Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Marriage Proposal or Car...my lil rant

Just wanted to get my fellow C5 member's opinions/thoughts/advice. I've had my car for a little over 3 months now and I love it. It has not even crossed my once to trade it or ever get rid of it! .... Until today ... for the first time It actually came to my head how expensive a marriage proposal (and the things that come with it) can be. As I was pricing engagement rings online all I can think was !!! There goes 4 to 5 months of car payments. I dont think I can go that long with out my Camaro. I didn't plan on proposing to my GF when I made the deal on the car but maybe I should have put the car off just a bit longer. I guess you can't have everything you want right??? well at least not all at once.

For those that are married, what is a good range that you should spend on an engagement ring?

Well, as i continue to ponder on my situation, I'm going to do everything possible to have both. If I had tons of money to blow this obviously wouldnt be an issue but the car payment is just one of a list of bills I have.

Any thoughts? lol

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
Ouch...
Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Here's a thought: WAIT AND SAVE UP MONEY FOR IT!! She loves you right? Does it really matter whether you get married this year or next? If she loves you, it really shouldn't. I could easily see getting married to my girlfriend right now, but neither one of us can really afford to pay for a ceremony. So, we'll just wait till we can afford it, no big deal. we still love each other just the same, and we'll still be living in the same house...

And whatever you do, don't get rid of that car!! You'll regret it for a looong time!

<------ Trust me!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Here's a thought: WAIT AND SAVE UP MONEY FOR IT!! She loves you right? Does it really matter whether you get married this year or next? If she loves you, it really shouldn't. I could easily see getting married to my girlfriend right now, but neither one of us can really afford to pay for a ceremony. So, we'll just wait till we can afford it, no big deal. we still love each other just the same, and we'll still be living in the same house...

And whatever you do, don't get rid of that car!! You'll regret it for a looong time!

<------ Trust me!

Well said.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:

<------ Trust me!
Thanks buddy! Ill consider your advice very very carefully. Im guessing you traded your camaro for a scion? :(

Well still, much appreciated advice. Im still curious on the price of a ring? lol

Old 06-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Closeout/clearance?
- X
Old 06-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
BlwnSS
i like carz

Drives: 99 Formula,85 Trans Am,04 Monte
I spent about 3k on the bridal set . She even picked it out . We went and looked at a few and then she told me which of them she liked and i then had my choice . But it was a surprise to her when i gave it to her and how i did it . Also check beldens or kay they have no interest financing if you need that .
BlwnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
Gumball machine ring FTW!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Years ago, I heard the rule of thumb is one month's wages for the price of the ring.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlwnSS View Post
I spent about 3k on the bridal set . She even picked it out . We went and looked at a few and then she told me which of them she liked and i then had my choice . But it was a surprise to her when i gave it to her and how i did it . Also check beldens or kay they have no interest financing if you need that .
Ok thats what i figured. How did she react knowing it was a ring she had picked even tho she wasnt expecting it? I have always been curious on how that works out?? I kind of want to pick it out on my own without her knowledge of anything.

Thanks for the tips on Beldens and Kay. Really REALLY appreciate that info! If she says "YES" yall as well as yalls camaros are invited to the wedding

Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
gahammerle

Also, it may be a good idea to read up on quality of diamonds. Then go look at unmounted diamonds until you find one you like, then look for the ring and have it mounted. You most likely will end up getting a better diamond and ring for less than if you purchased one from the case.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Years ago, I heard the rule of thumb is one month's wages for the price of the ring.
I have heard the same. I was afraid of that. Im sure she'll enjoy it though. Thx
Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
gahammerle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-Enginner View Post
I have heard the same. I was afraid of that. Im sure she'll enjoy it though. Thx
Of course, that's if you play by other's rules. If she is worried that you didn't spend the proper amount on the ring, I think you're gonna have more problems down the road.

It's the thought that counts.

Find me on Facebook:
Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Thanks buddy! Ill consider your advice very very carefully. Im guessing you traded your camaro for a scion? :(

Well still, much appreciated advice. Im still curious on the price of a ring? lol
yeah dude, i made some dumb decisions. Basically if I had spent my money more wisely I easily could have kept the Camaro. But I didn't and then I got put into a corner and had to trade her in for something cheaper Oh well, some of us have to learn things the hard way
Old 06-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Just wanted to get my fellow C5 member's opinions/thoughts/advice. I've had my car for a little over 3 months now and I love it. It has not even crossed my once to trade it or ever get rid of it! .... Until today ... for the first time It actually came to my head how expensive a marriage proposal (and the things that come with it) can be. As I was pricing engagement rings online all I can think was !!! There goes 4 to 5 months of car payments. I dont think I can go that long with out my Camaro. I didn't plan on proposing to my GF when I made the deal on the car but maybe I should have put the car off just a bit longer. I guess you can't have everything you want right??? well at least not all at once.

For those that are married, what is a good range that you should spend on an engagement ring?

Well, as i continue to ponder on my situation, I'm going to do everything possible to have both. If I had tons of money to blow this obviously wouldnt be an issue but the car payment is just one of a list of bills I have.

Any thoughts? lol
Bonnies ring cost around 6 to 900 dollars. I can't remember. We bought it together. And payed for it together. We were young and knew we had to prepare for important things. And wedding rings are NOT important.

18 years and still going with our cheap ring.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
KATCMRO

Drives: 2010 2LT CGM
We have been married for 16 years and we started off with a small ring. I love that I was able to upgrade it about three times now! Today I have the ring I love and the car I love!! She'll love upgrading the ring.
KATCMRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #17
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Bonnies ring cost around 6 to 900 dollars. I can't remember. We bought it together. And payed for it together. We were young and knew we had to prepare for important things. And wedding rings are NOT important.

Hey thats great! Congrats on 18yrs. And the fact that you helped eachother out is a true testimonial to your marriage! Thanks for some inspiration

Old 06-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
yeah dude, i made some dumb decisions. Basically if I had spent my money more wisely I easily could have kept the Camaro. But I didn't and then I got put into a corner and had to trade her in for something cheaper Oh well, some of us have to learn things the hard way
Sorry to hear that bro! Well hey the 2011 are up now. Maybe you'll have some better luck.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #19
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Hey thats great! Congrats on 18yrs. And the fact that you helped eachother out is a true testimonial to your marriage! Thanks for some inspiration
Thank you. And BTW. My ring cost like 100 bucks and I lost it about 16 years ago. lol I don't wear one.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Of course, that's if you play by other's rules. If she is worried that you didn't spend the proper amount on the ring, I think you're gonna have more problems down the road.

It's the thought that counts.
so..."Honey, I thought of buying you a ring, but paid my Camaro instead..."

Will that work?

Old 06-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
The cost of Engagement rings, weddings and wedding receptions have gotten COMPLETELY out of hand. More and more young couples start their marriages IN DEBT due to their weddings. And most of the blame can be put solely on the bride and her need for the "perfect" fairytale wedding. And once the "fairytale feeling" wears off and reality sets in, you have to deal with all the bills/debt from the wedding. It's not the way you want to start off a marriage.

I have a simple solution: Buy a 14k gold Cubic Zirconia ring and elope OR have a small ceremony with ONLY close family invited. No one will know the difference about the ring not being a diamond. Diamonds are marked up ridiculously anyways.

I have a CZ engagement ring because I refused to let him buy me a real one. I get comments from time to time on how nice and big my ring is (2.5-karats). I always say, yes, he spent a chunk of dough on it. Then I laugh because it only cost $75.00! I don't need an expensive ring to know he loves me. He shows me in other ways by buying me a CAMARO!!! Now THAT is better than any ring!

Anyways, Hubby and I got married in a small ceremony with just my parents, brother, and sister in attendance. His family was out of state and couldn't come. Cost was $250.00 which was a donation made to the church we got married in. We all went out to eat afterwards. We will be married 12 years on 7/25 and couldn't be happier. Honestly, all we cared about was getting married and being married.

Considering that more than 1/2 of marriages end in divorce, do you really want to spend all that money on a ring, wedding, and reception AND give up your Camaro, to boot?

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #22
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

I got married when I was twenty, my Wife was ninteen! We got married at the "Toucan Cantina" it was a local restaurant and cost us maybe $800! I still remember other patrons laughing at us. I can remember hearing remarks like "way to go all out" or "how romantic...NOT". But....Fourteen years later we're still madly in love. I know people who have had $50k Weddings and they lasted maybe two years!

I think the ring I bought her at the time was only $1200! It looked like frozen spit on yellow gold. But that's not the point. It's what it symbolizes! She still wears it.

Good luck with your decision. And never let anybody tell you you're too young. If she's your Soul Mate then it will work out. I promise.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #23
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
Quote:

<------ Trust me!
Oh dude, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Camaro! :(

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #24
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock69 View Post
Considering that more than 1/2 of marriages end in divorce, do you really want to spend all that money on a ring, wedding, and reception?
Wow, Well first of all, I'm glad to know there still are married couples out there b/c yes u do have a valid point.... but i definatly dont plan on getting divorced to my future fiance/wife. And i know money isnt everything but i want to make sure what I get her is a reflection of my love for her. I admire how you can take the CZ and Camaro lol, instead of a 2K diamond and No camaro. All the same, I just want to give her the proposal, wedding, ceremony, and marriage she deserves.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #25
Da Hose
ACCOUNT HOZED BY GN......

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS #26731
you can do it.....

I was 17 and my wife was 21...and we got married 21 years ago...she still wears the 1200 dollar ring I got at that time....mine was a hand me down from my great grandfather....

My point being....it doesn't really matter how much u spend on the ring or the wedding...just make sure she is the one!!!!

I'd bet $100 that you smile like that all the time, even in your sleep... and you don't snore when you sleep, you giggle.

Da Hose is offline   Reply With Quote