to colapse. You may think BP has all the money in the world, but if they file for BR then they don't pay anything anymore.

Cost effectiveness is definately an important factor.

67 thousand bbls/day out of one skimmer sounds a little extreme.

BP won't file for bankruptcy, even with the recent drop in their stock price, their market value today is $25.8 Billion. they are too big and all they have to do is cancel their drilling program in the gulf for this year, and they will have enough in their budget to fix the problem and compensate everyone. they already put $20 billion into a fund for people seeking compensation for damages to their job.

and don't forget, all the oil BP is skimming from the gulf, they are probably collecting and sending to the refinery to get paid for it, so even while they are cleaning up, they are also getting paid for it.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #24
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
67 thousand bbls/day out of one skimmer sounds a little extreme.

BP won't file for bankruptcy, even with the recent drop in their stock price, their market value today is $25.8 TRILLION. they are too big and all they have to do is cancel their drilling program in the gulf for this year, and they will have plenty of money to fix the problem and compensate everyone. they already put $20 billion into a fund for people seeking compensation for damages to their job.

and don't forget, all the oil BP is skimming from the gulf, they are probably collecting and sending to the refinery to get paid for it, so even while they are cleaning up, they are also getting paid for it.
A lot of economists disagree. BP CAN go bankrupt. That 25.8 trillion dollars isn't owned by BP. It's publicly traded and owned in part by many people. If stockholders start to take their money out and keep taking it out BP can colapse.

I'm not saying it's probable or anything. I'm not an expert. And I too am in the camp of making BP pay for this. But to boycott and have the attitude that BP has an endless supply of money is irresponsible right now because the effect of a BP colapse isn't just European stockholders, or American stockholders losing their money and subsequent economic strain, but a Gulf of Mexico that WE would have to pay to clean up. And then we depend on the Gov. .......... Don't know about you, but I don't want that.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #25
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Quote:
A lot of economists disagree. BP CAN go bankrupt. That 25.8 trillion dollars isn't owned by BP. It's publicly traded and owned in part by many people. If stockholders start to take their money out and keep taking it out BP can colapse.

I'm not saying it's probable or anything. I'm not an expert. And I too am in the camp of making BP pay for this. But to boycott and have the attitude that BP has an endless supply of money is irresponsible right now because the effect of a BP colapse isn't just European stockholders, or American stockholders losing their money and subsequent economic strain, but a Gulf of Mexico that WE would have to pay to clean up. And then we depend on the Gov. .......... Don't know about you, but I don't want that.
i meant to say 25 billion

and the day they can say the leak has stopped will be the perfect time to make some money with their stock, cuz it will just go right back up and i bet in a year's time, it will be stable again.

hell the entire market has been down since the spill. my company's stock is down $30