Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #43
2010rod
JAWS
 
2010rod's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Silver Ice Metallic
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 1,316
Advised 24004 v.c. can not drive car unless tail lights corrected.

cited for 26101 v.c. rear taillights black covers. (Ya maybe it's 26701)

5200 v.c. front plate req.
__________________
2010rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #44
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!
 
Silver2SSRS6spd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 2,678
The laws for license plate and how they must be mounted.

V C Section 5200 Display of License Plates

Display of License Plates

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.


V C Section 5201 Positioning of Plates

Positioning of Plates

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:

(a) The rear license plate on a tow truck or repossessor’s tow vehicle may be mounted on the left-hand side of the mast assembly at the rear of the cab of the vehicle, not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.

(b) The rear license plate on a tank vehicle hauling hazardous waste, as defined in Section 25117 of the Health and Safety Code, or asphalt material may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.

(c) The rear license plate on a truck tractor may be mounted at the rear of the cab of the vehicle, but not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.

(d) The rear license plate of a vehicle designed by the manufacturer for the collection and transportation of garbage, rubbish, or refuse that is used regularly for the collection and transportation of that material by any person or governmental entity employed to collect, transport, and dispose of garbage, rubbish, or refuse may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.

(e) The rear license plate on a two-axle livestock trailer may be mounted 12 inches or more, but not more than 90 inches, from the ground.

(f) A covering shall not be used on license plates except as follows:

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. Any peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.

A casing, shield, frame, border, product, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by an electronic device operated by state or local law enforcement, an electronic device operated in connection with a toll road, high-occupancy toll lane, toll bridge, or other toll facility, or a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall not be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.

(h) (1) It is the intent of the Legislature that an accommodation be made to persons with disabilities and to those persons who regularly transport persons with disabilities, to allow the removal and relocation of wheelchair lifts and wheelchair carriers without the necessity of removing and reattaching the vehicle's rear license plate. Therefore, it is not a violation of this section if the reading or recognition of a rear license plate is obstructed or impaired by a wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier and all of the following requirements are met:

(A) The owner of the vehicle has been issued a special identification license plate pursuant to Section 5007, or the person using the wheelchair that is carried on the vehicle has been issued a distinguishing placard under Section 22511.55.

(B) (i) The operator of the vehicle displays a decal, designed and issued by the department, that contains the license plate number assigned to the vehicle transporting the wheelchair.

(ii) The decal is displayed on the rear window of the vehicle, in a location determined by the department, in consultation with the Department of the California Highway Patrol, so as to be clearly visible to law enforcement.

(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a decal is displayed pursuant to this subdivision, the requirements of this code that require the illumination of the license plate and the license plate number do not apply.

(3) The department shall adopt regulations governing the procedures for accepting and approving applications for decals, and issuing decals, authorized by this subdivision.

(4) This subdivision does not apply to a front license plate.

Amended Sec. 2, Ch. 626, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
Amended Sec. 6, Ch. 650, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 273, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008.
Amended Sec. 107, Ch. 307, Stats. 2009. Effective January 1, 2010.
The 2009 amendment added the italicized material.
__________________
MagnaCharger TVS-2300 550rwhp 540 rwt and a radical suspension under the car.
Silver2SSRS6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #45
N4CR22
 
N4CR22's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 CAMARO, 04 & 09 CAMRY
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 17
It's not legal to modify tail lights. he was cited for 26101 VC
No person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon or as part of the equipment of a vehicle, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of any lighting equipment, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device meets the provisions of 26104.
__________________
.

Last edited by N4CR22; 11-24-2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: mispelled word
N4CR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #46
2010rod
JAWS
 
2010rod's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Silver Ice Metallic
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4CR22 View Post
It's not legal to modify tail lights. he was cited for 26101 VC
No person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon or as part of the equipment of a vehicle, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of any lighting equipment, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device meets the provisions of 26104.
:( Oh well! It's the front plate that bothers me most. I'm gonna remove it 4 runs.
__________________
2010rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #47
Orange Krate
Not just any car!
 
Orange Krate's Avatar
 
Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 1,842
Upcoming Laws in 2011 - California

Greetings fellow Camaro owners in California (and surrounding States)...

I am hearing rumblings through work that the State of California is getting ready to unleash some new smog requirements in 2011. Apparently they are going to be fairly stringent (and generate money for cash strapped Calee-fone-ia). I am trying to research and nail down where these new laws are at in the bureaucratic process. I hear they are being driven by the CARB. One of the fleet managers I work with says it is going to crimp the aftermarket because of the restrictions. If anyone hears/knows more please post.
__________________

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:14 AM   #48
2010rod
JAWS
 
2010rod's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Silver Ice Metallic
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
Greetings fellow Camaro owners in California (and surrounding States)...

I am hearing rumblings through work that the State of California is getting ready to unleash some new smog requirements in 2011. Apparently they are going to be fairly stringent (and generate money for cash strapped Calee-fone-ia). I am trying to research and nail down where these new laws are at in the bureaucratic process. I hear they are being driven by the CARB. One of the fleet managers I work with says it is going to crimp the aftermarket because of the restrictions. If anyone hears/knows more please post.
__________________
2010rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #49
Kunihiro
 
Kunihiro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Charcoal Gray, 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Yeah many people get away with it just fine. But they can always use it to pull you over.




Thanks, updated
It's called "probable cause".......
Kunihiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #50
Kunihiro
 
Kunihiro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Charcoal Gray, 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
See thats the way I understand it. But I'm guessing its only if you're just visiting/under a few months. If you have recently moved and its registered out of state I'm sure they have a time frame or grace period for when you need to become state compliant if your vehicle will be permanently in the state.
If a person moves into California with their personal property (including out of state registered vehicles), that person has 10 business days to report that change of address to the California DMV.

so, if you're driving a car with out of state plates and you tell the officer, you're living in California, you are subject to getting scratched for failing to report a change of address within the specified time period.

Believe me, there are enough sections in the Vehicle Code to develop enough probable cause for any officer to stop/cite, stop/warn, stop/cite/arrest, stop/cite tow, etc. etc. Although most traffic guys have one specific mission in mind, most officers typically use the vehicle code as a means of picking and choosing who they want to stop.

For example, the Paul Buzzo Act, throwing a lit object out of your car is a good one. Littering, the only thing that you can throw out of your car or from the bed of a truck is water or feathers and that's it. And the list goes on.

It's all about attitude and your presentation during the stop.
Kunihiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #51
Chevyg1rl

 
Chevyg1rl's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevys
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habu View Post
This is like my 9th car I've tinted the windows in. and no flp. My experience is they wont bother you about it unless you make them (racing excessive speed)
Lucky you! Palo Alto hates tint. I finally got bagged after 2 warnings. :( ...but I found a new route to work
__________________
Chevyg1rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #52
MikeL
 
MikeL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunihiro View Post
If a person moves into California with their personal property (including out of state registered vehicles), that person has 10 business days to report that change of address to the California DMV.

so, if you're driving a car with out of state plates and you tell the officer, you're living in California, you are subject to getting scratched for failing to report a change of address within the specified time period.

Believe me, there are enough sections in the Vehicle Code to develop enough probable cause for any officer to stop/cite, stop/warn, stop/cite/arrest, stop/cite tow, etc. etc. Although most traffic guys have one specific mission in mind, most officers typically use the vehicle code as a means of picking and choosing who they want to stop.

For example, the Paul Buzzo Act, throwing a lit object out of your car is a good one. Littering, the only thing that you can throw out of your car or from the bed of a truck is water or feathers and that's it. And the list goes on.

It's all about attitude and your presentation during the stop.
This post and the one before it seem like you're angry at me. Sorry I'm not a LEO. The police have plenty of means to pull you over. If they cant find one they could follow you until you decide to turn without a turn signal.. and there ya go. The whole attitude and presentation during the stop has many other factors. I know some officers who if a person is really nice and isn't pissed off they just see it as an easy stop and still issue the citations. So really it all depends on the officer you get and exactly what law/ordinance you're breaking.

I will update with the 10 day information. Sorry I havn't been able to update this sticky too much recently.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
....and I'd love to tell you all about what we're working on, but then there's that fleet of Black Suburbans that show up when one says more than they should...............
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #53
MikeL
 
MikeL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by H1Chester View Post
Although, in CA it is "legal" to open carry correct?
It is legal as others have stated but it is very risky and most LEOs in California are just starting to be trained to deal with those who decide to open carry. The guys over at calguns.net are a great resource for gun related information in California and I recommend heading there as they know their stuff. They are very active in California legislation with gun related material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
Greetings fellow Camaro owners in California (and surrounding States)...

I am hearing rumblings through work that the State of California is getting ready to unleash some new smog requirements in 2011. Apparently they are going to be fairly stringent (and generate money for cash strapped Calee-fone-ia). I am trying to research and nail down where these new laws are at in the bureaucratic process. I hear they are being driven by the CARB. One of the fleet managers I work with says it is going to crimp the aftermarket because of the restrictions. If anyone hears/knows more please post.
If you hear anything else let us know!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
....and I'd love to tell you all about what we're working on, but then there's that fleet of Black Suburbans that show up when one says more than they should...............
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #54
Cabrera
Freightrain Coming Ur Way
 
Cabrera's Avatar
 
Drives: V8-1968 & V6-2000 & V6 2010 Camaros
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 820
Hope this is the right thread...

Side markers both front and back can be black/smoked but the light emitted from the has to correspond, front amber and rear red correct?
__________________
Do you serve a purpose, or purposely serve?
Cabrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #55
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!
 
Silver2SSRS6spd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
It is legal as others have stated but it is very risky and most LEOs in California are just starting to be trained to deal with those who decide to open carry. The guys over at calguns.net are a great resource for gun related information in California and I recommend heading there as they know their stuff. They are very active in California legislation with gun related material.



If you hear anything else let us know!
Just heard yesterday that Alameda County will be posting the approved good cause statements which should make it easier for one to obtain a CCW. Alameda County is the only yellow county in the Bay Area. I think that the entire state will be green within two years thanks to the high courts.
__________________
MagnaCharger TVS-2300 550rwhp 540 rwt and a radical suspension under the car.
Silver2SSRS6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #56
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!
 
Silver2SSRS6spd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 2,678
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...t-speed-traps/ LA makes the top 10 worse speed traps list!
__________________
MagnaCharger TVS-2300 550rwhp 540 rwt and a radical suspension under the car.
Silver2SSRS6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.