Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dynomax Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Pro Street
 
Pro Street's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Booker,TX.
Posts: 629
My Camaro is pulling timing!

2SS/RS 6.2L L99 with A6. When I go WOT it pulls timing from a dig. I have TM out or I think I have it out and TC turn off! I am tunning with HPTuners. Any ideas? I was going to attach a log but it will not let me.
__________________
CamaroFest II-III-V
2010 White Camaro 2SS/RS A6
2002 Corvette Yellow Coupe 1sc,3.42 rear end,Z06 wheels,Pioneer AVIC D3,A4,Vortex Rammer intake,25% underdrive pulley,160°stat,Texas Speed cam 224/224 581/581 114 LSA,Texas Speed Headers high flow cats,Bassani X-pipe,Z06 Ti's,BlackMaxx tunnel plate,Z06 sway bars,Z06 shocks and HPTuners
Pro Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
2SSCAMARO

 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Street View Post
2SS/RS 6.2L L99 with A6. When I go WOT it pulls timing from a dig. I have TM out or I think I have it out and TC turn off! I am tunning with HPTuners. Any ideas? I was going to attach a log but it will not let me.
There are many things that can cause timing to get retarded. Burst KR at launch isw fairly common. Very warm intake air temps will cause timing to be pulled under WOT loads. Insufficient octane relative to the tune will be cause for timing retard. Poor quality fuel is another cause. Knock sensors correctly or incorrectly can cause the timing to be reduced (usually overkill too). Good logs with the proper parameters loggged should tell.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
kelley@vectormotorsports
 
Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clinton Twp., MI
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Street View Post
2SS/RS 6.2L L99 with A6. When I go WOT it pulls timing from a dig. I have TM out or I think I have it out and TC turn off! I am tunning with HPTuners. Any ideas? I was going to attach a log but it will not let me.
Are you sure it is pulling timing? Many cars with the A6 will dive into the part of the timing table that many people do not change. For example at 1600 RPM and .64 grams/cyl of air there is only 9 degrees.

Try to modify the table at lower RPM levels and higher load levels and check it again. If you send me a scan I can tell you for sure. I can read any scan you send me, I don't know what software you are using.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
DSteck
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 590
Aside from logging total advance... log all of the spark adders/retards to see what sources are pulling timing out.

What conditions are you seeing the timing get pulled out?... A log would help.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Pro Street
 
Pro Street's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Booker,TX.
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk@VectorMotorsports View Post
Are you sure it is pulling timing? Many cars with the A6 will dive into the part of the timing table that many people do not change. For example at 1600 RPM and .64 grams/cyl of air there is only 9 degrees.

Try to modify the table at lower RPM levels and higher load levels and check it again. If you send me a scan I can tell you for sure. I can read any scan you send me, I don't know what software you are using.

Sent you a PM.
__________________
CamaroFest II-III-V
2010 White Camaro 2SS/RS A6
2002 Corvette Yellow Coupe 1sc,3.42 rear end,Z06 wheels,Pioneer AVIC D3,A4,Vortex Rammer intake,25% underdrive pulley,160°stat,Texas Speed cam 224/224 581/581 114 LSA,Texas Speed Headers high flow cats,Bassani X-pipe,Z06 Ti's,BlackMaxx tunnel plate,Z06 sway bars,Z06 shocks and HPTuners
Pro Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Pro Street
 
Pro Street's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Booker,TX.
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
Aside from logging total advance... log all of the spark adders/retards to see what sources are pulling timing out.

What conditions are you seeing the timing get pulled out?... A log would help.

Where can I send you a log? I can not upload a log here.
Thanks!
__________________
CamaroFest II-III-V
2010 White Camaro 2SS/RS A6
2002 Corvette Yellow Coupe 1sc,3.42 rear end,Z06 wheels,Pioneer AVIC D3,A4,Vortex Rammer intake,25% underdrive pulley,160°stat,Texas Speed cam 224/224 581/581 114 LSA,Texas Speed Headers high flow cats,Bassani X-pipe,Z06 Ti's,BlackMaxx tunnel plate,Z06 sway bars,Z06 shocks and HPTuners
Pro Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
kelley@vectormotorsports
 
Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clinton Twp., MI
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Street View Post
Sent you a PM.
Got it. The car is doing as I suspected. Under 1700 RPM you are in a part of the timing table that is very low.

Actually you are at .64 gm/cyl at only 800 RPM. Not very much timing down there!

Bring those numbers up, but dont get crazy. Keep them in the high single digits to start.

Good luck and happy tuning!

Also, you have zero upshift torque management. I would just reduce it by 50% or so. What intake is on the car? You are pulling a 12 Kpa depression in the manifold, thats huge.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Pro Street
 
Pro Street's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Booker,TX.
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk@VectorMotorsports View Post
Got it. The car is doing as I suspected. Under 1700 RPM you are in a part of the timing table that is very low.

Actually you are at .64 gm/cyl at only 800 RPM. Not very much timing down there!

Bring those numbers up, but dont get crazy. Keep them in the high single digits to start.

Good luck and happy tuning!

Also, you have zero upshift torque management. I would just reduce it by 50% or so. What intake is on the car? You are pulling a 12 Kpa depression in the manifold, thats huge.
Thanks Kirk!
I will add timing down in those areas! It stll has the stock air filter system.
Thanks again!
__________________
CamaroFest II-III-V
2010 White Camaro 2SS/RS A6
2002 Corvette Yellow Coupe 1sc,3.42 rear end,Z06 wheels,Pioneer AVIC D3,A4,Vortex Rammer intake,25% underdrive pulley,160°stat,Texas Speed cam 224/224 581/581 114 LSA,Texas Speed Headers high flow cats,Bassani X-pipe,Z06 Ti's,BlackMaxx tunnel plate,Z06 sway bars,Z06 shocks and HPTuners
Pro Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
DSteck
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk@VectorMotorsports View Post
You are pulling a 12 Kpa depression in the manifold, thats huge.
Holy crap... and I thought 3kPa was bad!
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Pro Street
 
Pro Street's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Booker,TX.
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
Holy crap... and I thought 3kPa was bad!
That is why everyone says they can feel a hugh change with a CAI!
__________________
CamaroFest II-III-V
2010 White Camaro 2SS/RS A6
2002 Corvette Yellow Coupe 1sc,3.42 rear end,Z06 wheels,Pioneer AVIC D3,A4,Vortex Rammer intake,25% underdrive pulley,160°stat,Texas Speed cam 224/224 581/581 114 LSA,Texas Speed Headers high flow cats,Bassani X-pipe,Z06 Ti's,BlackMaxx tunnel plate,Z06 sway bars,Z06 shocks and HPTuners
Pro Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
DSteck
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Street View Post
That is why everyone says they can feel a hugh change with a CAI!
I get pissed when I see my manifold pressure drop from 99 to 98 by 7200rpm.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
kelley@vectormotorsports
 
Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clinton Twp., MI
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Street View Post
Thanks Kirk!
I will add timing down in those areas! It stll has the stock air filter system.
Thanks again!
No problem. Now get yourself a CAI!
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
thesubfloor
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Street View Post
Thanks Kirk!
I will add timing down in those areas! It stll has the stock air filter system.
Thanks again!
Whenever I tune somebody's automatic (usually in C6 Corvettes) that's one of the first things I work on as it can make a huge difference to how the car takes off. In my car I only see about a 2-3 drop when I launch the car at the track.

I agree with Kirk though in that you have to add more timing in small increments until you're happy with the results.
thesubfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
DSteck
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
Whenever I tune somebody's automatic (usually in C6 Corvettes) that's one of the first things I work on as it can make a huge difference to how the car takes off. In my car I only see about a 2-3 drop when I launch the car at the track.

I agree with Kirk though in that you have to add more timing in small increments until you're happy with the results.
After seeing his log, burst knock was a bigger offender... although that stacked on top of already low timing just compounds the effect.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
l99

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think about this and the Z28 5th gen 13F20 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 41 09-04-2010 12:59 AM
Over 230 Satisfied 2010 Camaro Customers! Paddock Chevrolet has 40 in stock NOW camarojoe Dealer Camaros for Sale 2 05-24-2010 05:58 PM
Installation Camaro Needed for Manual for a Justice Install Package in SF Bay Area Info@PeddersUSA.com USA - California 6 04-30-2010 08:02 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM
Pedders Suspension Benchmark Track Testing and New Jersey Track Day Info@PeddersUSA.com USA - NY / NJ / PA 35 10-26-2009 05:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.