Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
motor1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/M6.....no longer
How does the ABL in doors work?

I am considering adding the ABL to my 1SS. I have searched and read but a lot of the info has confused me. I am not yet sure if the plugs are in my door but even if they are I have read that they are not powered. How can I power the factory ABL light strips if the plugs are there and if the plugs are not there? I have read about wires under the kick panels and wires for the door switches. I would prefer to use factory lighting and factory plugs but appreciate any info.

In addition I have not seen an ABL car in person. Do the lights stay on when the doors are closed and are they able to be dimmed? Thanks.
motor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
WhoDat24
Geaux Saints Geaux

Drives: Bumblebee. 2SS/RS (#88**)
Hey. I have a 2SS, and the ABL stays on even if all doors are closed and moving. Of everyone that i've given rides to, the ABL is one of the most frequently noticed and complimented features of the interior. But to answer your question, I know there was a post sometime last year about someone installing it themselves.. Check out the DIY section?

Oh, and as far as I know, you can't dim them. However, they aren't any brighter than your radio's light.

WhoDat24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat24 View Post
Hey. I have a 2SS, and the ABL stays on even if all doors are closed and moving. Of everyone that i've given rides to, the ABL is one of the most frequently noticed and complimented features of the interior. But to answer your question, I know there was a post sometime last year about someone installing it themselves.. Check out the DIY section?

Oh, and as far as I know, you can't dim them. However, they aren't any brighter than your radio's light.
I've been in and out of the doors, dash, etc in my 2LT.

Here goes. The light is an LED light, with a 5mm diameter Acrylic tube, with a small white stripe along the back. When the light is shining down the tube, the white on the back reflects that light out of the panel.

The panel is painted from behind except on the curve. The rest is just clear plastic.

The ambient light circuit is dimmable. I've have yet to find actually where it originates from, but it is a purple wire, and the diagrams show an SRK/SRM or something. That appears to be where you need to find to get the real ambient light circuit.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1259102106

You could go with the door LED for the window switch, use the yellow and black wires to hook up the lamp and it will still be dimmable. Only difference is that this circuit (IP) will not dim all the way off. It will stay on at the lowest level.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by skuttduck; 06-25-2010 at 08:29 PM.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Oh, they do dim in the 2SS - they are connected to the same power source as all the other nighttime illumination
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Oh, they do dim in the 2SS - they are connected to the same power source as all the other nighttime illumination
True, but take note that it will go off. Your window switch, traction control switch, etc.. They all have a little bit of light when the ambient light is off.

Only thing I could tell that does the exact same thing was the rings around the speedometer. By the way, I couldn't find a wire that controlled that. I believe that is done digitally.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
motor1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/M6.....no longer
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
True, but take note that it will go off. Your window switch, traction control switch, etc.. They all have a little bit of light when the ambient light is off.

Only thing I could tell that does the exact same thing was the rings around the speedometer. By the way, I couldn't find a wire that controlled that. I believe that is done digitally.
Thanks, that just answered ANOTHER question I had. Thanks again for all the help.
motor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM   #7
iosigma

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS, 1991 Camaro RS
hey guys i tried the yellow and black wires on the window switch but it didn't work..i have a 2011 1ss and the panels from the factory with the ambient light strip. Are these wires incorrect?
iosigma is online now   Reply With Quote