Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Beemer
"Red Rocket"

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Replacing fender script

I just ordered the black fender script "CAMARO" letters from EMBLEMPROS.COM (operation "BLACKOUT" is nearly complete).

I've seen suggestions here for removing the chrome emblems (dental floss, GooGone, etc.) but I'm looking for tips on applying the new emblems.

Obviously I want them straight, spaced correctly - in short, perfect. Any tips on how to do this?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
8ty8 ls1
Resident Engineer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1988 GMC S-15
i've been wanting to do the same thing...so i'll be trolling this thread.

12.68 @ 109: LSR cai, Borla S-type axle-back, Tunes
8ty8 ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
I don't know the "proper" way... but I'd just use masking tape and mask around and in between the original letters, remove them, install the new letters accordingly, and remove the tape..
Suspension: BMR Trailing Arms and Bushings, FE6 Swaybar Conversion With Pedders 27mm Front and 32mm Rear ZL1 Swaybars and Links
Chassis: Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, BMR Pro Cradle Bushings
Exterior:: Shine by Adam's.
...and plenty more
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
When I had to drill holes in my fenders and trunk lid to apply "GS" and "455" emblems on my '70, it was actually easy. But you have to be careful. Even though you're not drilling holes, planning is key

Take your emblems, and put them on a pace of cardboard. The back of a notebook works well. Trace them, then cut out the cardboard emblems. Stick those on the car with some tape, to make sure that where you choose to place them will look good. Try to do all this on a level place, so you can use a small 'torpdeo' level to make sure your emblem is straight and level

Choose some kind of datum point. Edges of fenders, creases in the sheetmetal...these will give reference points. For the sake of argument, say, 9" up, measured on the rear edge of the fender, and then 7" in, may be where the rear of the emblem should go. OK, measure it. Use a grease pencil and mark it on the car. The grease pencil will wash off later. Or use painter's tape. Painter's tape works well with the method above, using the cardboard emblems- you place the cardboard emblem, and when it's in the right spot, you block out the edges of the emblem with the painter's tape. Then you remove the cardboard emblem, leaving a 'frame' of painter's tape. Then you adhere the real emblem inside the 'frame', strip off the painter's tape, and mix yourself some iced tea, 'cause you're done
Old 07-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliwrench View Post
I don't know the "proper" way... but I'd just use masking tape and mask around and in between the original letters, remove them, install the new letters accordingly, and remove the tape..
that is the best way too do it !!!!!!
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Beemer
"Red Rocket"

Here's what I'm thinking:

Tape a wooden ruler under (or above) the existing chrome letters. Mark the ruler with the locations of the chrome letters.

Remove the existing chrome letters.

Add the new black letters using the ruler and marks as a guide.

Only possible problem would be removing the chrome letters (and glue)without disturbing the taped ruler....
Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
knew I saw this somewhere....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=Fender
Suspension: BMR Trailing Arms and Bushings, FE6 Swaybar Conversion With Pedders 27mm Front and 32mm Rear ZL1 Swaybars and Links
Chassis: Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, BMR Pro Cradle Bushings
Exterior:: Shine by Adam's.
...and plenty more
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Hupperware

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Metallic 1LT
Send a message via AIM to Hupperware Send a message via MSN to Hupperware Send a message via Yahoo to Hupperware Send a message via Skype™ to Hupperware
Quote:
I used this method. Worked great. Just be sure you mark both the top and the bottom. Getting the rubberized glue off is a bit of a pain and takes some elbow grease.
Hupperware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
Beemer
"Red Rocket"

Quote:
Nice find. I thought I searched but I guess I didn't search very well...

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
or you can put tape over the existing and pull them off on the tape they wont lose their straightness or gapping !
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote