Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

DJ Grilles
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

USA - California The Golden State

Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #51
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habu View Post
This is like my 9th car I've tinted the windows in. and no flp. My experience is they wont bother you about it unless you make them (racing excessive speed)
Lucky you! Palo Alto hates tint. I finally got bagged after 2 warnings. :( ...but I found a new route to work
Old 12-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #52
MikeL

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunihiro View Post
If a person moves into California with their personal property (including out of state registered vehicles), that person has 10 business days to report that change of address to the California DMV.

so, if you're driving a car with out of state plates and you tell the officer, you're living in California, you are subject to getting scratched for failing to report a change of address within the specified time period.

Believe me, there are enough sections in the Vehicle Code to develop enough probable cause for any officer to stop/cite, stop/warn, stop/cite/arrest, stop/cite tow, etc. etc. Although most traffic guys have one specific mission in mind, most officers typically use the vehicle code as a means of picking and choosing who they want to stop.

For example, the Paul Buzzo Act, throwing a lit object out of your car is a good one. Littering, the only thing that you can throw out of your car or from the bed of a truck is water or feathers and that's it. And the list goes on.

It's all about attitude and your presentation during the stop.
This post and the one before it seem like you're angry at me. Sorry I'm not a LEO. The police have plenty of means to pull you over. If they cant find one they could follow you until you decide to turn without a turn signal.. and there ya go. The whole attitude and presentation during the stop has many other factors. I know some officers who if a person is really nice and isn't pissed off they just see it as an easy stop and still issue the citations. So really it all depends on the officer you get and exactly what law/ordinance you're breaking.

I will update with the 10 day information. Sorry I havn't been able to update this sticky too much recently.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #53
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1Chester View Post
Although, in CA it is "legal" to open carry correct?
It is legal as others have stated but it is very risky and most LEOs in California are just starting to be trained to deal with those who decide to open carry. The guys over at calguns.net are a great resource for gun related information in California and I recommend heading there as they know their stuff. They are very active in California legislation with gun related material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
Greetings fellow Camaro owners in California (and surrounding States)...

I am hearing rumblings through work that the State of California is getting ready to unleash some new smog requirements in 2011. Apparently they are going to be fairly stringent (and generate money for cash strapped Calee-fone-ia). I am trying to research and nail down where these new laws are at in the bureaucratic process. I hear they are being driven by the CARB. One of the fleet managers I work with says it is going to crimp the aftermarket because of the restrictions. If anyone hears/knows more please post.
If you hear anything else let us know!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:47 AM   #54
Cabrera
Freightrain Coming Ur Way

Drives: V8-1968 & V6-2000 & V6 2010 Camaros
Hope this is the right thread...

Side markers both front and back can be black/smoked but the light emitted from the has to correspond, front amber and rear red correct?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #55
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
It is legal as others have stated but it is very risky and most LEOs in California are just starting to be trained to deal with those who decide to open carry. The guys over at calguns.net are a great resource for gun related information in California and I recommend heading there as they know their stuff. They are very active in California legislation with gun related material.

If you hear anything else let us know!
Just heard yesterday that Alameda County will be posting the approved good cause statements which should make it easier for one to obtain a CCW. Alameda County is the only yellow county in the Bay Area. I think that the entire state will be green within two years thanks to the high courts.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #56
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...t-speed-traps/ LA makes the top 10 worse speed traps list!
Old 02-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #57
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
its like when its time to die. it's just your time . the leo's job is to find the money thats there job.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #58
2010_BumbleBee
2010 Camaro SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Not going to quote the CA Vehicle Code,SUB SEC "D", BUT in CA you ARE ALLOWED to tint your front windows 70% and must have a reg card from the installer showing 70% was installed in that vehicle!
2010_BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #59
fahad R

Drives: no cars in the usa yet
how many of u guys have ur front plates on ? and where the hell do you place it?
fahad R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #60
ChvyBoss
THAT BOOST TURNS HEADS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad R View Post
how many of u guys have ur front plates on ? and where the hell do you place it?
I've never put a front plate on any of my cars.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #61
madman2k

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT - Imp. Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad R View Post
No front plate installed yet. Not planning on it as of now.
madman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #62
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

No front plate on the Camaro until I get the ticket, than I will make a bracket for it and place it in the lower grill. The retractable ones are nice if your car isn't lowered and rubs on everything.

Last edited by Silver2SSRS6spd; 03-17-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Silver2SSRS6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #63
MikeL

I was at Boardwalk Chevy (Redwood City) the other day and they said they don't put front plates on their Camaros or Corvettes. I was under the impression since it's law, they have to put them on at the dealership. Not that I mind they don't put them on.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #64
electlatino

Drives: 2SS with RS and Ground Effects
Quote:
I was at Boardwalk Chevy (Redwood City) the other day and they said they don't put front plates on their Camaros or Corvettes. I was under the impression since it's law, they have to put them on at the dealership. Not that I mind they don't put them on.
no dealer in california is "required" to put them on, but some will do it for you. they are only required to give you the brackets so you can put them on yourself. most dealers understand with these kind of cars that we don't want them, so they just put the brackets in your trunk for you.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #65
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by electlatino View Post
no dealer in california is "required" to put them on, but some will do it for you. they are only required to give you the brackets so you can put them on yourself. most dealers understand with these kind of cars that we don't want them, so they just put the brackets in your trunk for you.
Ahh okay thanks.

On another note, does anyone feel the original post needs some updating? I've been a bit busy/away from the forums and been slacking.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #66
leonardo
SoCal HT5 [COTW 11/24/13]

Drives: 2011 Turbo SS / Ducati 1198s
I am buying a VIS carbon fiber hood and it says "off road use only" ...... so my two main questions would be 1. is it illegal to have a carbon fiber hood on a daily driver car and 2. how big of a deal is it ? is it like a fix it ticket or a impound your car on the spot type of deal ...... please no guesses I need to know for sure before i drop 1300 on a hood. Thanks
Old 04-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #67
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
I am buying a VIS carbon fiber hood and it says "off road use only" ...... so my two main questions would be 1. is it illegal to have a carbon fiber hood on a daily driver car and 2. how big of a deal is it ? is it like a fix it ticket or a impound your car on the spot type of deal ...... please no guesses I need to know for sure before i drop 1300 on a hood. Thanks
My guess is that the manufacturer put that there to cover their ass incase of an accident or if it flys off at freeway speeds.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:34 AM   #68
Agent orange
socal ht5

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss
I put my liscense plate on. Just dont want to be in trouble. I drive at night most of the time. Cops are very suspecious specially night time.
Agent orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #69
Pokergirl

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro SS/RS M6
anyone know what the laws are pertaining to mufflers/exhaust? and how loud is legal/illegal? do you have to have my cats on? cans on? resonators?
Pokergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #70
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokergirl View Post
anyone know what the laws are pertaining to mufflers/exhaust? and how loud is legal/illegal? do you have to have my cats on? cans on? resonators?
I know that you need Cats in California, if not it's going to be near impossible to pass SMOG test I would assume. For noise level, technically you cannot have any exhaust system that is not above the stock sound.(CA V.C. 27151). Personally I have had modified exhaust systems on my truck and never been pulled over. Unless it is so loud it is causing a serious disturbance I don't think most police mind, also most modified exhaust systems; as you know, at lower RPMs are not that loud.. so driving normally I don't think most police mind anyway.

This is from a CHP bulletin (No. 98-100)

Quote:
Enforcement Guidelines

The only drivers who should be cited are those whose vehicles:

1) are not equipped with a muffler

2) clearly emit an offensive, harsh, excessive noise, or

3) have a clearly defective exhaust systems (holes, leaks, etc.)
Remember that most of this is obviously up to a CHP/Police officer to pull you over, if they want they will find a means to pull you over, exhaust system or a front license plate.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #71
cjwa20

Drives: Black 2SS Camaro
So dumb that long tubes are illegal even though they burn cleaner. Smog is another way of stopping people from having to much horsepower on the roads. It's crap I hate this state.
cjwa20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #72
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwa20 View Post
So dumb that long tubes are illegal even though they burn cleaner. Smog is another way of stopping people from having to much horsepower on the roads. It's crap I hate this state.
Agreed, but Mindz has said that a bill has passed in California that may eliminate the sniffer test and only go through your cars computer to check "smog". When they will implement who knows; especially with the states current financial situation. This would allow long tube headers as long as all your sensors are correct, or so it seems.

Remember you have 5-6 years after your new car is purchased before you're required to do another smog test unless you sell your vehicle to my understand. So you could switch back to stock, pass smog, and switch back. A lot of work, but it is 5-6 year away
Old 07-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #73
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Quote:
Agreed, but Mindz has said that a bill has passed in California that may eliminate the sniffer test and only go through your cars computer to check "smog". When they will implement who knows; especially with the states current financial situation. This would allow long tube headers as long as all your sensors are correct, or so it seems.

Remember you have 5-6 years after your new car is purchased before you're required to do another smog test unless you sell your vehicle to my understand. So you could switch back to stock, pass smog, and switch back. A lot of work, but it is 5-6 year away
My understanding is that they will still be doing a visual and the reason why long tubes are banned is because the second or post cat oxygen sensor gets moved from its original position which is not allowed.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #74
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
My understanding is that they will still be doing a visual and the reason why long tubes are banned is because the second or post cat oxygen sensor gets moved from its original position which is not allowed.
So you would still fail since they do visual? Lame.. Guess I will be doing shorties.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #75
cjwa20

Drives: Black 2SS Camaro
Quote:
So you would still fail since they do visual? Lame.. Guess I will be doing shorties.
Yes you will fail because of a visual. Actually that is all they do on the diesel trucks in CA. They failed my dads truck because he had a wiring harness in his engine bay that went to his tuner chip. They told him they didn't see it and he needs to remove it before they see it. Lol.
cjwa20 is offline   Reply With Quote