Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

View Poll Results: If offered through GMPP/GM Accessories, would you purchase the longer stripes?
Yes! I want my stripes to end on the front facia and I will pay more for them. 138 60.53%
No. The current hood length stripes are sufficient. 48 21.05%
I am not getting stripes. It does not matter to me, but I just wanted to answer a poll! :p 42 18.42%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #69
70 COPO
Banned

Drives: Multiple Camaro's
Mods:

GM is very aware of this issue. Can you guys consider making this a sticky?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #70
Moonsault
5th Gen STIG

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Is there enough time for GM to change the stripe length before the production ordering deadline?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #71
70 COPO
Banned

I am told not enough time to evaluate and come to a decision that would result in availibility at production start.

That is why my I have directed my dealer to hold the order for my car. I am not in a big hurry but I want an official offering either on RPO or GM ADI accessory that has full GM pedigree and approval.

If that happens the early guys who get their cars first could just buy the stripe and dealer install it later.

You guys who are voting short stripes have nothing to worry about.

IMO...Polling that continues to hang over 60% favorable to the longer stripe should eventually transulate into a long stripe offering. Stastically when you throw out the % that have voted that they do not care then the % that care and want the longer stripe dominates completely.

Government regulation and current cash strapped environment excluded - normally businesses (that want your business) will provide a product that the majority want and are willing to pay for. I do not believe Congress will be regulating stripe length anytime soon which is a good thing.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 AM   #72
70 COPO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 COPO View Post
Mods:

GM is very aware of this issue. Can you guys consider making this a sticky?

Hilton,

Can you make this thread a sticky?

If not why not?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #73
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Tag, you started this thread, so you must feel it is of some importance. Now I know, 70COPO's, shall we say, extreme fervor has turned a lot of people off to the subject, but the fact remains that out of those that voted that are actually getting stripes, 79% want longer stripes. It's only right to serve the majority and not let this thread get swept under the rug by making it a sticky. The outcome of doing so seems irrelevant.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #74
70 COPO
Banned

Thanks for the support Rodrunner. As you may (or may not) be aware the problem with the front stripes is not the only issue now.

It is worse.

A brief review of the last few posts in the stripe sticky that Hilton posted reveals that the accessory "Blade" spoiler and rear stripes is a BIG problem along with the Hi spoiler which looks to be even a bigger problem for stripes.

IMO. The way the information about the stripes is being "trickled" out here on the forums smacks of bad news and the attempt at a "soft landing". I will not have any of it.

As far as those who are turned off ...SORRY but again I feel that dogged defence of bad planning that will end up costing GM sales and bring real chances for the Mustang leaning automotive press to bring critical reviews of this car is a huge disservice to the Camaro and the people who have worked long and hard to get it to market.

The short front stripe issue looks to be a half baked cost cutting decision made with little consideration to the impact on the overall apperance of the car-especially with bright colors and light stripes.

The rationale of scrappage and production hold ups do not make sence when the same amount of stripe install time (that is planned now) with the short stripe would apply to the long stripe. The critical mail slot end segments do not need to be factory installed. The remainder that is needed to complete the stripe could be simply shipped with the car for dealer installation.

IMO..the real issue is the design of the longer stripe which would be a thinner design, and that is where the $$$ comes in as GM appears to have prematurely committed to a limited number of stripe designs - and rolled the dice on the short front stripe.

Detail on the newest Bad news reported in just the last few days:

The rear of the car looks like little to no design thaught was put into the addition of the same rally stripes- this time to the accessory spoilers on the rear of the car.

Given that I want the Blade spoiler on my car I now have problems with the looks of the rear of the car as well- as the current reported plans have the stripes stopping Half way on the spoiler.

Here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...?t=8624&page=3

My order is officially on hold pending progress/updates. I have made GM aware of all these issues and have gotten positive feedback for doing so..
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #75
Eighty-Six Z
2G1FK1EJ0A9109635

Drives: '10 CGM Camaro SS/RS
The reason why I did not get stripes is because they are not offering the longer stripes. I will just wait and see what the aftermarket stripes look like. I would be willing to pay 100 to 150 more on the longer stripes.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:45 AM   #76
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
Tag, you started this thread, so you must feel it is of some importance. Now I know, 70COPO's, shall we say, extreme fervor has turned a lot of people off to the subject, but the fact remains that out of those that voted that are actually getting stripes, 79% want longer stripes. It's only right to serve the majority and not let this thread get swept under the rug by making it a sticky. The outcome of doing so seems irrelevant.
This thread will NOT become a sticky. Sorry. It is just another "poll/we want" thread for the uppers at GM to read and use how they want. I don't really feel it is all that important. I like the shorter and for some reason, think that the longer stripes interfere with the mail slot. I like the mail slot to stand out. Look at the silver pic I posted a while ago and you'll see. I think that type of stripe looks mean as hell. Others disagree. The only reason I started this thread was to help Copo in his quest for GMPP to make the longer stripes an option. If there were enough people saying they wanted it, maybe someone at GM would listen. Maybe that 60% just won't cut it at this point in time for anyone to go back to the drawing board....and I'd also bet that since the auto industry is hurting, they probably won't even bother with the longer stripes at all.

Personally, I like the shorter stripes. But, it really doesn't matter to me anyway. I'm getting the hockey style stripes.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #77
70 COPO
Banned

Cool Now we know where you stand. That is OK.

My opinion is that we have been betrayed by corporate bean counters. GM has been tripping over its self lately to reinforce how it will not be making the "mistakes of the past".

Stripe issue is simply more of the same.

As the silence goes on here on the board and the poll numbers grow the perception is that GM's focus is currently not on the customer. Perception's likewise grow.

Imports and the competition (notabily the Ford Mustang) are not prone to these types of mistakes.

I hope this gets resolved
Old 12-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #78
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Fair enough, Tag. I respect your opinion, as I know you do ours. And I'll admit, I have thought to myself when looking at the silver car that it does make the mailslot stand out, not what I'd prefer, but maybe what I have to live with...or choose the hockies or something else.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:26 AM   #79
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Nah...I respect ya'lls likes. No problem there.

I like to see everyone happy. So, I hope you get your longer stripe option.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:13 AM   #80
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
In order to have the longer stripes, that would mean losing the shorter stripes.........it's not gonna happen people. Be happy you are getting stripes at all. I know the purists only want to stripes they were shown or stripes like their 70 models, but that's why GM and all other manufacturers put that little disclaimer on everything that says, PREPRODUCTION MODEL SHOWN, ACTUAL PRODUCTION MAY VARY.

I agree with the stripes on the blade spoiler though, it should go all the way around. That would be a disappointment to me, but not having them extend to the mail slot still seems silly.

Thanks TAG for not sticking this thread. I don't think any of the personal requests threads should be.

GM has tried to go way out of the norm by including enthusiasts in the design of this vehicle. They have also been actively reading and posting at times on the various forums to gauge the feel of the buyers. We have been told several times that 600,000 people have showed interest in this vehicle. Now we all know with the economic situation that the actual number of buyers would be reduced, but by GM's own website, they have only reported 7800 pre-sold vehicles. I think this is great, but nowhere near what I expected for a car with 600K interested potential buyers. There was a group sigh at Indy when they told us that number and when the order date would be. I think everyone was thinking what I was.....I'll never get this car with that many people wanting one. Personally, I thought there would have been 7800 orders on the first day with that kind of interest.

7800 orders out of 100,000 estimated / production year. Even if everyone of those cars was getting stripes, that's nowhere near enough for GM to have their stripe supplier redesign and cut all of those stripes. When you look at the stripes in on overhead, they would not look right to extend as far as some have requested. My opinion.

Also, yes, the enthusiasts want this car, but it's the general public buying the V6s cars that will keep it going. And they aren't gonna care how long the stripes are if they want them.

Oh yeah, and your 66% for the longer stripes is only 124 votes............out of 7800 orders........come on!

Old 12-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #81
70 COPO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Nah...I respect ya'lls likes. No problem there.

I like to see everyone happy. So, I hope you get your longer stripe option.
I am glad you do since the poll is running lopsided for at this point. With this in mind I still do not understand why one of us will need to continue to bump the thread now and then but if that is what needs to happen then that is what we will do.

Backing and supporting GM even when the decision making process is ripe for debate is not healthy for GM or the future of the Camaro brand. I suspect "Group Think" as a product planning tactic over the last decade or so has gotten GM where it is right now the verge of going bankrupt.

Polling here indicates that there is no debate on this topic.

There is a clear decision.

This board and its moderators should do all they can to communicate this thread, to GM its management and the layers of decision makers entrenched there, to get the needed change in the product appearance as an option to the marketplace ASAP.

Then the market will quickly decide which stripe is better.

Moderators Will you carry the ball for us or carry the water for GM?

Last edited by 70 COPO; 12-13-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #82
70 COPO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
Embedded.

OMG -- a truck version of an SS with orange rally's

Sorry 68, not buying the cost savings pitch today. The current configuration looks far too much like the current sport stripes on a U-Haul truck.

With the short stripes and the fake hood scoop then the scoop stands out like a sore thumb because it has a black insert and then I have to explain that it dows NOTHING to all my friends. The long stripes hide it to a tasteful degree and blend it into the rest of the car.

With the short stripes in any of the bright colors when combined with bright body color your eyes are drawn to three places on the car at once. Everything clashes
Old 12-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #83
bobby35ny

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Well, considering that every dealer whats above MSRP that might be hurting sales at this time.

I too wish for longer stripes on my SS/RS, if I can get it at MSRP. Sad to think the longer stripes won't happen because they don't trust the highly paid monkey's at the stealership to install them properly.

=Bobby
Old 12-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #84
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Obviously you have missed posts along the way. This thread started on 11/3 and John Cox from GM Accessories responsed in the thread that spurred this one on 11/4. While John may not be able to influence or change the length of the stripes, he could have easily passed this information on to someone that could.

GM knows that people are looking for longer stripes and this thread has been on the front page of the Cosmetics forum for nearly 6 weeks. That's close enough to being a sticky and more than enough time for anyone from GM to actually read it. They have heard you....they just don't want to listen to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCamaro View Post
This is JohnnyCamaro AKA John Cox from Chevy Accessories and GMPP. I apologize I havent been on this site in quite some time. I see there has been a lot going on regarding the stripes and how far they come down. At Chevy Accessories all we are doing is taking the factory stripes and offering those stripes in different colors. We did not change the design because it would have been more money to do so. Therefore, I truly have never seen these stripes but rather I have seen the same images that all of you have seen. I apologize for not having been around, but whether they go to the mailslot or not is not something I have influence over. Our goal at Chevy Accessories is to offer people the ability to personalize their vehicle and by offering many unique colors I feel we have accomplished that mission with the many stripe offerings. I hope you all choose to purchase GMPP and Chevy Accessories for your vehicle and I encourage you to create "your" Camaro.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #85
70 COPO
Banned

Bingo....

Closed Thread