Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #51
5thGenOwner

Drives: 20TEN SS/RS L99 (SIM)
L99

Had my Camaro since 11/6, and 3500+ miles... I love this engine. I think both engines are too quiet, when stock... you need to get a CAI, at least, to give some sound to your engine (no matter which). From day 1 (3 miles), this engine has run like a monster (the brutally fast kind)!

I do miss rowing through the gears, and the tap shift just isn't/won't ever be the same. :(
But I don't miss the damn clutch in LA traffic.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #52
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Never doubted the L99. Good to know so many people are satisfied with theirs - I've driven one and I know once mine is in I couldnt be happier.

Unless, there comes our way a Z28 auto.......................
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #53
acamellis
IAMACE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black A6
Send a message via AIM to acamellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
Never doubted the L99. Good to know so many people are satisfied with theirs - I've driven one and I know once mine is in I couldnt be happier.

Unless, there comes our way a Z28 auto.......................
acamellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #54
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT 99 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to CAP'N B
I want the extra horsepower of the LS3, I want the fuel mileage of the L99 and I want the neck snapping shift of an automatic tranny with a shift kit. In time I will get it after the warranty is gone.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #55
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post

Both are performance cars, both are fast, sexy and a ton of fun to drive...

True. I've driven both stock and prefer my LS3. I don't really have enough seat time to become comfortably playful with the L99, but that will change soon.

Now once the mods begin... tbd...
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #56
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderwebb View Post
I have an L99 and have 18,000 miles on it now, you've got nothing to be concerned with. I'd put my automatic against a manual anytime, with a little tweaking a few performance parts, and a well broke in engine, it will just come down to driving skills and I know the automatic will be consistant...nuff said
DITTO! (Except for the 18K miles thing...I only have 7800) I've beat every LS3 I've come up against so far. I did get beat by another L99 with more mods than mine though....guess I'll have to work on that!
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #57
Hopeful

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Anytime you think it's slow. Get someone to take you for a ride. I let my son drive mine. Scared the hell out of me!

Andy
Old 07-03-2010, 02:13 AM   #58
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acamellis View Post
My now 10,000 mile slushbox is damn fast stock. It's got that neck popping get up and go. You will outrun 95% or more of the manuals out there (Well their drivers anyway), despite what everyone claims they are not professional drivers.
The Auto is perfect... Every time... and they are not.
Be happy with that slushbox my friend and welcome to the club
Exactly.......

I outran a LS3 guy because he missed a shift, he felt embarrassed when we talked about it afterwards. "L99's never miss".....is the phrase I quote.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #59
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
see people really/ truly do not understand how much better the car feels in daily driving with a manual... you feel the low end TQ better. auto are not good sports car, man reason is you are missing the feel of the car...

people are always say ... ya lambos and porsche are autos and there are faster then manual.... man this really gets me fired up

auto = sport mode

lambo = padel shifters, with duel clutch systems... not the same as a auto

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #60
Kycamaross
RED JEWEL inthe BLUEGRASS

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 01 S-10 Xtreme
Wow, According to the numbers, I guess there are a lot of unskilled, stupid people, who bought the "unsportscar" version of the Camaro
I have driven manual transmissions for 24 years. I Got my Camaro with the L99, and I can honestly say, that I do not for one single second, regret having the A6 in this Camaro. Yes, at first I was worried about the questions to my manhood if I got the L99. But, the wife does not drive stick and I am very pleased with the A6. Either way the bottom line, is that there is a reason why car companies make these kind of vehicles with the choice of manual or auto. "To each their own". I had a blast test driving a M6 Camaro. But I'm sure not having any less fun everytime, I hammer down on the A6 I ended up purchasing. I certainly don't think the L99 owners "Permagrin" is any less than the LS3 owners. Whichever one you own, be proud of it and mash that Accelerator pedal!!!!
Attached Images

Kycamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #61
CynAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Anytime you think it's slow. Get someone to take you for a ride. I let my son drive mine. Scared the hell out of me!

Andy
I totally understand this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kycamaross View Post
Whichever one you own, be proud of it and mash that Accelerator pedal!!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #62
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
Quote:
the wife does not drive stick
Now there's the best reason yet to get the manual.
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #63
CynAgain

Old 07-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #64
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I have been watching a lot of NHRA lately. When they do the inside shot of the driver, I don't see clutch shifting. One group does pull levers, but their leg never moves. Are all the top tier, high horse power cars too fast for a driver to be able to use a clutch? I guess I could Google it.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #65
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
L99 A6 vs LS3 M6

Quote:
Wow, According to the numbers, I guess there are a lot of unskilled, stupid people, who bought the "unsportscar" version of the Camaro
I have driven manual transmissions for 24 years. I Got my Camaro with the L99, and I can honestly say, that I do not for one single second, regret having the A6 in this Camaro. Yes, at first I was worried about the questions to my manhood if I got the L99. But, the wife does not drive stick and I am very pleased with the A6. Either way the bottom line, is that there is a reason why car companies make these kind of vehicles with the choice of manual or auto. "To each their own". I had a blast test driving a M6 Camaro. But I'm sure not having any less fun everytime, I hammer down on the A6 I ended up purchasing. I certainly don't think the L99 owners "Permagrin" is any less than the LS3 owners. Whichever one you own, be proud of it and mash that Accelerator pedal!!!!
I own an L99 A6. I'm happy with it. I like to be able to chill and just cruise around. I felt that if I bought an LS3 M6 I would have a greater tendency to run thru the grears and maybe get into trouble. With that said, the L99 is an LS3 variant. The LS3 is slightly better of the two. It has 26 more HP, and a higher red line. Also there are less moving parts inside to break down. I test drove both a number of times. I really test drove them if you know what I mean. The L99 A6 is relaxing to drive. The Ls3 M6 feels more like a muscle car with a slight shake at a red light. I don't think there is a L99 stigma. Everyone loves my car. However I do think about removing my AFM lifters and cam and putting a LS3 cam and 8 more regular lifters in my car to make it more like an LS3 sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky10 View Post
I think it's just people with the feeling of it's not really sports car if it doesn't have a manual transmission. And also the fact that it is a few HP short. But as long as you are happy with your car, I wouldn't worry about the negative annotation people are giving.
I've come across this with people who don't own a 2010 camaro. Some people think/say that a true sports car needs to be a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
At the camaro5fest it was the manual Camaros that were blowing parts off the line. The old days of 3 spd std , 4 spd std or 2 speed powerglide are over...... I love my A6 SS.
Yes, it's all the manuals that are breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acamellis View Post
My now 10,000 mile slushbox is damn fast stock. It's got that neck popping get up and go. You will outrun 95% or more of the manuals out there (Well their drivers anyway), despite what everyone claims they are not professional drivers.
The Auto is perfect... Every time... and they are not.
Be happy with that slushbox my friend and welcome to the club

Most of the cars at the track are autos because autos usually do better in the quarter mile.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #66
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Stock for Stock, the comparisons have been done ad nauseum on the boards (Automatics are faster!! , Automatics are most consistent!), but they are both great cars.

I prefer the manual because, even though it's slower, it's just more fun to drive.

Glad you finally came around.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #67
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
It's just an old stigma. It's the auto vs. manual thing. Just like the V6 vs. V8 thing. If I had a V8 that put out 312 HP at the crank, no one would bat an eye. If you had a manual with 400 HP, no one would bat an eye, either. Don't worry about it. The 400 HP auto is a beast. All of the 5th generations are beasts.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #68
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
I would get the manual over the automatic personally,but I dont look down on people that get a auto.It doesnt surprise me that more automatic transmissions than manual were sold.Thats how it always is even in Corvetts.Lets face it alot of drivers dont even know how to drive a manual transmission.As far as driving a manual in stop and go traffic,Its not that different than driving a automatic.All you are doing is pushing in a clutch with your foot.I drive a tractor trailer for a living and thats a lot more difficult than driving any manual transmission equipped car.That being said,get whatever makes you happy.If someone else doesnt appreciate your choice who cares its your car not thiers.Im sure a lot of criticsm is coming from people that wished they had your "inferior" automatic Camaro.
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #69
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 99 Silverado
Mash the gas while rolling at 5 mph and tell me the A6 got nothin. Done it plenty and it still scares the bejesus out of me. Nobody that rode in my car ever asked me why I got (settled for?) the A6.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #70
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT/Sun Roof/Gray Seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonbrador View Post
Mash the gas while rolling at 5 mph and tell me the A6 got nothin. Done it plenty and it still scares the bejesus out of me. Nobody that rode in my car ever asked me why I got (settled for?) the A6.
Often, I'm asked...is that the V8? I say, "Yes." Then they say, "Well of course, you got the stick shift, right?" And I say, "No...I got the GOOD one!"

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #71
mcarney

Drives: SSRS CGM LS3
I bought an L99 because i loved the tapshift. It was fast, loud and just generally bad ass.

After a month though I was kind of bored with not being able to shift manually... or rev driving through parking lots, haha. So I traded it in for a LS3

All that aside I definately noticed the L99 felt "quicker" when I mashed down on it. With that said though the LS3 is definitely louder, and just feels more powerful. I say its feels more powerful because I can chirp in 1st-3 no problem which i couldn't do in the L99. The L99 was just too efficient in shifting.

It just comes down to what you want, I don't bash people with L99s because I drive a manual, i just have a manual because I think its more fun. Either way, it's one of the fastest cars (under 50k haha) so just enjoy what you have.

When you're really good in a past life, you come back as yourself

mcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #72
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT/Sun Roof/Gray Seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
see people really/ truly do not understand how much better the car feels in daily driving with a manual... you feel the low end TQ better. auto are not good sports car, man reason is you are missing the feel of the car...

"Ohhh, I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob..." (let's see who gets this one first...)

Last edited by PnCRedJwl2SS; 07-05-2010 at 01:37 AM.
PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #73
Revo1
Camaronogamous

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
It's because real men drive stick. Just ask macho man Randy Savage

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #74
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT 99 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to CAP'N B
The thing I have a problem with the L99 is the hesitation of the AFM being overridden, the A6 definitely has too soft a shift for me, BUT i'm used to driving a truck with a 5.3 that gets a better ET at the track than my Camaro, the truck will run 13.686 @ 98.02, and the car will run 13.744 @ 102.88, the truck has 4.10 gears the Camaro has 3.24 gears. I'm sure that if I changed the gears and a few tweaks to the tranny tune, overide the AFM and take out the torque management,the Camaro would feel better to me. I've beaten a few manual trans cars because they had to shift or missed a shift, I've had manual trans cars before so I know how to drive em, but the main thing I'm wanting is the consistency of the shift of the automatic and always in the right gear.If the L99 had a 3.45 gear, it would be a different animal, but that had to be done to meet federal emission guidelines for mpg. Maybe a manual is more fun but in traffic it's a PAIN IN THE A**.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #75
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
The AFM issue with the L99, the skip shift with the LS3. Both of those have fixes. I had my car tuned and had AFM turned off in the tune. I also had the shifts tightened up a bit. It's fun fun fun to drive it.

I love my L99. It's the right car with the right transmission for me. I don't like to "row" as my Dad would have said. I am secure enough in myself not to care what other people think I should have.

Similarly, I think if someone prefers the V6 over the V8, that is their choice as well and that is what they should get.

It's your car. Get what YOU like to drive. Don't let someone else who has an inferiority complex tell you otherwise. Enjoy YOUR Camaros, everyone!

(PS: Yes, I can and have driven a stick. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or a stud to do so. It just takes some practice.)

Tags
l99, ls3