Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
Bistem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Light Pipe for dash ABL??

I have the lights enroute to my place but for the life of me I cant find the 5mm lightpipe. it is discontinued at digi-key and when I called them they could not give me a cross reference part. Checked my local GM dealer and they can only get the pipes that are in the doors by ordering the entire door panel. Checked local car audio store that does a lot of custom work, they couldnt get it.

Just where on the web are you people finding this 5mmx1150mm light pipe??

Please help with a link.

Thanks
Bistem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT (2SS/RS)
Yea, Sorry Bistem, its tough...everyone is asking me to do their cars since I have the full dash ABL, but Digi-key is out of stock / discontinued. I was going to try a clear dowel for window blinds (the handle), but I haven't had a chance to go to Home Depot to further investigate. There is another company out there that is making a similiar product, the reviews I read on it weren't too good though. Tyco just needs to continue production, we're suffering here..lol
1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 128Mods: CAI CAI, Emblempros Dash Plaque, R/C Lic. Plate, Fbodfathers signature, AAC SMD SML, AAC P13 LED DRL, TF center console, Full dash ABL, Noweed Exhaust Diverters, Heritage Grille, Door Projectors, 20watt LED reverse lights with strobe features, S.S. black billet grille with air scoops, custom designed engine cover, custom designed "BLACKOUT" cross drilled / slotted rotors, Borla S-type exhaust, Elite Engineering oil catch can, Nitto Invo Tires WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Given that Tyco (DigiKey's supplier) has confirmed they are getting out of the light pipe business, I'm not even sure where GM is getting their parts from for doors, other than special order.

The latest recommendation is to go with Sideglow fiber optic cables but I don't recall seeing anyone's installation of it yet. http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Sideglow.htm

Sideglow may be what I end up doing if I can't get my own light pipes to work quite right. I purchased clear acylic 5mm'ish rods from eplastics.com.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Ext...Rod/ACREXR-187

It was cheap. I think I paid $13, including shipping for (4) 6' long rods. I had to improvise on the material that makes the factory light pipes work though. That white line on the back of the factory door light pipes is actually acrylic also and focuses the light into about a 30-40 degree reflective pattern. This is why alignment of the light pipe is critical for maximum light output through the dash/door panels. I'm trying it with 1/8" white pinstripe tape and it seems to work ok but not great. The light drops off too much on the far end of the light pipe. Eventually, if I can't get it right, I'll try out the Sideglow stuff and see how that is with the factory LEDs.

#1: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red M6 - July 2009-Oct 2011 (SOLD). #2: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green A6 - Oct 2011.....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Given that Tyco (DigiKey's supplier) has confirmed they are getting out of the light pipe business, I'm not even sure where GM is getting their parts from for doors, other than special order.

The latest recommendation is to go with Sideglow fiber optic cables but I don't recall seeing anyone's installation of it yet. http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Sideglow.htm

Sideglow may be what I end up doing if I can't get my own light pipes to work quite right. I purchased clear acylic 5mm'ish rods from eplastics.com.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Ext...Rod/ACREXR-187

It was cheap. I think I paid $13, including shipping for (4) 6' long rods. I had to improvise on the material that makes the factory light pipes work though. That white line on the back of the factory door light pipes is actually acrylic also and focuses the light into about a 30-40 degree reflective pattern. This is why alignment of the light pipe is critical for maximum light output through the dash/door panels. I'm trying it with 1/8" white pinstripe tape and it seems to work ok but not great. The light drops off too much on the far end of the light pipe. Eventually, if I can't get it right, I'll try out the Sideglow stuff and see how that is with the factory LEDs.
Are you trying to get it even all the way across the dash with one LED on the passenger side? If so, that is one of the most difficult pieces to get right.

It took me many attempts to get it, and then once I got it, I stopped messing with it. I twisted from the drivers side. I had to make some notches in the factory trim but once I got it, I knew it. It is a little bit fainter on the drivers side, but you'll notice even the doors do that. (There is less light up toward the dash)
Old 07-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Bistem

wonder what would have to be done with this stuff to make it work??

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/acry...er-3214-0.html
Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bistem View Post
wonder what would have to be done with this stuff to make it work??

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/acry...er-3214-0.html
The DIY halos, people have slits cut in the rear of the tube to help light reflect.

My camry halo you can see if my sig is lit up by two LEDs on each side. It appears that the ring is either textured, or has the slits cut on the back of the tube.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Bistem

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
The DIY halos, people have slits cut in the rear of the tube to help light reflect.

My camry halo you can see if my sig is lit up by two LEDs on each side. It appears that the ring is either textured, or has the slits cut on the back of the tube.
The slit cutting is kind of the direction I was thinking with this. Saw a DIY video on the home made Halos and this tube can be gotten in 5mm x 6 feet which is more than enough length. I may just order this but shipping time will be a PITA since it is coming from the UK.